AUX Home Services

Founded 1987 • With Angi since July 2006

4.1

5925 Johns Rd

Bessemer, AL 35023

We are Birmingham's premiere Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, and Electrical service provider. We have been servicing Birmingham since 1987. Additional DBA - Aux Mechanical Inc....

02/19/2021

Brett M.

It went well. The technician did a great job identifying and explaining the issue. He also didn't put pressure on me to make the repair immediately or, necessarily, to use Aux. He was helpful, considerate, and will keep me coming back to Aux for service and, potentially, install of a new unit, when necessary.

Description of Work
The furnace unit needed to be serviced. Mostly, it needed to be cleaned and a manufacturer defect with the engine needed to be addressed.

04/13/2018

Doug H.

They came out to give me a price on extending a gas line 25'. Materials can be bought for less than $100 and time to do would be about 90 min. The fellow that came out was nice, but right away started talking about home service plans. I did not call about home service plans. He wanted to see bathrooms, hotwater heaters and HVAC, I stopped him and said that I am not interested in a service plan, just the price of extending a gas line 25' and not even hooking the new cooktop up. I told him I would do that. I get a price of almost $1500. I was shocked and tell him thats over $500 an hr in labor and he tells me thats about the going plumber rate.... I dont think so. I forgot to add that He then looked in his Ipad about how much the service fee would be and I told him it would be $0 because you contacted me through Angies List, not the other way around and he deleted the service charge.

Description of Work
run gas line

Category plumbing

03/11/2017

Ron K.

This was a personal experience with us. I hope they go out of business. They are horrible. Before I married my husband he bought a brand new house and bought it from the builder and they always tell you to have things serviced like heating once a year. My husband had never had a heat pump before so it was new to him. When it came time to turn on the heat, a heat pump it's like fan and it blows cool air eventually it will warm up, but it actually feels like you have air conditioning on rather than heat on so he thought something was wrong. He called just somebody; they were close by. They came out and sabotaged the system. We didn't know this for years. I had never had a heat pump either. When I married him we went out and bought tower heaters. Luckily we had a wood burning fireplace. It was horrible. We went for years like that thinking it was a big expense we would have to deal with at some point and get a new system. They sabotaged it and we never had heat. We had another company come out and serviced us; they found this out. He asked if anyone had serviced it before him and my husband said yes Aux Heating and Cooling. The other company said they are horrible and asked if we knew what they did. We said no and he said they sabotaged us and made it to where we didn't have heat. And all those years we suffered. That was a scam too. They were thinking we were idiots and we didn't know and they could just do this and be able to sell us a new system. And it was already brand new, it was a year old. They're well known for running scams among the reputable companies in that business. They are scam artists.

04/22/2015

Jon K.

he put the toilet in backwards and the faucet leak through the drain and I have to say terrible terrible service about ithad to hire another plumber finish it

Description of Work
put the toilet in backwards and the faucet leet through the drain and the faucet busted a drain line in the wall and left it would never return

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

This individual is mistaken about any service he received from our company. Our Company has never serviced the person issuing this complaint nor have we serviced the address indicated in this review. After reading the review, which makes absolutely no sense, it appears apparent the person had no true plumbing professional provide the work. I respectfully request this complaint be removed

02/18/2015

Abby R.

We have used them for 10 to 12 years. They are extremely professional, and they have very good communication if you have a problem. Their pricing is fair, and they are just very professional. That is probably the big thing. Communication is very important to us, and we work odd hours, so if you make an appointment, it is very important to make the appointment. For us, it almost means getting off work, coming from the office to meet someone, so if someone is late or not here, it means the end of the world. They also tell you the name of the technician that is coming, and in some cases they email you the picture of the technician who is coming, so that helps. They are excellent, and probably one of the best service providers that we have.

Description of Work
We use Aux Mechanical Inc for heating and air conditioning. We are on an annual maintenance contract. They provide the furnace inspection, and system maintenance of our heating system.

01/16/2015

Stan E.

The appointment problems were an inconvenience for my wife. She will not use AUX again.

Description of Work
AUX confirmed our appt between 8 am and 10 am. They did not show up but did call to let us know they were running behind. We rescheduled the appointment for the following day. The following day AUX did not show up for the appointment and did not call to cancel or reschedule.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

There is no explanation for the lack of service you and your family experienced from our team. We deeply regret your experience and offer our sincere apology. Should you decide to allow us an opportunity, contact the owner directly and we guarantee your family a positive experience. Once Again our Sincere apology for your experience

02/02/2014

Jennie O.

Aux uses in their advertising that they're and quot;always on time.and quot; I had one experience - the first - that the service man came when he was supposed to. There was a lot of work that needed to be done at a house we had just purchased. In addition to the above, there were 4 service calls where they were not only not on time, but also didn't even arrive on the same day. When I called THEM (they didn't even bother to call me to say that the technician wouldn't make it that day), I was told, after hours of phone calls and and quot;yes, he'll be there,and quot; that the serviceman wouldn't actually be able to come that day, and they'd put it on their schedule for first thing in the morning - which turned out to be the first thing after they finished the job from the day before, which meant it would be afternoon, or possibly not at all that day, either. I signed a service contract with them, but will not do any more business with them. I VERY STRONGLY devise against using them.

Description of Work
The electrical service, done by Willie, was excellent. The plumber padded his time, bought incorrect materials, installed a cracked faucet, and then left, charging me for hours of work that weren't performed. The HVAC guy connected the thermostat, but didn't mention to us that the air handler and heat pump didn't even work. So we got charged for his work, and then had to hire another company to undo it, and redo it.

11/27/2013

Tim W.

After several reschedules the employees arrived at 5:30 PM. Evaluated problems and quoted price. I thought the price was way too high for the work done. It was actually about 10 minutes total work. The guys were very professional. I would look to another provider the next time just because the price was so high.

Description of Work
Repaired light circuit and replaced circuit breaker

Category electrician

10/14/2013

Danielle S.

Before anyone would come to my home I had to sign a credit card authorization form. So when the tech arrived at my home, he told me my unit needed a new compressor and relay and it would cost me $2,250 and guaranteed the work for 60 days!!! The second option was I could by a new unit for $8,200 because soon my unit would be obsolete. I then called Carden Heating and Cooling for a second quote. They fixed my unit no fuss for $475 and said that there was nothing wrong with my compressor! Wow, good thing I called for a second quote. What a rip off that would have been!

Description of Work
Diagnostic test

07/02/2013

William M.

I noticed our A/C wasn't working around 3:00PM on Friday. I called AUX and they sent out a technician that was here by 4:00PM. The indoor unit drain was clogged. Because of the clog, the pan filled with water and tripped the safety switch, therefore, not allowing the A/C to come on. He got his shop vac and had to make several trips upstairs to remove all the water from the pan. He then cleared the drain line which was totally stopped up. Needless to say, I was thrilled they came out on the same day I called. They have always been quick to respond. To date, we have used them on four occasions and have no complaints whatsoever.

Description of Work
Our air conditioner stopped working and they came out made the repairs.

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

07/02/2013

William M.

We started out with a slow drip in the tub of a bathroom. It quickly went from a slow drip to non stop gushing. We called a plumber, he came out and told us our pressure regulator had gone bad. We were shocked over the amount it was going to cost for repair. He referred us to AUX. We called and they came out the next day. Installed a new pressure regulator and install new shower valve. The gentleman that came was very professional and courteous.

Description of Work
Repaired pressure regulator, rebuilt shower valve damage caused from high pressure due to failed pressure regulator. Purchased service agreement.

05/14/2013

William M.

They did a good job in a very timely fashion. They were great in trying to come up with another solution to tearing the wall down and they did. They were very nice as well as professional. I have no negative comments at all about the job. Considering all they had to do, we had no complaints about the amount charged.

Description of Work
This is the third time we have used AUX Mechanical. The first two times were for plumbing issues. This time we had called them out to service our air and heating unit upstairs. We had added a room upstairs a few years ago and as it turned out, there was not enough room left between a wall and unit to even be able to get to anything to service it. My husband and I thought the only thing we would be able to do was tear the wall out. However, AUX came up with a better plan. They built a new platform and turned our unit completely around facing the opposite direction.

04/01/2013

Janice E.

If you have a contract with them, you will get priority. Dispatch is excellent and keeps you up to date on the status of your visit. Their associates are very knowledgeable. We have used them for years to repair, replace HVAC, Drainage, Toilet problems and Refrigeration.

Description of Work
We have used Aux Mechanical for many years. We have a contract with them, so if something goes wrong--they will come in the middle of the night if you need them. They wear footies on their shoes to not dirty your floors. They have PC's and printers in their trucks to provide instant quotes and availability. Very courteous. They do not smoke. They don't take breaks. We have had technicians here even late at night to finish a difficult project. We have had technicians on our roof and that's four floors up. They are very flexible. We've had technicians in our attic in the hot heat of summer. They are good guys! The only problem is that they sometimes on A/C they have had to return several times and our neighbors noticed it. I brought that to the attention of the office and it has not happened again. Sometimes they have to travel a ways if they don't have the part on the truck, so they have to return the next day.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, air duct cleaning

03/22/2013

Debra H.

The second man who came out fixed the problem quickly. It was a hassel that the first man that came out couldnt figure out what the problem was and that we had to wait. Both gentleman were very professional. I do not know whether the charge was a normal charge or not. This is the first time we've had this kind of work done.

Description of Work
Half the electric sockets were not working in the living room. One gentleman came out and could not determine what the problem was. He needed to have someone with more experience come out to find the problem. I was charged about $50 for him to come out and then another fee $175 for the other person to come out. The seond man did not charge anything additional. He found the outlet that was causing the problem and fixed the problem quickly.

09/12/2012

Richard G.

The service went very well. One of their repairs on our air conditioning unit was leaking onto the garage floor/drywall, which made a big mess. I called them and sent a few pictures, and without any kind of hesitation, they sent a supervisor out to look at it. He told me they'd fix it and make everything right. Within a couple of days, they sent some guys out to repair the drywall, and made everything just as it was before. I now have an ongoing maintenance contract with them, and I couldn't imagine working with a more reliable company. They always call to let me know before they arrive. I'd highly recommend them!

Description of Work
They've done air conditioning work and plumbing.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, drain cleaning

09/12/2012

William G T.

The service has been very good overall. The techs that come out have all been knowledgeable, especially one in particular. They always get out as soon as they can. They've done a great job!

Description of Work
They've done a number of things over the past several years with heating and air conditioning.

09/05/2012

Jimmy P.

They came out the same day I called. It was the coldest day of the year and the cost was more than I thought it would be. They were able to get my home heated the next morning. The work was very quick and prompt. They worked on my wiring box in the past and I had a TV plugged in upstairs and it would never come back on. I did tell them about this and they did not do anything about it. I gave them another chance with the heater and they did do a good job with that. I asked them to hang a ceiling fan and they said it would be almost $600.00 and that was too much. In the past they provided drain cleaning and he said he just could not get it out. I urged them to keep trying and he was able to get the toilet unplugged as there was a bottle in it.

Description of Work
This was for installing a new furnace. They did come out after the installation a year later and do a free check on it as well.

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac, ceiling fans, drain cleaning

09/05/2012

David H.

We have been happy with their service. We have used them for about 15 years and they have done a great job. They are very courteous, and wear shoe covers, they will clean up after themselves. They pride themselves on excellent service. They are always very good about calling us before they come for the appointment.

Description of Work
We have a contract with them for yearly maintenance. They came out for a problem with our upstairs air conditioning unit that was covered under the yearly maintenance agreement. They come out two times a year to do routine maintenance.

07/23/2012

barry L.

From start to finish, I could not have been more pleased with the guys from Aux or the products that they installed. They arrived on time and took great care to ensure that they did not leave a mess behind them when they finished up. I could have found someone that was cheaper, but I dont think I would have gotten the same level of service from the other two companies I had come out. Im am 100% satisfied with my contractor and my new A/C system and would recommend Aux Mechanical to anyone.

Description of Work
After losing one of my two air conditioning systems over the weekend, I was in a hurry to get things back up and running before the next heat wave came to town. I called three local Heating and Air companies to come out and give me an estimate to replace the system. The technician from Aux was courteous and professional and took time to explain things and actually ask me what I wanted rather than push what they wanted to sell. I decided to go with a high effiency Nutone system after looking at all of my options. The unit is quit and is running great and I love my new thermostat that I can control from my Android.

05/14/2012

David H.

If you have a contract with them, you can call them, and they will come the same day. They are very professional.

Description of Work
I have a yearly contract with them to service my air unit.

03/12/2012

Pamela M.

I do not like them. They tried to get me to do something that had nothing to do with the problem. They did not fix the problem.

Description of Work
They came to do plumbing work at my home.

Category plumbing

08/23/2011

Dr Howard W H.

I have used them for years. I have an annual contract for spring and fall for updates/inspections of my HVAC units. I have also used them for plumbing. I have no complaints with them at all. Their pricing has always been reasonable and they do great follow up work with you as well. They do excellent work and I recommend them to anyone looking for plumbing or HVAC work.

Description of Work
They are my regular plumbing and HVAC company.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

05/29/2010

Imogene H.

Diagnosed problem as bad igniter - wanted to charge >$500 to repair. Son replaced the part for $35. Gross attempt to overcharge.

Description of Work
called to service gas heater. Diagnosed problem as bad igniter - wanted to charge >$500 to repair. Son replaced the part for $35. Gross overcharge.

04/25/2010

cynthia B.

The first time I used Aux was back on a cold Friday night in Feb when I came home to a very cold house. They were great! my call was answered promptly and the dispatcher kept me updated on the ETA of the tech (he was coming down 280 on a cold rainy, Friday night from downtown). I called them about 615 and I had heat by 10pm and that included the tech having to go back to the main office to pick up the part he needed. I was so pleased with their service that I purchased a yearly service contract. When it was time for my spring AC service they called me to set up the appointment and called again the day before the appointment to confirm my appointment. The tech arrived on time and completed the job without any problems.

Description of Work
1st encounter- after hours furnance repair 2nd encounter- routine maintenence of central air

03/27/2010

PATRICK C.

I have mixed feelings about Aux. I was referred to them by a commercial company I deal with. I have to admit their guys are competent. They did initial service and I actually bought a UV lighting system from them. I ended up pre-paying a service contract for the next year. Their communication is not good, from my experience. Their pricing is a bit below average, from my experience. So while I think they do good work, their timeliness, communication and pricing offsets that. Maybe I just had a bit of bad luck with them. I would not be afraid to try them. But I have moved on to another company for now.

Description of Work
HVAC service and then a service contract.

Coleson Plumbing & Gas

WE KNOW PLUMBING AND GAS !! Why choose Coleson Plumbing and Gas as your plumber: Coleson Plumbing and Gas Company is a licensed and insured plumbing and gas company. We have over 80 years combined service experience in plumbing and gas. We are a full line plumbing and gas service company providing repair, installation and maintenance services to homeowners and business owners throughout the Birmingham area. We service all brands of equipment. We are locally owned and operated. We charge by the job not the hour. We are licensed and insured. All of our Plumbers and gas fitters are state certified. We offer upfront pricing. All work is Guaranteed!

Dr. Electric

Locally owned family business with a professional standard of service. All employees are background checked and trained to be the very best electricians and safety advisors to best serve our clients. Serving both commercial and residential clients in Jefferson, Shelby, and Walker counties. Dr. Electric accepts Cash, Check, all major Credit Cards and offers Financing. Angie's List Customers receive $25 dollars off any work performed under $1000.00 and $75 dollars off any work over $1000.00. We are members of the Alabama Home Builders Association. .*Residential & Commercial Electrical Services. Outlets, Lights, Indoor & Outdoor Electrical Wiring, Fuse Box & Breaker Panel Repairs. Electrical Service Upgrades. Whole House Rewires. Custom Lighting Design & House Generators. Swimming Pool Pump & Lighting Repair. Solar Power Systems.

NightLight Electric LLC

Here at NightLight Electric LLC, we strive to meet and exceed our customers expectations. We are a fairly new company, but have been in the field with 20 years of experience in residential and light commercial. We provide a variety of services from a small repair to an entire home rewire. No job is too big or too small. We are a fully licensed and insured company in the state of Alabama. Our office is located in Pinson, Al. You can rest your mind and know that if you're in the dark, we'll turn the light on for you.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Financing Available

Residential & commercial air conditioning, remodeling kitchen and bath, drain cleaning, irrigation, dishwasher repair, heating, air conditioning, indoor air quality, generators, electrical repairs, landscape lighting & appliance.Drain cleaning,Sewer replacments, water service,