Animal Hospital Of Shawnee Hills

Founded 2012 • With Angi since May 2013

9540 Dublin Rd.

Powell, OH 43065

Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hills is here to serve you and your pets in a warm and friendly atmosphere, with the love and attention your pets deserve. We are team of seasoned experts providing veterinary wellness, medical and surgical care as well as therapy laser and End-of-Life services. Should you need to go away for a weekend, our temperature-regulated suites will provide the necessary comfort for boarding dogs, cats, hospitalized patients and special needs medical boarding. In addition to our veterinary services, we also have experienced groomers on our team to help your pet look and feel his/her very best! Our hospital is accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) and has achieved the highest recognition in accordance to our hospital’s practice protocols, medical equipment, facility and client service. Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hills is also recognized as a Cat Friendly Practice by the American Association of Feline Practitioners. At AHSH, we strive to provide exceptional patient care and client service with open lines of communication and fee transparency so that you and our veterinarians can work together to provide the best possible care for your pet(s). Stop by to meet our veterinarians! Dr. Dawn Bookmyer, Dr. Cecelia Edwards, and Dr. Melissa DeLauter personalized vet care for your pet(s)!...

08/28/2020

Sherrie W.

Dr, Paige takes care of my 3 dogs. They love her and so do I! Entire staff is welcoming and very nice. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Vaccinations, spay, heartworm tests, etc.

10/12/2019

Kathy S.

I never have to worry about my dogs when they are at the Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hills. I have referred numerous friends to AHSH and my friends are always so thankful that I told them about AHSH. I have been going there for about 6 years and I will never go anywhere else. They are always courteous and caring and my dogs love the entire staff.

Description of Work
I have 3 senior dogs. They need medical services quite often.

Category veterinarian, pet grooming

Jakob C.

Our experience was really good overall. When coming into the office, after we checked in the staff took us to the "Cat Room", a reserved room for cat owners so they will not get anxious. Our cat was able to roam the room freely without worrying about other animals. Both the tech and the vet were extremely nice and helpful, they were attentive to our cat and my questions. I would gladly recommend this vet office to other pet owners.

Description of Work
Our cat needed their first vet visit.

CHADIA Y.

It was a great experience. I was super nervous about leaving my dog and him going under anesthesia. But, the Veterinarians and Technicians are great and took the time to explain what is happening, what's going to happen and what to expect after the procedure and helped put my mind at ease. The entire staff is so friendly and caring at Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hills - they treat you and your pet like family! I drive an hour and half to see the Doctors and staff! I would 100% recommend AHSH for all of your pet's care.

Description of Work
My dog needed a dental

Kitty A.

Dr. Edwards and the awesome team at the Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hills provide world-class excellent veterinary care of my beloved Labs and have for many years. From puppy care through surgeries and cancer treatments for my beloved Boone, Dr. Edwards and the team deliver loving care with professional expertise every time. They are like family to us and our dogs are like family to them. I highly recommend the Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hills for your pets!

Description of Work
Excellent care of my Labs!

08/21/2019

Kim B.

Sharing an unbelievable and devastating experience in hopes this will not happen to you! Chose Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hills because of vet and staff competency, location and after-hours availability - someone on call until 10 pm. Initial care, which was preventative in nature was great, built my confidence in the practice. After seven months of care, I scheduled my 19-month old puppy for a simple neuter, was cleared for surgery on two occasions over the course of two-months. At the last appointment where he was cleared for surgery, I was told by Dr. Paige Meleney that he would have his "coin sacks" intact after neuter, which I was good with, after all, he was not a show dog, but a member of our family. Dr. Paige Meleney also suggested removal of small piece of tissue (external) on his nose to aid in breathing, I agreed as she said it was simple. Day of surgery, drop him off @ 7:30 am, told I would receive call after surgery completed. I called @ 1pm to check-in and talked to Dr. Paige Meleney who said went well, he was awake, still intubated, would remove "breathing tube" in next hour and doing well. I confirmed pick-up at 4pm. When I arrive, Dr. Paige Meleney meets me in the lobby and advised that he was neutered, she also performed scrotal ablation (did not discuss with me, so no consent provided), removed from his palate a nickle size piece of tissue because of an elongated soft palate (here again, did not discuss with me, so no consent) and stenotic snare tissues. I was astonished that she performed four procedures, here again, two were never discussed, so no consent and resulted in more anesthetic and OR time for an English bulldog puppy which we had discussed with her was already a high risk surgery due to potential reactions to anesthesia. The puppy I took to the Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hills was not the puppy I brought home, but I brought home a mutilated family member who ended up dying 26-hours after Dr. Paige Meleney decided she could perform procedures that she did not discuss or receive consent from me. Note: I did take our puppy in the next morning, as his right leg was swollen with heat and he was lethargic, unable to eat, drink, or move on his own. She said what our puppy was experiencing was normal and due to IV and fluid build-up, and he would be a little sore. We also brought up that he was unable to take any of his medication and we had attempted to dissolve his meds and give to him through a syringe, but had been unsuccessful. She told us to keep trying and that it was important for him to get his meds, but as we had told her, he wasn't able to take them because of his unconsented palate removal, neuter, scrotal ablation, and stenotic snare procedures. I called six-hours later as with every breath, he had white foamy discharge coming from his nostrils, here again, was told this is normal due to oxygenation during surgery, even received a text message stating the same. Within 1-hour of my call to Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hill and subsequent text from Dr. Paige Meleney , our puppy died in our hands. We rushed him to the Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hill, my daughter doing chest compressions all the way - they couldn't save him. I was told by Drs. Paige Meleney and Dawn Bookmyer, owner that he most likely died due to an undiagnosed heart condition or arrhythmia, and they recommended an autopsy, which I declined, they had already cut on him enough and remember - Dr. Paige Meleney had cleared him twice for surgery and in one report states "no heart defects, ready for neuter." In addition, he had been seen three months earlier at another emergency hospital due to ingesting part of a tennis ball - EKG and x-rays were performed and no heart defect detected!

Description of Work
Neuter of 19 month old English Bulldog

Category veterinarian

Thank you for your feedback, [Member Name Removed]. Please contact our office at your earliest convenience to discuss 614.389.6455.

06/05/2017

Karen M.

They did not seem to be concerned with the stress level of my cat who was visibly shaking. I had to suggest putting her in her cat carriage when vets were just doing follow-up conversations.

Description of Work
checkup for cat

Barbara M.

They groomer does exactly what we ask and our dog looks professionally done.

Description of Work
I took my pet to be groomed.

Barbara M.

The groomer does exactly what we ask, and the dog looks professionally groomed every time. We drop her off at 9 and pick her up at 2, so about 5 hours is how long it takes.

Description of Work
Grooming.

Barbara M.

They relate to the pet as if it was their own. They are very professional and very excellent quality of work.

Barbara M.

Very professional. She treated our pet like it was her own.

Description of Work
My pet had her teeth cleaned.

10/17/2016

Rebecca W.

My dog is down to one last treatment and is doing 99% better than the day I received him.

Description of Work
I recently inherited a dog when a family member suddenly passed away. They have been working with me for over a month to get his health in order. He had fleas, mange and heartworm. The doctors, nurses and office staff have made me and my dog feel very welcome.

09/29/2016

Shirley C.

05/12/2016

Joyce D.

12/30/2015

Vincent J.

06/15/2015

STEVE D.

Description of Work
.(740) 881-0641

06/12/2015

James W.

I called many facilities over many months to discuss the rapidly deteriorating health of our two 14.5 year old pugs, looking for the most compassionate practice willing to listen to our concerns about putting our pets to sleep and offer counseling as to when the time was right to stop their suffering. We had used another vet for all our pet care and boarding for almost 14 years, but their practice had become very large and their personnel seemed more interested in profit than the TLC we expected from them. My final call to them regarding the very painful step of euthanasia several months ago convinced me that I would never entrust them to humanely end our dogs' lives. Our experience with the good people at the Animal Clinic of Shawnee was phenomenal, from the time of our first call until today, when we finally reached the point when it was absolutely time to say goodbye to our beloved dogs. I only wish this facility had opened in 2000, when we brought our puppies home, because based on everything we experienced with these folks, they put their "clients" first. If we decide to raise another dog, we will absolutely arrange for all their care at this first-class facility I deeply regret that our first experience with this outstanding practice was the final one for our puppies.

Description of Work
Euthanized our 2 very old and feeble pugs.

Category veterinarian, kennels

05/12/2015

John D.

Our new puppy (we had only had him one week) wouldn't eat and wanted to sleep all the time. We had taken him to another vet and were told that he was fine and that we should make him eat. Unfortunately, a few days later his systems became considerable worse. We contacted Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hills and scheduled an appt. They were able to get us in the same day. Before we could even get in to see the vet, our puppy began to have seizures. I immediately called them again to ask if they could get him in right away. They said the would see him as soon as we could get there. As soon as we arrived, we were kindly greeted and almost immediately put into a room and saw the vet within minutes. They gave me an estimate of all charges before they continued their service (which was very helpful). After doing bloodwork, it was discovered that our puppy was in kidney failure and there was very little they could do. However, the professionalism with which they handled the situation and the care that was shown for our family (my husband, myself, and our five children were all there) was a true blessing. They gave us time to grieve in a side room before asking what we would like to do. I am truly grateful that we found this vet and will be returning in the future with other animals that we have.

Description of Work
Provided emergency care for our new puppy.

02/27/2015

Taylor F.

They were awesome! I was very nervous having my cat's mattes shaved off because a groomer prior had said she was the worst cat he had ever experienced. The vet and groomer here even brought me in the back to show me what a perfect little girl she was being and that I had nothing to worry about. It made me feel so much better to know she was calm and felt comfortable.

Description of Work
Cat check-up, vaccinations, back shaving

Category veterinarian

We are so happy that [member information removed] had a good experience and was comfortable with our staff. Kitties feel amazing after having those mattes shaved out! (I have 3 long hair cats myself!) We are happy to serve you and your pets at any time. Thank you for your kind review, [member name removed]!

12/10/2014

Glenna B.

We're going to go back there again. We like them. We're pleased with the treatment both the way they deal with us and deal with the dog too. I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
We used them for the grooming. At the end it was just a wash.

Category veterinarian

Thank you, [member name removed]! Amanda, our groomer, does an amazing job. We're so pleased that you had a good experience with our staff and grooming department. Please do not hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can improve upon! We look forward to seeing Chloe again.

04/02/2014

Lorinda R.

The staff was friendly and professional. The office is arranged great with plenty of room and was very clean.

Description of Work
Lab yearlyt wellness exam with vaccinations and complimentary nail trim. Year supply of heartworm medicaton and flea/tick medicaton.

02/22/2014

CINDY S.

The staff is very nice and have not had to wait in the waiting room. It's always nice to get there and be taken to a room for the appointment. Dr. and staff are very friendly and helpful.

Description of Work
Dr. Bookmyer has treated both of my Cavapoos for well visits.

11/05/2013

Monica F.

Dr. Haumschild has a quick and intuitive sense of what may be ailing a kitty. She quickly diagnoses illnesses and develops individualized treatment plans. She does not over-treat or run unnecessary/expensive tests. Further, she is not afraid to seek specialized advice and counsel if it is in the kitty's best interests. Dr. Haumschild truly cares about her patients and advocates on their behalf.

Description of Work
dental cleanings, sick visits, and annual wellness examinations for two cats.

10/22/2013

SUSAN W.

I absolutely love all the staff! My cat had a thourough exam and the vet and tech answered all my questions about vaccines and dental procedures. I did not feel rushed at all like some other clinics I have gone to on the past. This is a top notch hospitasl and I am so glad that I switched to them!

Description of Work
Provide a wellness exam for one of my cats

05/17/2013

Kim B.

Animal Hospital of Shawnee HIlls is a new clinic lead by Dr. Dawn Bookmyer. I am very impressed with the level of service provided. Communication is excellent. I feel that I am a valued customer and that our dog is a valued patient. True concern and compassion for his well-being. He was scheduled for an appointment on a Monday, but I was becoming increasingly concerned about his symptoms. The support staff stayed in contact with me and I ended up taking him in for an emergency visit. Dr. Bookmyer met me there on a Sunday. She was so kind and patient. The cost was reasonable. I have returned for routine shots and will be using this vet from now on!

Description of Work
Emergency sick visit for dog; Routine shots