W E Griffin Roofing

Founded 1931 • With Angi since February 2005

W. E. Griffin Roofing is Maryland’s premiere roofing company. Incorporated in 1931, we have been servicing the D.C. and Maryland areas as a family owned and operated company by putting our customers first. Our quality roofing services focus on our most important friends; home owners and home builders. We look forward to building a lasting friendship with you in order to service all of your roofing needs....

roofing (69)gutter repair (27)gutter cleaning (7)metal fabrication (3)skylight installation (2)roof cleaning (1)chimney repair (1)window replacement (1)

08/12/2019

Linda M.

After years of unsuccessfully addressing water damage around windows in an upstairs room by focusing on the window frames and the brickwork around the windows, I asked W. E. Griffin Roofing (whom I had used previously for relatively minor roofing repairs) to evaluate whether the roof was a factor. Matt Hoffman determined that significant work had to be done including substantially rebuilding two dormers, removing and replacing valleys and flashing, and replacing the roof on the dormers. As in the case of previous and subsequent jobs, Griffin's work crew was very professional and conscientious at all times. They cleared all rubble and tools from the site every day, and the job was started and completed on schedule. In the 4 years since this work was done and the interior water damage repaired, there has been no further sign of water damage in that room. I completely trust the advice I have received from Matt Hoffman over the past 7 years since I first used W. E. Griffin. In addition to the work described above as well as routine preventive maintenance, I have also engaged the company to repair gutters, replace incorrectly installed snow guards, replace failed chimney flashing, fabricate and install catch boxes to prevent leaf blockage of downspouts, as well as routine preventive maintenance. I would recommend them without reservation.

Description of Work
Various roofing repairs since 2012

Work Completed On 07/24/2019

08/06/2019

Jason C.

Griffin Roofing installed a new copper roof beneath our roof deck, reinstalled our roof deck, installed a new copper roof above the bay window walkout, installed new sewage vent pipe flashing, replaced missing/broken slates, install new gutters, and sealed the ridge with asphalt sealant. The crew worked diligently despite the hot weather. Matt was accessible, friendly, and understood our needs. He answered the many questions that I had. The budgeting number they gave us at the outset ended up being the price. They were able to complete the job before my daughters birthday party as they stated they would. I would use them again.

Description of Work
Install new copper roof, rebuilding of rooftop deck, replaces missing/broken slates, install new sewage vent pipe flashing, install new gutters, and seal ridge with asphalt sealant.

07/25/2019

Alan Y.

From start to finish, WE Griffin Roofing did outstanding work. An important aspect as that they are both a roofing company as well as a gutter company, and in our case both sets of expertise were needed. We obtained three bids, and decided to choose WE Griffin because Matt Hoffman gave us such an insightful analysis and estimate of the work needed. We had purchased this house (a 1962 split level) last year, and the gutters were literally falling off their fascia boards and also the fascia boards were coming apart as well. Mr. Hoffman diagnosed that potentially extensive roof repair would also be required, including both the rafter tails as well as the sheeting under the shingles near the edges, and including that work in his estimate along with the gutter and trim replacement. His estimate of the work needed turned out to be very accurate as many of the rafter ends and a whole section of sheeting on the back side were rotted and needed repair/replacement. The crew was similarly excellent; they arrived on site as scheduled and worked tirelessly for nearly 4 days to do all the repair work, replace all the fascia boards, replace some of the missing cladding that had also come off in places, and install a complete set of new gutters. Each day when the crew left they tidied up the site very nicely, and at the end of the project the yard was completely clean. They worked very carefully with a lot of attention to detail. The outcome is that we now have gutters as well as fascia boards and cladding that all look spectacular! We are very pleased with their work.

Description of Work
Main house fascia board and gutter replacement

Category gutter repair, roofing, metal restoration

Work Completed On 07/12/2019

06/20/2019

Gordon B.

They replaced the underlying wood elements are really did it right. You might pay a little more than with others, but they did a superb job. A++ I chose them because they had all top ratings, and I was not disappointed.

Description of Work
Gutter replaced

Category gutter repair

Work Completed On 06/20/2019

09/14/2018

Rebekah C.

Guy came out and spent 5min looking at my gutter and said I needed to clean it once a month and it would solve my problem. Most honest, helpful, and efficient inspection ever and didn't charge me a cent. Call these guys first!

Description of Work
gutter fix

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair

Work Completed On 09/14/2018

08/13/2018

Patricia W.

Great. These guys are simply first-rate. Our entire gutter system needed attention -- missing hangers, gutters sloped the wrong way, etc. We were having constant problems with water in our basement. Two people spent an entire day working all around the house. The next day we had a monsoon-like downpour, it was as though a miracle had happened. Zero water in the basement. We will use them forever in the future.

Description of Work
Gutter repair and realignment

Category gutter repair

Work Completed On 08/03/2018

07/16/2018

David Rodman H.

We had a leak our slate roof that went unnoticed for years. There was extensive damage that was revealed only when they started the repairs. Repairs included replacing the section of slate with copper, replacing roof joists, sheathing, exterior studs, clapboard siding and rebuilding an interior closet. They took care of the full job in very efficient, professional manner.

Description of Work
slate roof repair

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair, roofing

Work Completed On 07/16/2018

05/15/2018

Todd L.

Contacted WE Griffin in the afternoon and they scheduled us the following morning. Matt showed up on time and did a thorough review. Leak was thought to come from plumbing not roof. Rather than having us incur potentially unnecessary cost for work that wouldn’t fix our problem, Matt was honest and very knowledgeable. In addition, no cost for his visit. Although we didn’t pay for any services, our interaction with Matt and WE Griffin has made us customers of theirs for any roof related matters going forward. Would absolutely recommend.

Description of Work
Had a leak in the house and thought it may be coming from roof. Requested someone come out and see if roof was in fact leaking.

05/03/2018

Nadine R.

Very responsive and even if it was a small job they scheduled the repair quickly and everything went very well. Good service, good company.

Description of Work
Replaced some shingles

Work Completed On 05/03/2018

09/13/2017

courtney T.

Easy....found problem and it was fixed a couple hours later.

Description of Work
Very professional, reliable, timely and super honest. I did not need a new roof, just some repairs. I highly recommend W.E. Griffin Roofing!

Work Completed On 08/31/2017

08/18/2017

richard I.

The crew did a suburb job. Once the entire roof was exposed, it turned out that I had lots of rotted wood. It was all replaced, the eave boxes were reconstructed (including painting), and new gutters were installed. The crew was incredibly hard working and, obviously had years of experience. They never left at night without ensuring that everything was sealed tight.. Some nights, they left at 9:30 PM! I ended up with a beautiful job, and now have a roof that will last my lifetime. Highly recommended for high quality work.

Description of Work
Roof replacement, including new underlay plywood.

Work Completed On 08/17/2017

06/05/2017

MARK C.

Turned out to require a lot more work than initially thought.

Description of Work
Initially we only needed to replace a gutter which had developed holes and some loose asphalt shingles. The gutter required fascia work as well. When they were reattaching/replacing the loose shingles in the front of the house, they noticed that previous work done (probably a combination of work done by the previous owner and by my contractor) was substandard, missing flashing, caulking of shingles to the siding, and rotting siding needed attention. The scope of work ballooned significantly as did the cost. I have no reason to doubt the work needed to be done and they sent me photos of the problems they found. It looks much better now and I am more confident that the roof is tight.

Work Completed On 04/10/2017

04/11/2017

Ted F.

They did an excellent job; took off the old roof, replaced the rotten underlying plywood and cleaned up completely. His technicians worked in really cold conditions and stayed until the job was finished. Great work

Description of Work
Replaced a mansard roof over the breakfast area.

Work Completed On 04/11/2017

03/13/2017

Michael S.

The work went well. Matt and his team diagnosed a few other issues and helped rectify the issue to prevent future damage.

Description of Work
I needed slate maintenance done on my house and some new copper flashing installed on my chimney and some other misc. parts of the house.

Work Completed On 02/17/2017

02/15/2017

Patrick G.

I had received a recommendation from a friend re: Griffin Roofing, so I included them among the three contractors I contacted for estimates. From the start I was impressed by the professionalism and no-nonsense approach of Matt Hoffman, the individual who came to inspect my roof and provide an estimate. My existing roof was 20 years old and the plywood sheathing was damaged by moisture intrusion in several areas (visible from the attic). Unlike one of the other contractors, who tried to "sell" me by starting at $30,000 "but if you sign today we can do it for $20,000," Matt was very low key and matter of fact. He pointed out some of the visible issues on the roof and advised me of potential issues once they exposed the plywood sheathing. He provided best case and worst case estimates so there would be no surprises if they had to replace the plywood sheathing. He explained the work schedule and everything that would be included in the price (flashing, debris removal, plywood cost). Matt sent us a link to review the type of shingles and color. Since he impressed us with his professionalism, we trusted his judgement and asked for his recommendation on the shingles. We are extremely pleased with the final result! Matt's crew arrived on schedule and the foreman introduced himself and his crew. They appeared to work almost non-stop in the high July heat and cleaned up all debris before they left each day (we had much of the sheathing replaced, so it was a multi-day job). We were so impressed at the quality of their workmanship in spite of the conditions. Matt kept in contact during the job and after completion. He promptly sent the invoice - there were no surprises, of course - and we were able to pay online via credit card. All in all, we had a great experience with this company and their employees!

Description of Work
Removed and replaced shingle roof including plywood sheathing and flashing. Removed and disposed of all debris.

Work Completed On 08/02/2016

01/23/2017

Caroline S.

Rather than talking me into an entire new roof, which I was prepared to do if necessary, they recommended just replacing a few shingles for a very reasonable cost! The only reason I didn't hire them was that another company (who also just recommended replacing a few shingles) also mentioned that some of the gaskets around pipes were cracked and suggested replacing them also. They showed photos, which clearly showed that they needed replacing (at least from a layman's viewpoint), so I went with them. W E Griffin was quick and efficient with their estimate, and I wouldn't hesitate to call them again.

Description of Work
Roof leaked - wanted estimate to fix.

Work Completed On 01/23/2017

01/21/2017

Becky S.

Matt responded to my request for an estimate and was able to come out within a few days of my request. It was nice to have a representative from a roofing company be willing to do a small repair and to not try to sell me a replacement roof. I ended up hiring another company that gave me a lower estimate, but I believe W. E. Griffin would have done a good job on the repair.

Description of Work
A small portion of our roof needed to be repaired

Work Completed On 01/12/2017

05/13/2016

Gloria C.

It went very well! The sunroom is a safe structure now. MAtt Hoffman, the owner, is a master at his craft -- meticulous and very conscientious professional. I trust him implicitly and would highly recommend him if you have any roofing problems. Of course, I could have gotten someone that could have been cheaper and dealt with the problem superficially. I am glad and feel lucky I found GRiffin roofing. My roof was in a horrible, precarious state . truly, disaster was prevented thanks to mr. HOffman. I HIGHLY recommend this roofing company.

Description of Work
During the last storm, we noticed some leaking in our sunroom. Griffin was the third roofer I called to inspect the roof. Griffin was the one who was able to discover the severe damage a poorly installed roof(10 yrs ago) had done to the whole structure. They practically rebuilt the whole addition since all the wood paneling on the outside was compromised. The repair was very extensive. I can't say enough of Matt Hoffman and his crew - they were life savers.

Work Completed On 04/02/2016

05/11/2016

Gerald D.

Matt came out on time for an early morning review of the problem (which was a leaky garage roof). He explained the pros and cons of repair vs replace. I chose to replace the roof, and he provided a written estimate within a day. He patiently answered my questions, and also discouraged me from choosing unnecessary, more expensive, options (ventilation, more expensive shingles, etc). His crew carefully covered the contents of the garage before beginning removal of the old roof. They were very efficient, and left the sight perfectly neat each night. Installation only took a day, and again, no problems. Job looks great, and garage is dry inside.

Description of Work
Replaced garage roof and designed and installed new gutter system.

Work Completed On 04/04/2016

08/16/2015

Brooke C.

Matt Hoffman inspected the damaged area of the roof and provided a detailed and professional explanation of the work to be done, including the possibility of discovering additional damage once the damaged shingles were removed. The work was accomplished promptly and professionally, and in the event there was no additional damage to be repaired beyond the original estimate. As a result, the work came it at the estimated price. The roofers also cleaned out gutters at no added charge, saving me some additional cost and effort. The inspection of the second area revealed no additional damage, and the roofers replaced the shingles with matching ones where no damage was evident, again keeping within the original budget. I was pleased with the result and recommend W E Griffin for roofing work.

Description of Work
Installed new "W" valleys and replaced damaged roofing shingles. Inspected suspected damage under shingles over separate section.

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair, roofing, roof cleaning

Work Completed On 08/05/2015

05/25/2015

DENNIS O.

They were prompt, diligent, and expert in what they were doing. They gave us an estimate before work began and came in under the estimate. They cleaned up after leaving no evidence they had been there.

Description of Work
Replaced soffits and fascia and gutters, replaced broken roof slates and resealed seams of slate roof on 70-year old house.

Work Completed On 05/14/2015

02/24/2015

Carol D.

They were very courteous and punctual. They left the job site clean each day. We had another contractor there at the same time who works for our company and he remarked that they were doing a professional job.

Description of Work
Replace the roofing on one part of my son's house. I do not recall the price.

Work Completed On 09/30/2014

09/19/2014

Lisa L.

I used Griffin a few years ago to do roof repairs, fix a leak that had water pouring through my kitchen, and install new gutters. They did a wonderful job, were easy to deal with, and were very professional. Last week they came out free of charge to fix a problem with a downspout caused by a gutter cleaner. I highly recommend Griffin.

Description of Work
Fixed a gutter problem caused by a gutter cleaner.

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair, roofing