Chew Bittel Assoc Inc

Founded 1887 • With Angi since March 2006

We specialize in roofing, siding, windows, doors & gutters. Chew Bittel Associates has been in business for over 130 years and has only had four owners, enhancing the core values from our beginning. The new management team has over 60 years of experience in the roofing and siding business. Our vice

roofing (21)siding companies (6)door installation (2)window replacement (2)gutter repair (2)skylight installation (1)pressure washing (1)

05/30/2021

Eric J.

Luis and the entire crew along with Ed from the management team performed above expectations. The assistance provided in the selection of materials, their understanding of what we wanted done and the timely notifications of key milestone points of the project was outstanding. All steps were well communicated to us and the expectations created were met each and every time. While this work generates a great deal of debris and messy surroundings the crew cleaned up each and every day before departing. The crew worked 8-10 hours daily and paid attention to all the details required to complete the work in a professional and timely manner. The choice of CertainTeed siding as the main component was a excellent choice and Chew Bittel was recommended by CertainTeed when we contacted them directly.

Description of Work
Replace siding, shutters, gutters and front door surround. Install insulation materials on all walls.

Category gutter repair, remodeling, siding

Work Completed On 05/25/2021

Review for Chew Bittel Assoc Inc - 213 N Sycamore St, Newtown, PA - 39351385

07/08/2020

Michael A.

Excellent work by the entire team. The job we well organized and the team was clearly very experienced, it was roughly two full days of work and it was completed on some very hot days to be on the roof. The results, including attention to detail, were above expectation. I would highly recommend Chew Bittel for any outside work on your home!

Description of Work
Replace Wood Framing on Portico and 2 Roof Dormers

Category siding

Work Completed On 06/26/2020

Thank you Mr. [Member Name Removed]. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased that you were happy with the work. It was a pleasure working with you!

03/21/2020

Donna W.

Great would definitely use again

Description of Work
Shingles and boots replacement

Work Completed On 03/12/2020

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate it. It was a pleasure working with you!

01/22/2019

William V.

So far my experience has been good. The roof was completed and cleaned up in the same day. I plan to get more work done from them in March of this year. I would recommend them.

Description of Work
Put a new roof on my home.

Work Completed On 12/10/2018

Thank you so much for the positive review. We greatly appreciate it! We are glad you were happy with the results. It was a pleasure working with you and we look forward to working with you again in March.

01/18/2019

Pat G.

It was excellent. Everything went fine. Very accommodating, timely and easy to deal with.

Description of Work
New roof install

Work Completed On 10/17/2018

Thank you for your kind words! We take pride in maintaining the highest standards when it comes to our customer service. We greatly appreciate your feedback and we are happy that you were pleased with our service.

01/18/2019

Joe R.

They did a fine job for me. They are a good contractor, show up when they say they will, cleaned up so well I barely knew they were here. I will recommend and continue to use them.

Description of Work
New Roof and Skylight Installation

Work Completed On 01/12/2019

We are grateful that you took the time to write a review. Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We strive to deliver great work and customer service. We appreciate the recommendation and will continue to provide excellent service.

01/16/2019

C J.

It went very well. Highly recommend

Description of Work
Roof repair

Work Completed On 10/18/2018

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We are happy that your were pleased with the work. It was a pleasure working with you!

Jeff B.

They did a fine job and had no issues.

Description of Work
I had them do roofing and skylights for me about 3-4 weeks ago.

Category roofing, skylights

Work Completed On 12/19/2018

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. We are so pleased that you were happy with our services. It was great working with you. Thank you for the kind words.

Dora B.

The manger was great. He was very responsive and sent a proposal out when he said he was going to. He gave us a discount, because my neighbor also used them at the same time. The crew showed up when they were supposed to. They were neat and clean.

Description of Work
They did our roof a few months ago.

Work Completed On 09/18/2018

Thank you so much for the positive review. We greatly appreciate it. We pride ourselves on being efficient, prompt and responsive. We are so pleased that you were happy with our service. Thank you again!

Jim L.

It went well. Showed up on time. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
They did siding work

Work Completed On 11/20/2018

Thank you for the positive review and recommendation. We greatly appreciate it! It was a pleasure working with you and we take pride in our work and will continue to create positive experiences for our customers.

Richard W.

They came out when they said they would. They did a very quick job. They also did an extremely professional job. They cleaned up well after they finished.

Description of Work
We had them install a new roof the middle of the summer.

Work Completed On 07/06/2018

Thank you for the positive review! We are so glad you were pleased with our services as we take pride in our projects from start to finish. It was a pleasure working with you and we appreciate your business.

David M.

They did an excellent job. They a very neat job. They tarped our house, they didn’t leave any debris. They worked with us on the price and their quality was top notch.

Description of Work
They replaced our roof.

Work Completed On 10/16/2018

Everyone one here at Chew Bittel is thrilled to hear such great feedback. We pride ourselves in providing top notch customer service and quality. We greatly appreciate that you took the time to leave a review. Thank you again!

12/21/2017

Fred R.

This is the second time that I have used this company and could not be happier. They responded to my initial contact in less than 24 hours and the job was completed in two days. they had to rip off two layers of old shingles and install a complete new roof in addition to adding insulation in the ceiling of my sun room and installing a storm door. the crew was professional, pleasant, hard working, and accommodating. The work was first class and the clean up was beyond expectation. On the morning of completion I found one of the crew on his hands and knees in my landscaping picking up small debris that had dropped into it. These people know how to provide customer service. I would use them again and recommend them to anyone who asks.

Description of Work
New Roof, Roof Insulation, Storm Door

Category roofing, doors

Work Completed On 12/19/2017

01/08/2016

Leah T.

Description of Work
Never called or replied to my request.

Work Completed On 01/07/2016

Chew Bittel Associates, Inc is under new ownership. This began in June 2018. We are sorry to hear that you didn't receive any response from the previous owner. The new management team prides itself on providing excellent customer service. We will be happy to assist you in the future.

11/28/2015

Diane S.

Very professional nice guy. Respected our wishes , great work and will use them again.

Description of Work
Home siding

Work Completed On 09/21/2015

09/03/2015

Patti P.

My next door neighbor and I both contracted to have Chew Bittel do the work as there was some consideration in the price to have both roofs done at the same time. I took a day off from work to be around when work started, but work began only on my neighbor’s roof. Chew Bittel uses a sub contractor that has more that one crew and apparently the more desirable crew was not available due to the weather causing them to fall behind on a job. The crew started on my neighbor’s roof with an indication that work would begin on mine as soon as possible. That turned out to be late in the day with only a minimal amount done. Richard Shallcross, owner of Chew Bittel, was unhappy that the work crew we had was being used. Apparently he knew from previous experience that it was sub par. Subsequently, the roofing work moved along and toward the end my wife was told that a bush was significantly damaged when a piece of 3/4” plywood was thrown off the second floor roof. When my wife asked what happened, the supervisor of the crew, who primarily stood around and did very little, told my wife with a smile that it was “collateral damage”. All along we had difficulty understanding him due to a language barrier, and we found it aggravating that he should be proud of himself for being able to use the phrase. It made us think that he used it often. Once the roof was done, we noticed that some of the shingles appeared warped and raised from the rest. As it was the fall and getting cooler, we were first advised that the warmer weather in the spring would cause those shingles to flatten out. Nevertheless, Richard had someone come and take care of them right then. Richard said they could fix it by nailing through the face of the shingle with a wire nail after putting silicone sealer under the shingle. When the repair was done, nails were put in through the face of the shingle without any silicone. I told Richard about this and he agreed it should not have been done that way, but he wanted to wait until spring to fix it since the weather was getting colder. I contacted him in March and reminded him of getting the repair done, but now he was saying that the way it was done should not be a problem and not cause any leaks. I had always been told that nailing through the face of a shingle was a sure way to get leaks and told him I wanted it fixed properly. Now he was getting busy and he told me that he would get back to me. He never did and I called and left messages 3 more times on his business phone and cell phone. In addition, the ridge vent does not seem to be doing the job. Our upstairs is much warmer during the summer and I believe it was because it restricted the flow of air from the attic. The ridge vent that was on the roof they tore off did a much better job. The siding on one side of the house and basement window replacement was done well.

Description of Work
Removal of a single layer of shingles on house, garage and shed. Replacement of roof decking as needed. Installation of weather blocker starter strip and new roof of Tamko material. Installation of GAF cobra snow country low profile ridge vents on both sides of ridge pole “for proper air flow from attic”. Removal of old gutters and down spouts. Installation of 6” heavy weight white aluminum gutters and downspout on entire house. Removal of siding on one side of house due to storm damage. Removal of old air conditioner and repair of exterior wall and interior wall, installation of new siding and gable end vents. Installation of basement window purchased by us.

Work Completed On 09/23/2014

We are sorry to hear about your experience. Chew Bittel Inc, Associates is under new management. Our team has been working hard to provide excellent results and customer service since taking over in June 2018. If you need any assistance in the future, we will be happy to help you.

06/01/2015

John R.

We are completely happy with Chew Bittel. After lots of planning (and saving), we decided to completely renovate our first floor. After bidding the project to multiple vendors, we decided to go with Chew Bittel. The primary factors were price, reputation and our salesperson at Chew Bittel. I found our contact at Chew Bittel, Art, very easy to work with. He is knowledgeable about the products, is responsive to calls and texts, and communicates in a clear manner. Throughout the process of getting the work outlined Art gave us multiple options and was always honest about timelines for each. In regards to the finished product, the workmanship of the team is excellent. We had a third party install the counter tops and the guys commented "I don't know who your contractors are, but these are PERFECT!" It's not all rainbows and puppy dogs. Having your house renovated is dirty, inconvenient and otherwise painful. What made it easier is that Art took the time to ensure that I was informed of the timelines and the challenges that we would encounter. We now have a beautiful first floor and it was well worth it!

Description of Work
Chew Bittel did a renovation on the first floor of our home.

Category remodeling, roofing

Work Completed On 04/30/2015

10/06/2014

Bill S.

Dick Shalllcross, the owner of the company, was personally involved from the very beginning of the project. I had Dick provide estimates for other work done to repair the damage caused by the tree limb but chose another contractor. In retrospect, I should have gone with my instincts and had Chew-Bittel do the entire project. The crew was very professional. The foreman had no problem telling the crew to pull off siding improperly installed and re-do it. I believe they took care of my house the same way they would have taken care of their own. Even the neighbors were very impressed at how well the crew worked on the house and how nice the finished product was. I would highly recommend Chew-Bittel to anyone thinking of doing any siding, roofing or window job. You may be able to find another contractor that will give you a lower price, but I don't think you'd ever find another contractor who gives you more than what you pay for. I am extremely pleased with the work Chew--Bittel did.

Description of Work
Chew Bittel replaced the siding on my house and exterior garage after a tree branch damaged my house.

Category roofing, siding

Work Completed On 09/15/2014

07/03/2014

Geraldine R.

They were excellent. I highly recommend them. They're a pretty reputable place to do business with. I've already used them twice.

Description of Work
They did the gutters all the way around the house. They took down the old gutters and put all new ones up.

Category gutter repair

Work Completed On 07/03/2013

06/27/2014

Edward C.

Description of Work
Chew-Bittle replaced siding that was damaged by Hurricane Sandy more than a year ago. Their service was the best experience we have had among the several contractors we have employed over the 30+ years we have been in our home. They were prompt, professional and performed a very high quality installation of fiber-cement siding on the front and both sides of our home, correcting a few errors by a previous contractor in the process. The crew were very skilled at their job. I would recommend Chew Bittle to anyone needing any service that they supply.

Category roofing, siding, replacement windows

Work Completed On 06/23/2014

04/22/2014

Janet C.

Description of Work
Added roof vents that the prior vendor did not. New shutters and gutters as well as capping the fascia and trim on the whole house. Previous jobs were replacement of windows in the whole front of the house and replacement of two doors in the house. Always on time, cleaned up every day if it took more than one day. Quick turn-around for the estimate and scheduling as a soon as possible each time. They may not be the least expensive but if I had chosen them the first time when replacing the roof I would not have had to add roof vents. It would have been done right. Will always recommend them.

Category roofing, siding, replacement windows, doors

Work Completed On 08/08/2013

03/13/2014

Wayne R.

The original quote was for $11,200. The final price was due to add-ons by us during the process. (upgraded doors $$$ and a few other small items that added up. Art and his crew were very considerate and worked with us to include the changes. His crew was very professional and we felt that they provided a great level of contact and showed up when they said they would. The doors we ordered were backordered for 3 weeks and the Chew-Bittel team was very patient in working with us to get the doors installed upon arrival. Overall, we are very pleased with this company and will not hesitate to use them in future renovations.

Description of Work
Total Garage Renovation. Removal of old door's. Installation of New doors. Removal of plaster walls and drywall ceiling. 3" Sprayfoam insulation on shared walls and ceiling. Batt insulation on remaining walls and ceiling space. New electrical including 5 outlets, two 3-way switches. Installed Garage door openers.

Work Completed On 12/18/2013

12/31/2012

Rosemary L.

Owner came to evaluated roof and offered an estimate within one day. Excellent telephone follow-up. Work started on time, on date promised. Dumpster arrived and place on driveway and they did NOT damage the driveway surface as they prepared for the work. Owner was helpful in the selection of color and texture of roofing material and we are satisfied. Have 400 spring bulbs in front yard and was concerned that they would be tramped on and damaged. Company covered the garden and house in such a way that all roofing fell away from garden. Perfect! Work was complete in one day with a large crew of 10 men who worked quietly, no blaring radios etc. Owner came by during the work, and was on-sight much of the time to observe effort. .We are very happy with the finished effort and the attention that the owner and crew had in doing the work right and leaving the house and yard as they had found it upon arrival

Description of Work
Removed two levels of roofing plus 80 large pieces of plywood. Removed porch pillars (wood) and replaced with hard plastic columns. Pressure washed the entire house removing mold that had accumulated on siding.

Category roofing, siding, pressure washing

Work Completed On 04/15/2012