Bert Black Service Co

With Angi since July 2006

PO Box 17386

Little Rock, AR 72222

We are a full service heating, air conditioning, electrical, plumbing and glass company. We service all brands. We take great pride in our sincere dedication to service and to quality. As our customers increased, their needs changed. So to better serve our customers, we have added many additional

01/11/2022

Ralphienia R.

The technician showed up on time and professional. I told him what was going on and he went to work. When he was done, he came in explained what he had fixed and explained what else needed to be done. I was very impressed that he went that extra mile to make sure that the heater was working before he left even though it would be a few days before they could get the parts to fix it. Overall, I would definitely recommend them to other businesses and individuals.

Description of Work
Heater was tripping the breaker in one of my units at Edge Oaks Apartments.

Category electrician

12/28/2017

RJ M.

It went much better than I expected. I'm reluctant to hire contractors, but this job went flawlessly. They were very punctual, professional, and answered tons of my questions throughout the whole install. There was no pressure for a sale.....I don't make quick decisions when it comes to major expenditures, and Russell (our contact) answered them all immediately. Great experience.

Description of Work
Replaced both downstairs and upstairs Central Air and Heating systems with Amana high efficiency units (20+ SEER & 96% Furnace).

10/26/2016

Daniel M.

The staff were all very professional and courteous, but their pricing and practices are questionable. The tech worked on trying to clear our clog for a few hours, but was unsuccessful. Eventually he called a Rooter company to clear it, and their tech took care of it promptly. My problem lies with how I was charged for this service. Bert Black was unable to fix my problem - the other company did it. So what am I paying them for? I understand that their tech came out and worked on the issue for a while, so I can justify paying for *something*. But if I had just called the other company in the first place, I'd be paying far less. Bert Black charges $79 for the service call, or you can pay $200 for a Gold Club membership, which covers the fee for all service calls for a year. It also gives 15% off the cost of any work done and includes one air conditioning service. So, the Gold Club seems like a fair deal. However, they charge $289.97 for "toilet pull and stoppage". This is where I have a problem - they can't explicitly detail what this service is. All I could get was that it covers removing the toilet and replacing/re-sealing it. I assume it also includes snaking the drain, but they did not say that when I asked. I don't feel that I should pay them for this service when they didn't actually fix the problem. The company that *did* fix it is charging $175 total, billed via Bert Black. This includes their service call fee, clearing the drain, and putting the toilet back in place (They charge $40 for removing and re-placing the toilet. I checked). So Bert Black is effectively billing me for the same service twice, even though they're not the ones who fixed it. The person I spoke with explained that this other company "works for him", but as far as I can tell, it's a totally separate company and they "work for him" in the same way that they would "work for me" if I called them directly. They're just billing Bert Black for services rendered, and passing that fee along to me.

Description of Work
We had a clogged line under the toilet and tub, leading to the sewer. The provider attempted to clear the blockage using a snake/auger. They were unable to clear the blockage, so they called a Rooter company to come do it.

02/12/2016

Jim & Dorothy M.

Exceptional. They were highly professional, sensitive to our needs, and extremely helpful. They had reasonable fees.

Description of Work
They installed a water cut off outdoor valve.

06/14/2015

Judith C.

All went well. Service man checked the motor, condenser and made sure the unit was cooling properly before he left.

Description of Work
I have a contract for heat and air service semi-annual check ups. This was the Spring check.

06/12/2015

Jim & Dorothy M.

The technician explained everything in detail and provided us a discount. Everything was done to my satisfaction.

Description of Work
Provided general indoor plumbing services. They serviced the kitchen and bathrooms.

02/19/2015

Colin L.

Have a contract to have AC system service summer and winter

Description of Work
Contract service of heating system.

12/17/2014

Suzanne K.

First, it's a shame that the new owners have kept the Bert Black name considering that Bert Black was a good contractor and the new owners are not in my opinion. After Mr. Black sold the company, I had them come out and service my AC unit--the original Mr. Black had replaced it in 2008. That went fine. Next I called to get an estimate on painting--new owner sent someone to measure--that was in about August 2010. I had fallen and put a large hole in the hall wall and wanted it repaired and painted. I wanted to at least have it fixed by the holidays. I called back several times to get the quote and when I finally was able to talk to someone, I was informed they now had too many commercial paint jobs and my little one wasn't worth their time and they'd have to hire more people to do residential jobs. They should have taken that off their web site then The last and final straw was in about Spring 2012 when I called and jokingly said my AC wasn't working. I just wanted the seasonal service call that they had been advertising. When the serviceman came and did the service--recharged the coolant--he told me it was $300+ and when I checked with the girl in the office, she said I hadn't specified the seasonal servicing so it was full price, plus the coolant (which I had expected to have to pay for anyway). I said well at least I'll get a new filter and was informed that the owner didn't even provide filters any more. If you are going to use them ask very specific questions and get everything in writing upfront--or you might just be too small a job for them anyway and not worth their time--or get the job done for a higher price than you expected to pay.

Description of Work
Fix HVAC

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

In response to your experience with Bert Black, let me first say we apologize you had such a disappointing experience. Due to the length of time that has passed since our services were performed and this review (nearly three years), we can say that at Bert Black Service Companies we encourage you to try our service again. I have reviewed your history with our company, and unfortunately this was not brought to my attention at the time when this was a problem. We can assure you that even though this happened nearly three years ago, that if you would contact our office we would be more than happy to discuss this matter with you. Our goal at Bert Black Service Companies is to assure our customers are 100% satisfied 100% of the time.

05/05/2014

Jim & Dorothy M.

They do what they say they are going to do. We have been using them for nearly 20 years and we have not had any problems with them. We have a contract with them.

Description of Work
We have been using Bert Black Service Co to do the seasonal service of our air conditioner and heating unit for years.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Loyal and long time customers make being in the service industry an enjoyable experience. Not only do we strive to keep you happy, but desire to continue building our relationship. Thank you for taking the time to let others know how we have been able to help you maintain your furnace and a/c and keep you comfortable throughout the years. Sincerely, Bert Black Service Companies

03/31/2014

Bharti M.

A total rip off these guys charged over $200 for a trivial job they start the hour from the time they leave their office. Will not recommend them overpriced.

Description of Work
Change switch in dinning area and checked other outlets.

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

I’m sorry you had an unsatisfactory service call, and believe you were not charged accordingly for the time and material to complete the work requested and that was added after the original service call was made. We do want to let you know we appreciate the feedback you provided and since the service call, we have expanded our electrical division to include highly skilled and trained Master Electricians. Our electricians are equipped to efficiently handle any job and do it at a cost effective price for our customers. As a reminder, the current electrician hourly rate is $85.00. We are better equipped to provide additional options and free estimates for any desired work. Please feel free to email the office at [hyperlink removed] and we will be glad to help you with any future projects. Sincerely, Bert Black Service Companies

11/26/2013

Jeanne M.

Russell did an excellent job! It took him a while to problem solve, but he finally found the problem, and checked out everything and made sure it worked. I would have no hesitation using Bert Black again in the future, for any issue in my house.

Description of Work
Found the problem to why I had no heat...it was a switch that got turned off.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We like to take a can do attitude about any project we are presented with. Never give up and the problem will be resolved. We believe our technicians think outside the box and push forward with more force and a finer finish. We are glad you called Bert Black Service Company to keep you warm this past winter.

11/18/2013

Christi M.

My phone call was actually answered, which was nice after several calls to places where I only received voicemail messages. Christy was able to fit me in at the end of a busy day without any problems. She called when the plumber was on his way. He showed up as promised. The work was done quickly. The rate was absolutely fair.

Description of Work
Pipe repair and clean out.

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

No call goes unanswered. Our staff is loyal, honest, and will strive to go above and beyond their own expectations. We are thankful you made the call.

10/18/2013

Jim R.

It went alright, the price seemed a little high.

Description of Work
They have done some plumbing work for me

Category plumbing

Thank you for your response, our rates are equal to most other service companies our size. We do our best to provide excellent service to our customers and stay within affordable service rates.

09/21/2013

Katherine M.

Service technician was prompt, punctual, informative and did not overcharge me for services that were not needed. He informed me of recommendations that could be done in the future. I will use this company again.

Description of Work
Inspected my AC unit and made recommendations.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

Thank you for taking the time and effort to let others know how pleased you were with our services. We take pride in providing professional, courteous, and efficient customer service and work. We are glad to have such wonderful, & loyal customers reciprocate their appreciation.

08/13/2013

Steve H.

Very well. They promptly returned calls, discussed all my questions by phone and on site before the work was done, arrived when scheduled, and completed all work in 1 day. The new heat pump cools great.

Description of Work
Removed downstairs heat pump and air handler and put in new ones.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for using Bert Black Service Companies when searching for a company to complete your new unit install. We strive to be the best and most efficient when it comes to getting the job done and completely right the first time. We are glad to know that we are keeping our customers cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

06/11/2013

Paul S.

He is timely and he knew exactly how to rectify the situation and did it.

Description of Work
We have used Bert Black Service several times for plumbing services. The last time he came out, he rectified a commode and it works now.

Category plumbing

Thank you for choosing Bert Black Service Companies. We stand behind our work and when parts don't hold up as we expect them too, we appreciate you notifying us and allowing us to correct the problem. Sincerely, Bert Black Service Companies

06/05/2013

Michael S.

Everything went well. They did an adequate inspection, and the price was reasonable given that they offered an Angie's List discount.

Description of Work
They did a standard inspection of my air conditioner.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Yearly maintenance should be completed on both your A/C and Furnace to allow the unit to function properly and continue to run through the toughest of seasons. This can prevent many problems from happening and being proactive is more cost effective than being reactive. Bert Black Service Companies offers a competitive Preventative Maintenance Program that provides the customer with priority service, 10% discount on all materials and labor whether performed during the regular visits or any other service calls during the period covered by the program. Our friendly staff will call to remind you to schedule each visit and follow up until service appointment is scheduled. Many of our customers have busy lives, and this service can sometimes be forgotten. We are a full service company and thank you for making the call.

04/02/2013

ADA S.

We had a plumbing issue that lead to us needing to remove the caulk in our shower. My husband didn't want us to re-caulk without having someone come look to make sure it would be ok. I called Bert Black Services and they were able to come within a week or two to look at the situation and gave me a fair price to complete the work. I am very pleased with them.

Description of Work
Cleaned out old caulke in shower and recaulked shower and drain.

Category plumbing

Older homes can sometimes have unseen issues that might not always be visible to the untrained eye. We are glad you gave Bert Black Service Company the call to take care of your bathroom re-caulk job. We have since expanded our Carpentry division and strive to have the job complete in two weeks from the time we give the estimate to adding the finishing touches. Keep us in mind when doing any re-modeling of an older home. We have three other divisions other than carpentry: Electrical, HVAC, & Plumbing. We look forward to answering the call when you need us.

03/18/2013

jeff G.

Old water heater was leaking, so we were in a rush to get a replacement. Should have made sure that plumber was able to help us convert from electric to gas.

Description of Work
Replace water heater and modify closet. There were 2 problems: (1) I wanted to convert from electric to gas but plumber didn't know how (we have gas line nearby), and (2) plumber did not install drip pan under the new electric water heater. Water heater is in an inside closet sitting directly on plywood. When we went to sell our house, we had to pay to have a drip pan installed under the water heater. My heating and air person also mentioned that it would have been easy to convert to a gas water heater - which would have saved us a lot of money over the lifetime of the water heater. Another plumber told us that the supply lines go up and back down to water heater - which apparently isn't up to code (not supposed to go up?).

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

I'm sorry you had a negative experience. If your service date is correct, that was 12 years ago and was under different ownership at that time. Unfortunately, we do not have records of work done under the previous owner so I am not able to speak to what was, or was not, done. I can tell you that I do have two Master Plumbers and two Journeyman plumbers on staff now that are all licensed and up to date on all codes and policies to meet State requirements. Again, I do apologize for your past experience under the previous ownership, and can promise to you that we will always do our best to make sure our customers are completly satisfied.

01/22/2013

lynn T.

Very well. I was putting my house on the market. They did a very good assessment of the problem. They then installed a new hot water heater which was vented and up to code. I felt confident in their expertise and know how.

Description of Work
Professional, straightforward.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Thank you for calling on Bert Black Service Companies to take care of plumbing work as you prepared to sell your home. We have helped many customers prepare for selling their property when inspection reports showed punch list items that required repair or replacement. We are proud to be a part of paving the way for a positive experience and lasting memories for each of our customers both present and future.

11/19/2012

Barbara W.

knowlegable and professional fair price on time the other owners of condos were pleased with this service... they provide this seasonal service every year.....so far I am happy with them and will continue to use...... I am on the board of directors for these condos and woule continue to reccomend Bert black for this service...

Description of Work
seasonal heat and air check special price to forest heights condos

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We are honored to serve so many in our community. Thank you for choosing Bert Black Service Company and we hope to continue to surpass all expectations and keep our customers cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

10/22/2012

Jennifer H.

We have terribly hard water here, so I was surprised that there was no water softener. When I called the water softener company, the representative told me I would need a loop installed by a plumber, which sounded expensive. After checking Angie's List, I called Bert Black for an estimate and was told that estimates are free, despite living some distance from them. We scheduled a date, which I forgot and, worse, I slept through the four reminder phone calls made by the company. Once I contacted them, they were extremely pleasant and understanding, and made another appointment within days. The plumber came out (after another reminder call) and immediately said that I didn't need a loop because the softener company had access through the crawl space, which is actually huge - the size of a full basement. I hadn't realized that (new house) and the softener company hadn't checked. While we were in the crawl space, though, he noticed water on the floor and traced it back to the shower drain in the master bedroom. He said that he had time to fix it then and did so. In total, the plumber was here just under an hour and charged me a total of $85. After saving me hundreds of dollars on a loop installation, I was thrilled.

Description of Work
Estimate for installing a loop (originally) and repair of a shower drain pipe.

Category plumbing

Bert Black Service Companies is licensed, bonded and insured and along with that support we have skilled technicians that are highly trained and educated to resolve plumbing concerns that the untrained eye wouldn't see. We always alert the home owners of any potential plumbing issues because it isn't often that home owners spend much time crawling around under their own homes to determine what is going on until there is a noticeable difference. Our reminder calls are just that, to remind our busy customers that we are due to service their property. This is just one added benefit and security that we can alleviate a lot of stress that can sometimes be present with home ownership and necessary repairs. Thank you for allowing us to service your property.

10/08/2012

Patrick L.

Overall it went well. Be sure to check everything, don't assume hot water and cold water are hooked up in the correct order.

Description of Work
Quick response. Jose was great, very professional and explained everything in detail. He answered all my calls over the weekend. Fair price for plumbing work. I also needed sheetrock work and cabinet/trim re-hung. Quote for this work was high. I was able to find an indepentent for this and saved $2K. I did the paint myself, which was only 2 3x6 areas.

Category plumbing

Bert Black Service Companies technicians are available 24/7 because that possibility always exists for unplanned home maintenance. We are glad that our service technician was there to answer the call. We do our best to offer competitive estimates, however we understand wanting to obtain the best rate. We hope that should you need another estimate, you will give us a call to see what we can do for you.

05/05/2012

Beth A.

I had to make an after hours call and John was very prompt. It took about an hour and now I can sleep in a cool house tonight.

Description of Work
I have a leaking coil that made it through last summer with a refill of coolant until today.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Arkansas residents are no strangers to the hot and humid conditions during the summer. It is almost impossible to remain comfortable in a house when the A/C stops working. We are glad you made the call and chose Bert Black Service Company to keep you cool and comfortable through the hottest summer in years.

04/18/2012

Jim & Dorothy M.

We have a fall and spring maintenance contract with them.

Description of Work
Bert Black Service Co does our heating & Air.

Mister Sparky Central Arkansas

Available 24/7 - you can reach us anytime. We offer 24 hour emergency service, small appointment windows and prompt service. Technician Seal of Safety Certified - Highly trained, background checked, and drug-tested technicians. Comfort Qualified Company-Insured, licensed, bonded, and offering the best warranties. Premier products and equipment - you get what we install in our own homes! Neat & tidy service - your home is treated like our own...with respect and care. 100% satisfaction guarantee - if your work isn't right, we'll make it right for free. Homeowner Helper Financing - low rates, high approvals, low monthly payments.

Award 2022
    Offers by Mister Sparky Central Arkansas on Angi
    Air-FX Inc.

We are a complete Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning repair and replacement company offering over 30 years experience and a dealer in York products. We service all makes and models. We also will install any brand name a customer requests. Trip charges apply for out of area service. Please call for details. Our business is owner serviced (yes I go on repairs and installs also!)

WILLIAMS MECHANICAL SERVICES, INC.

We have over 20 years experience in the Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration business. We provide sales and service for all major lines of equipment. Williams Mechanical services also provides Computrols building automation systems, Thermographic testing, Vibration Analysis, Laser alignment, and Eddy Current testing. Williams Mechanical Services also has a pipe fitting department where we provide threaded, welded, and groove lock piping

Offers by WILLIAMS MECHANICAL SERVICES, INC. on Angi

Repairs, Sales & Installations of A/C units, Furnaces, Plumbing, Faucets Installation & Repairs, Video Sewer Inspections, Plumbing-Drain Cleaning, Pipe Repiping & Installation, Electrical Troubleshooting & Repair, Service Panel Repair & Installation, Generators sales & installation, Installation of Recessed Lights, Outdoor Lighting, Hot Water Tanks Repairs, Sales & Installation, Tankless Water Heaters Installations