Canton Construction Corp

Michigan
Michigan: Contractors

5914 N Lotz Road

Canton, MI 48187

Canton Construction is a family owned business, that has been in business for over 20 years. We are a licensed and insured company. Canton Construction is truly your 'one-stop shop' for all of the home improvement needs. Award winning, quality work at competitive prices....

roofing (152)gutter repair (27)home remodeling (17)interior painting (14)woodworking (13)drywall (13)plumbers (7)flooring (7)handyman (6)electrician (6)skylight installation (5)lighting (5)

08/08/2020

Kelsey C.

Excellent service! Extremely professional and done in a timely manner. Would highly recommend!

Description of Work
Gutters installed

Category gutter repair,garage builders

Work Completed On 08/07/2020

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your business!

08/07/2020

Jeffrey S.

After 4 voicemails requesting a call back for a significant renovation project - no response.

Description of Work
Multiple projects (interior/exterior)

Category garage builders

Work Completed On 08/07/2020

Hi [Member Name Removed] - Our phone systems have been down for the past 2 days and we have been working quite tirelessly to have the problem fixed. We apologize for the inconvenience however this is completely out of our control. It is unfortunate that this would result in an F rating from you when we have not even been given the chance to assist you. Currently we can be reached at 734-325-3334. Have a wonderful day.

05/16/2019

Jeremy F.

Extremely disrespectful of my time (especially Scott). Almost every day over the course of the project, they did not show up even remotely close to being on time (4-6 hours late at times). Some days they just wouldn't show up at all and wouldn't even tell you they weren't showing up. They showed no remorse and were almost never apologetic about this. I arranged time off work or had family members sacrifice their free time, just for a no-call/no-show or absurd amounts of delay. ....................................................................................... A story of negligence, disrespect, unethical behavior, and incompetence: .. Near the end of the project they damaged the front door to my house. It had several white spots/streaks as well has a bunch of speckles of a clear-coat on the green door. It's a nice fiberglass door so this was upsetting. When I pointed this out to Scott he said he would get paint and fix it. I asked if he needed the color and he said "Nope, it's Hunter Green, I installed a hundred of these doors." His first excuse for not having the paint was that it was cold outside and he didn't want the paint sitting in his truck. When the weather started warming (1 month later) he said he had to order the paint. After a couple weeks and no response, I contacted the office who said they were ordering the paint and having it shipped directly to my house. After a couple more weeks and no sign of the paint, I inquired about the status again and talked to the owner multiple times and was given multiple excuses and delays. About 3 months after damaging my door, Scott finally shows up with paint and says "They gave me the wrong color." He indeed had put a little bit of the paint on one of the white spots and it was a much brighter green. Then he asked me what color paint the door was. I wasn't sure so I called up Home Depot and they informed me that it was "Rookwood Shutter Green." When I mentioned this to Scott, he said "they don't have that color." I'm not sure who "they" was, but I called the manufacturer of the door and they sent me a sample of the paint for free and I already covered up the bad spots myself, but that clear-coat residue is still on there and Canton Construction still has not addressed this issue. ............................................................................................................................ Below is a summary of the work and their performance on each aspect: PROS: Demo - removed some paneling and cut away some previous framing that was water damaged and replaced with new wolmanized lumber. This part was ok. .. Ceiling - painted black with sprayer. This part came out very nicely. .. Wood Shelving - Pretty good, no issues. .............................................. CONS: Walls - Created rooms from existing framing with mold resistant drywall. They cut one of the light switch receptacles too large and did not fix it. Some of the walls were poorly sanded and I had to do some myself prior to painting the walls. Mediocre, but had enough flaws to not want this company to ever do that again .. Plumbing - reduce length of drain pipe and install new cap. Cut off water line and cap. used shark bite connector and didn't hire a plumber to do this part, Scott just did it himself, but charged for hiring a separate plumber .. Floor prep - he said he was going to use an abrasive to get some of the old flooring up, but ended up just doing an acid wash. He used leveler on the floor, but it's still uneven in several places. One spot in the corner, he just left as a big hole and didn't fill in for some reason. They did a pretty sub-par job on this part .. Floor - epoxy with requested marbling effect. it looks ok. some spots look nice, but others not like marble at all and look very amateur. it was evident that this was the first time Scott ever did this. Johnny showed pictures of jobs where he did the marbling and those looked good so I'm not sure why he didn't ask for Johnny's help to make it come out really well. .. Doors - They made one door swing the opposite way of a light switch so you have to open the door and go around the door to turn on the light on... Terrible forward thinking on their part. ........................................................................................................................................ Below are some examples of their lack of respect and punctuality. Example: 1) They stated they would arrive between 8am and 9am one day. At 9:30am when they didn't arrive I would inquire when they would be arriving and they say "we will be there in about an hour." When they still weren't there at 11:30am, I contacted them again and they just would just stop responding and then showed up around 1pm. They would almost never apologize and just make up excuses, most of which didn't make any sense. 2) One day they blamed their absence on the weather, but then showed up another day when the weather was almost exactly the same. When I called them out on this, they said one of their workers had a personal emergency. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just say this up front, but they gave so many excuses that it's hard to know what they said was true. 3) Initial estimate for the project was 1 week. We added on painting of the ceiling, which added 2 days and the initial quote was to do a "multi-color epoxy" for the floor and we requested the marbling, which added some time (maybe another 3 days). So we are up to about 2 weeks of estimated work with delays. It took them almost 5 weeks to finish. This wouldn't have been quite as bad if we knew about delays up front, but this company often just wouldn't inform you of the delay or would inform you of delays well after the scheduled time.

Description of Work
Refinish basement - epoxy floor, drywall, spray paint ceiling black, install shelving

Category drywall,epoxy flooring,basement remodeling

Work Completed On 01/16/2019

08/10/2018

Frank C.

Thinking I needed a new roof ($11,000+) John came and inspected the roof, said the shingles were still in good condition, the problem was that oranic shigling was used on the ridges, and were deteriorating badly. John took a sample of the deteriotaing shingles, and matched them perfectly. The next day, his crew came, did an excellent job, cleaned up after themselves (the worked like dogs), no mess at all. John called the next day, and said he would come and inspect the job, I told him, no need, save yourseld a trip, it's perfect. Professianlism and honesty is what one expects, and that's exactly what we received. Met and exceed my highest expectations. Thank you John and Canton Construction. I will look foreward to using this company for any future home improving projects.

Description of Work
Roofing repair

Work Completed On 08/10/2018

05/09/2018

Dave V.

Very pleased with this job. The owner of the business, himself, came out to estimate the job and take time to walk through the scope of work and materials to be used. I bid out this project with three other companies. Canton Construction received the work based on competitive price and quality materials. Once the contract was signed materials were delivered and job completed within a week (this was done in mid-April). Work crew was consciencious and professional. No complications or other issues. Required permit was pulled and township inspection successfully completed.

Description of Work
Re-shingle roof and repair/replace rotted wood underlayment.

Work Completed On 04/23/2018

Thank you very much for your business and your review! We appreciate you reaching out to us and we are glad we could provide you with a positive experience. Please contact us with any future needs!

03/06/2018

Patricia P.

Very pleased from first phone call through completion. Will and have recommended others.

Description of Work
Tear off and new roof

Work Completed On 10/31/2017

Thank you very much for your review and your referrals! Don't hesitate to reach out with any future needs!

03/03/2018

Wilma H.

Very pleasant young man. On time--called before showed up. Inspected roof --gave a detailed report on condition, time repairs would take and cost. Made all necessary repairs--area cleaned up thoroughly.

Description of Work
Roof inspection and repair of known leak.

Work Completed On 02/28/2018

Thank you very much for your business, we appreciate you! Don't hesitate to call with any future needs.

12/11/2017

Wendy C.

I signed the contract and paid 5000.00 to start our bathroom on Sept. 26, 2017 . Don Anderson from Canton Construction is the salesman that quoted the job , negotiated the scope of work ( as I only wanted walk-in shower complete and heated/tiled main floor done) . Don first gave me a price of $9500.00 for shower and all tile work (labor only). As we got more into the details of what I wanted he said it would be better to" just let him do it all" , I said fine give me a price and I would like to meet the installer of the tile . Don brought out Scott Brooks of Ascott home services . Don said that "this is one of our best tile guys". We all looked at the space and I brought up my concerns on the floor , the amount of shower heads I wanted & what I expected the finished result to be . They said all that was do able and would get me a new quote soon . The quote came in at $12500.00 and the bathroom would be finished complete right down to the paint ( labor only of course) . I told Don Anderson yes lets set a date . He replied so "its a go" I said yes again . He then set up a date to go over the contract , scope of work , when payments would be made ect. Don came out on 9/26/2017 and had me sign this contract and make a check out to Scott Brooks for $5000.00 and Scott would be by to pick it up later . Some bells should of went off then but if you look at the contract it states Canton Construction is the customer , so I did what I was told . From that day forward it has been a disaster , Ascott only works about 4-6 hours a week . The first month I thought it was my fault as I was still buying marble , Kolher fixtures , cabinets , granite ect. The second month we had issues with what was being done . I called Don Anderson and was re-assured that the issue would be fixed and the job would be completed "way before Dec 1st 2017" that is when my permit expires . Ascott still only worked about 4-6 hours a week , I kept records of all the days he showed up and what was done . On or about Nov 3 I received a bill from Ascott asking for a 3000.00 draw and 525.00 for extras . But earlier that day I got a txt from Ascott asking if Don or Canton Construction had been forwarding pictures and progress reports that Ascott was sending to Canton Construction , I said no they haven't sent anything , he said he would send it to me . Well that's what I got a bill for $3525.00 and they only worked about 35 hours total to this point . I gave them 5000.00 to start . Its only a 12500.00 job and they want over half with only 20% done ? I said I wasn't willing to do that at this time and we all need to talk about this . I called Don Anderson and he said Ascott had done a lot but he would look into it . I wrote Ascott a list of what still needed to be completed and what I was willing to do . Ascott agreed and finished putting in the shower pan liner that needed a inspection and hooked up the water to the mechanical room . I then against my better judgment paid him 2500.00 draw and 310.00 in extras . After that work stopped and the holidays where here . I then wrote the owner of Canton Construction asking for help because Don Anderson is worthless as a general contractor . The reply I got back was a shock . Canton Construction has nothing to do with this job . What ? Your salesman sold the job , your salesman set this whole thing up ? The owner John Sarnecky called me and said something stinks here and he would look into it . A couple of days later John set up a meeting at my home with Ascott , Don Anderson , John Sarneckey and myself only to sand there and say nothing while Don calls me a liar that he told me he didn't want this job at all . What , your name is on the contract along with Canton Construction . So long story short , Canton Construction is owned by the Sarnecky's which have changed their construction company name 3 times now , they have been sued more then once and I would of never used them if it wasn't for the statement on their web site under OUR TEAM . That statement is false , they do not use licensed and insured subcontractors , Ascott I have found is not a licensed anything and the owner of Canton Construction , John Sarnecky himself told me they use Ascott a lot and he will do a good job . Well I am now suing all 4 parties involved in this mess . I paid $7810.00 for labor only so far , I have quotes over $17000.00 just to fix and finish this mess (labor only) . Look at the pictures , before & after . Remember it took over 10 weeks to get this far ? The first 2 pictures are of the bathroom before Canton Construction did anything , the last 4 are what they did . If you look at the drain it is too low , you can not put the tile on above the drain ?? My whole floor is wrong and that's all they really did besides the 1/2 wall which is most likely wrong too. The last picture is the contract that Don Anderson had me sign which shows Canton as the customer . These people can not be trusted , if you have any issues you will need to file a law suit to solve it . ***UPDATE*** I am not here to argue over what has happened, but I would like to say that it is a fact that I had to retain legal help to file a civil lawsuit less than 25,000.00 against Canton Construction . I will post the outcome either way when the court hears the case .

Description of Work
A complete Master Bathroom remodel

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 09/25/2017

Review for Canton Construction Corp - 5914 N Lotz Road, Canton, MI - 36789488

Unfortunately, many things you state in your review are false. Obviously we never like to see an unhappy customer but you are, in fact, a customer of Ascott Homes, NOT Canton Construction. Although we do admit that the wording of the "customer" section on your contract is confusing (this "contract" you signed was originally a proposal from the subcontractor-Ascott Homes, to us, and when it was decided that you would be dealing directly with Ascott Homes, instead of them typing up a new contract, the proposal was handed to you for a signature and deemed a "contract"), all of your payments have gone directly to Ascott Homes and all work has been done by Ascott Homes. Not to mention, two years ago, you signed a contract with Canton Construction which you had no issues with, you know what our contracts look like and entail, and the document for this current project that has your signature on it, is not our contract, which you already know. That clearly proves that we are not the company providing this work to you. Also, please check the facts regarding our company. We are a family owned company that has been in business for over 20 years and our company name has never, at any time, been changed. We have been Canton Construction Corporation from the very start. We also never use subcontractors that are uninsured and that is fact as well. Your statements regarding our company name changing, that we use uninsured/unlicensed subcontractors and that we falsify things on our website is slander. In addition, we were never contacted by you regarding any of the above until well after all of these issues had been going on for quite some time. If we were, in fact, involved in any of this project, we should have been contacted with the very first issue, not when permits are expired and you are feigning to sue everyone that steps on your property. It is unfortunate that we are just now seeing this review, that we never received an Angie's notification that this was here and that we did not have a chance to respond to this in a timely manner. It is most importantly, a shame to know that we may have lost potential business over the last month and a half due to your incredibly false, slanderous accusations that are out for all to see on our business page.

11/02/2017

DIANNA E.

He missed the first appointment, claiming that "his girl" had wrote the wrong City down. After he finally did come to assess the project, well, after four or five calls/texts, I still can't get an estimate from this individual. What a giant waste of time

Description of Work
I just needed a couple of closets redone but there were many other projects in the back burner.

Category handyman service

Work Completed On 11/02/2017

09/28/2017

Vinh D.

Extremely well. All issues were addressed immediately, contractors were there everyday without break one after the other.

Description of Work
I had a house from 1921 two story colonial that had built in box gutters that needed to be replaced. No one was willing to touch them since they either didn't know what built-in box gutters were, or said they were no longer doing the work since it was too much risk. After calling a dozen gutter companies and builders I was finally able to get three quotes. Canton was the only company who was willing to do the work while maintaining the original architecture of the home and without having to replace parts of the roof. Canton was able to remove the existing gutters around the entire house, garage, send story porch and side overhang and rebuild the entire facia to include siding and soffitte. That was the work that no one was willing to touch. Then they installed gutters and gutter guards around the same places.

Category gutter repair,remodeling,roofing

Work Completed On 08/01/2017

Thank you so much for the review! We are glad we could assist you with your project and hope that you keep us in mind for any future needs you may have around your home!

Residential & commercial remodeling - additions, basements, bathrooms, dormers, kitchens, porches & patios, window installation, drywall, electrical, flooring, framing, granite, janitorial, plumbing, asphalt, concrete, flashing, gutters, railing systems, roofing, siding, sprinkler & halon systems.