Jack L Woods Plumbing Co Inc

Founded 1977 • With Angi since August 1995

Approx 20 employees. No subs. Charges by the hour. Travel charges may apply. No service fee. Extra charge for after-hours service. May contact via phone or email. Award winning.

plumbers (2604)water heaters (332)drain cleaning (202)well & water pump repair (97)appliance repair (29)home remodeling (28)water softeners (15)small appliance repair (12)irrigation system (11)gas fireplace repair (3)grill repair (3)generator service (1)

11/23/2022

Nancy V.

He said there's no leak and I had somebody to fix it. He is just telling me that the reason is coming from the garbage disposal and he did not even check.

Description of Work
Leak in the basement

Work Completed On 08/23/2022

Our service call was back in March, which may explain why the customer doesn’t remember it well. We keep written records of all service calls. Based on the location of the leaking water in the basement, as reported by the customer, our technician Casey ran water through all the connected plumbing fixtures and could not recreate a leak. Based on years of experience, Casey suspected the walk-in tub as the source. Some things cannot be tested without true usage, so he asked the customer to check for water escaping the tub seal shortly after taking a shower, and then let us know. He never told the customer that there was "no leak,” nor that the garbage disposal was the cause (to claim he said both is a contradictory assertion). We never heard back from the customer after that service call.

10/12/2022

Todd B.

The tech showed up, looked at the unit for about 15 minutes, talked on the phone for another 10 minutes, then said he would have to order a part that would cost 95 dollars. The designer of the tank advised not to put more than 95 dollars into the tank, because after 7 years it was worthless. I call Jack Woods the next day and cancelled the ordering of the part. NO WORK was done at my house that day, but I received a bill for $228.00 which included "travel time" from the techs last job to my house. When I called Jack Plumbing and asked why I was charged 228.00 when NO WORK was done, they said " the Tech replaced 5.00 part. I told them I didn't think I should pay for something that was never done, the manager at the shop said he would send it to collections, then apologized and said he would NOT send the bill to collections. Two months later I received a bill from collections. So not only do they do horrible work, but they also charge you travel time AND will lie to you about the charges. I'M NOT PAYING IT DO NOT USE Jack Woods Plumbing

Description of Work
Jack Woods installed a tankless water heater about 7 years ago, the water temp started to change from warm to cold during showering. I called them to service the unit

Work Completed On 03/24/2022

The premise of this review, that "no work" was done, is patently false, even if you accept everything else at face value (and you shouldn't). The customer asked for a service call because his Rinnai tankless water heater was not functioning correctly. We sent Tim, our tech most experienced with Rinnai. The problem was not apparent, and Tim proceeded to troubleshoot, as was his job. This included a 40-minute phone call with Rinnai technical service. The conclusion of the troubleshooting process was the need to replace the bypass value. Tim ordered the part from our Rinnai supplier. He also replaced the tankless water filter. Tim spent more than 1-1/2 hours working for this customer--not 25 minutes as claimed by [Member Name Removed] . Typical of most plumbers, we use a time-and-materials pricing model. Our service is the time our technicians spend on behalf of customers troubleshooting and fixing their plumbing issues, which may or may not include replacing parts and installing new fixtures or equipment. The time is priced based on hourly billing rates. One-way travel time is also included in the time fee, a common practice in plumbing, and many other service businesses involving travel to customer locations. Finally, we charge mark-up on parts and equipment we buy for customers; again, a common practice in nearly every service industry. Customers are free to discontinue our service before it's completed--perhaps to complete it themselves, after we've shown them what needs to be done. But they still need to pay for the services we've already performed.

08/05/2022

Lynne H.

They did a very good job and we would hire them again. We would recommend them as well.

Description of Work
They do plumbing work for us including changing out the faucets.

Work Completed On 07/06/2022

12/22/2021

DICK S.

Jack Woods plumbing is the most honest (no price gouging) plumbing company in the area. Three other highly rated companies quoted me prices ranging from $300-$400 dollars with a senior discount. Jack Woods charged $121 for the same work. I would recommend calling them before letting anyone else do your work. They are honest and resonably priced.

Description of Work
sink stopper repair and toilet repair

Work Completed On 12/22/2021

10/24/2021

DOROTHY R.

Great! The plumber who came to our house had 40+ years of experience. He knew exactly how to address our plumbing problems and even educated me on how to easily and simply test for toilet seal leaks and how to keep the kitchen drains and garbage disposal in better condition. I really appreciated that! He worked extra hard at unsticking the garbage disposal blades to save us the cost of purchasing a new one when ours was still in good condition. I felt he treated our house and our plumbing problems with as much care and thought as he would his own. But that's typical of the experience I've had with this company through about 15 years of using their services. They are exceptional!

Description of Work
Repairs to kitchen sink drains, check for leak at toilet

Work Completed On 10/20/2021

08/26/2021

David R.

I showed the plumber exactly where the leaking drain was above our kitchen stove, inside the stove exhaust hood. His comment was “I can’t work under there”. He then proceeded to cut large holes in our kitchen ceiling to supposedly find the source of the leak. After determining there was neither leak nor drain pipe there, he cut another section where I had originally indicated. He then determines that it can be fixed “under there” but will take “two guys”. He left. I then called Jack Woods and talked to Rex. I told Rex what had transpired and asked who was going to pay for fixing and painting our damaged ceiling. I told Rex that I expected them to cover that cost, within a few days I received an “estimate” for the cost of two plumbers to fix the leaking drain in the amount of $1067! I got another plumber’s estimate and got the drain fixed with “one guy” for less than $300. Now to add insult to injury, Jack Woods sent ME a bill for $94.00 for the original visit that destroyed my kitchen ceiling. My intention is to send Jack Woods a bill for cost to repair and painting of my ceiling. Rex was at least professional on the phone, the plumber they sent out was nothing short of arrogant.

Description of Work
Fix leaking 2nd floor tub drain

Category appliance repair

Work Completed On 07/28/2021

Review for Jack L Woods Plumbing Co Inc - 130 E Home St, Westerville, OH - 39454154

Our technician made a mistake in cutting the first hole where he did. We told the customer we'd work with him to repair the ceiling, and we stand by that. The $300 price cited is clearly not for the same scope of work we recommended. Our estimate was for replacing rust and corrosion throughout the whole branch of plumbing, including material costs--a long-term, preventative solution, which may be viewed as cost effective, when you have to cut through a ceiling anyway.

08/09/2021

LINDA R.

Perfect, Avesta explained everything and his work is beautiful. He even then saw the water was coming out slow from kitchen spigot and he fixed that! Wonderful experience. Thanks

Description of Work
fix leak in line from sink down to basement, etc

Work Completed On 09/10/2021

07/07/2021

Dan O.

First available appointment was 1 week out. On the day of the appointment, we got a call near the end of our appointment window (12-6) asking if we'd like to reschedule. After we said "no", they apparently subbed the work out to Eco Plumbers, who showed up that night and wanted up to $500 to do the work. I have a "For Sale" sign in my lawn -- did they suspect I was desperate? I got a different plumber in the next morning to do the job for much less money.

Description of Work
Replace a cartridge for shower faucet

Category

Work Completed On 07/06/2021

We have been searching for a work order for anything under your name (we do not have an address from Angi) and have found nothing. It is confusing because we never set a window of 12-6 (the latest window we ever have is 12-4 unless the job is scheduled for emergency service after hours), and never sub out work to anyone. We have found no evidence of ever having set up a service call for you. Could you provide additional details such as address, phone, and date of requested service? We would appreciate your help to follow up on this. Thanks.

06/08/2021

Mengyuan Z.

We found Jack L Woods first in the Angie's list, and then used them twice in the past year. They were very responsive, came to fix plumbing issues in a timely manner, and did high quality jobs.

Description of Work
fix a basement floor drain and fix a leaking bathtub

Work Completed On 04/01/2021

01/14/2021

Nancy B.

It was excellent! They were efficient, and cleaned up after themselves. The repair was done correctly, and I haven't had any issues since then.

Description of Work
They replaced a leaky toilet.

Work Completed On 01/08/2021

12/24/2020

Steven K.

Contacted them for a quote. Guy came out, took a few pictures and a video with his phone. Said I would hear from them in a few days with quote. A week later, had heard nothing so called to inquire. Person said she'd check into it and someone would call me back. That was 10 days ago. Never heard from them again.

Description of Work
Replace a gas tankless water heater

Category water heater repair

Work Completed On 12/24/2020

We failed to follow through, as noted. Not an excuse, but the job had complexities we needed to research, then a vacation and incomplete internal communication by one of our people led to the break down. We've since reconnected with the customer and apologized.

11/06/2020

Philip H.

Jack Woods plumbing does not do this type of work.

Description of Work
Need to have water line from well to house moved.

Category air duct cleaning, wells

Work Completed On 11/06/2020

11/05/2020

Thurman P.

I was ripped off with the price. I was charged for 31/2 hours that was 94.00 per hour. I was not advised that there are items that they will add it to my service. I found out that the parts was only $51.00.

Description of Work
It was good.

Cost $341.1

Work Completed On 10/26/2020

10/29/2020

Karen M.

Friendly, Prompt, efficient. Good work. A little higher in cost.

Description of Work
Toliet leaking down through wall to 1st story, cut out dry wall, replaced pipe, & tightened up kitchen faucet handle.

Work Completed On 10/29/2020

10/28/2020

Nancy R.

We had a great experience with the company. Barry came out today and immediately found the problems we have had with pipe issues and running water. Another company told us we had "air" in our pipes. This was definitely not the issue. He was able to quickly locate and fix a few problems we had. He was very personable and even played with our dog. When we called we were told it would be about ten days so made the appointment since it wasn't an urgent issue. They called a few times to see if we were available because they had a cancellation and could get us in. They office called to let us know the window of time to expect them and then called back to let us know he was on his way. We are very pleased with the service we received and will use them again if we need to.

Description of Work
Water running, toilet repair, sink repair, water pipes

Work Completed On 10/23/2020

10/16/2020

Sally P.

Horribly. I left a rating on Jack Woods site. I will NEVER use them again after my last experience which is sad because I had been a customer for over 20 years.

Description of Work
Plumbing - install new kitchen faucett.

Work Completed On 06/03/2020

10/16/2020

Sally P.

Contested Invoice from Jack L. Woods Plumbing, Company, Inc. By Sally Phillips on October 12, 2020 Synopsis of Incident At the beginning of October 2020, my kitchen faucet handle broke. I purchased a new kitchen faucet from Home Depot and decided to call my usual plumbing company (Jack Woods Plumbing) to remove the old faucet and install the new one. Let me just say that I have used Jack Woods Plumbing the entire time I have lived in my home (since circa August 2001) and had always been satisfied with their performance and pricing, that is, until this past Monday, October 12, 2020. The experience I had with the plumber that Jack Woods’ sent out was so horrible that I not only refuse to pay the exorbitant bill this technician left, but have also decided to change plumbing companies immediately. This “bad apple” was so rotten that his company has lost a loyal customer for good. According to the invoice, the plumber’s name is Tim. When Tim arrived at my home at approximately 3:00 p.m., I showed him to the kitchen sink and explained that I just needed for him to remove the old faucet and install the new one I had purchased. My expectation at this time is that Tim would be in and out in under 30 minutes since a faucet installation is an easy job and there was nothing else wrong. I then went out on my back patio with my daughter and our dogs and left my screen door open so that I could hear Tim if he needed anything. After a short time, I heard Tim screaming. I got up and rushed inside to see what the problem was (my daughter followed me). The ensuing sight was quite shocking. Water was spraying everywhere, flooding my kitchen, and Tim was yelling at us to “GO SHUT THE WATER OFF!!!!”. As I ran downstairs (all the while, Tim continued his caterwauling), I realized I did not remember where the main water valve was located and I yelled up to Tim that I did not remember. He rushed downstairs and got the water shut-off. To this moment, I have no earthly idea why Tim did not just shut off the supply located underneath the kitchen sink before he began the project. Once he came back into the kitchen, Tim informed me that he had broken the kitchen water line. Feeling frustrated by the sight of the water covering my kitchen floor, my daughter and I went back outside to wait on the back patio. After some time had passed, Tim came to the screen door and asked if I would come in and wait by the main water valve in the basement so that he could test his work. Once Tim and I descended to the basement and were standing in front of the main water valve, Tim turned and said to me, “I can’t believe you didn’t help me clean up the water.” Stunned, I replied, “Do you honestly expect me to clean up the mess that you made?!!” Tim responded, “Well, I would of thought that you would have helped to keep my time down so it wasn’t so expensive.” I then told him that I would have thought that he would have turned off the water before attempting to replace the faucet…to which he replied, “Oh no, you never turn the water off. I’ve been a plumber for 37 years….” I then told him that I thought he would also have had better manners than to come into a customer’s home and after breaking their water line and flooding their kitchen, proceed to scream at them to “TURN THE WATER OFF”. He continued to excuse his behavior by saying that he hadn’t “yelled” at us, he was just panicking. Furthermore, he blamed the line breaking on the fact that I have plastic pipes. Right before Tim left, he handed me an invoice for $218.75 (see attached). What’s more, I discovered standing water in my washroom (it sits right off the kitchen) and my pantry. The sitting water soaked a couple of loads of clothes I had in piles on the floor waiting to be washed and ruined a pair of suede shoes I had on the floor. Furthermore, the water was still shut off after he left which shows that he did not even test his work. Moreover, when I looked at the invoice, Tim misrepresented the amount of time he was on this job (he arrived at 3 pm and was gone by 4:25 pm); but more importantly, I should not be charged for his incompetence. In my opinion, you should be pay me for the time I had to put into cleaning up Tim’s mess, the shoes that were ruined, and putting up with your employee’s rude, insolent attitude.

Description of Work
Kitchen Faucet Replacement

Work Completed On 10/12/2020

We’re sorry that Ms. [Member Name Removed] had such a bad experience, and for this reason we did not charge her for installing the faucet. (Waiving charges is a management decision; the plumber on-site is required to leave a bill). Fortunately, no damage was done, because action was quickly taken once the pipe burst. This is why our plumber yelled “for” the water to be turned off (not “at” Ms. [Member Name Removed]). The CPVC pipe burst because it had become very brittle. It’s rare, but sometimes these things happen. It is not standard practice to shut off the main to install a faucet, as long as the stops under the sink are functional.

10/15/2020

randy P.

This plumber doesn't service our zipcode.

Description of Work
Replace leaking pipe in basement.

Work Completed On 09/29/2020

08/19/2020

Charles E.

Exceptionally well. The plumber arrived on time, completed the work very efficiently and was a pleasure to have in the home. Would definitely call Jack L. Woods for any future plumbing needs.

Description of Work
replace a kitchen faucet

Work Completed On 08/19/2020

08/12/2020

Robert R.

Just fine- problem resolved at a fair price

Description of Work
Water heater repair

Category plumbing, water heater repair, air duct cleaning

Work Completed On 07/28/2020

07/24/2020

PAUL & ELLEN MARIE S.

They were very efficient and they do good work. I tried a number of different plumbers, and they are the only one I used twice recently.

Description of Work
Replaced outside faucets for hoses.

Work Completed On 07/01/2020

07/21/2020

justin M.

I have used Jack Woods quite a bit over the years. Easy to schedule, good pricing and always quality work. Had a hot water tank replaced, shower fixed and toilet repair done on 7/9, went very well. Would recommend

Description of Work
water heater replacement, shower repair, toilet repair

Category water heater repair, air duct cleaning