NorthCraft Builders Inc

Founded 2007 • With Angi since September 2008

PO Box 7768

Arlington, VA 22207

NorthCraft Builders is a family owned and operated business providing Decks, Porches, Sunrooms, and Interior Remodeling services to Northern Virginia and D.C. Our company goal is to provide the highest quality service to our clients. We believe that quality control begins with listening to our clients desires and using our experience and knowledge to help make your vision become a reality....

01/06/2020

Lauren S.

We have trusted NorthCraft with at least 5 major projects, including a screened-in porch (now our favorite part of our home), a full bathroom re-model, and an entire basement renovation following a flood in July 2019. Speaking from extensive experience with this company, I can attest to the *outstanding professionalism* demonstrated by every single employee. They have incredibly high standards for their work. They maintain an immaculate work space and are respectful and polite. The owner, Jeff Kelly, is attentive and responsive; when I called him, stressed and exhausted after the flood had damaged our home, he arranged to have his team begin the renovation within a week. Similarly, he expedited installation of a gorgeous new front door just in time for a major family event. NorthCraft executes consistently excellent work at reasonable prices. Each project has lasted well and added value and enjoyment to our home. NorthCraft is a MUST-CALL for an estimate for any home renovation.

Description of Work
Multiple home renovations (including screened-in porch, bathroom renovation, basement renovation)

Category decks, home remodeling, basement remodeling

11/26/2018

JOAN K.

The job did not go well. The office did not communicate with us. We had to keep calling to find out when they were going to start. Then they started and didn't come back. They never told us when they were going to return and again we had to call and call. The job took far longer than it should have because they would leave and not return. Most of quality of the work done was good but not all. One problem was that the man in charge of the workers wanted to put staircase rails much higher than the existings ones. I had to make him change the height. There was no sketch or drawing so the work crew just did want they felt was needed when in reality they were to create the same porch as the existing one but with new materials. When they finally finished, there were gaps in seams and columns were not completed. Again we had to call and call and they didn't come. The contractor admitted that they had too much work and were called away from our job. But they never indicated this while we were waiting for them to finish. Finally they finished the job. I cannot recommend this company

Description of Work
Remodel existing front porch

01/24/2018

Surjeet K.

I want to thank NorthCraft Builders for building our new carport. My wife and I have had difficulty getting from our car to our front door as we have been aging. When I met with Jeff, he understood our needs and designed an outstanding new carport to help us be safe when we get to and from our car. With my heart condition, it will be great that I do not have to clean snow off my car anymore. The design is simple and matches our home in just the right way. The carpenters were very professional and always cleaned up the job area at the end of each day. I am recommending NorthCraft Builders to all of my neighbors, family, and friends.

Description of Work
Carport (NEW)

Category decks, electrician, garage builders, house painters, interior painters

12/13/2017

Virginia V.

Sadly, it is freezing in my "four season sun room," with wind blowing in around the windows, which were NOT the quality that I specified, around the switch plates, and around a pocket door that is against an outside wall and has gaps top and bottom...and, I have just learned, was installed without insulation. The mini split heating/ac system is not the brand indicated in my contract. Trim on beams is falling off; not all corners of trim meet; nail holes left unfilled. Communication has been dreadful with slow follow-up, the contractor being unavailable for days, weeks, and more at a time. Communication between contractor and subcontractors has been non-existent at times. Contractor ripped off an existing gutter, causing flooding to another room and damaging and destroying personal things--some which can't be repaired or replaced. Some of my things were broken or discarded by construction team. Jeff is personable and I had high hopes, as he had done a good job on a deck. But his nail bangers are not finish carpenters. He attempted to correct flaws they had made as well as repair the flooded area...BUT...the room is not usable as it is without running auxiliary electric heats. I have stuffed plastic bags in gaps around the pocket door and frame and have made other efforts to make the room livable but alas, it is not what we bargained for.

Description of Work
Four Season Sunroom

Category decks, drywall, electrician, roofing, screen repair, replacement windows, ceiling fans, house painters, interior painters, sunrooms

I want to thank Dr. [Member Name Removed] for giving us the opportunity to build her new Sun Room. She has mentioned to me on numerous occasions how much she has been enjoying the space and how it benefits her and her family. The Northern [Member Name Removed] cold in December has brought out some concerns that she has about the new space, as expressed above. The HVAC system designed for the Sun Room is very adequate as explained by the technician that has visited Dr. [Member Name Removed] twice so far to explain to her how to use the controls properly. The windows and insulation are excellent and both have passed through Arlington County building inspectors with flying colors. The pocket door, pictured in the review as well, was done at her request despite our recommendations not to install. The interior finish is beautiful and the exterior remodel of the new and old spaces bring added value and much needed curb appeal to this property. Several concessions have been made during the project to try to please Dr. [Member Name Removed], but even with this terrific new space, she seems to remain intent on only speaking negatively about the outstanding work that our talented craftsman have worked hard to complete. Since our response does not provide a platform to include our photos, I encourage you to visit [Hyperlink Removed] for a complete profile of this project. Thank you.

10/29/2017

Susan P.

This project was done in two phases....1. Sunroom construction (with demolition and removal of an old deck) and 2. patio installation. I was very happy with all aspects of the project, and most especially, the results. High quality construction, engaged planning and execution, super communication all throughout the project. The estimates were true to reality and we were engaged throughout the entire process. I have had many projects done in the past and generally the worst part typically is the communication with the contractor. Not so with NorthCraft Builders. Very timely and responsive to our questions or concerns. I would definitely hire again. However, they do not do complex fencing, nor do they do indoor or additional work that involves plumbing (at least at the time of writing this review).

Description of Work
Full construction sun room and patio installation

04/01/2017

Walt E.

Both jobs went perfectly, especially the front portico. It needed to look like it was built with the house, and not "added". They worked with my wife who was very particular on how it should look. It came out perfectly.

Description of Work
They have built a screened porch and a custom front portico for me.

Category decks, electrician, roofing

11/05/2015

edward R.

We worked with Jeff to create a detailed project with for a porch, deck patio and basement finishing. He was very patient thru the process with multiple questions and revisions. We ended up not selecting them and going with someone else, but they did a great job on the pre-sale process and we would recommend working with them anytime.

Description of Work
We worked to create a project proposal and design

12/25/2014

Susanne H.

They were very competitively priced and provided all of the services so that I did not have to deal separately with painters, etc., as was the case with other bidders. They were on time, cleaned up every day and were very pleasant to work with. Very accommodating and did terrific work. They came recommended through a colleague at work who had a similar positive experience.

Description of Work
Northcraft rebuilt the floor of my existing deck and created a new pergola after tree damage destroyed the old one. They also sanded and painted the remainder of the deck to match the new section. They made repairs where necessary, but used as much of the existing structure as possible resulting in cost savings.

Category decks, deck cleaning, house painters, hardscaping

11/02/2014

Jennifer R.

We sat down with five contractors going through the process. We were very impressed to find out that the person who came to give us our initial consultation was the owner of the company, Jeff. He was prompt and very professional. We had a lot of questions for him and also wanted his opinion on several concepts for our deck and patio. He gave us great, explanative, reasonable answers for all of the answers to our questions.. He came back to our home two more times; once to show us a sample of the under-decking and another to go over the final plans with us one more time. He took a a week longer than other companies to get us an initial estimate, but his estimate was detailed and easy to understand. His estimate included everything we had discussed. We also felt like his estimate was, by far, the fairest of all of our estimates. Jeff?s prices seemed very reasonable, but his estimate came in way below everyone else. We were so blown back by the difference in his prices compared to our other estimates that we contacted Jeff to confirm. We emailed him directly on a Friday afternoon, and he called us back within 45 minutes. We were very concerned about the low estimate because people always warn you about going with the lowest estimate. We went on Angie?s list and read the reviews of everyone we talked to. We also used another rating service that is local to the area. NorthCraft had, by far, the most reviews, and the majority of the reviews were overwhelmingly favorable of them. NorthCraft?s reputation and professionalism, combined with their very fair estimate, convinced us to go with them. One thing I should note is that I had a *lot* of questions for Jeff before we even started construction. He always called me or emailed me back within 24 hours and was very patient with me. He treated us well throughout this process. The thing that impressed us the most with his pricing was that his price for a wood deck was the same as the national chain that has a fairly favorable reputation. Jeff only wanted an additional $1,000 to use composite instead of wood though. Every other company that we received a bid from charged a minimum of $5,000 to upgrade from wood decking to composite decking. We had already shopped around at lumber yards to select the type of composite decking we wanted, andwe also compared the prices of the different materials. When we learned that the entire frame of the deck is regular pressure treated lumber (not composite), and that only the surface boards of the deck are composite, we realized that the increase in cost for the composite over the wood shouldn?t be a huge increase in cost because the deck is still mostly made with lumber. Once we came to that realization , it became clear to us that we were dealing with an honest and fair person. It really increased our confidence in our decision to use him. Jeff got us the plans for our HoA in about a week, and secured the needed county permits very quickly. The scheduled start date (the last week in July) was three weeks after the signing of the contract, and they started on the day they promised. Before they began, Jeff gave me the phone numbers and email addresses of the project manager (Ronald) and the field supervisor (Aldo). I?ll note that Ronald and Aldo were both perfectly bilingual, which made it easy to communicate clearly and easily with them. They arrived promptly at the time promised, and Aldo explained what was going to be done to make sure our expectations were the same. He went over the project timeline told us what to expect through the process. He answered all of our questions and made sure we were able to contact him whenever we needed. Ronald worked onsite with one other person, and Aldo managed multiple projects. They both gave us updates throughout the process and discussed any problems or complications with us in a timely manner. Throughout the process I had a lot of questions, and they were both great about answering them. I could get a response from a text message in less than an hour most times. Ronald and Aldo estimated that it would take two weeks to build the deck, but it took two weeks and three days. I?m very satisfied with the time it took for them to finish because there were some unavoidable delays due to weather Ronald and his coworker worked hard and put in long hours on a few days to make up for that. Some of our composite decking was delivered damaged, and Aldo let us know that it would take a week or so to get new boards for the deck. I told Aldo about a local lumber yard that carried the composite decking that we were using, andhe went out and got the decking from them right away rather than waiting the additional time to use his contact. Because of Aldo?s willingness to do that our project was only delayed a few hours instead of a few days. NorthCraft estimated that it would take a week to construct the patio. It took their subcontractors all of two days. There were five people working on our patio at once, and they all worked very hard. The patio turned out great. Aldo sat down with us and the subcontractor to make sure we were all on the same page. The subcontractor?s project manager, Joel Jr, was wonderful to work with. Joel Jr was also perfectly bilingual, and we had no problems communicating with him.Our patio has a curved edge, and we were very impressed by how well they were able to construct that feature. We were especially blown away with how quickly they got the patio completed. After the deck and patio were finished, we had to have the gutter system installed for the under-decking. It took a couple of days to get the subcontractor out to do it, but he did it in less than a day. Before we had the low-voltage lighting installed by the patio, we wanted to do some landscaping around the patio. Ronald was willing to wait the few weeks we needed to complete our landscaping, and then he only took a half day to complete that for us. We also elected to have the wooden parts of our deck stained. NorthCraft finished that a few weeks after the project was complete to allow time for the wood to dry out. The level of craftsmanship that NorthCraft displayed on our deck, as well as their subcontractor?s level of craftsmanship for the patio, was very high. The process went well, and we?re thrilled with the final product. We will use them again if we move to another home that has no deck or patio, and we highly recommend that you use them as well.

Description of Work
NorthCraft built a composite deck and paver patio for us. The patio is raised because of the slope in our yard, and the deck is a second story deck. The patio includes a curved design and low-voltage landscape lights. NorthCraft subcontracted the patio work to Mason Quality Construction. . The deck is Armadillo composite with metal balusters and a composite cap on the railings. The deck also includes a privacy lattice and indirect lighting. NorthCraft also installed “Dry-Snap” under-decking.

Category decks, electrician, fencing, roofing, deck cleaning, hardscaping

08/07/2014

Jessica L.

It went very well. They were great.

Description of Work
They screened in our back deck.

Category decks, screen repair, deck cleaning, garage builders

07/28/2014

Richard Y.

The project went outstandingly. I can enthusiastically recommend NorthCraft Builders for construction and/or renovation. They fully met our specifications, the quality could not be beat, were on time and on schedule, and within budget. The original problem was disintegration of the roof of an approximately 40? x 15? shop/studio, which is attached to the house. The real problem was that a deck had been built over the over this room and to get to the roof we had to demolish the deck. The project goal was to replicate what we had but with a roof that didn?t leak. It was a very complicated project. The deck is quite large and partially roofed with lattice work, has a staircase, an adjacent side deck with a ramp and gate. The result is a magnificent deck that Pablo and his guys, whose work ethic would exhaust Hercules, created that far exceeded my expectations and that they should be very proud of.

Description of Work
Deck and roof demolition. Rebuilt the roof. Built a large complicated deck over the roof.

Category decks, roofing

07/13/2014

Rowena O.

Jeff worked with me on the initial quote and provided suggestions to make the most of my budget. They were the best of four quotes. Got to work fairly quickly and Pablo and his partner worked diligently and carefully, never cutting corners despite some weather delays that kept them longer on site. They buried my water drains and removed a large patio from the back porch all the while never complaining about the terrible clay in our backyard. The deck looks fantastic and is finished well. I would highly recommend them to others due to their professionalism and quality product.

Description of Work
Custom deck and walkway

Category decks, hardscaping

06/17/2014

Todd M.

The work was supposed to start early May and they stated the work would be completed in about a month, we?re at about a month and a half now on the job. They haven?t conformed to the schedule that was made. The concrete work took about 2 weeks and the concrete guy did his job fairly well. It?s been hard to communicate information to them because I was never told who was in charge of the project. They got most of the structure up then I had an electrician come in to do his work. The carpenter, however, didn?t demo the work and prepare for the electrician. There was a lot of miscommunication on details. I had to tell them several times that they weren?t completing the work according to our contract and make sure they did the work right. Their measurements were off and they weren?t able to install one of the windows I wanted. I asked them at this point to pay for the tile that would be used and for a fan that I was going to pay for, they agreed to pay for those items but said they couldn?t do anything more. When they got to working around the sliding glass door the carpenter told me he couldn?t work on it at that time. I had to pay for the frame as well as go to two different Home Depot?s to get the frame. They installed some windows and one of them was broken when it was installed, they said they would order a new one and one hasn't arrived yet. They were at my house today but there are still many steps left to this project, they said the project would be done at the end of the week but I don?t believe it will be completed. Update: We've come to a resolution. The PM came to resolve the issues. I said they needed to get the job done by Tuesday. They finished the job and then had inspectors come in on Wen and passed. They reimbursed me for some of the costs of the items. In the end I felt they were more than accommodating to address any issues. Update #2: Thought we had everything resolved but now I am being charged for a door that I should not be charged for. When I spoke to the field supervisor, he claimed that I would be able to choose whichever door I pleased at no cost. Since this was a verbal agreement and not anything documented, I had no way to back up my statements with an employee there. In lieu of all of this, I was asked to update my prior report so I feel it is right to update this report again with the new development.

Description of Work
They were to build a sunroom for me.

Category sunrooms

05/15/2014

Marny B.

Jeff arrived promptly and listened intently to my needs and my ideas. He took the ideas that I had and did not try to sell me more or tell me why what I wanted wouldn't work. In fact, he tried to work around some of the difficulties of what I wanted and find a way to make them work. He got back with me promptly with that estimate. Right after that, we found out from our HOA that we could indeed install a fence and that turned out to be a more cost effective solution for us, so I called Jeff back and asked if he could give me an estimate for a fence instead. He was as prompt and efficient as before and got me an estimate quickly. We ended up not doing the bathroom project because it was too far out of our budget right now, but we would have chosen Northcraft had we been able to move forward with it. As far as the fence went, we did end up choosing another company because their price was a bit less and they were able to fit us in quite a bit sooner, but it was a tough decision. I was impressed all the way by Jeff and once we are in the position to move forward with the bathroom project and the deck, which we still want to do later, I won't need to call 3 different companies, I will be calling Northcraft Builders.

Description of Work
I scheduled an estimate with Jeff for a 2nd story deck and a half bath addition on the main level of my home.

Category decks, fencing, garage builders, home remodeling

04/30/2014

Darryl S.

Jeff at Northcraft was great--he responded promptly with a detailed price that he stuck to, and John--who actually built the deck--did a beautiful job that was above and beyond with many little touches that we wouldn't have thought of. Both approached the project with intelligence and sensitivity to our needs--in short, they listened and delivered a great, safe place for our children to play as if building the deck for themselves.

Description of Work
built deck covering back yard.

03/17/2014

SUSAN M.

Everyone at Northcraft Builders was great to work with. Jeff responded quickly with a detailed estimate. Price was good. It was clear they had a great deal of experience in building screened in porches because a few other builders turned down the job when they learned it was going to be on top of a cement slab. Very professional and excellent communication. Had a little delay due to repeated snow storms, but was impressed that they worked even on very cold days. Aldo was the project manager and he was excellent at adapting to the specific needs of our project and constantly consulted with us re decisions on how we wanted things to look. Included in the contract was a roofer and electrician (to install electric outlets and a ceiling fan.) As they were completing the project it became apparent to us that some existing storms doors we had needed replacing and Aldo agreed to come back and install them even though they were not part of the original contract. It was evident when the building inspector came that they were great builders and were knowledgeable of the code. We look forward for the snow to end and the temperature to get above freezing so we can enjoy the porch.

Description of Work
Built a screened in porch.

Category decks, electrician, ceiling fans, sunrooms

02/18/2014

James B.

Scheduling was a little challenging, but once scheduled the work went well. The craftsmanship seems excellent, and I have not had any problems. My only disappointment was with the product itself, but that was more of an issue with the supplier--not Northcraft. In fact, I am using Northcraft for another unrelated interior project.

Description of Work
Replaced three stationary windows in sunroom with windows that open. Price did not include the cost of the new window unit.

Category decks, replacement windows, sunrooms

02/17/2014

Surjeet K.

Referred to NorthCraft Builders by Arlington neighbor who had beautiful screen porch built. Met with Jeff back in October for new deck. I was also getting estimates for kitchen and bathroom remodels from another company. Jeff informed me that they do interior work too. I was pleased with the estimate. It took a few weeks to work out details. I ran out of time to do the deck work as winter set in. Started with bathroom remodels and then did kitchen. Met with Reico kitchen designer Danielle. She helped us redesign our kitchen space to make it more functional. Project manager, Luis, did a wonderful job. Aldo, construction supervisor, helpful and always willing to accommodate my wife's changes. Contractors late a couple of days due to snow and weather. Work completed on time. Slightly over budget because my wife kept making upgrades. Scheduled to deck in March. Overall experience excellent!

Description of Work
Kitchen Remodel, bath remodel, and new deck.

Category decks, remodeling, home remodeling

01/16/2014

Elaine S.

Northcraft built a screened in porch and deck to replace our old deck. We looked at porches they had built for others and were very impressed. They were not the cheapest, but the quality of their work justified the slightly higher cost. Jeff, the president of the company was easy to reach if we had any questions and responded promptly. We had picked a starting date and they showed up to start the project right on time. Pablo and his assistant worked almost every day until the project was completed, and were a pleasure to work with. The original drawing was changed to something we liked better with no problem. There are still a couple tasks that can not be completed until warmer weather.

Category decks, sunrooms

01/02/2014

Brian C.

The overall experience was great and the final work product was exactly what we wanted. The crew was even able to quickly and efficiently handle a minor design change midway through the project. The only negative experience was a one-week start date delay and lack of timely communication around this delay. However once the project commenced the communication improved and all the timelines were met. Would definitely recommend NorthCraft and would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
Removed existing deck. Designed and built a 140 square foot deck with Trex and a vinyl railing system.

11/26/2013

Melissa R.

We wanted to do something a little different with our deck from a traditional rectangle. Jeff immediately got what I wanted, and his crew executed it perfectly. we had some issues with our HOA and had to make a few changes along the way. Jeff was extremely responsive and helpful all along the way. The work was excellent.

Description of Work
NorthCraft Builders built a free standing deck on the back of our townhouse and installed two sliding doors out onto the deck.

11/21/2013

josh N.

We are very happy with the end result! It looks great and friends and family are giving us great feedback on this outdoor addition to our home. The cost was what we agreed upon (except for a few changes we made during the project - which were priced fairly by Northcraft as changes to the original scope of work). The crew was here every day working and they kept a very neat work area in the back yard. For such a large project, this was very easy for us... I would highly recommend them and have done so already!

Description of Work
Northcraft removed our old 2nd story deck and replaced it with a new deck and screened-in porch. They also built some new fencing in the yard.

Category decks, fencing, sunrooms

08/20/2013

Daniel S.

Working with Jeff was also good. He discussed options with me. We decided to go with wood which is the cheapest solution. I wish we could have afforded stone, but the most important thing was to get everything functional again. We can always hide the columns with lattice as well. I am so happy to be using the porch again. Thanks NorthCraft!

Description of Work
We hired Northcraft to repair our porch, which was sagging due to improper construction. We recently moved into the house, and we were afraid the porch would collapse at any moment. We weren't able to use our patio until NorthCraft came to make the necessary repairs. They propped the house back up and added wood support columns in concrete footers. All of the men who came to do the work were professional, polite and left no mess.

07/24/2013

Susan W.

We needed our deteriorating front deck replaced, plus the adjacent kitchen floor which suffered from years of water damage and inadequate subfloor. We hoped that the water damage had not affected the original joists on to which the new deck and floor would be constructed and hoped to find a reliable and knowledgeable contractor who could cover both jobs. Received several estimates, higher, lower, same, covering both jobs or each job individually. Finally chose NorthCraft Builders, based upon high ratings/reviews in Angies List, Checkbook, Better Business Bureau, Yelp and having met owner Jeff Kelley who came to do the estimate and inspires confidence! Further, the cost estimate and projected start date met requirements. We needed work to be finished before end of June due to visitors arriving and due to county requirements. Work commenced on Monday Jun 17 as promised and all, including tile laying, was finished by the end of the week. Luis and crew kept the place as tidy as possible. They (and Jeff, Jeff's Dad, and office administrator Lily Singh) took care to explain what they were accomplishing (I was home all week, knew nothing of the process, and consequently had too many questions). The end result is very nice and neighbors have been making positive comments about the deck. Even better, the homeowner's association and county inspector are well satisfied. We would use NorthCraft Builders in future and would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Front deck rebuild on existing joists plus kitchen floor (partial subfloor, complete underlayment, tile and quarter molding)replacement.

Category decks, home remodeling

05/13/2013

Marquis T.

A company that needs no review, the work speaks for its self. The workman ship was top notch, crews on time, Jeff had his finger on the pulse the entire time. they did a great job and we are very happy, job well done.

Description of Work
We had a shed built from the ground up on a hill, with a 4 foot drop..

Category decks, garage builders