Chimney Doctor

Founded 1987 • With Angi since January 2012

1401 W 43rd Ave D

Anchorage, AK 99503

28 years of experience and service. We are a locally owned and operated full service chimney sweep. 5-6 employees. No sub-contractors. Payment is at the time of service. Fees based on work performed.

01/13/2022

Linda I.

We made an appointment a month in advance since they were booked and busy. On the day of the appointment, my husband took off work to be there. They did not show up. They did not call. Did not respond to calls and their voicemail is full. I do not recommend, not reliable.

Description of Work
Chimney inspection and cleaning.

06/18/2021

Teresa H.

I have written hundreds of reviews and 95% of them are totally positive, encouraging and uplifting. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this company. Two years ago we had 2 Beautiful Gas fireplace installations done by the Chimney Doctor. It was spendy but we’ve enjoyed the ambience and beauty that these installations have provided to our home and felt it was worth it. Furthermore, I have told many of my friends about this company and they also had good customer service and results, at least up until September 2020. Until that time, I believe the chimney doctor was under different ownership. Beginning in September 2020, my fireplace upstairs stopped working. It was determined that we needed an igniter. I begin calling immediately to have this issue fixed and scheduled. After over 20 phone calls over the course of several months, I finally received a call from the new owner who profusely apologized for his lack of follow through and promised that he would personally be to my home the next day to fix it. That was over a month ago. I have finally found someone else who can do the repairs and the necessary part should be here soon (my new contractor communicated this information via text as soon as he ordered it). I write this review because I truly want people to avoid the aggravation and frustration associated with a business that does not treat their customers in a respectful and considerate manner. If you would like the name of my new contractor, feel free to Google message me. I do not recommend the chimney doctor to anyone any longer.

Description of Work
Fireplace Install-Gas

06/18/2021

Teresa H.

Description of Work
Fireplace Install-Gas

05/13/2019

Terri A.

Had crew come out to check chimney for possible earthquake damage. Company called to ask if they could come early so I left work to meet them. No show-when called office they had my number on another person’s address and did that work but said they would come at scheduled time. Scheduled time-no show. Called office-crew had gone to another house on the street to do work even though my address and number were on form. Eventually came and reported no block damage but did need to replace Cap/crown and to call office for bid. Called office who said crew had to do bid and they would get it to me in a few days. No bid after a week-called office and said it looked like a copy had been given to me but it had t so they emailed it to me. When I received it quote was for building a chimney, not for my work. Called office and she said she had talked to Tom and he would get bid to me. Four days passed-emailed office, said she had talked to Tom and I would hear from Them. Two weeks have passed since calling office on bid and still no bid. I can not attest to quality of work but professionalism, organization and customer service are terrible.

Description of Work
Chimney repair

Category chimney caps

03/15/2019

Laura M.

Not well. First when they ordered the fireplace doors they ordered the wrong size and it took 2 months for them to bring them out to install. They did reorder the correct size as they confirmed the owner who took the measurements submitted the wrong measurements. They reordered the correct size and it took another two months when I called to say I was getting impatient with how long it was taking, the receptionist got very snippy and ****** that I would even say anything. When they finally came out 4 months after my original order and installed all they did was complain about how they had to eat the cost of the original doors. I had to call several times during the LONG wait to get the status of my doors. Customer service is not in this groups purview at all. I would not work with them again.

Description of Work
Fireplace Doors ordered and installed

Category fireplaces

01/03/2018

Barbara P.

They fit us in right away and charged about the same as the building contractor, who had done other work for us, clean the chimney and replace the cap. As a result we had no draft at all. It was the wrong cap. Chimney Doctor sent us a certified professional. The new cap is correct for this stove. We also had them inspect the flue- I wasn't sure the other guy had done anything.

Description of Work
Vermont Stove/ chimney inspection and cleaning

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps

07/08/2017

Mary R.

It was great to have peace of mind and for an affordable price. I will use them again when it needs to be done.

Description of Work
My dryer vent hadn't been cleaned in the three years since I bought my place. I wanted to be on the safe side. He cleaned it. Also, checked my chimney and all was good.

Category chimney sweep, dryer vent cleaning

01/02/2017

Stan O.

cleaned up as he went along, very professional

Description of Work
check / clean chimney. No cleaning was required as evidenced by photos

12/05/2016

Jennifer H.

The gentleman that came to our house was polite, professional, and engaging. I appreciated his patience with any questions that we had.

Description of Work
Our house was in need of a chimney sweep.

05/04/2016

Jennifer F.

Was awesome and did the inspection the same day. I would extremely highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Chimney Inspection

Category chimney repair

12/08/2015

Ingrid S.

Showed up on time, professional service, happy to answer my questions and offered helpful advice. Would definitely call them again.

Description of Work
Inspected and cleaned chimney

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair

02/04/2015

Kyle V.

Everything went smoothly. On time and professional.

Description of Work
Inspection and general maintenance.

11/28/2014

Dwight N.

I would recommend Chimney Doctor to friends and family.

Description of Work
Cleaned vent system to dryer. Thought we needed chimney done but provider inspected and advised service was not needed at that time.

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair, dryer vent cleaning

10/02/2014

Sharyn U W.

Went very well. The installers were quiet, courteous, and efficient.

Description of Work
Cleaned chimney and installed a 1100 Hearthmount inset.

09/26/2014

B B.

Marlon showed up on time with a great attitude! Did a great job of cleaning the chimney, made sure I saw the amount of soot/creosote he had removed and cleaned up afterward (really nothing to clean up, you can tell he's done this a few times). Would easily recommend and use again...

Description of Work
Clean / Inspect chimney

09/02/2014

Carolyn P.

We would not attempt to use this company again. If their gross lack of response is an indication of the work they would do we would not be interested in using them.

Description of Work
We contacted this provider because of good reviews on Angie's List. After leaving 5 messages with no return call we gave up.

08/18/2014

Wendy W.

Chimney Doctor's workman showed up on the appointed day, looked up my chimney with a flashlight, and declared that it was not in need of cleaning. The workman said he could go ahead and clean it for me if I needed a record for insurance or a realtor or whatever reason, but the chimney was fine -- they'd just appreciate my calling them when it finally does need to be cleaned. We had a friendly conversation about wood-burning fireplaces, man-made wax logs, etc., and I learned some useful facts. He left with my promise that I would call Chimney Doctor in a few years for cleaning. How many vendors will save you the money for a service you don't actually need? These guys are obviously trustworthy.

Description of Work
He advised me that my chimney didn't need cleaning yet, and so saved me the $135 I was prepared to pay.

06/11/2014

Chelsea C.

Had a high-efficiency fireplace installed during the winter because out previous unit could not be salvaged. We were impressed with Keith and ended up chosing him over other quotes we had gotten. On the day of installation, two employees from the Chimney Doctor came to do the installation and we never heard from Keith again. We were impressed with their knowledge and their work seemed very good. After they did the install, we replaced the drywall/concrete board, textured it, and put stone facing on the fireplace. However, three months later, after a rain storm, I had water seeming through my newly replaced wall above and below the fireplace. I called Chimney Doctor's emergency line multiple times starting on Saturday morning arpund 8:00 am. I never got a call back. I spent the rest of the weekend cleaning up the water that was leaking through my wall. Monday at 3:00 pm I finally hear back and they said they will come over as soon as they have an opening. Never heard from them again. I paid a roofer to come out and make sure that it was not an issue with my roof, he said my roof was fine and it was something with the fireplace installation. After waiting a week and a half, I ended up having to pay another company to come out and repair the mistakes that were made during my installation. I had recommended them to my neighbors and they are using them for a wood-insert installation. Will not recommend them again.

Description of Work
Install a high efficiency fireplace

Category fireplaces

05/06/2014

Dave W.

They recommended we choose our own gas insert from a couple of different places. Once we'd picked out a gas insert, they scheduled the installation. On the day of the installation, they picked up our gas insert from the showroom. We wanted to avoid having the trim cover the existing rock trim which is a little unusual. This involved changing the trim at the time of installation and the installers cut the trim to a very precise fit so that the insert is tucked into the existing opening. They removed the old installation and cleaned everything up. It was a very professional job.

Description of Work
Replace old gas inset with new gas insert

11/25/2013

Carol B.

My call to the Chimney Doctor was answered in a timely manner and an appointment made for chimney and dryer vent cleaning. I was given the name of the representative that would be performing the services. About fifteen minutes prior to the appointed time, I received a call from Guy that he was in route and would be on time. He was professional in his demeanor and appearance. Any questions I had were answered. The area of the living room where the chimney cleaning equipment would be located was covered. Guy performed his services, left the living room spotless. I was presented a bill that did not charge for the chimney inspection and an Angie's list twenty dollar coupon was accepted bringing the bill to sixty five dollars. I was happy to pay the charges and was prepared to pay for the chimney inspection. What service! Very professional! I will be calling them again and will tout their services to my friends.

Description of Work
Guy, the service representative, inspected the chimney with the mirrored equipment, brushes, etc. determined it was in good condition and did not warrant a cleaning. He then inspected and cleaned the dryer vent.

Category chimney sweep, dryer vent cleaning

11/10/2013

Donna G.

Looked up flue from living room, flue was clean so no need to clean.

10/24/2013

Margaret R.

The technician was very helpful, giving my husband advice on inserts and types of fuel. He inspected the chimney, decided that it was very clean. (We moved in a year ago and were unsure of the usage) They were pleasant to deal with, on the phone, when making the appointment.

Description of Work
The technician inspected the chimney, determined that it didn't need to be cleaned.

09/16/2013

Sue B.

He was on time, friendly, did a great job and answered all my questions. I felt like he knew what he was doing and he even clean up the area and was considerate of our funishings.

Description of Work
Inspected and cleaned chimney.

09/02/2013

Denise G.

Thought I might need a chimney cleaned. It was working fine, but was 10 years old and had never been cleaned. Found provider on Angie's List. Inspection showed that a cleaning would not be required. Safety inspection only. Great!

Description of Work
Inspection of a wood stove's chimney.

Category chimney sweep

Thank you for the opportunity to work for you. We look forward to working with you in the future should you need our services.

08/12/2013

James K.

They did a great job. It took them a couple weeks to get to us, but they showed up on time and charged us what we expected. The chimney sweep was very nice and professional and took time to explain what he did and the specific nuances of our fireplace. He gave reasonable, down-to-earth advice. I didn't feel like I was being taken advantage of at all. I would definitely use them again and recommend them.

Description of Work
They performed a thorough inspection of our chimney, cleaned the chimney, fire box, and the glass on our fireplace.

Category chimney sweep

Thank you. We look forward to working with you in the future.
    For installation of Wood Stoves & Fireplaces
    Check, Visa, MasterCard

Wood Stove & Fireplace Installation, Inspection, Cleaning, & Repair, Masonry Chimney Repair & Dryer Vent Cleaning.

Live animal removal