Cook Remodeling & Custom Construction Inc

Founded 1979 • With Angi since August 2006

Cook Remodeling and Custom Construction is an award winning, design build firm serving the East Valley of Phoenix since 1979. Our design professionals will come to your home, provide a free ballpark estimate, develop a scope of work to fit your budget, and help with selections. Our nationally certified Project Managers and field team will renovate with the care as if it were for their own home, broom swept every day, delivered on-time, on-budget and beyond expectations. Award winning ....

A Service Provider's profile image

+3 more images

home remodeling (34)electrician (16)interior painting (15)woodworking (14)window replacement (13)lighting (12)drywall (12)house painting (9)stucco (9)plumbers (8)concrete repair (8)door installation (7)

04/10/2020

Phyllis L.

Quite well. When I realized the bird wires were not quite right afterwards, they sent a team out to re-do them. Here an hour, now better bird-proofed than ever. Cook did earlier work for me: a tricky, almost impossible modification of counter and cabinet that ended perfectly. On all of these messy projects, the workers kept the yard and kitchen amazingly clean.

Description of Work
Roof replaced

Category remodeling, roofing, home remodeling

Work Completed On 12/26/2019

11/28/2018

Dennis W.

Our project involved removing a load-bearing wall in the bedroom, new tile floors, bathroom cabinets and countertops. They also painted both rooms. The Cook team did an excellent job. Their subcontractors were professional and very particular. Communication was good and the job was done on a timely basis. Issues we had toward the end of the project were handled professionally. We would recommend Cook Remodeling without hesitation.

Description of Work
Remodel master bedroom and bath.

Work Completed On 11/28/2018

Thank you for sharing your Cook Remodeling experience with the Angie'[Member Information Removed] List community, and for recommending us! We have a great team and great subcontractors who are experienced professionals that care!

03/06/2018

MaryJo K.

We called Cook as they have a good reputation and we had work done by them previously. Our cabinets are 20+ years old and a dated natural (?) finish. I just wanted to have them painted and to keep the granite countertops that we installed a few years ago. When Natalie, the kitchen designer saw them she felt that they should be refinished to contrast w the counters---not painted. I am so glad I took her advice. Luis and his crew did a marvelous job.He is a perfectionist and did lots of prep to protect existing surfaces. If he wasn't happy w an area, it was redone.In addition, we had some new drawers and pull outs installed. We are very happy with the result---Luis put a beautiful finish on the cabinets in the kitchen and laundry room. With Cook you get professional results at a reasonable price.

Description of Work
kitchen cabinets were refinished

Category woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 03/06/2018

Thank you for calling Cook Remodeling again to take care of your project. We love to customize homes for clients, making their home more beautiful than before! We are often told our work is better than the original. Enjoy your "new" kitchen and laundry!

01/15/2018

Daniel D.

I cannot say enough good things about this company. From beginning to end this company is trustworthy and does quality work. If you are looking for a company that you can trust and that will do great work then I would highly recommend Cook Remodeling. In my project they removed a "skylight" (that was on the side of my house (but ugly) and they patched the ceiling on the inside. If I ever need a remodeling company in the future for anything I will go to them. I actually asked about some other projects, but the owner of the company gave me the names of the contractors that he works with and told me that I would save some money if I went through them for a few different jobs that I was looking into. Jeff, the owner, was honest, kind, and I would trust him with any project on my house.

Description of Work
General Contracting-Removal of skylight and interior drywall work

Work Completed On 01/12/2018

Thanks for the review and for noting Cook Remodeling is trustworthy, honest, and does quality work! Occasionally when someone needs a speciality project done which would not involve our crew, we do give the option of contacting the professional directly. Oftentimes people still want Cook Remodeling to manage it, knowing they can entrust their project to us to take care of it and make sure it is done well and timely! We look forward to doing more projects for you in the future!

12/06/2017

Ivars V.

Good - well done and immensely satisfied.

Description of Work
Bedroom expansion

Category concrete repair, drywall, electrician, insulation, lighting, remodeling, replacement windows, stucco, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 11/30/2017

It was a pleasure remodeling your home again! Your grandchildren are going love the space designed for their fun in mind! Thank you for always calling Cook Remodeling!

12/04/2017

Elizabeth G.

I am very pleased with the work. It was my first remodel and the Cook employees walked me through every step. They were meticulous about the work and made sure everything was installed properly and all faucets/showerheads hooked up and working properly.

Description of Work
I had my bathroom remodelled. We created a large shower where our tub and shower had been and installed a new vanity.

Work Completed On 10/30/2017

Thank you for choosing Cook Remodeling for your bathroom makeover. Now you can enjoy starting and ending your day in a bathroom that is just the way you want it! It is our pleasure to get everything just right!

11/12/2017

Travis F.

Perfect! Exactly what I wanted! Solid wood structure, with quality design! It’s beautiful!

Description of Work
Outdoor kitchen with all wood custom Gazebo

Category remodeling, outdoor kitchens

Work Completed On 06/05/2015

We love working with clients with such good taste! The mix of materials with the stainless steel appliances, the countertop with a fire feature, the stacked natural stone and the wood structure was in great balance. It has all the charm of being the mountains with all modern amenities! It is a great extension of your beautiful home.

11/12/2017

Travis F.

Great work! The owner, Jeff is reliable, honest, and cares about good quality. Through working with him, we discovered he has been a contractor for decades in AZ, and his experience shows! WORKMANSHIP was detailed, service and pricing were spot on! Highly recommend this company!

Description of Work
Remodel of former rental, from kitchen to bath, roof, paint, fixtures, the works!

Category electrician, lighting, remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 11/16/2017

It was amazing for us to be a part of a strategic makeover for a rental property that jumped the value of the home so much, and sold so quickly!

11/10/2017

Andrea F.

Perfect! Love the service and the results!

Description of Work
Gazebo for back yard.

Category decks, remodeling

Work Completed On 03/04/2017

Review for Cook Remodeling & Custom Construction Inc - 100 W. HOOVER AVE., Mesa, AZ - 36550408

We were happy to be a part of making such a beautiful outdoor kitchen and party central entertainment center! It should be in a magazine!

11/08/2017

Jennifer K.

They provided excellent quality of services from beginning to end. You would never know the room is an "addition", it looks like it was designed to be there. The attention to detail and professionalism was evident throughout all the work. Jeff wont settle for anything less than awesome. We are incredibly pleased and would definitely recommend them highly and without reservation. They take their time to do it RIGHT!

Description of Work
Cook Remodeling transformed a patio into a beautiful bedroom.

Work Completed On 11/08/2017

It was truly a pleasure partnering with you on this project. It is exciting for us when we are able to take a client's idea, and make the home better than they even thought it could be. We are all about making the home functional for a family's needs, and more beautiful too!

10/06/2017

Virginia R.

Excellent company and excellent service. Everyone that came to work was always pleasant, knew what they were doing and did not cut corners. Always easy to get a hold of and would listen to my thoughts on the project. Together we would make decisions and they always were positive and very knowledgeable. Usually having construction in your home can be stressful, not with Cook Remodeling. I so appreciate their amazing job well done.

Description of Work
Enclose patio to create a new 5th bedroom, expand living room and add a new patio in a diff location than before.

Category remodeling, sunrooms

Work Completed On 09/01/2017

Review for Cook Remodeling & Custom Construction Inc - 100 W. HOOVER AVE., Mesa, AZ - 36372450

[Member Name Removed], It was such a pleasure working on your project. Thank you for your kinds words and the review! Lory Horn, Office Manager Cook Remodeling and Custom Construction.

07/21/2017

Marta A.

Cook Remodeling is the best contractor we've ever worked with ... and we've worked with a lot of them. While they were quite a bit more expensive than than the other estimates we received, we decided to give them a try because of the impression we got in our initial interviews. We are glad we made the decision and feel like the extra money was well spent. Our designer & project manager were attentive and -- very importantly -- interested in figuring out how to give us exactly what we wanted. There were unusual challenges with this job and Cook accepted these challenges. Some contractors would have simply told us we couldn't have what we wanted. Cook said they wanted to try to get it done....and they did. We saw our project manager almost every day. He called every morning to tell us what would be happening and who would be working. Each worker showed up on time (important) and -- amazingly -- made a point of introducing themselves and carefully went over what they understood their assignment to be. When we did have a problem with one subcontractor, our project manager was here immediately to find out what was wrong and he represented us to the subcontractor (it usually goes the other way around) and made sure the work was redone correctly. For the most part, we had the same 3 or 4 people working the job and they were all more than competent, caring, careful and very friendly. We are fairly demanding and picky customers but came away from this project with absolutely no complaints. We have other projects lined up and will hire Cook again. We don't need to interview any other firm.

Description of Work
Remodel of a screened in porch to make it appear to be more like an interior room.

Category remodeling, sunrooms

Work Completed On 05/08/2017

Thank you for such a high compliment, saying we were the best contractor you have ever worked with. That is our core purpose, to provide a good experience while delivering on-time, on-budget. We build the project with the attention and care as if it were for our house. We look forward to doing your next project. We love transforming people'[Member Information Removed] homes to just how they want them, better than they were before, and to be just like new again!

06/05/2017

Douglas L.

The addition turned out real nice and looks like it was part of the original construction. Very happy with Jeff and his team. They communicated issues clearly and early, and made me aware of my options. I would definitely hire them again as GC.

Description of Work
Cook construction completed a 1,000 sq. ft. addition to my home.

Category drywall, electrician, picture framing, insulation, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, replacement windows, woodworking, stucco, house painters, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 07/20/2016

[Member Name Removed], Thank you so much for taking the time to post a positive review regarding your recent construction experience with Cook Remodeling & Custom Construction. We value our client'[Member Information Removed] opinions and are always striving to provide superior construction for our clients, based on honesty, excellent communications and commitment to craftsmanship Our vision and goal is to have each client enjoy a finished product with complete satisfaction and feel that their needs and wants were understood and met. Cook Remodeling Management Team

04/15/2017

Sonia C.

It went very well. I changed my mind a couple of times and Cook Remodeling was very understanding. What I did not like, they took care of right away.

Description of Work
I remodeled my kitchen and changed a window into a pantry.

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, concrete repair, drywall, electrician, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, marble & granite, stucco, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, cabinet refacing

Work Completed On 04/13/2017

It has been a pleasure working on your home remodeling projects through the years. We understand that as a project is started, one can want to change or add things. We take it in stride. May you enjoy your "new" home for many years to come! Together, we made it more beautiful!

01/16/2017

Tina B.

A representative came out to look at my home for the purposes of giving an estimate. He stated he would get back to me in about a week with the estimate; it's been 4 weeks and I never heard from him. Frankly, I wouldn't have chosen to move forward with him because I didn't feel it was the best fit for me, and communication style was an important part of the bid process for me. But the disregard for my time and my business was a definite annoyance.

Description of Work
Paint, flooring, cabinetry

Work Completed On 12/21/2016

We are always happy to come to see the home to assist the homeowner in clarifying the scope of the project and help with our ideas and experience in developing the design, and providing a estimate. We are sorry that you did not receive your voice mail with your ballpark estimate. Our standard is to also follow up with an email when we do not hear back in case it was a wrong number, etc., and that did not get done. We hope you project was completed to your satisfaction! Thank you for meeting with us.

01/05/2017

Carol S.

I was very impressed with the way the whole project was done and in a timely manner. The daily clean-up by all the crews was so appreciated as I was living in the house throughout the project.

Description of Work
Extended the existing family room, added a sitting room to master bedroom, remodeled master bath and added a new patio.

Category ceramic tile, concrete repair, drywall, electrician, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, stucco, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, doors, patios

Work Completed On 04/01/2016

We do strive to keep the site tidy during the day, and broom swept when we leave for the day. We do our best to minimize disruption, and contain the dust. We work hard to orchestrate all the professionals so we can quickly deliver a finished project for homeowners to enjoy!

12/22/2016

Joe O.

Once Jeff began the work everything we assumed was in the quote became a change order. The price just kept climbing. We then asked on of his subcontractors what some of the additional work would cost and he gave us price. Jeff quickly jumped in and said that is before my mark up. We asked for his mark up and he said 50%. We then required documentation. When he sent the documentation (file attached) it showed 60% mark up. When we dug deeper we realized the 60% was on an artificial cost. If he had showed his actual cost then it would have been 100% mark up. He even marked up the portable toilet he puts in the yard. He even padded all of his employees hours. We work out of the house so we know exactly when the workers were here. In addition to the above problems Jeff never applied or received a required building permit. He did major structural work. When confronted about the permit Jeff said "Since it was inside I didn't think anyone would catch us." We wonder what else Jeff did that didn't get caught.

Description of Work
We hired Jeff cook to remove a load bearing wall, raise air conditioning to roof, widen hallway, new electrical work, fix flooring and repair all damage done by project.

Category electrician, lighting, remodeling, woodworking, interior painters

Work Completed On 12/22/2016

Review for Cook Remodeling & Custom Construction Inc - 100 W. HOOVER AVE., Mesa, AZ - 34194004

12/20/2016

Denise Q.

Great! I Highly recommend Cook Remodeling! People like Jeff are rare!

Description of Work
Jeff is a very respectful man and is very honest. His crew were the same.

Category remodeling, replacement windows

Work Completed On 04/15/2016

Thank you for the opportunity to remodel your home, and make it more energy efficient. We feel very blessed to have assembled a crew of very respectful professionals that you can put your confidence in!

11/12/2016

Alice G.

In the planning stage Jeff Cook offered ideas I hadn't considered, and price ranges for items I was considering but not sure about. Throughout the work, he and his work crew were punctual, professional and trustworthy. His master carpenter has amazing skills and was meticulous. They installed dust curtains and always cleaned up after themselves. He worked with us and our desire to stretch the budget by doing things we could do, like painting and popcorn ceiling removal. When the granite sub-contractor ran into some issues, he found another alternative and the outcome was great. His office support was extremely helpful and held my hand through my technical challenges with the online payment system. Jeff came highly recommended from a family member who used him for two projects and I would definitely recommend him. If his bid is slightly more than another bidder, consider the quality of work you will be living with and what surprise expenses you may not be paying later. Jeff is a man of his word.

Description of Work
Transformed and modernized an 80s house. Created a a great room and updated adjoining kitchen. Removed wall, part of wall, raised ceilings, redid duct work (improving the air flow), extensive electrical work and new fixture installation, drywall installation and repair, granite counter-top installation, tiled back-splash, installed custom range hood and appliances, made breakfast bar, cut and repaired concrete for installation of floor plugs.

Category electrician, lighting, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 10/15/2016

Thank you for the thorough description of the type of work we do. We concur, though it may seem that we are more expensive, we have heard from other people who went with a lower bid that they ended up paying the other contractor more than what we estimated it should cost! Our mantra is to do what is right, so we enjoy retaining quality craftsman. They know they will be proud of what they do on the Cook Remodeling team!

11/06/2016

Johannah N.

From the designer to construction foreman, my project expectations were exceeded. The designer captured my vision and the construction foreman was very attentive. Although I requested a couple of adjustments during the process, the Cook team did not miss a beat.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel

Work Completed On 10/03/2016

We are happy to provide both experienced designers and field crew. We want people to have their home be just how they want it, and we know ideas do come to mind during the process. Congratulations on your beautiful bathroom!

10/08/2016

Jeffrey W.

The two to three month project took about three months longer than expected, during which time we were mostly w/o a place to cook, and the kitchen area was mostly unusable. The sorts of problems we encountered included: 1. Counter installed sloping toward back wall (and never corrected). 2. Counter top delivered with chip that had been "fixed" with the an epoxy that looked like chewing gum. The head installer blamed underlings who used the wrong product and after two months of asking & waiting, the problem was finally fixed. 3. Poor planning of installation of light fixtures, so we have a somewhat odd pattern of ceiling cans. 4. The sink was incorrectly installed, so it started to separate from its undermount. It took two tries over a couple of weeks to get it correctly installed. 5. Extractor hood installation was delayed due to an error in ordering. 6. The countertop style was not what we not what we originally selected, and Cook Remod was unable to provide any paperwork for the countertop purchase that might indicate where the mistake was made. 7. They twice tried to bill us for the installation of the water heater as additional work, but it was clearly identified in the original plan. In remodeling, one often gets into a game of assigning blame due to changes in plans. The major delay that was not directly the fault of Cook Remodeling was the discovery of plumbing leaks, which led us to have them re-pipe the house. I would estimate that work added a delay of one week. An underlying problem seems to be mediocre staff or subcontractors.

Description of Work
We wanted to fully remodel our kitchen plus fix up a few odds and ends (floor tile, water heater). The work included: - New cabinets, counter tops & sink - New floor tile - Covering two walls with Mexican tile - New stove - Upgrade to electrical to meet code - New lighting

Work Completed On 09/26/2016

We are sorry for how your project progressed because of the countertop issue. We will never use that countertop fabricator again. We did our best to address issues and communicate status. May you enjoy your new, beautiful kitchen!

06/20/2015

will R.

Overall it was an EXCELLENT experience. There were a couple hitches, but it was only due to one project manager's attitude toward the project. The upper management were quick to make up for his short-comings. It was a great lesson in how most people want to do the right thing, and you just need to have some patience with those who may not share the same ideas. The tradesman (James V.) had a highly professional attitude, excellent work ethic, and was a perfect fit. Every time there was an issue or unexpected change in the process, he was quick to notify me and had suggestions on how to proceed already in hand. I really can't say enough about how hard he worked to "Make It Right" and HIS EFFORT is the major reason I will be using this company in the future, and recommending them.

Description of Work
Remodel of the TV room. Removal of pocket wall that fit older TV sets and speakers, installed new wall, insulation, drywall, electrical, tile flooring, and paint.

Category drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, insulation, remodeling, home theater design, interior painters