APM Masonry & Construction

Founded 2005 • With Angi since May 2012

3.9

526 West Oak Lane

Glenolden, PA 19036

APM Masonry-Concrete -Home Remodeling is a family owned and operated business since 2009. Customers are a priority to us now and always. Without dedication and hard work you have no foundation. We are grateful for every customer. Thank you!!...

07/26/2017

Kimberly W.

Unbelievable. After Craig did wonderful work on my own house several years ago, I later got my real estate license and recommended his company to a client looking to patch up an investment property. His guys ended up badly damaging the sewer pipe to the house, did a poor job overall, and absolutely refuse to fix what's wrong at this point. I never thought I would have to say such a thing about Craig, but this is unbelievably shady. I would never recommend this company again - and I've referred other business to them over the years - and you should keep your distance as well.

Description of Work
Patching old leaks in upstairs bedroom ceilings and parging 50' of basement walls

Category drywall, masonry

04/11/2016

Alison S.

Horrible. Those stories we all hear about bad contractors ... APM is that. From the lies they told to get more money out of me to the blatant slacking off while on the job, APM proved who they were. At one point the owner, Craig, said our bricks were rotten and we needed foundation work. He brought in a guy he knew and that guy tried to charge me $20,000!!! I said that wasn't happening and I brought in a structural engineer- Daniel Banks- who told me that I absolutely didn't have bad foundation, and he went out of his way after the fact to warn me that my GC was trying to rip me off. The worst part of this was that APM's point person on site was busy telling me that Craig was lying to me. Halfway through the job, I fired them. They didn't honor their contract even a little bit, being hired to remove walls and install a support beam- they did some demo and instead put up insulation and drywall. Once I fired them, Craig angrily all-caps texted me for about a day. Really unprofessional. My advice: STAY AWAY!!!

Description of Work
Demo and drywall, insulation. All very poorly.

Category drywall, masonry, remodeling, water damage restoration

[Member Name Removed] you are a liar and if I feel something is unsafe it is my responsibility to my team to pull away from a job when we were waiting for your inspector to come evaluate the project we were doing work upstairs insulating and sheet rocking your second floor which I paid for all the material and you screwed me Christmas eve and did not even pay me for your material you're a class act post all the bad reviews you want your garbage

12/10/2015

Susan K.

Company subcontracted our job. The job was not done properly -- the wall did not match other existing walls nearby. The flagstone cap on the wall looks very sloppy. APM keeps putting us off when we try to get this issue resolved. With the cold weather upon us; the wall cannot be fixed now.

Description of Work
We had stucco work done on a wall on our property and had the wall capped with flagstone.

Category basement waterproofing, stucco, hardscaping

APM did not subcontract any work...I referred you to someone who does Dryvit!......that's all you have no contract with my signature on it

10/27/2015

Kate F.

This has been a nightmare and 4 months later we still have no stairs. The initial job was performed and had many serious flaws. The retaining wall was built too short (below ground level), it was not originally waterproofed as was in the contract. The stairs were not even, or level, and there were gaps between the stairs and the house as well as the stairs and the wall. We tried repeatedly to ask Craig to come out and look and he was very dismissive of us. Eventually (after dozens of calls and no shows) Artie came out and told us that the stairs would need to be removed and replaced, and that the wall was never waterproofed. In late September the faulty stairs were removed, and framing was installed for new stairs but they STILL have not come back to complete the job. We call constantly, they never answer our calls. Occasionally they return our calls and have various excuses (related to the weather, other projects, Armondo was supposed to call us, etc). Finally we were told that they would be out Oct 20th. They did not show up, nor did they call. We called Craig, Artie and the main office MANY times, and finally today (Oct 27) our call was returned. Again Craig was surprised that no one was out, no one called us, etc. He has us rescheduled us for Nov 5. I'm not holding my breath. If they do show up to complete the project I will update this review. Regardless of the outcome, 4 months is far too long to wait for a project that was expected to take 3 days. WORST CONTRACTOR I'VE EVER ENCOUNTERED.

Description of Work
We contracted APM to replace a retaining wall adjacent to exterior stairs leading to an entrance on the lower level of our home. The project began in June 22, 2015 and quickly snowballed into recommendations for additional work, which we felt we had no other choice but to trust in the recommendations. They proceeded to remove and replace both the stairs and a roof over their stairs /wall in addition to the wall.

Category hardscaping, stamped concrete

The work was done to your specifications ...I tried to come out to your on a few occasions and our schedules conflicted and APM also did 800 dollars worth of stone pointing for free ... You just can't make everyone happy ...

12/18/2014

Stephen K.

Description of Work
Installed a new top on an existing driveway and added color coordinated 6 x 9 pavers along the side. Finished job had some slight bumps that I think could have been corrected at the installation time if a little more time spent rolling out the surface in a multi directional manner.

Category ceramic tile, concrete repair, concrete driveways, flooring contractor, plumbing, basement waterproofing, hardscaping, stamped concrete

Not a customer of APM!

10/03/2014

Mike B.

The contractor (APM) attempted to essentially?double the price of the job when they showed up to perform the work. This is after we had a signed agreement and approved scope addendum, which fully clarified all of the work required to perform this FIXED PRICE CONTRACT. NOTHING changed on the chimney between when they provided the quote and today, when the came to start the work. A complete disconnect between Craig Phillips (owner / estimator) and Artie Martin (co-owner / job foreman). Craig estimated one price when he quoted the job and several weeks later, on the day they show up to perform the work, Artie had a different price. This is after Artie was on the roof for 1 minute. Both men were requested at the job site for a face-to-face discussion with the customer in order to attempt to work out the problem. Since the customer was unwilling to approve the large change order the contractor left the site. Very, very bad business practice to not honor your obligations. Do not use this contractor! A claim was filed and accepted by the Better Business Bureau against APM Masonry & Construction (BBB # 100236) for this work.

Description of Work
Scope of the job: 1. The brick chimney will have all the mortar joints grinded out from the porch roofline to the top of the chimney to remove the old washed out mortar. Any bricks that become loose due to the grind out process will be reset to their original dimensions. 2. The top design of the chimney (approximately 4 course of bricks) will be removed and rebuilt as needed to their original dimensions using the existing bricks. 3. The chimney will be cleaned to remove any of the dirt and dust from the bricks and joints before new mortar is applied. 4. The chimney will have all the grind out joints pointed to seal out any water penetration. 5. The top of the chimney will have a new crown poured to seal the top from any weather infiltration. Approximate cost of service of $1600.00.

Category concrete repair, masonry, remodeling, chimney caps, chimney repair

08/25/2014

Angela P.

Sold my house but the township required two cement sidewalk blocks to be replaced due to heaving at the edges. Spoke with Craig Phillips, owner of APM Masonry to request quote (very nice) and confirm he had done work in the township before and was aware of their requirements for replacement. I contracted with APM Masonry at the end of June after seeing their "A" rating on Angie's List. They also came in with the lowest bid. Settlement was planned for 8/12/14. I spoke with Lori on several occasions (also very nice) to determine when the work would be completed as settlement was contingent upon the work being done. I was told they were very busy and would fit me in when they were doing work in the area. Work originally scheduled for sometime the week of 7/14, probably toward the end of the week on Thursday. Got home from work on 7/10 and the blocks were dug up. I thought this was a good sign since getting it dug up sooner meant getting done sooner, right? On 7/11, I rec'd a call from Lori that the township required a signed proposal from me before issuing the permit. Shouldn't the permit have been issued before they started the work? I immediately emailed the signed proposal to Lori. On 7/20, I contacted Lori again to determine schedule. I was told that rain had pushed them back and they would probably be out the next week. On 7/22, I decided to call the township to ensure all was right with the permit. They had no record of a permit being issued to APM Masonry for my address. Township clerk told me she had never heard to them. At this point there were a lot of phone calls back and forth to Craig and the township. I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere with either of them. On 7/24, I rec'd a call from Craig stating the job was done. I asked him if both the pre pour and post pour inspections had been completed. I was told yes and he wanted to pick up the check that evening. I agreed. Then decided to call the township back. They informed me that the post pour inspection had not been done. I called Craig back and refused payment until my realtor rec'd the certificate of occupancy. At this point I wanted to ensure all was ok. On 7/25, I rec'd the permit from the township in the mail. It was dated 7/24 and the contractor was listed as Sal's Concrete. On 7/31, the certificate of occupancy was issued. I called Craig to see when he was going to come to remove the forms, cones and pick up his check. He told me that should have already been done. I questioned the subcontracting to Sal's Concrete. He told me he didn't subcontract but this was someone he used when he got busy. He told me he would call/come by on 8/2. No call - no show. I pulled the forms out myself on 8/3 and filled the gaps with soil. I left a message for him later that week stating that the cones and forms needed to be removed from the property before settlement. Mailed his payment on 8/11 before I moved. Making settlement is a tense time for anyone. This experience just made matters worse. Cannot recommend this contractor based on my experience.

Description of Work
Replaced two concrete sidewalk blocks.

07/06/2014

Laurence C.

Contract not awarded, written estimate amounted to step one remove old steps and railing. Step 2 pour new steps. Price quoted was for $2200.00. Not exactly what I would call a detailed estimate.

Description of Work
Man arrived on schedule, friendly and personable. Looked over the job and asked a few questions. Wrote an estimate and handed it to be before departing. Job was to remove old steps in front of house and replace them. One of the questions was about my hand rail that would be removed and would I want another one, I said I would and he proceeded to inform me then don't replace the railing but he could put me in contact with someone who was reasonable and it would cost approx. $600.00 for the new railing.

Category concrete repair, basement waterproofing

A price from a contractor can always be negotiated ...you never reached out to me to discuss price

04/13/2014

Brad B.

Went great, Craig is a gentle giant, very professional. Homeowners loved him.

Description of Work
Craig and his crew poured several concrete slabs for standby generators.

Category concrete repair, basement waterproofing

[Member Name Removed], thank you for giving APM Masonry the opportunity to work for you!

02/26/2014

Jennifer L.

Our experience with Craig was four stars all the way. We bought our house in July and have had many unexpected and overwhelming surprises, including water in the basement. Craig was sympathetic. and worked hard to make our home owning nightmare less stressful. He even rearranged his schedule in order to get the work done before the expected snow. Craig took pride in completing the project on time and on budget. He kept us informed all the way. His guys were courteous, friendly, thorough and knowledgeable (it’s not always easy to find people who really know what they’re doing!). It snowed today and our house stayed dry. We will definitely use Craig and his crew again in the future!

Description of Work
Installed 29' of pressure relief system in front wall of basement. Installed new catch basin, sub pump, & discharge pipe. Excavated 24' of ground on front side of home. Waterproofed from exterior. Installed additional vapor barrier. Graded front of home away from property.

Category concrete repair, excavators, plumbing, basement waterproofing, wells, drain pipe, foundation repair

01/30/2014

JAMES M.

The plumber came on time very courteous and professional in handling my problem. Went over everything with me in layman's terms. The price for my basement was more than reasonable, no complaints.

Description of Work
Enlarge sub pump area, lay pipes in ground for French drain, put pipes around whole area of basement, also ran line for sub pump away from house. Cleaned up after work was completed.

Category plumbing, basement waterproofing, wells, drain pipe, mold removal

01/13/2014

Stephen M.

It was excellent. The gentleman came out the same day I called for an estimate. They were very thorough on the written estimate. The explained in detail how they would do the job and gave me the length of time for the job- 4 days. The quality of work is excellent. The materials they used on the walls were excellent, they finished it by waterproofing the walls. I had 4-5 estimates from other people, their price was comparative or better than the other estimates I received. Because of their attention to detail and competitive pricing is the reason I went with them.

Description of Work
They refinished my basement walls - parging. I also hired them to replace my basement steps.

Category drywall, remodeling, basement waterproofing, basement remodeling

lloyd O.

The job went better than expected. Craig was fantastic in explaining everything to my wife and I. We were very impressed with the outcome of the job. Our kitchen looks fantastic!

Description of Work
Remodeled my kitchen.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

lloyd O.

Everything went great. Craig was very professional...He walked my wife and I through the whole process! Craig also took took time to take us shopping for bathroom sink, shower heads, cabinets, floor tile. I plan on hiring APM Masonry & Construction to do other projects in my home. YOU couldn't ask for more polite, well spoken, hard working guys.

Description of Work
Installed complete new bathroom.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

lloyd O.

The job went well and on time. APM Masonry and Construction were on time and followed through with everything they said they would do from start to finish.

Description of Work
Remodeled my bedroom.

Category remodeling

lloyd O.

THE JOB WAS DONE PERFECTLY AND ON TIME...GREAT GUYS...look forward to having them back soon.

Description of Work
RECONSTRUCTED MY MIDDLE BEDROOM AND INSTALLED 2 WINDOWS.

Category remodeling, replacement windows

11/09/2013

Craig W.

Everything went well. We are very happy with the work that was performed. They called the day before they were supposed to do the work and since it was supposed to rain on Friday they asked if they could do the work on Saturday. They ended up doing the work on Sunday morning and they arrived at 9:00am, which was the time we agreed on. I gave them a 4 instead of a 5 on punctuality only because they said they would be here on Saturday morning and changed it during that day to the following day. They did arrive on time Sunday morning and got right to work. They built the chimney from the roofline up, matched our old bricks with the same but new ones, put a new cement crown on top and a new chimney cap. It looks great and they showed us before and after pictures which we liked because it is hard to really see the work way up there. Today I went into the back yard on the hill and looked at the chimney and it really does look great! Also they fixed some cement cracks in the pointing around the stone at our front window. They did not charge for this since they were repairing the chimney and wrote it on the estimate so they wouldn't forget. It was very nice of them! They were very professional and cleaned up everything! Thank you very much for an excellent job!

Description of Work
Rebuilt our chimney from the roof up to the top and new chimney cap. Also filled some cracks in the cement pointing around our front window.

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

10/24/2013

Stephen M.

I had a number of companies come out for an estimate and not all companies will do that type of work. I was impressed with how A.P.M. MASONRY & Construction came out and explained what they would do. They had the lowest price and I just felt comfortable with them. They came out and gave me an estimate and seemed very capable and knowledgeable on what I wanted. They took the time to explain things to me. They are coming Monday to do the work. They have been really good about telling me about the procedure and any prep I need to do.

Description of Work
They will be refinishing my basement walls because the house is over 60 years old. They will be parging, which is like stucco you plaster over the walls. They are also going to make it waterproof.

Category drywall, basement waterproofing, stucco

09/24/2013

Bob H.

APM was prompt, friendly and did a comprehensive and great job! Everything came out better than expected! Cannot say enough about how happy we are! We would hire them without hesitation.

Description of Work
Re-did entire chimney and power washed entire home.

Category masonry, chimney caps, pressure washing

09/23/2013

Theresa C.

Craig & crew were on time, prepared and completed work in a timely manner at a good price. They were also, neat and pleasant.

Description of Work
Painting, water proofing, mold removal, replacing a bathroom floor and removal of debris.

Category flooring contractor, basement waterproofing, interior painters, mold removal

11/12/2012

Kimberly W.

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my experience with Four Seasons; they gave me an amazing quote on the mold remediation work I needed to have done, and were friendly, honest, and wonderful about everything from start to finish. Their work was impeccable, incredibly neat, and well worth every dime spent. I definitely got more than my money's worth with these guys, and wouldn't hesitate to hire them again (or recommend them to others) in a heartbeat! .Also, Craig from Four Seasons recommended a top-notch electrician to handle some work that needed to be done on my house as well. As above, the work was impeccable, perfect, and wonderfully priced. I'll write another review for this gentleman (Steve,) once he gets his new business venture set up!

Description of Work
Removed moldy drywall and treated the underlying structural work.

Category mold removal