ALEXANDER'S IMPORT AUTO REPAIR

Founded 1985 • With Angi since October 2001

2904 E 35th St

Minneapolis, MN 55406

We perform all types of general auto repair, from major engine repair, brake service, oil changes, heating and air conditioning, tires and alignment, and factory scheduled maintenance. We have ASE Certified Technicians. Free loaner vehicles available. Easy access to light rail and other public transportation from our shops. ...

03/12/2018

Kevin D.

They found the code right away but they charged me more than $100 to do it. They never told me and I didn't find out until later that such a code search can and will be done for free at most auto parts stores and several other locations, too. It was, they said, the catalytic converter. Their estimate to replace? More than $1000, over $700 for the part and over $300 for labor. They didn't tell me, as I found out later from a more reputable auto repair garage, that the catalytic converter rarely goes out and mine did not need replacing. This place gave me an estimate of less than half of Alexander's. I had used Alexander's several times before and they seemed reasonable, but this episode drew me to conclude that I will never use them again and steer people clear of them any chance I get. On finding the code, it's fine they charge, but as a regular customer, they could've and should've told me where I could get it done for free. That's how you build loyalty. But the estimate for a replacement that didn't need to be done anyway, they were outrageous. I also got an oil change, so the total cost at Alexander's was over $150!

Description of Work
Needed to know the code from "Check Engine" light.

Category auto repair,car inspections

02/15/2017

TIM & LYNN D.

They're very reasonable. I've been using them for 20 years now. It's just extremely convenient to where we used to live. They're just a mechanic; they don't sell cars.

Description of Work
We go to Alexander's Imports. We last went in for general maintenance. They've been working on both of our cars off and on for years.

03/25/2014

Philip K.

Alexander's Import Auto has always done extremely high quality work on several cars that I have owned, but I was not satisfied with my last experience at Alexander's. I did not look at my receipt until I had brought my car home, but I noticed they charged me $39.73 as a "Supplies Fee" for this job, and they also charged the exact same fee ($39.73) last summer when I had my clutch replaced. I called back about a week later to discuss this fee, and Wes stated that it is a fee automatically calculated by the program the shop uses. I explained that there is no way that the shop used $39.73 worth of supplies on this job, and I found it very strange that I had been charged the exact same fee twice in a row, on two separate visits. I think that both of these fees should be refunded to me. It's dishonest, not accurate, and I was not happy at all with Wes' explanation and attitude. He basically just said it was my choice if I wanted to take my car to someone else in the future. It is very convenient for the shop to use a program that adds such high, inaccurate Supply Fees. In addition, in the middle of this job, Mark called to explain that I also needed a seal for a leaking water pump. The price for this labor was quoted as $180. I thought this price was extremely inflated, as I have watched the timing belt and water pump being changed on this car about 9 years ago. I know that it doesn't take nearly 2 hours to change a seal for the water pump. Obviously I declined this work. To be fair, the work that was completed was done in a high quality manner. I'm very unhappy though, about being charged unfair fees when there are so many other shops in the area that would be happy to take my business. The labor rate at Alexander's is already very high, so I don't think these additional fees are fair.

Description of Work
Changed timing belt, tensioner, pulley, cam and crank seals, and adjusted rear brakes in a 1994 Toyota Tercel

Category auto repair

The work we performed was with in the price we had quoted, including the charge of "shop supplies". This charge is a vary standard charge at most if not all professional auto repair shops. How we "Alexander's" equate this charge based on the amount of labor time a particular job takes. The idea less time less supplies needed. The reason it showed as the same exact charge on two repair orders is because that is the cap we charge. This charge is related to the many things needed to do repair work that can not be billed out individually "welding gas, floor cleaners, subscriptions to keep diagnostic tools and repair information up to date, too many to list". This is a accounting trail thought buy the most reputable automotive management classes in the country. Hope this helps you at least understand why we, and other shops have this charge. We did reach out to Philip with no response as of yet. He has been a customer in the past and we hope to see him again, please call if you would like to discus this further.

02/26/2014

Jorge P.

Not overly impressed. I happened to drop my car during heavy snowfall around 8 am. Was not even offered or asked about the need for a ride back to work. Tried to call a cab, but everyone needed a cab that morning. Then I walked over 0.6 miles to the light rail station. When picked up my car later in the afternoon I noticed that the car was not parked in the area outside the main office. After paying and getting the key back, I was told that the car was in a parking lot on a side road. I had to walk through a slippery area across the street covered with a crazy amount of snow that had fallen that day. I don't even think that I saved much comparing their prices with the car?s manufacturer service.

Description of Work
Oil/filter change; check levels

Category auto repair

Sorry we were not able to meet all your expectations on your visit. The snow and parking restrictions offer a challenge for us we are working to improve on. We do offer rides to the light rail station, and am happy to help accommodate our customers special needs. If you do decide to give us a try again, just let us know how we can help and we do what we can to make working with us as easy as possible. Thank You for giving us the input to be able to improve our services.

10/14/2013

devlin B.

I brought my classic car to them for an alignment because the car was drifting to one side. They were very friendly and easy to talk with when they took the car for servicing. They contacted me shortly afterwards and informed me there was nothing wrong with the alignment, and that everything was within spec. I didn't agree with the findings, but did pay for the time and effort they put into it. I took the car to another shop that specializes in classic autos and he said the car was very out of alignment. After an hour at the other mechanics shop (most of the time spent BS'ing about cars with each other) my car was perfectly aligned. This sounds like a negative review, and probably would be except for what happened a few days later... I received a call from Alexander’s saying they had discovered their alignment tool was off-calibration and they believed it had incorrectly measured my car. They offered to get my car in ASAP and do the alignment for free. All of this was without me complaining about anything or calling them later to say they had been wrong. I believe everybody and every business makes mistakes but that very few try to make up for them. If for no other reason I would use them in the future.

Description of Work
Did not get service

Category

09/24/2013

devlin B.

I brought my classic car to them for an alignment because the car was drifting to one side. They were very friendly and easy to talk with when they took the car for servicing. They contacted me shortly afterwards and informed me there was nothing wrong with the alignment, and that everything was within spec. I didn't agree with the findings, but did pay for the time and effort they put into it. I took the car to another shop that specializes in classic autos and he said the car was very out of alignment. After an hour at the other mechanics shop (most of the time spent BS'ing about cars with each other) my car was perfectly aligned. This sounds like a negative review, and probably would be except for what happened a few days later... I received a call from Alexander?s saying they had discovered their alignment tool was off-calibration and they believed it had incorrectly measured my car. They offered to get my car in ASAP and do the alignment for free. All of this was without me complaining about anything or calling them later to say they had been wrong. I believe everybody and every business makes mistakes but that very few try to make up for them. If for no other reason I would use them in the future.

Description of Work
Did not get service

Category auto repair,car inspections

09/05/2013

charlie W.

The work seemed okay. It was a bit on the expensive side, but they seem to do good work. They were professional and courteous. I will try to to find someone else with lower pricing.

Description of Work
They fixed my wife's car. The vehicle is a Nissan Altima. They changed out a sensor.

08/19/2013

LORI S.

The vehicle runs better now?.I do believe however something happened as I seem to have a new window and was not told of anything happening. Concerning.

Description of Work
Serviced my auto with unknown sensor error

Category auto repair

Thank you for the review. We are not able to find this name in our data base it is likely under another name. We are not sure what you are seeing with the window we could have cleaned it, but we would never undertake a repair on a customers car with out first talking with them even if we were responsible. Since we are unsure of how to reach you we are not able to call and talk about this, if you get see this please call we would like to clarify.

06/12/2013

David W.

I went to them because they were highly rated on Angie's List and I think they were fine. I think their price was probably a bit high but I could not say for sure if their price was too high because I do not really know the market that well. They were pretty straight but I have only dealt with them once or twice. As far as I know, they do a good work.

Description of Work
I went to Alexander's Import Auto Repair and they did some brake work for my car.

05/13/2013

Ella C.

Didnt do the amount of work that was discussed when i made the appointment over the phone (tire rotation, spark plug change). I should have made them specifically spell out what work was actually going to be done when i dropped the vehicle off. Price seemed very high for the work that was actually completed. Gave me a loaner car, which was nice. Although the loaner car shimmied when i drove it and the check engine light was on. There was a male employee there that stared at me uncomfortably when i was in the shop. His stare lingered too long and luckily i didnt have to speak to him at the time of drop off. The fellow i talked to in the morning drop off was nice, but he wasnt there when i picked the car up in the afternoon.

Description of Work
routine 60k service.

Affordable Auto Service

At Affordable Auto, we pride ourselves on repairing and maintaining your vehicle right the first time. With over 25 years of experience servicing vehicles, we work on every car like it is our own! No matter what vehicle repair you need, our auto technicians are ready to get you back on the road. We handle all auto repairs to your foreign, domestic, or hybrid vehicle no matter how major or minor. Award winning. Locally owned & operated.

Offers by Affordable Auto Service on Angi
    Am-Pm Automotive Repair

For over 25 years we have been servicing vehicles in the White Bear Lake area and surrounding communities. Started by Greg Martz, we're still a family owned business focusing on you as our customer. As an AC Delco tech center, you can be 100% confident that only the highest quality auto parts will be used on your automobile. While many of our competitors cut prices by cutting quality, we guarantee that all of the replacement parts that we use meet the O.E.M. specifications (original equipment specifications). We do it all, from minor repairs to complete overhauls! We distinguish ourselves from any competition by our exceptional auto repair and customer service!

Auto Service
    Auto Tires
    Auto Inspections
    Auto Radiators
    Auto Mufflers

Import brand auto service.

Domestic car service. Paint & body work.