Capital District Contractors & Decks Inc

Founded 1987 • With Angi since January 2009

Over time even the best planned and designed home may need a home improvement/home renovation project to keep up with a growing family or a changing lifestyle. Whether you need to spread out, spread up or streamline your existing space to better suit your current needs, Capital District Contractors & Decks, Inc has the experience to convert your wishes and dreams into a reality! The initial planning stages of a home improvement project are crucial to longer term enjoyment of your home and Capital District Contractors & Decks, Inc will help you to plan a design that ensures your needs are addressed as well as adherence to local building code. We enjoy the challenge of working on each unique project and are ready to undertake both large and small conversions of living space. We are known for top quality work at very reasonable prices....

Father & Son Home Improvements

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Father-Son-Home-Improvements/337069303783 Most of our work is done by the owner of the company. All work is overseen by the owner of the company. When a estimate is given any discounts are included in the quote

Murray tile and stone

I specialize in porcelain and ceramic tile for kitchens, bathrooms, and backsplashes. I have been doing tile for over 10 years and I am the one to give an estimate and give you a perfect tile job every time.

J & R CARPET & DRAPERY CLEANING

J AND Rs Carpet and Drapery Cleaning is a locally owned and operated business that offers commercial and residential clients in Saratoga, Schenectady, and Albany County in NY. Services offered include: - Carpet Cleaning - Drapery Cleaning - Upholstery Cleaning - Tile & Grout Cleaning - Window Treatment Cleaning J & R Carpet & Drapery Cleaning will clean your carpets and upholstery with expert care at a reasonable price. J & R Carpet Cleaning offers on site truck mounted steam cleaning, and fast drying for your carpets. Attention to detail and an unmatched thoroughness are hallmarks of their success. No job is too big or too small for J & R Carpet Cleaners. J & R services a wide area including Clifton Park, Niskayuna, Schenectady, Malta, Saratoga, Mechanicville, Latham, Burnt Hills, and the capital district area. Don't take chances with your expensive carpets and upholstery! Leave all your carpet, upholstery & drapery cleaning to the experts! Call J & R Carpet Cleaners today! Senior citizen discounts available. Visit our site to see our latest offers http://www.jandrscarpetcleaning.com.

10/25/2021

Vincent T.

Stay away from this fraud! He is not a member of capital region builder association. Has had multiple lawsuits against him. Unfortunately we did not find this information until after. Started a remodel with this company and began to notice defects in the work. After pointing out the quality of work we were not satisfied with, the owner began to threaten my family. It seems this company hires people right off the street with little to no experience, and then demands an unfair price for their subpar work. The owner has not offered to reimburse us for damaging our basement bar. Overall, the project terrible quality, they won't fix what's wrong, and are still demanding full payment. I would never recommend this “company.”

Description of Work
Basement remodel

Category drywall,electrician,lighting,woodworking,basement remodeling

05/15/2016

Randy L.

The owner Mr. Bernacki came to my home to discuss my porch project. Upon leaving, he offered to get back to me with references of similar porch work done in the region by his company, and to also add a price of what it would cost him to purchase and install a front door. However, this was the last useful interaction he provided. Despite following up in several emails and a few phone calls over a several week period, the only respond provided was a brief email that read, "Got your emails". He did not attempt to answer any questions including a simple one about the possibility of financing my project with a credit card. No references or door quote was provided as promised. He just left me in the dark with no apparent intent of providing the inputs he promised. This is not professional and as such I moved on to reputable contractors who were interested in building for me. If I had read the Angie's List reviews on Capital District Contractors first, I would have learned 1 in about 4 people (~24%) were giving this company F's for similar reasons.

Description of Work
Contractor provided a quote to build a 250 ft^2 porch with composite deck and rails including roof on the front of my home. He offered to provide examples of his company's work. He also offered to install a front door I had planned to order from Home Depot at an installation price cheaper than Home Depot. These were empty promises that never materialized.

09/09/2015

Kyle K.

Overall the work went well. The sun room turned out great and I'm very happy with the end product. The demo, framing, insulation, trim, siding and window installation were all done very well with a minimal amount of issues or corrections necessary. The foundations however did have several issues the two outside foundations needed to be moved because they were installed in the wrong place. They were moved on a day when I was not there and they ended up being in a location where the existing footers were not used. This caused the outside foundations to heave over the winter. I have since corrected the issue myself because I wanted to make sure that issue never happens again.

Description of Work
Enclosed back porch and turned into sun room.

Category decks,plumbing,siding,foundation repair

08/21/2015

Donald B.

Had them replace the front porch. Work was done on schedule and on budget. Only delay was waiting for the building inspectors to inspect and approve the depth of the support column concert pour holes. Totally out of the builders control. The workers were very professional and accommodating. Contract was very clear and concise. All my questions and concerns were addressed quickly. I?m planning on putting a deck on the back of the house in the future and I would welcome them back to do the job. Two big thumbs up.

Description of Work
Replace front porch

08/03/2015

John R.

Contacted about 2 porch replacements. No response. I consider that highly unprofessional. If your not interested in a job how much effort does it take to respond.

Description of Work
Nothing

02/22/2015

Patricia B.

Prior to contracting with Dave I spoke with several previous clients. EVERYONE was TOTALLY PLEASED with their final results.....even the two clients who had difficulties during their construction process. My project required a variance and Dave referred me to a draftsman who drew the plans and guided me through this process without one delay or problem. My initial plan was to do a screened porch. After framing was complete I decide that I wanted to a sunroom instead. Dave was very accommodating and adapted my plans to create a beautiful sunroom. Throughout the process he answered all my questions and addressed every one of my concerns. Follow up phone calls were typically returned the same day. The project manager was on site almost daily checking to make sure things were going well and also clarified all of my questions/concerns. His crews were professional, courteous and knowledgeable. I was also pleased with the quality of his subcontractors who always came on the day and time that Dave said they would. During construction materials were always neat and there was rarely any debris left at the end of the day. It is obvious that Dave cares about his clients. He and his team are dedicated to reaching their goal of having clients thrilled with the quality and look of their completed project.

Description of Work
Sunroom

Category decks,remodeling,screen repair,sunrooms

01/15/2015

Patti V.

I found Dave and his staff to be very accommodating. They are a busy company, handling many projects and somehow manages to keep them all on schedule! Dave and his project manager handle the scheduling, ordering and book keeping themselves - not through a central office. I imagine this helps keep costs down with less overhead, but also requires the home owner to stay on top of expenses. I did not encounter any major problems during my project. I utilized Dave's architect for plans and they required a few revisions which is to be expected but it was quick turnaround time. Dave made great suggestions along the way and helped us to create a vision for what we wanted. We did not have all the details in our mind worked out and we relied heavily on Dave's experience. Dave was accommodating to changes we wanted to make along the way such as adding the roof, adding additional electrical service etc. This project was scheduled to be completed in time for the holidays and I was often impatient. Dave however, maintained his professionalism and worked to keep things on track. He was patient with us when we were stressed, as it is never easy having your house torn up! He walked us through the process of what to expect and reassured us along the way personally returning texts or messages. The company utilizes licensed professionals i.e. master carpenter and licensed electricians etc. (the last project we did the company we used did not we later learned.) All of the tradesmen we encountered work directly for him (carpenter, sheetrocker, electrician and finisher for trim etc). The only things subbed out were painter and tile work - both of whom have long history with Dave and did excellent work. I was very comfortable with all of the workers at my house and found them to be polite and courteous. I also have a large dog who is very curious and all were patient with him following them around etc. at times! All in all I would not have done anything differently. I felt confident in Dave's ability to ensure the project was completed in a quality manner and they corrected any details along the way with professionalism. I was impressed that he sent a cleaning crew over to help me get the house cleaned up for the holidays and even sent a few guys over to help move furniture out when we decided to include refinishing the floors (another suggestion that I was not planning on but glad I took his advice and did it.) It cam out beautiful and is everything I wanted. Granted we spent more than we originally planned, but this is due to our add-ons not up-charges from company. I feel that our house is so much more modern now and we our no longer nervous about our electric. We hope to have them back to do the screened in patio room at some point!

Description of Work
Dave's crew added a 12 x 20 addition on our home to serve as a dining room/ gathering room off of our kitchen as well as pour a foundation for a future screened in patio room. In the process they overhauled our electric up to modern standards by upgrading to 200 amp service, adding a panel downstairs to support add-ons and running new wires to separate different rooms to separate breakers. (We have an older house where many of the lines were shared and we would often trip breakers.) Also added under cabinet lighting and a 220 service outside for future hot tub. Replaced stairs and banisters to 2nd floor, laid tile in new room and kitchen. During the course of the project we decided to also replace our roof which was an additional cost to the original quote of approximately 60k which included siding and gutters and a deck.

Category ceramic tile,decks,drywall,electrician,flooring contractor,gutter repair,lighting,remodeling,roofing,siding,woodworking,sunrooms,foundation repair

01/11/2015

Zheng H.

All in all it was a great job. The final results pleased everyone and achieved original goal. Most works were executed in quality and professional manner. The owner is flexible to negotiate if there are issues arise during the process (there always are problems with a project of this scale). One of our big issues, for example, was that we realized that the cedar shingle we wanted had not been listed in contract, which stated using vinyls shingles. In the end Dave agreed to accommodate. It took a bit longer but the cedar shingle was beautifully installed. This company does provide quality work. That being said, however, I do have some advice for prospective homeowner. 1. You must be very clear about what you want at contract signing. The more precise the better. 2. Examine the architectural drawings and final contract very very carefully. 3. if you find it confusing, it's not a bad idea to hire yourself an architect who works for you and go through many details of construction on your behalf. you might save yourself much headache. 4. Find a mutually acceptable range of finish dates. if possible specify finish dates on each big step (eg. foundation work, framing, sheet rocking , etc. ) 5. finally let me reiterate. The owner will deliver quality job and just keep communication as frequent as you can.

Description of Work
Addition of new sunroom 14 x 17 ft.

Category roofing,sunrooms

11/26/2014

Michael M.

The work that was supposed to take 4-6 weeks for the sunroom and 5-7 business days for the kitchen took 4 months all together. Workers showed up unexpectedly and irregularly. They worked one day and then took 4 days off. No one told me when I needed to purchase items, or I was told to get something and the directions were totally wrong. I had to go to Home Depot 3 times to get countertops and had to settle for stock items rather than getting the countertop I wanted. Now I have two cabinet drawers in the kitchen that are crooked and a door that doesn't open properly. The back door to the sunroom already sticks. There is a spot in the floor tile in front of the sink that is irregular and does not cover completely. They say the quality of the work will convince you to love it in the end, but the quality is not there in my project. Everything was done haphazardly. They painted the walls of the half bath AFTER they had put in all the fixtures. Nobody told the painter he had to paint the ceiling until I did. The only reason everything was finished was because after 3.5 months I wrote a scathing letter to the BBB. These people are not professional. The owner is a great salesman, but if you don't stay on top of things, they let you drift. My definition of a professional is someone who does his job without me looking over his shoulder and telling him what, when, and how to do something. Don't go with this company! Unless you're prepared for the delays or going to press them constantly to get things done and to do it right, you will be mistreated, and then they will blame you for the delays and lack of quality.

Description of Work
Added a sunroom and remodeled kitchen

Category decks,sunrooms

11/11/2014

DEBBIE F.

I couldn't be more pleased with the process and the outcome of this project. Joe worked with me from beginning to end on what was a complicated retrofit of a deck that had multiple, oddly shaped angles. He also built an extra set of stairs from the top deck to the side yard. The deck was especially difficult to demo and build as it is surrounded by ponds. He met me at the supplier's store twice to go over product and color choices. He and his staff always cleaned up at the end of the day and took extra care not to contaminate the ponds with construction debris. He saw issues with electrical outlets that were not to his liking around the ponds and fixed them of his own accord. This company was one of three estimates I obtained. The first guy ran for the hills given the size and complexity of the job. The second estimate was thousands above what Joe quoted. Joe and his staff always showed up when they said they would and on time... which I have found to be an increasingly rare commodity among contractors these days. It was refreshing and appreciated. Joe is an absolute professional and a great guy. He aims for excellence and it shows. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone who is considering a deck. As they told me in the store where I picked out my products, "he is the best." I plan to use him for any and all exterior work I have in the future. In fact he will be installing a sliding glass door for me in a few weeks. If you want a deck, this is your man.

Description of Work
Replaced the surface of a twenty year old tri-level deck ( approx 400 sf) with Trex composite deck lighting. Old deck surface was demolished and removed.

Category decks

Residential/commercial, General contracting, home improvements, decks, Sunroom builders ,1st &. 2nd Story Additions, Finished basements.