Hemphill Services Inc

With Angi since September 2011

3.9

2242 Alton Rd

Birmingham, AL 35210

Additional contact name - Adam Trammell. Additional email - info@hemphillservices.com.

11/06/2019

Robert Barry H.

They are excellent and I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
They have serviced my HVAC system for years. They installed the system as well.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

07/07/2015

Stephanie W.

Description of Work
came out quickly and at the time stated. We've had several issues with our hvac lately and Hemphill are the only ones that have worked on it. In one year, we've been told that the capacitor needed to be replaced twice. When we told the man on the latest visit that it had been replaced last August, suddenly he began back tracking and saying we had a leak that was more than likely not able to be repaired and our freon was low. He added two pounds and then told us the total was over $300. We found this outrageous as most people don't charge that much for a call out and freon recharge. Then, obviously he gave a quote for a new system and said that if we wanted to find the leak, it would be an hourly charge from that moment on.

01/21/2015

Ernesto O.

06/18/2014

Jenna E.

Description of Work
They checked out the sewer lines of a house we were planning to buy. My only qualm is that they didn't call us like they promised to do to let us know the results, and the service ended up being a day later than was scheduled. We were out of town at the time so I couldn't be there to meet them.

06/02/2014

Greg L.

It went fine and I was satisfied with the service.

Description of Work
Hemphill Services did some plumbing work for me a year ago.

07/15/2013

Jennifer G.

We called Hemphill Services to come and install a new a/c unit in our house. We had known we needed a new one for awhile and were thankful that, even though we waited pretty late into the HOT Alabama season to call, they had time to come out and give us an estimate. They came out the next day, and had us scheduled within 3 days. The men who came out were prompt and efficient workers. Nowhere in the process did I feel like I was being 'sold' something I didn't want. He asked us questions about what WE wanted in a system, and went from there. I am usually very uneasy when calling service companies because I HATE being sold something I don't want or need, so I was thrilled when he just wanted to give us what we needed without trying to upsell us. The unit is working wonderfully and we couldn't be happier. They also had a special running where we got a WIFI enabled thermostat installed for the same cost as a regular one. This is great, as now I can control the temperature or set it to come on, while at work! Very satisfied.

Description of Work
Installed new a/c unit and WIFI thermostat.

11/12/2012

WILLIAM E.

Gave verbal initial diagnosis but did not call back with quote as I was told they would. I called back and left msg to remind but never received estimate to repair. Called someone else that came out and quoted same day.

Description of Work
Had cracked exterior sewer pipe, came and inspected with camera as requested.

11/12/2012

Timothy E.

I knew the upsairs system needed to be replaced and had Hemphill come out and validate that it needed replacement. The technician they sent had previously done work on my main level unit and done a good job after the initial technician did not correct the problem. He checked the unit and validated that it needed to be replaced. He said he would also bring some ductwork to replace some of the existing ductwork that had mold. When they showed up to install the new unit it was not the technician that did the inspection, but was the one that had failed to properly repair the main level unit. I decided to go ahead and give him a second chance since it was a new installation and should not involve any trouble-shooting. I expected them to have a standard process for installing this unit. They successfully removed the existing unit and installed the new unit. They then asked to borrow my shop-vac to clean up where they had tracked insulation in from the attic. I told them I would vacuum and not to worry about it. I did not realize that there were also a number of old pipes and other items that they removed and left laying in the attic. After a couple of weeks, I went to check the filter size to purchase a new filter. To my surprise they had failed to install a filter. Upon further inspection I discovered why. When they installed the piping they ran it directly in front of the filter access and it was impossible to get a filter in the unit. I called and they said they would check and call me back. I never received a call-back, but about 2 or 3 hours later they showed up and reran the piping. They also did not replace any of the ductwork as discussed (other than what they had to to fit the new unit). This was my second experience with Hemphill. The first time it took them 3 visits to correct the problem. This time I again had to have a repeat call and am afraid of what else they may have failed to do. This is somewhat scary since they also did some electrical work in my breaker box for the new unit. I will be replacing my main level unit in the next year or so and will definitely not use Hemphill again.

Description of Work
Replaced existing AquaTherm HVAC with an electric heat pump

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

11/05/2012

Patrick S.

I have had Hemphill perform both Heating and A/C along with Plumbing. They have come out and performed maintenance to my units as well as install an attic fan. They also installed a whole house water filter system and did some work on my water lines inside the house. Each time they have been professional, on time and the work was done to my satisfaction.

Description of Work
Haating & A/C and Plumbing

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

06/15/2012

Pamela H.

My home's old cast iron and terra cotta pipes out to the sewer aren't what they used to be and thus get stopped up from time to time. When my usual plumbing company couldn't handle the job, they recommended Hemphill Services, which has a camera and jetter that it perfect for jobs like mine. Although it sometimes takes more than one call to get ahold of them, and although you may have to wait a few days before the proper equipment is available, once on site the guys at Hemphill are always friendly, efficient, and professional. I've relied on them several times in recent years.

Description of Work
Diagnosed clogged mainline to sewer and cleared the pipes by jetting.

09/03/2011

Meg M.

I was extremely impressed by Hemphill when I first contacted them. They were extremely helpful and sent someone out immediately to assess our situation. After that assessment, it went downhill. I would have to call daily to see when I would get an estimate. I was put off due to the high level of work they had. I remained understanding due to the great things I heard about the company. Finally, after 2 weeks of being put on hold, they told me they did not have the time to do it. Due to this, I gave up. I told my husband to find a plumber to handle this job. He got a list of companies and started calling. He ended up calling Hemphill, not knowing this was the very same company that said they could not help me. They told him they would be out the next day (which turned into a few days later). Once they got to the house, they did an excellent job. They were able to help us appropriately. We asked if they could give us an estimate to do one other plumbing job. They said they would call us in the next few days. We never heard from them again. I was hopeful that it would go smoothly after they completed the job, but with the lack of communication (again) it was really disappointing.

Description of Work
Sewer line cleared