American Chimney & Masonry

Founded 1981 • With Angi since November 2002

3310 Werk Rd

Cincinnati, OH 45211

Masonry estimates are based on degree of difficulty, Gas fireplace and gas log installations of all makes and models, Wood stove installation

07/01/2021

Jolene P.

The gentlemen checked everything and took pictures to show we had a good cap and was no need for a new one. He asked to see fireplace and showed us how to check and close damper and tightened the pull so it would stay closed. Tim was very thorough and informative. We had a problem with bats. This should solve our problem. This is our second time using this company, they also repaired our chimney for the furnace.

Description of Work
Had chimney checked on fireplace for a cap.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, fireplaces

06/30/2021

Marvin W.

I have used Am. Chimney very close to 30 years and have always been very pleased with their service. Unfortunately this time did not go so well. When Chris and Mark were cleaning the chimney my family room filled with enough gray soot to set off my fire alarm. Needless to say after they left much of my family room needed a good cleaning. Although this did happen I will continue to use Am. Chimney.

Description of Work
Cleaned and inspected wood burning fireplace chimney.

02/23/2021

Hank O.

Tim and his helper did a fantastic job. I have been using American Chimney for over 10 years. The arrive when scheduled, leave the area clean, communicate what they are doing, and do it all at a fair price.

Description of Work
Chimney Sweep

04/05/2020

Marvin W.

FANTASTIC. Tim and Jason did an EXCELLENT job. Very neat work, did a good job of matching masonry, and cleaned up afterwards. Continually worked while on the job and made sure I was happy before they left. I would highly recommend American Chimney for this type of work.

Description of Work
Tuck pointed failed masonry after house had moved..

Category masonry

04/05/2020

Marvin W.

EXCELLENT. As always Jim did a great job. And cleaned everything up after the job. I would highly recommend American Chimney for this type of work.

Description of Work
Yearly chimney and fireplace cleaning. Along with a minor repair of the firebox.

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

10/05/2018

Margaret M.

they told me they don't do that--I need a plumber to do that.

Description of Work
I needed the gas insert cleaned

Category gas logs

08/27/2018

John T.

I had an appointment scheduled for a cleaning and a quote. No one showed up or called. When I reached out to see the delay, the women said she didn't have my name or an appointment. When I originally called I put the appointment in my outlook calendar with company name and phone number. Heather was nice enough, but this is extremely frustrating when you take off work to be home.

Description of Work
Chimney Repair Quote

03/29/2018

Marvin W.

Very well. Chris did a great job and I am very happy with his work.

Description of Work
Tuck pointed the firebox, flash sealed chimney, and cap.

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

02/19/2018

Angela D.

To save you and them time, I thought it would be helpful to note on here that they do not do free estimates. I called about getting an estimate on replacing the crown of my chimney and he said it would be $95 to come out and give an estimate.

Description of Work
No work was done. I called about getting an estimate to replace the crown of our chimney.

Category masonry

02/01/2018

SUSAN M.

American Chimney has been doing my annual gas fireplace service for the past several years. This year the fireplace switched off about 15 minutes after the technician left. Annual maintenance cost = $160 I had to schedule another appointment - that took about two weeks. Can't remember if there was a part this second visit. It was all working fine, then switched off about 5 minutes after the technician left. I called his cell and he came right back and then had to order a thermocoupler. No charge for this visit I had to wait for that to get in, about 4 weeks later on 1/11 I had another appointment. He replaced the thermocoupler, sat there for about 15 minutes to make sure it was working, then left. 5 mins later off it went. $175 for the part. No charge for the visit. Now all along the technician and the scheduler are telling me that American Chimney is getting out of the gas fireplace maintenance business for "older" units, that they aren't making parts for my (16 year old) fireplace anymore, and I'll probably have to replace the whole thing soon. It is built in so that is thousands of dollars. So after their THIRD visit without success and the narrative about my gas fireplace becoming unserviceable, I called someone else from Angie's List - DBA. LOVE them - see that review. They fixed my fireplace and said they would take care of this fireplace for the next 30 years if I wanted.

Description of Work
First - regular annual maintenance, then a series of repairs

Category fireplaces

01/16/2018

Ed A.

Very well. Proffessional and excelent service

Description of Work
Clean and inspect chimeny

Category chimney sweep, dryer vent cleaning

01/04/2018

Paul D.

Went great, first company to know the stove I had installed & how to properly clean & inspect. On time, In and out quickly overall great experience!

Description of Work
Needed chimney inspected/swept

12/07/2017

Sylvia J.

The completed work was of very high quality, and there was much attention to detail in the planning process, including fielding many questions I had about the results of the inspection and my options. The Regency fireplace appeared to be of high quality, and was the preferred option for me, rather than gas logs that may not vent properly or using a wood-burning fireplace. The Regency insert works well, and operates simply and well; it has its own venting and exhaust system that is inserted into the chimney. I was encouraged to research the product and its features before selecting this as an option, so that I could make the best choice for myself. The installers were very careful around the fireplace, and installed a size that preserved most of the marble area facade to the front of the fireplace. They protected wood floors during the installation and cleaned up carefully after the work. They patiently explained the functioning of the fireplace and tested everything for me prior to leaving. The lower level was bricked over carefully in a way that looks attractive and care was taken to match the older brick as closely as possibly given the age of the older brick. The original inspectors also kindly told me that there was an alternative to having my hot water heater vent up the chimney, which was a direct vent; I talked with the plumber about that, and elected that option for the water heater, which lightens up on chimney maintenance and repair, and is just as effective with a high-quality water heater. The exterior work will be delayed until Spring because of issues with masonry work during the colder temperature months, but that was planned for and understood. The work took a little while to get to, but they accommodated me as quickly as they were able to, and offered me the option of going ahead with the interior work this Fall, and only waiting on the exterior chimney work. The workmanship, understanding of chimney/fireplace problems, attention to detail, analysis of the condition of the chimney/fireplace all were of excellent quality. They communicated well during the process and were respectful of my home during the process; they have been excellent to work with overall, and I feel confident in their attention to the safety and structural concerns that every homeowner has around fireplaces & chimneys. This is an area where I think it unwise to take shortcuts, and American Chimney offers the professionalism that one wants in this type of home repair and work.

Description of Work
American Chimney had performed a Level II inspection of my chimney system that was handling two fireplaces (1st floor and lower level) and also exhaust from the gas water heater. There were extensive problems with liner, flue, creosote buildup on the interior and exterior issues with sections of the brick and the crown. I have contracted with them for both interior and exterior work. The interior work was recently completed. I opted to have a lower level chimney bricked over and to have a gas insert (Regency) fireplace installed in my living room (which doesn't require liner repair since it has its own liner and exhaust system that runs up the chimney. I recommend the detailed inspection; it gives a homeowner much detail from which to decide upon necessary and sufficient repairs in a chimney/fireplace system, much of which is not visible to the homeowner. A very good general home inspector initially alerted me to the problems, and recommended the Level II inspection.

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair, fireplaces

05/11/2017

Timothy E.

Their team was very professional and informative.

Description of Work
They performed an inspection on the chimney at the home we are about to purchase.

05/06/2017

Mark C.

Sweep was a Angies list deal. Brick work, cleaning, stone corbels, and sealing cost $2200.

Description of Work
Chimney sweep, cleaned off mildew on outside of chimney, replaced 15 cracked bricks, installed sloped stone on top of corbels to direct water and drain off formerly flat haunches, and sealed brick.

Category chimney sweep, masonry

03/24/2017

Claire B.

Not well. The young men who arrived to give me the estimate were nice enough, but they said they had no say as to whether or not the work could be done. I am a single woman and don't appreciate being taken advantage of like this...which was apparently the woman gave me hope that they could fix the pavers in order to get them a chance at fixing my chimney. $95.00 for nothing.

Description of Work
No services were performed, they charged $95 dollars for an estimate. When I called the company I explained I was interested in MASONRY work, which they openly advertise that they do. I needed brick pavers repaired that lead to my front porch, which I thoroughly explained, and that I was giving that person the work on my chimney that needed to be repaired. She said they would come out, but after they did, they declined to do the pavers, saying they only do chimney work ?!!! After I paid $95.00 to find out they would not do it. To top it off, the woman who answers the phone there is not friendly, and in fact is a bit rude. I found out it's a family business, and they should definitely have someone else answering their phone. I live west and this company is on the west side of town. I am going to spread the word, as I have plenty of friends with pavers on their property. If they only do chimney work, they should not be advertising they also do masonry and then bilk the customer into paying the $95.00 for showing up to tell them they won't do it.

Category masonry, chimney repair

We are sorry that you are unhappy with our service. When you scheduled your appointment, you stated that you needed an estimate to replace bricks on your porch, which we do offer as a service, along with an estimate for exterior chimney repair. When we got to your home, it turned out that you needed an estimate to repair your pavers. Our service men kindly informed you that we do not do work with pavers and that we recommend you call a landscaping company for that portion of your repair work. We then performed our evaluation of your chimney as requested and collected payment. When the service men returned and let us know how unhappy you were, the office manager called to try to resolve the issue with you. In conclusion to the conversation you had with our office manager, your $95 credit card payment was cancelled and we never collected payment for the service. Again, sorry for any misunderstanding or inconvenience this may have caused and we feel that we handled the misunderstanding in the best way possible.

10/03/2016

Matthew D.

The company was prompt and professional. Gave great instructions and advice and were quick. I have no complaints or issues whatsoever.

Description of Work
Yearly chimney inspection/checkup.

09/26/2016

Mark G.

Great, service was done as aspected

Description of Work
Chimney cleaning and inspection

09/19/2016

Neena A.

Very well. Arrived on time and worked very quickly. Very professional.

Description of Work
Clean chimney

08/02/2016

Elaine K.

No issues. Very professional; cleaned up area upon completion. They even cleaned off sticks on my roof near where they were working, which saved me a trip up there to do it myself! I used this same company about 10 years ago to install a new chimney cap, etc.

Description of Work
Replaced 1 missing brick and replaced numerous other loose bricks or bricks that were cracked on the chimney (had to use scaffolding). Additionally washed brick to remove moss and applied a water repellent to the entire chimney.

Category masonry, chimney repair

03/16/2016

Joanne S.

I have had them come out a few times. Absolutely A rated experience!

Description of Work
Replaced parts and were fixing a gas log fireplace.

Category chimney repair

01/30/2016

SUSAN M.

took it apart and fixed the pilot light. I use them every year for preventative maintenance and this year for fixing!

Description of Work
fixed my gas fireplace

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces, gas logs

12/07/2015

Betsy B.

Dan, from American Chimney, let me watch the video scan as he was doing it and explained what we were seeing. The scan showed cracks in the flue tiles and areas of missing mortar. I cannot have the chimneys repaired at this time. Dan did not try to pressure me into doing anything that I was not interested in doing at this time.

Description of Work
Video scan & inspection of two fireplaces & chimneys. Inspection of outside of chimney and roof area around chimney. Cleaned dryer vent.

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney repair, fireplaces, dryer vent cleaning

11/23/2015

Joseph H.

They were very helpful. Even though they were booked up they found time to schedule us within a week. Josh the serviceman was very helpful explaining what was wrong with our fireplaces lack of draw. He performed only the services that were needed and gave us a full report. I would recommend to anyone needing fireplace service.

Description of Work
fireplace service.

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

11/21/2015

Kym P.

Great service in all areas from office to workers. David did a great job on matching brick (exact one not available).

Description of Work
Tore down and replaced chimney

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney repair

Thompson Masonry and Chimney Repair

Thompson Masonry & Chimney Repair specializes in residential Chimney and Masonry repair. Services include: Chimney Repair, Chimney Sweeping and Cleaning, Chimney Rebuilds, Chimney Crown Repair, Chimney Inspections, Chimney Liners, Furnace Liners, Water Heater Liners, Masonry Repair, Tuck Pointing, Waterproofing. Our goal is provide you with the best Chimney and Masonry Repairs in the state of Ohio.

Hicon Inc

HICON Inc. is a construction service company formed in 1977. The firm is comprised of three operating divisions: HICON Masonry, HICON Paving and HICON Restoration. HICON Masonry provides unit masonry services for the new construction building market. HICON Paving installs paving stones, brick pavers and segmental retaining walls for homeowners, builders and general contractors on new and existing properties. HICON Restoration furnishes masonry and concrete repair and maintenance services to homeowners, and owners of light commercial properties.

Hastings and Sons Concrete

We specialize in everything concrete. Need that drive way fixed or extended? Sidewalk crumbling? Does the Mrs. want a beautiful stamped patio to entertain guest in the backyard? We have over 30 years experience in the industry and we are fully insured. Call us to schedule your free estimate.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express

Chimney cleaning, video evaluations, chimney brick repair, chimney caps, flashing repair, tuckpointing, furnace & h2o liners waterproofing,stove & liner installations, dryer vent cleaning, masonry repair