Athens Handyman Service LLC

Founded 2007 • With Angi since September 2011

16868 Lucas Ferry Rd

Athens, AL 35611

Athens Handyman Service is here to help you with any and all of your tasks that need to be completed and checked-off your to-do-list. From home remodeling to something as simple as needing a second pair of hands, it is our pleasure assisting you to getting it done, and getting it done right. We

05/12/2017

Bradley T.

On time, at price quoted. Nice guys did the work. Will use them again.

Description of Work
Replace 2 windows.

03/26/2017

Aaron S.

Great, weather delayed it a few weeks from original timeline but once he was able to get in and complete the work it was great.

Description of Work
Pour a concrete patio extension

Category concrete repair, handyman service

10/23/2016

SUE B.

It took 1 month for Mike to get back with me, it was always, I'll call you next week. I guess my job was too small. This was to be a trial for my more major needs. Closing in my work shop, wood floors put in my home and concrete work, I also need a screened porch built. I'm a single woman, disabled, living with my 83 year old Mother. Mike was nice when I spoke with him but was too unreliable for me. I know your busy but if you are that busy you need to remove "no job to small" from your advertising.

Description of Work
I had bought new 5 decorative light fixtures for the outside of home that I needed put up. I was expecting out of town company and gave him plenty of time.

Category lighting

09/12/2016

Elise H.

We got an estimate, but were never able to tie down a time to get the work done. After numerous calls and several months, I gave up and canceled the work request. This company had done work for us before, and we were very please; but we were extremely frustrated with the way they kept putting us off. The date shown below is an approximation. I don't remember when we last talked with them.

Description of Work
Miscellaneous small jobs around the house.

Category handyman service, interior painters

09/12/2016

Laurie D.

It went great! The front steps are beautiful and the work was done in a very timely and professional manner.

Description of Work
The front steps had sunk and fallen apart and kicked up the concrete slab they were sitting on, causing a trip hazard. They needed replaced.

06/21/2016

Philip S.

Description of Work
During the recent sale of my house, the buyer's home inspection listed a few items that needed to be repaired such as rotten wood, a plumbing leak, a few electrical deficiencies and a couple of broken window panes. The time between the inspection and the closing was very short, so I needed the work done correctly and quickly. I had used Athens Handyman in the past and had really good results with them, so I called Mike Littrell, the owner, and got him to take a look at what needed to be done. He gave me a reasonable cost estimate and said he could meet my timetable. During the course of the repair work, the final walk through date was moved up, making the time to complete all work even shorter. Mike worked with me and got everything done on time and did a great job. He always called or texted and gave me advance notice on when he or his guys were showing up of if they were going to be late or whatever. I highly recommend them!

02/16/2016

Anna S.

Excellent job.

Description of Work
Replaced floor where commode had leaked

10/01/2015

Duane P.

Category remodeling

01/07/2015

Robert B.

They started off on a bad foot because the day they started all they did was put paper and plastic on the floor and carpet and doors. Then they returned 2 days later to start the work. Several other times they did not show up for work, but did not let us know in advance or why there was a problem. The night (Sunday) before they were to start grouting we got a call as to what color they were to use. All this had been supplied to them in writing. Obviously the grout had not even been purchased. The next morning my husband was had to go get the grout. Grout does not look good - not do to the selection. I think it was not mixed well so it is darker in some places and lighter in others. There are a couple of placed on the floor which more grout or something. Also, some of the grout lines are wider than others. I think the owner of this business is a nice guy, but this job was out of their skill level. We should have talked to people that all they did is ceramic tile. Because of this job, I would not hire them again or recommend them. They should not have accepted this job.

Description of Work
We replaced 80's style tub/shower insert with ceramic tile shower and replaced vinyl floor with ceramic tile.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, handyman service, plumbing

10/21/2014

Nelson R.

I have a rental unit in Athens, AL and the ceiling fan in the front bedroom, along with the junction box, was slipping through the ceiling as it had not been connected to a joist. I called Mike, the owner, and told him what was going on and instead of waiting a week or two he offered to pull off a crew and get the fan fixed the next morning. The crew was in and out in an hour, di a wonderful job, cleaned up after themselves and were very polite and knowledgeable. Athens Handyman Services are my new and quot;go toand quot; repairmen.

Description of Work
Anchored a ceiling fan to the joist.

Category contractors, electrician, handyman service, ceiling fans

05/12/2014

Cheryl H.

Mike came exactly when he said he would and did a prompt estimate. All of the work was done on time and done well, and the work areas were left neat and clean. Mike communicated very well throughout the project.

Description of Work
They replaced some doors and repaired a door frame.

Category handyman service, doors

03/11/2014

Phoenix R.

He was prompt, providing estimates and measurements at our first meeting. He provided samples that night. I expected to see hard wood-like samples, but these were of vinyl. I presumed it was the pattern on the samples, many wood-like, which is what I was to select from, so I did so. When I realized the next day that I may not have been looking at laminate samples, I called the same store he used to get the vinyl samples to show me to determine if they were one and the same thing. (I had tried and failed to reach Athens Handyman Services (AHS) first. When AHS returned my call, he was quite irate with me, stating I had asked the flooring store for an estimate, also. I did ask for the price difference between square foot for laminate vice vinyl flooring since that could be significant. While I did not ask the store personnel to come do an estimate, I was shocked at his anger over the idea that I would seek a second estimate. Flooring is an expensive purchase and multiple estimates would be wise, I should think. He stated he and quot;couldn't afford to lose $4,000and quot; on this deal and would just as soon call it off. Gosh, I can't afford to lose $4,000 on the wrong flooring, also! He seemed mollified when I explained I knew nothing about flooring or flooring samples, just that I wanted laminate flooring (which he tried to talk me out of and into another kind, saying it would not last through spills and my cat. I daresay vinyl would stand a lesser chance of lasting through the cat and spills.) We ended by cancelling the order and I felt very taken advantage of and talked down to. My husband shared these sentiments. A businessman should pay attention to what the customer wants, and should be polite rather than rude. Even if that deal was doomed to failure, there could and would have been future deals.

Description of Work
At my request for a quote for laminate flooring, the contractor measured the square feet of the rooms in question and then gave me an estimate for vinyl flooring, including taking up the old carpet and tackboards and installing new quarter round in all areas. He had an employee from a local flooring company deliver samples of what I have since learned is VINYL,, NOT LAMINATE flooring. I explained to him That I do not know the differences in flooring but that I wanted laminate flooring.

12/03/2013

Melody B.

He came out, gave an estimate, and never got back to me with the quote. He was okay. I called him that morning and within a couple of hours, he was here. He did what needed to be done.

Description of Work
I got an estimate from Athens Handyman Service to regrout the shower and to put on a door.

Category ceramic tile, handyman service

08/06/2013

Gina N.

Mike's team did a great job, they provided a great service. Very prompt and polite. Small items needed extra attention and they were great to take care of all issues. We ran into issues with carpet installer, Mike was quick to handle this issue and solve the problem. I would use Athen's Handyman Service for future remodeling and repairs. It's nice to know you have someone who will take care of all the items on your To-Do-List, Big or Small!

Description of Work
Repair and Paint. Replace carpet.

Category flooring contractor, handyman service, house painters, interior painters

06/24/2013

Fred K.

We have used this service several times for various repairs, from fence repair to electrical work and have been satisfied with their quality of work and prompt reply.

Description of Work
Repaired/added to a fence-excellent work!

Category custom cabinets, fencing, handyman service

06/05/2013

Galen T.

Mr. Littrell responded to my initial call promptly. Came out to access the job and give me an estimate for the work to be performed. We agreed on price and installation date. Work was performed on date and price agreed to.

Description of Work
Installed A/C unit through the wall.

05/30/2013

Barbara N.

We had an excellent experience with them. They were responsive, did a good work and their price was reasonable. We would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
We used Athens Handyman Service LLC for chandelier and ceiling fan installation.

Category electrician, handyman service, lighting, ceiling fans

05/17/2013

Patty W.

We have used Mike many times for other projects, and we really liked him. After he painted the bedroom and trim we realized that the trim paint wasn't drying. We called him several times during the past 4 days to tell him the paint was still not dry. He came out to look at it, and agreed that we needed to do something about it. He said he would call us back to get it scheduled. We never heard from him. My husband called him several times. He finally got ahold of him and told Mike that we probably now needed him to sand down the trim and have him redo the work. Mike responded with profanity and let us know he was very angry. It was uncharacteristic from the pleasant way that he has responded to us in the past. We will not be using him again. We will now be hiring someone else to redo the work that Mike did.

Description of Work
He painted the walls and trim of our bedroom.

Category handyman service, interior painters

Although the customers were concerned of “tacky” paint, they were previously informed that due to being oil-based paint and also the effect of humidity due to the bedroom being on the second floor, the paint would take several days (possibly 4 or more) to cure and completely dry. We were in contact with the customer over the several days and in regards to the homeowner stating we didn’t respond, we did in fact go back a second time to re-paint the door on top of the still slightly wet paint, which resulted in a longer curing time. The following day, the customers were still persistent on the paint being wet, which then they demanded we come back and chemically strip the wood panel doors and trim to repaint. In discussion with the owner, this was not advised due to the paint having never had time to fully dry the first time. In addition, to chemically strip the door would have cost more than the entire job which was quoted at $500.00 for painting the walls, trim & ceiling. When painting in any type of 1900yr. home, paint can take multiple days to fully dry due to the layers of paint before it and being oil-based added additional drying time which we had the impression the homeowner understood. In conclusion, the homeowner never paid any money on this project although they were informed of the time for paint to dry. Athens Handyman Service is a member of the Better Business Bureau since 2007 with an "A" rating. Customer satisfaction is our number one priority in which we strive to maintain with every job. Due to the customers unreasonable request to strip all wet paint, we elected to complete with no charge to the customer.

04/10/2013

Robert B.

So far it's been good. I liked their professionalism and his quote was in line with others.

Description of Work
Athens Handyman Service gave me a quote for minor repairs on a building.

Category handyman service, remodeling

10/18/2012

Georgia A.

I saw Mike had good reviews on Angies list and he was close by so I hoped it would work out well. We made an appointment for him to come to my house and look at what I wanted to have done. He arrived on time and he was very nice and seemed interested in doing the work. He was close friends with the Cabinet man who had installed my kitchen cabinets, but our relationship had ended badly and I told Mike some things that happened between us. Before he left he said he would call me the next week with an estimate. I was anxious to talk to him, so I called him the next Monday and he didn't answer the phone. I called him the next day and he rudely said that he had gotten behind and made me feel like he didn't want to talk to me. After that I didn't call him any more and never heard from him again. I don't know if what I said about his friend made him decide not to do the work for me? I wish he would had told me up front, he didn't want to do the work, so we wouldn't have wasted time meeting at my house.

Description of Work
I called Mike to make some repairs to my kitchen cabinets and to make me a DVD cabinet and also to install some crown molding.

Category custom cabinets, remodeling

09/17/2012

Michael W.

I have used this company for several years. I just give them a call and they promptly arrive when they say they will and they provide me a good estimate. They have always come in on cost and if something unexpected is found during the job they have always showed me what they found and we discuss the cost implications prior to doing any more work. The work is always excellent.

Description of Work
I have used this company for a long time. I have had roofing and roof repair done. I had two ceiling repaired where water had damaged them. I have had them do interior painting of wall, ceiling and trim.

Category custom cabinets, handyman service, roofing, siding, house painters, interior painters

09/05/2012

Patty W.

He devoted a lot of time to this job and was very cooperative with meeting my husband there at a certain time. He made an arrangement to call my husband as he was leaving to meet him and that cooperation made it possible for us to meet him there. I can't believe how low the price was, considering we had paid 3 times as much for a much worse job in the past.

Description of Work
He sealed a shower door to remedy leaking. It wasn't caulked properly originally, so he replaced the caulking and sealed it to prevent leaking into the first floor.

Category handyman service, replacement windows, doors

08/22/2012

Susan M.

Mike came out gave me an estimate and the work started the next day. The work consisted of coming out 4 different days and adding more materials. They called every morning and let me know when they would be there and when they left. Very professional.

Description of Work
I had some drywall work done in my garage where my air conditioner leaked.

Category custom cabinets, drywall, handyman service

06/21/2012

lataricia W.

Company owner Mike Littrell came out and gave me an estimate on 5 sinks that needing to have plumbing installed,and a couple of baseboards installed. He gave me an estimate of $225. I had all my material as far as the baseboards were concerned. He stated that he would give me a call next week to get the work done. I waited until today June 21, 2012 and called him back to see when he was going to be able to perform the work. The first time I called I did not get an answer so I left a message, but he never returned the call. So I waited and called him back again and this time I got a hold of of him. I told him who I was and which house he came to and gave the estimate. He claim he did not know which house this was, so I went into more detail of the work that he was going to perform on my house and the conversation that we had. Mike hung up his phone. At first I thought maybe it was a bad connection so I called back a couple of times and he would not answer his phone. Nor did he try to call me back after the call was lost. I do not recommend this company to anyone to use. They are not trust worthy. Nor did they come back to perform the work that he said he was going to do. Waist of time. Stick with a reputable company that is going to do what they say they are going to do. This was very unprofessional on Mike's part to hang up in a customer face and then not return the call back. Believe me if they do one customer like this, they will do another one the same way. STAY AWAY FROM THIS UNWORTHY COMPANY, WAIST OF TIME. ...... YOU WERE WARNED!!!!!!!

Description of Work
estimate on 5 sinks that needing to have plumbing installed and a couple of baseboards STAY AWAY FROM THIS UNWORTHY COMPANY. WAIST OF TIME.....

Category contractors, plumbing, replacement windows

09/15/2011

Terrence S.

I used them about four months ago. I've used them three different times and each time they have been very professional. They have done a fantastic job. They are very reasonable. I'm planning to use them again.

Description of Work
I used Athens Handyman Service LLC for remodeling of some cabinets and some flooring.

Category custom cabinets, flooring contractor, remodeling, home remodeling

Whatley Plumbing LLC

We offer quality service at an affordable price. Contact us today about an estimate.

1-800-Plumber + Air of Huntsville

1-800-Plumber +Air is located in Huntsville, AL and is focused on being the BEST! It's not about being better than everyone else, instead our focus is on providing you with the fast, dependable plumbing and emergency services when you need it most. Our goal is to give you the BEST experience you have ever received from a service based business. The 1-800-Plumber +Air team has the expertise to meet your needs with an easy to remember name and phone number, so call us today for help with all your home or business plumbing, drain cleaning, and heating and cooling needs.

Offers Coupon

SLATEN'S FLOORING & HOME REPAIR

With over 10 years of experience in the flooring industry, we are the experts you need to take care of your home or business. We provide superb hardwood refinishing, sanding, and installation services for home repair, renovation, and improvement projects. We also do installation work for laminate, custom staircases, luxurious vinyl tiles, and pre-finish hardwood, and will meet your individual requirements with the results we achieve. Do not hesitate to contact us! . We will treat your home as we would treat our own. Give Slaten's Flooring & Home Repair a call today, we look forward to working with you!

Windows & screens, handyman, home remodeling, shelves, gutters, roofing, siding, painting, door locks, light fixtures, ceiling fans, shower doors, caulking, weather proofing, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, doors, walls, gardening & landscaping