SEAR'S ROEBUCK & CO

5870 POPLAR HALL DR

Norfolk, VA 23502

04/01/2016

marshall W.

My attempt to call their service rep was met with an unsatisfactory response of asking me to call back later. They then called me hours after the appointment window expired with the excuse of a systems failure with an offer to reschedule another day.

Description of Work
Sears appliance repair did not call or show up at the appointment time to fix my washer. This appointment was made several days in advance and I received 3 confirmation calls the night before the appointment. In fact they never showed up.

02/05/2015

Theodore D.

The sears warranty game. First never buy a Sears stove/washer without a warranty - you'll get plenty of use out of it. Bought a top of the line Sears top load washing HE machine. Had trouble after 6 months and called for warranty repair. This is how the Sears game is played. A week after you call a tech comes out - not to make a repair - but to diagnosis. Then another week passes to get parts worth $300 - wrong part. Then another week passes to get parts another $300 dollars worth - wrong part. Finally after 4 weeks they get the right part and make the repair, missing the obvious water leak. A month later, I a spot a field mouse in a canoe and call for repair. Another week passes. This time the tech orders $1,000 worth of parts and rebuilds the entire machine. Now if you have the type of household where you can go 6 weeks without your appliance get the warranty - I used my back up LG washer when the Kenmore died so no great loss. Now the Sears is the backup. This has also happened with a Kenmore electric range which took 6 weeks to determine the lower element had died - something I told the technician on the first visit (and even had the part); she replaced the computer three times.

Description of Work
Repairs under warranty to a stove and HE washer.

11/04/2014

Kelly L D.

I had a Sears representative come out to give an estimate on siding for my townhouse in early May 2014. After reviewing the agreement and pricing other companies I decided to go with Sears. They were less expensive and have been doing this type of work for a long time. I thought it was a safe bet. I really don't feel that way now. The project manager didn't even contact me about the project until I contacted her at the end of May to inquire about a start date. Materials came in and the work began two months later on July 14, 2014. I was under the impression that Sears would be doing the work themselves. Instead they sent a sub-contractor out for this project. I was okay with that as long as I got everything that I was told I would get during the estimate. My townhouse is in the middle of a row of townhouses, so there's only the front and back portions to side...no sides at all. I emailed Sears on Wednesday, July 16th with concerns that the contractor was moving slow (two days in and only half of the front was even touched and I was told this would be a 3 day project), they were just covering rotten wood (I was told that any rotten wood would be replaced before siding), and the installers really had no clue as to what they were suppose to doing. I got an email back from the project manager to say she'd spoken with the manger and he'd make sure my concerns were addressed. Long story short...there were many days the workers never showed up, I never saw them take down any rotten wood and replace it and ever ytime I asked about something they didn't understand a word I said. What was suppose to be a simple 3 day project didn't end until September 20, 2014...two months later. A couple of Sears technicians came out after most everything was covered to inspect the work and found several things that needed repair. They repaired those things and I haven't heard from Sears since, BUT I've gotten a bill for the work. I am extremely disappointed in this company, how they handled things on this job and with the work itself. I'm seriously just waiting for a strong wind to come by and blow the siding right off my house. I have windows to purchase and a deck to build. Sears will not be considered at all for these jobs!

Description of Work
Siding install on townhouse

Category appliance repair, siding

09/02/2014

m j P.

The salesperson came to us back in May to show us the windows. Needless to say, there was a lot of talking and promises. When he found out we wanted to redo our kitchen too, he said he would take it over and have a person who is in charge of that department to contact us. We waited and waited and nothing ever happened. Perhaps he was so excited that he got us to sign the contract for the windows he forgot about his other promises. Windows were installed 2 months later. 3 of the screens were damaged and we were promised they would be replaced within 2 weeks. A window sash was also broken. 4 weeks later a technician came with the 'new' screen. Well, 2 of the 3 were again broken. We were also promised they would clean the glue mess off the windows left behind from the installers. This has not happened. After spending $9550 on windows from Sears, we are living with partially broken, completely dirty windows for the entire Summer. Each time I call the service desk, i am put on hold for 15 minutes (yes, i called 6 times so far and 6 times put on hold). I guess they are also shocked at the notes in the system. If you want a complete job at a lower price, do not choose Sears Home Improvement services.

Description of Work
replaced all windows in my 2 story home.

06/27/2014

DIANE O.

I chose Sears because they've been around for a long time and they advertised that they received the highest award for their carpet cleaning. I had a coupon and it seemed like a good deal. My original quoted price was around $550 for 3 rooms of carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning for 2 sofas, 2 chairs, and 2 loveseats, but with all the add-ons (which the technician claimed would guarantee better results), my final bill was $934. I wanted everything cleaned and opted for the add-ons so that the work would be of the highest quality. However, it was a rip-off. I was charged extra to clean the 2 back pillows that were part of the sofa, not decorative. It would have been silly not to have them cleaned and the rest of the sofa cleaned. An extra $4 per linear foot was charged to clean the carpet to the edge of the walls where dust collects. Leaving that line of dust on an otherwise cleaned carpet seemed to defeat the purpose of a carpet cleaning. I understand the extra cost for Scotch Guard until I saw that a liquid mixture was just haphazardly sprayed around. It turns out the price quoted for grout cleaning was for an area much smaller than my 9' x 9' kitchen. Why not just be upfront about pricing instead of offering coupons that are deceiving? My furniture and carpets were lightly soiled, in good condition (their notation) so I don't know if they thought they could just do a quick once over. The kitchen grout needed heavy-duty cleaning. Turns out after the first cleaning, it was as if it hadn't been done at all. There was an area that I had cleaned myself with a brush and elbow grease. Their cleaning didn't even come close. The tech said he didn't have the right machine and I could call to have it re-done at no cost. After everything dried, I also saw that the heavy traffic areas of the carpet and 2 chairs and one love seat hadn't been totally cleaned. When I called to schedule to re-do the service, I was told they were very busy and it would be at least 2 weeks' wait. Oh no, not if I just spent almost $1000. Funny how they suddenly had an opening a week later. Unfortunately, the same 2 technicians were sent. If they did such a poor job the first time, why send them again? They arrived both times without proper equipment. One tech was so lazy and spent most of the time standing around. When he was left unsupervised to clean the grout on the second visit (while the first tech went to pick up a tool he had forgotten), he stopped working and started playing around on his phone. Three times I asked him to get back to work. I finally called Sears to complain and was told a cleaning manager would call me shortly. It is the following day, and I still haven't heard from this manager. Bottom line: there are still some areas I am not satisfied with, but I do not want to deal with them again and will just live with it. The aggravation, frustration, and inconvenience just aren't worth it to me at this point. Maybe Sears in other areas do good work, but in the Arlington/Alexandria area of Virginia, their quality of work is substandard, as is the technicians they hire. And their customer service is very poor after you sign up for the service.

Description of Work
I hired Sears to clean my carpets, upholstery, and kitchen floor grout.

Category carpet cleaners, upholstery cleaning, floor cleaning

01/20/2014

David F.

Our range died a few days before Thanksgiving. I called to schedule a repair with Sears and got an appointment for a few days later (day after Thanksgiving). I was fairly sure it was the main circuit card that blew and knew it would be $250-350. When I called they offered me an extended warranty. Since the range was new enough (4 years old), they would offer me a 1 year warranty and the repair would be covered by it. I agreed. The repairman came out. It was the card, but he had none in stock. It was ordered and due in about a week. But the computer gave me an appoint on Dec 19 (almost 3 weeks). The technician told me when the parts arrive to call and I can get an earlier appointment. So when the parts came in I did so, but no earlier appointment. If I was a nobody calling for a repair I could have had an appointment in about 2 days. But because this was now a warranty repair the next available was a few weeks. When the repairman came, he installed the new card and when plugged in the range the card immediately blew. This time, they did an "emergency" parts order, about 3 days. He did come back out on the 24th on his own (the company wouldn't schedule one before Jan 2nd). This time the repair worked. The repairman was polite and professional. But the company behind him is untrustworthy. Sending bad parts (it was remanufactured), not scheduling appointments, etc. I would never recommend a warranty from Sears again because of this.

Description of Work
Repaired the Range.

08/18/2012

Mark H.

It's the usual thing with Sears. They may have the best repair people for all I know but since they cannot schedule anything less than a 4 hour block I would never know because I don't have 4 hours to burn waiting for them.

Description of Work
Washing machine repair.

Vernon R.

This wasn t the first time I had them out to do repairs and like every time before the problem was taken care of smoothly and resolved. The ice maker was giving us trouble and since they worked on it, it has worked like new. They were very professional and considerate servicemen and they did what was needed as quickly as they could. My refrigerator was still under warranty.

Description of Work
I had them fix the ice maker in the refrigerator because it quit working on me.

DAN D.

These guys did a pretty good job for us. The price was probably a little high but things are expensive these days. The ice maker has worked great since they fixed it so overall I was satisfied with this company.

Description of Work
They repaired the ice maker in our refrigerator as it quit working.

05/22/2006

These guys were okay and they did what they came out to do. I guess for me no one is perfect so that was the reason for the C's. I felt they were just average, they were not bad, but not perfect. As far as the cost of the repair, my husband took care of that part.

Description of Work
The washing machine was not draining properly so they came out to fix it.

Ramesh R.

They did a great job installing the new garage door for me. The door works great and we ve had no problems with it. The installer was quick and efficient. He cleaned up well and hauled away the old wood door. He made sure we were happy with how the door worked.

Description of Work
They removed my old wooden garage door and installed a new aluminum garage door.

Category garage doors

DAVID P.

If we need new tires, or something more minor, we usually take our vehicles to Sears. Their prices are extremely low, and they have an assembly line type system over there, that speeds up the service. The new tires were on, and front end aligned in about forty five minutes. The handling of the car was noticeably better, after we had this done.

Description of Work
Sears Auto & Tire Center put new tires on our two thousand Buick sedan. They also re-aligned the front end.

05/22/2006

The service guy that came out was super friendly and he explained to me what was wrong with my dishwasher, and what he had to do to fix the problem. He called and set up a time to come do the repair and he showed up when he said he would. Sears was a very customer friendly company. My dishwasher was under warranty.

Description of Work
I had them fix my dishwasher because the valve was clogged up.

05/22/2006

I have always used Sears for different stuff and I haven't had any problems. They stuck to their estimate they gave me and did a thorough job and still got their job done in only three days. I would recommend them.

Description of Work
They installed new aluminum siding on our home.

Category siding

05/22/2006

We are real pleased with the service on our car. The tires are Michelin brand which we feel is a great tire with a good warranty. They are very friendly at the service station. We highly recommend their service.

Description of Work
We had four new tires put on my 1995 Voyager.

JOAN C.

Sears did a really good job on our carpeting. They came out after we picked out what we wanted and they had it all installed in one day. We have used Sears for many things in the past, and they have always done a good job for us.

Description of Work
Sears installed carpet in my living room, dining room, and hallway.

Category carpet installation

05/22/2006

Sears came right over to look at my washer and made a couple of adjustments on it. The contractor explained what was going on and was very nice and knowledgeable. I used Sears a lot because they were a good company. My washing machine was under warranty.

Description of Work
My washer was making noise so the repair man came out to look at it.

05/22/2006

I was very unhappy with their repair service. I will never purchase another appliance from them. It was the 7th or 8th time they had come to repair the same problem and they still didn t get the problem fixed. It was somewhat fixed, but not completely. It has been frustrating to deal with. My refrigerator was under warranty.

Description of Work
They did a repair on the ice maker in my refrigerator. It wasn t making solid ice and the door stuck.

SUSAN T.

I felt that they were very reliable and nice to do business with. The man that came out did a nice job of explaining what needed to be done and then fixed it. We haven't had anymore problems with our washing machine since the repair. The work that was done was covered warranty.

Description of Work
They replaced the transmission in my washing machine.

DEB B.

Sears sent someone out the next day after we called. They had one part and had to order another so they came back the following week to do the repair. It had to do with the ice filtration system. We've had no problems since. This was under warranty.

Description of Work
Sears repaired our refrigerator which was leaking.

05/22/2006

The technician came over the day after I purchased the opener at Sears. He arrived first thing in the morning, with everything need to do the job. It was amazing how fast he finished (maybe forty five minutes). Then he called me out to show me the reset switch in case of a lightening strike, or if it hit the bumper of my car. This opener is not only much faster than the old one, but it can barely be heard.

Description of Work
Sears replaced the automatic opener for my overhead garage door.

Category garage doors

05/22/2006

I think that Sears did a good job. I have not had any problems with the tires since they put them on. The tires are very well balanced and seem to be fine. It did not take them long to put the tires on. I thought the job moved rather quickly. I was amazed at how quickly my vehicle was finished. I have no complaints and will probably go back to Sears next year to have newer tires put on.

Description of Work
Sears put four brand new tires on my 2000 Crown Victoria.

05/22/2006

The original contractor found the burned out circuit board and put it back into the television. When I called and called, Sears sent out another contractor after 3 months, he fixed it. Sears sent a $50 gift card for my inconvenience. I have used Sears for over 20 years with no problem until now, but they made it right. My appliance was under warranty.

Description of Work
We had them come to our home to repair our 32 inch color television because the circuit board burned out.

05/22/2006

When I brought it in to them, I described the symptoms, and told them I did not want a complete brake job, just the pads. This is an old car, and is not worth that much. They said they would do what I wanted. They did the exact opposite, and tried to tell me they had no choice. I never received a call about their decision; they just did it on their own. I thought this was dishonest, and will not take any of our cars there anymore.

Description of Work
Sears Auto & Tire Center replaced the entire braking system on my nineteen ninety Ford Aerostar.

BETH H.

Sears did a good job installing our air conditioning unit. The installers were really friendly. They had my air conditioner installed in no time. They cleaned up after themselves when they were done. They were very respectful to me and my home.

Description of Work
They installed a small air conditioning unit in my home.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac