Island Transitions

Founded 2002 • With Angi since January 2015

248 Route 25A Suite 87

East Setauket, NY 11733

We are dedicated to helping older adults move with care and respect. Our attention to detail and sensitivity to our clients and their families differentiate our services from regular packers and movers. We coordinate all the details involved, unpack and organize the new home making it as comfortable as possible on move day! We even make the beds, connect computers, TVs and lamps! We remove all the boxes and packing materials and organize your closets for you. Island Transitions also organizes homes for clients who need to clear out clutter for their health and safety. We are members of the National Association of Senior Move Managers and Certified Concierge Providers for Coldwell Banker Realty. Visit our website at Islandtransitions.us for more details or Call us at 631-421-3781 for a free consultation....

07/29/2020

Anthony M.

The people in charge of this company are extremely rude! I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

Description of Work
Cleaning of Home

07/09/2019

Beth E.

My mother needed help getting her home office and paperwork in order. Kathleen worked with her over the course of about 4 or 5 2-to-3 hour sessions and was patient and helpful in breaking an overwhelming task into manageable steps, and creating a system that we could use to keep the space in order after she was done. Although it seemed little pricey, the cost was in line with other professionals, we planned for the expense and the results were well worth it.

Description of Work
Organizing/filing of a home office.

Category home & garage organization

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Island Transitions services. It was my pleasure to work with your mother who was so delightful and willing to learn a new filing system. I hope she is enjoying her organized office now and will take pride in knowing where things are easily found.

10/10/2017

Linda K.

Very Well.

Description of Work
sorting and decluttering.

Category home & garage organization

Thank you, [Member Name Removed]. It has been my pleasure to help you with sorting and organizing your home. We have taken many trips down memory lane together on your journey and I enjoyed hearing about your traveling adventures. Your memory is remarkable and it is amazing to me that you can recall so many details having not seen photos in decades. It is always fun working with you.

07/05/2017

Anne H.

Here recently she took it upon herself to call me and let me know that she checked on my dad and sent me a great picture of them and letting me know how happy my father is where he is at and she has just been so wonderful and caring. This was a very hard time for my family and she was just an angel sent to help me get through this.

Description of Work
She is so lovely. I used her in the summer of 2015. She helps seniors arrange their possessions and facilitate their homes to move to an assisted living facility. I live in Maryland and my parents lived in New York. I came there to help them and ran into this Kathleen and she has just been phenomenal. I did not know where to start and she helped me from start to finish and she gained my father trust and helped him with his clothes and completely arranged his new apartment in the facility to help him feel at home and comfortable. She arranged with me and her staff to clear the home and sort through the possessions of my parents and getting them moved to sale the home. Everything was split up between 6 grand kids all around the country and she got everything sent to those specific places and helped me make arrangements to give things away. Since I live so far away I would have had no idea what I would have done without her!

Category home & garage organization

Thank you for your kind words. It is my pleasure to visit former clients when I am visiting their retirement communities. I like to take a picture with them and chat about their new life and home. Your Dad was so welcoming and pleased to see me. I was impressed that he keeps up with current events with daily delivery of the NY Times to his apartment. He was happy to know that his grandchildren have his tools, family china and pictures. I remember working with an excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the children and grandchildren's locations across the country. We sent pictures and descriptions to all so that they could choose which items they wanted. I'm glad that all went smoothly for your family. You were a great help in all of the decision making involved in this complicated move.

06/05/2015

Elizabeth M.

Kathleen was easily reached by phone, and scheduled a quick appointment at our convenience. During the initial free consultation, Kathleen walked through the house with us, listened carefully to our concerns and plans, and explained her services. She offered an incredibly helpful referral regarding what to do with our furniture. On further discussion it appeared that we may or may not need to engage her services, given what we've already done and given this useful info she provided. This was a super-positive experience. Kathleen came across as extremely competent, experienced and supportive, and she offers a very flexible, wide range of services. We absolutely would plan to hire Island Transitions if we decide we need organizer services as this unfolds.

Description of Work
We are selling a house that we inherited, located out of state, and it is complicated figuring out how to sell certain things, move others to our home, etc. We weren't sure whether we actually needed the services of an organizer but wanted to learn about this.

04/28/2015

Annamarie K.

It went WONDERFULLY! I have never before worked with someone so competent, attentive, highly responsive, reliable and above all NICE! It was like having a relative I don't have HELP me at a very trying and stressful time. The provider thought of everything and helped me with everything and I highly recommend their services. The service provided was INVALUABLE and worth so much more than what it actually cost.

Description of Work
Moved my parents from their home of 90 years to elder housing. Arranged for the moving company and meticulously packed everything to ensure nothing was damaged. Helped sort thru what belongings would be useful to take, what wouldn't be necessary and how much to take to make the new place feel like home yet not be crowded. Moreover it was having someone to talk to, ask questions and provide informed guidance/advice. Calmed my dad's frazzled nerves and re-assured him everything was going to be ok and patiently listened to his stories about all of his stuff, making him feel comfortable that his belongings would be treated with respect. Supervised the move, making sure the movers arrived on time, and handled everything with care. But most of all it was the peace of mind of having someone to HELP when there was no one else to help me with this massive task that had to be performed quickly and under duress. It was having someone caring and HIGHLY competent to ask questions and provide trusted references for various services such as health aides, eldercare attorney and providers to help sell house belongings, clean out the house. I was also given guidance of what to do as far as changing my parents mailing address and helped with that task too!

04/28/2015

John F.

It went very well. Because of the unusual circumstance of this project ( my uncle's house was in Queens and I living three counties away,) I was very grateful to Island Transitions for their fine efforts in meeting deadlines in emptying the house and preparing it for sale. There was so much to be done at the time of my uncle's death that I wasn't prepared for. At every step, Kathleen was there, guiding me. By the time the house was ready for sale, it looked great. It was a blessing that she had good communication with the real estate agents. When buyers were viewing the house, it was always at its best.Concurrently, my daughter was relocating from Boston to Central Massachusetts. Island Transitions was able to give me the name of an outstanding mover who picked up, stored and delivered her furnishings on her schedule.Island Transitions-well worth the money. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
My uncle passed away suddenly in 2013 leaving me to dispose of his home and its contents. This included 83 years of accumulated "stuff" as well as some valuable art and bric-a-brac. It was hard to separate the "wheat from the chaff". He left few clues.Kathleen from Island Transitions helped us to sort through everything and to streamline the process of deciding what to keep, what to sell and what to throw away. She professionally packed china and family heirlooms, referred us to sources she trusted to evaluate items and arranged for a tag sale. Island Transitions bagged items for disposal and arranged for a company to remove old furniture and trash. Island Transitions suggested the realtor that ultimately sold the house. After the house was cleaned out, Island Transitions staged the house for a realtor showing.

02/25/2015

John F.

It went very well. Because of the unusual circumstance of this project ( my uncle's house was in Queens and I living three counties away,) I was very grateful to Island Transitions for their fine efforts in meeting deadlines in emptying the house and preparing it for sale. There was so much to be done at the time of my uncle's death that I wasn't prepared for. At every step, Kathleen was there, guiding me. By the time the house was ready for sale, it looked great. It was a blessing that she had good communication with the real estate agents. When buyers were viewing the house, it was always at its best. Concurrently, my daughter was relocating from Boston to Central Massachusetts. Island Transitions was able to give me the name of an outstanding mover who picked up, stored and delivered her furnishings on her schedule. Island Transitions-well worth the money. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
My uncle passed away suddenly in 2013 leaving me to dispose of his home and its contents. This included 83 years of accumulated "stuff" as well as some valuable art and bric-a-brac. It was hard to separate the "wheat from the chaff". He left few clues. Kathleen from Island Transitions helped us to sort through everything and to streamline the process of deciding what to keep, what to sell and what to throw away. She professionally packed china and family heirlooms, referred us to sources she trusted to evaluate items and arranged for a tag sale. Island Transitions bagged items for disposal and arranged for a company to remove old furniture and trash. Island Transitions suggested the realtor that ultimately sold the house. After the house was cleaned out, Island Transitions staged the house for a realtor showing.

Category home & garage organization

Thank you for your review. It was my pleasure to assist you and your family with the seemingly daunting task of downsizing, cleaning out and selling of your home.

01/09/2015

Annamarie K.

Category home & garage organization

Thank you [name removed]! I strive to do the best for my clients and treat them as if they were family. I hope your parents are doing well and adjusting to community living.