JOHNS PLUMBING INC

Founded 1984 • With Angi since July 2006

2.9

5851 SERVICE RD

Birmingham, AL 35235

28 EMPLOYEES. USES SUBS FOR VARIOUS JOBS. CHARGES ARE BY THE HOUR OR THE JOB. $39 TRAVEL CHARGE. AFTER HOUR CHARGES APPLY....

09/21/2018

Ryan J.

At first, this company was extremely helpful. However, after multiple visits they became less and less reliable. Moreover, they became less reliable and then blamed it on us because we had "too many hoops to jump through". We had heating issues for one shower head in a bigger shower. It needed a newer cartridge so that hot water would once again come through the valve. After first visit they realized they needed a picture of old said cartridge but blamed it on us for not having one in the first place. They said "they were never given permission to take a picture" which is simply a lie. After THREE visits they were finally able to install the correct cartridge. We then wanted to use them to quote us for new tankless water heaters and they simply said "we are too busy". After calling back and seeking the truth they said again that we have ridiculous expectations and too many hoops to jump through. I guess having high expectations and the need for things to be done correctly and respectfully is too high. Do not use this company if you share the same expectations. They lied to our faces, and made us out to be the bad guy.

Description of Work
Shower valve cartridge

12/30/2014

David A.

12/26/2013

Alex E.

The experience with John's Plumbing Company was terrible, costly and the work was poorly done and leaking. When I advised them the work was leaking and water was running into the den, they did not come back to fix the leak. I had to fix the leak, myself. Additionally, they uninstalled our clothes dryer and installed a water heater that was too large, preventing the reinstallation of the dryer. The installer then went upstairs and collected payment in full for the work from a ninety-four-year-old man who cannot walk and a ninety-year-old lady who is blind and made no mention of the leak or the condition of the clothes dryer. The Details: On August 15, 2012, I called John's Plumbing Company of Birmingham, Alabama, near Trussville to replace a failed water. When we complained the next day about the dryer being uninstalled, Jerry, the installer, and Kenny, the owner of John's Plumbing Company, both told us they don't make eighteen-inch-diameter water heaters any more (which would be required to fit the dryer back in place). I knew this was not true because I had already called six plumbing supply companies in Birmingham and found eighteen-inchers at all six AND I had already purchased one at Lowe's, a local lumber and home improvement center. Having been lied to by the installer who claimed fifteen years experience and the owner who claimed to have been in the business forty-five years, I was in no way going to trust them to do the job over. I hired another company to re-do the job entirely whose work was totally acceptable and at $428 less money. I am so angry over this that I bought a John's Plumbing domain name and set up a web site to tell about it. I'm sure they don't allow links here; but, if you Google up: WARNING JOHN'S PLUMBING, it will be on the first page of links.

Description of Work
Replaced a water heater.

12/17/2012

Kay B.

Our main sewer line backs up about every year or two because there is a dip in the line. We have a concrete slab so the line can't be straightened. The last company we used before finding John's charged us well over $400. John's charged us $248. I had someone else come to fix the drip in our faucet. It starting dripping again in just a few days. John's rebuilt both handles at a cost of $102. The faucet has not dripped since then. When we call John's they send someone out as soon as possible. They always arrive when they say they will. We really like the service men who come as they are very nice people and they always explain exactly what the problem was and what they did to correct it. Thank you Angie for your review.

Description of Work
My husband and I decided that finding John's Plumbing on Angie's List made our annual dues worth the cost. We have used them four times now. Plumbers we used before were either too costly or didn't completely solve our problem. On their last trip to our house (on 07/26/2012) they solved two problems. They unstopped our main sewer line and they fixed one of our faucets so it wouldn't drip.

05/26/2012

Betty T.

I had bought replacement faucets for 3 bathroom lavatories and a faucet for the kitchen. I had cleared out everything under the sinks so they could access the faucet connections easily. It should have been a no-brainer job. I'm female and 75 years old with cancer history and can't do all I want to do and used to do. No more than 15 years ago, I would have replaced them myself with no probs. I have done replacements all my adult life. Two strong young men should have been able to do the job quick and easy. I should have used Lowes where I bought the faucets but a friend recommended these folks. Hope she got a 'gift.'

04/26/2012

Lynda M.

I have used Johns for 4-5 jobs in the past 1.5 years. They have always been punctual and performed the work well. However, every time they come out the price of the service call has escalated. I am particularly incensed about the last visit. They cam to my house to move an outside gas line 2.5 feet to accomodate a new gas grill. They worked for 1 hour and 10 minutes. They installed ~5 feet of flexible cooper tubing and a valve. I looked up the parts. Retail they are approximately $20. The charge for this was $440. I am a 60 year old woman - I think these people were taking advantage of my age and ignorance of pricing. i will never use them again and i suggest that unless you know what decent pricing for a job is that you don't either! This is the first time i have ever given anyone a negative review but I truly belive a warning is needed. I will also call my local BBB.

04/08/2012

Carla E.

Sewer main was blocked. We called Jefferson County Sewer Service who REFUSED to correct the problem even though it was something they should correct. Sine we are aprox.1/4 miles from Cahaba River estuary, we felt it important to fix the problem. John's plumbing was prompt to get out to our home when we explained our concern. We have been told that Jefferson County didn't even send inspectors out to inspect anymore since the Sewer Service had -0- money but we wanted to make sure the job was done correctly.

Description of Work
The service folks did a good job and cleaned out aprox.100 feet of blocked sewer main and filmed the service. Highly recommend.

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

04/02/2012

Erna K.

The job went very well. I was really pleased with them. I don’t’ think it was too bad of a price. The quality of their work was very good. I will use this company again in the future.

Description of Work
I have used Johns Plumbing, Inc. They had to fix the toilet because it wasn’t flushing and the handle was broken. They put in a new flap on.

08/23/2011

jack L.

They have done both major and minor work for me. They can do it all. They do excellent work and they are very responsive. I can’t say enough about them. I have had no problems with them with anything that they have done for me. I would highly recommend them and have already recommended them to all my friends.

Description of Work
They have done some sink repairs and I also use them for my business as well too. They have done all kinds of work for me.

07/22/2011

Wayne S.

2nd plumber called. Identified and solved problem in 10 mintes. Made sure system worked properly and cleaned up after themselves.

Description of Work
Stopped up drain.

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

04/22/2010

mary W.

I called Johns for a leak in my toilet that had seeped through the floor onto the ceiling below. They told me that I would need to have a hole cut through the ceiling to repair the problem. I told them I would think on it. Someone else repaired the problem quite simply for 75.00. No holes cut through ceilings and floors. Ten minutes of work and no big deal. I would stay away from Johns at any cost.

Description of Work
They came out to diagnose a leaking toilet.

05/18/2009

Daniel D.

The plumber ran a short snake down the commode several times, and claimed the problem was fixed. It wasn't, as the commode acted the same way as before they came out. They came a second time, and again ran the snake down the commode. When that failed to unclog it, the plumber told me that my commode was worn out, and that he would replace it for approximately $400. Other than the gaskets and tank fill mechanism, there is nothing to wear out. A commode is just a piece of ceramic. I bought a plunger that uses CO2 cartridges, gave it three blasts of compressed gas, and it has worked perfectly since. The plumber was obviously trying to sell me a new commode that I did not need. Cross John's Plumbing off my list forever.

Description of Work
They were called to unclog the commode in the master bathroom. They were unable to do so.

05/04/2007

Gabriela O.

We paid them $450 to fix 4 leaking faucets! The only thing they did is change the washer, inside the handles. It took them about 1 min. per faucet. When recaulking the bathtub, they didn't remove the old caulk, although we specifically requested that and they confirmed, more than once, that they'll do. As a result, the new caulking is raised, thick, wrinkly, of a remarkably different color than the tub itself, and looks terrible. There are some loose ends, and if you pull on one of them, the whole thing comes off. They didn't recaulk the entire tub all around, as agreed upon. They left a quarter of an inch gap they didn't fill, through which water leaks. We have been trying for several days, to get them back to finish their job correctly, so far unsuccessfully. Their logo is "We repair what your husband fixed." Right now, my husband is fixing, what they repaired. Minus $600 bucks.

Description of Work
Repaired 4 leaking faucets (changed the washers in the handles), at $124 each. Recaulked a bathtub, at $180.

03/05/2007

JAMI B.

We heard water spraying under our house. When John's Plumbing came out they charged us $250. No problem. (By the way, it was one knowledgeable man doing nothing and one unknowledgable boy doing all the work.) Before they left, the young boy told my husband that we had a small leak under the front of the house. (How can I have a leak under the front of my house if the front of my house is a bedroom and living room with no water going to them?) Needless to say, two days later, at 4:30pm on a Friday, I called them to come back because we heard water ''GUSHING'' from the same spot. They didn't give us priority or treat us as an emergency. They got to us when they could on the following Monday. Those charges were $386. And where was our senior discount? If my husband wasn't old and disabled, he would've fixed it himself. Now we hear another spray of water. (Are they making more work- which results in more money- for themselves???) I'll be calling someone else out next time.

Description of Work
Pipes repaired/replaced under our house.

08/07/2006

Johns used a rotor rooter and finished the work in about two and a half hours. Two guys came, and one wasn't very knowledgeable. They broke an electrical outlet in our garage and an outside spigot. They didn't repair either one.

Description of Work
Johns came to unclog the main drain in our house.

Category drain cleaning

07/11/2006

Michelle B M.

Johns has been my plumbing company for years. They have done just about every type of plumbing task that exists. I know them by name and they treat me as an old friend. This helps a great deal in the event of an emergency which has happened more than once. This job was not an emergency but John's plumbers came over just as promptly as if it was. The job took two hours and I have not heard the pipes rattling since this were done.

Description of Work
Johns Plumbing replaced the pipes under the sink and in one of the bathrooms. They were rattling and beginning to corrode.

07/11/2006

Matt M.

We have used them for years because they are honest and ethical. We even trust them enough to give them our key if we cannot be there. They always come when they say they will come which is very important to us. We used them most recently to do some minor upgrades to the pipes when a tenant moves out.

Description of Work
We use the company to maintain the plumbing in our many rental properties. We have had clogs, leaky toilets and you name it. We had leaks in a kitchen sink done last.

Wilbur's Air Conditioning Heating & Plumbing

Wilbur’s Air Conditioning, Heating & Plumbing has been serving homeowners and businesses in the Birmingham area since 1979. We are Family owned and operated and have earned a reputation for quality service. We stand by our work, and are proud of our long-standing commitment to 100% customer satisfaction. We strive to provide you with 5 star service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Keith The Plumber LLC

Keith The Plumber, LLC "Gettin' Busy 24/7 " www.keith-the-plumber.com Let the professionals at Keith The Plumber take care of all your plumbing needs 20+ yrs experience. Professional plumbing services at reasonable rates. No job too big. No job too small. We do them all 24/7. 5 year warranty on plumbing fixtures that we supply. Master Plumber Licensed, Bonded, and Insured. Member of The BBB, HomeAdvisor & Angie's List. WARRANTIES AVAILABLE. Have all your plumbing needs done RIGHT the first time!! Call Keith The Plumber TODAY!! 24 hr EMERGENCY SERVICES AVAILABLE!!! Cash Checks & now accepting all major credit cards

Advanced Home Inspection Services LLC

General Home Inspections. Don’t get stuck with a lemon for a house. If there are issues, I will notice it .

PLUMBING, DRAIN CLEANING, HIGH PRESSURE DRAIN CLEANING, VIDEO SEWER INSPECTIONS, GAS LINE REPAIRS, GAS INSTALLATIONS, SEWER LINE LOCATING, LEAK DETECTION

SEPTIC TANK PUMPING