Oakwood Electric & Generator

Founded 1955 • With Angi since September 2006

Welcome to Oakwood Electric & Generator We might be small, but we’re certainly experienced. We’ve been serving the Western Suburbs of Chicago, IL for years and we look forward to providing you with the best lighting and electrical services in the area. We are third generation electrical contractors and we’ll always be flexible to your scheduling needs! Oakwood Lighting Electric Service is available to assist you with: Panel Upgrades Service Changeouts EV Car Charging Outlets Electrical Troubleshooting Ceiling fans Smoke detectors Landscape lighting Photo-cells Stand-by generators Hanging fixtures Recessed lighting And so much more! When you need quality electrical work done, come to the pros! We hope to become a business you can trust and rely on for life. Call Oakwood Electric & Generator today! Feel free to visit our website, located at the top of this profile, for more information....

Women Owned & OperatedWomen Owned & Operated
LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly
Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

A Service Provider's profile image

+5 more images

electrician (211)lighting (59)generator service (42)ceiling fan installation (25)home inspection (1)

07/07/2022

Matt F.

Completed the job on time and in a day.

Description of Work
Upgrade Electrical Panel

Work Completed On 10/09/2020

06/28/2022

Eric H.

Very good. Project was difficult due to limited space. Juan was determined to get the job done right and he was very professional and friendly.

Description of Work
Electric outlet install

Work Completed On 06/27/2022

06/27/2022

William F.

Juan did an excellent job, on time and on budget. We have used Oakwood Electric for other work in the past and they always do high quality work. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Light switch, wired smoke detector, old ceiling fan removal.

Work Completed On 06/27/2022

06/13/2022

Robin C.

Great. Juan was very personable and professional and answered all my questions. A little pricey, but well worth it for the quality and reliability!

Description of Work
Outlet repair; recessed light repair; advice on replacing kitchen and dining room lighting

Work Completed On 06/13/2022

05/04/2022

Jeff G.

Oakwood has serviced our generator for over 10 years and recently installed an EV charger for my new car. Oakwood always provides excellent quality service and are easy to schedule with and always returns calls. Oakwood is local and has been in business for quite a number of years.

Description of Work
Generator Maintenance and EV charger installation

Category electrician, generator service

Work Completed On 05/03/2022

03/28/2022

Mary S.

For several years I hired Oakwood for yearly Maintenace and part replacement on my whole house generator. Pedro is my go-to technical for home service. He takes the time to explain the problem and what is needed to correct it. He represents the company in a very professional manner. He was very kind in understanding how stressed out I was regarding the potential flooding of my basement if the electricity went out. Tricia follows up on phone calls quickly and provides information I request. She is always pleasant and very helpful. I consider myself lucky to do business with Oakwood and not be tormented by poor customer service. Spending money on service and repairs is never pleasant. However, Pedro and Tricia make me feel like a valued customer. I would recommend Oakwood Generator to anyone.

Description of Work
Part replacement on whole house generator

Work Completed On 03/18/2022

03/28/2022

Joan H.

These two men were fantastic!! Sorry, forgot there names. Part was missing to install. They went and picked part up. Very knowledgeable, friendly, clean and helpful!! Good price also. I would totally recommend this company I called three other companies. These folks are the best. Called me right back. Did the job the next week.

Description of Work
Needed a chandelier hung 16 ft high.

Work Completed On 03/21/2022

02/25/2022

Gary O.

I needed to replace a ceiling light in my bathroom. The light has been there since we moved in. (1993) This sounds like a simple thing take down the old light and replace with the new. Nothing is ever that simple. Arvy, the technician, while taking down the old light fixture discovered that there was no junction box in the ceiling where the light fixture is. This was not up to code and he had to put a junction box in. His concern was that he would have to cut a large whole in the ceiling that would require replastering the ceiling. He then when back to his shop came back with a bracket and a junction box. He was able to put up the bracket and the junction box with minimal trimming of the hole. Once he put up the new light the whole in the ceiling was covered by the fixture. Great job Arvy ! This is why I will always use Oakwood Lighting for all my electrical needs. Plus as an Agie's List member I saved a chunk of money as Oakwood was running a deal on new light fixture installations.

Description of Work
Replacing a light fixture

Work Completed On 02/25/2022

We love to hear such nice feedback. Especially from such a long time customer. Thanks for sharing. We will pass it on to our team.

02/02/2022

Tara T.

From getting an initial quote to installing our baseboard heaters, everything was super professional. I loved getting an email to confirm the quote and a confirmation when the work was to be done. Workers were super professional and work was great! Don’t hesitate to hire!

Description of Work
Baseboard heater

Work Completed On 02/01/2022

01/20/2022

Lauren B.

From start to finish Oakwood Electric was professional, knowledgeable, hard working and clean! We have hired them now on three separate occasions and would hire them again!

Description of Work
Exhaust fan installed, ceiling fans and recessed lighting installed

Category electrician, lighting, ceiling fans

Work Completed On 01/19/2022

Thanks for the nice review! We love happy customers.

01/06/2022

Steve N.

Electrician was very polite, respectful, and professional. We are very pleased with his work. Reasonably priced.

Description of Work
Installed Ceiling Fan, Light Fixture, Switch, and outlets

Category electrician, lighting, ceiling fans

Work Completed On 12/28/2021

Thank you so much for the nice review!

12/01/2021

Brandon S.

Oakwood came out the next day and fixed our panel problem. Chris was very helpful and informative.

Description of Work
Electrical Panel Repair

Work Completed On 11/22/2021

11/05/2021

Ronald W.

Exceeded expectations. Chris was very professional. He explained all the work and I understood what had to be done. He got additional help from Kenneth. The work was done faster than I expected. I will definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Electrical

Work Completed On 11/05/2021

10/26/2021

Nancy D.

Fantastic, great technician and very hard worker. Even went back to office to get an additional part and had to custom fit one light fixture.

Description of Work
Installation of new LED lighting to replace outdated florescent lighting

Work Completed On 10/26/2021

10/06/2021

Rob S.

Excellent. We highly recommend Chris and Ken. They are professional, punctual, responsive, polite, prepared, and clean up after themselves upon completion of work. Big Thank You to Chris and Ken and the service provided. We will be calling them again as we determine new projects! Excellent, thank you.

Description of Work
Rough in electrical to install ceiling fans in (5) rooms. Outlets wires up correctly. Closet light fixtures repaired or replaced. Switches added to closets for light fixtures. Switches added for lights and fan functionality. Corrected numerous issues that were brought to our attention via a recent home inspection. Cleaned up the main breaker panel and inspected root cause of oxidation.

Category electrician, home inspection, lighting, ceiling fans

Work Completed On 10/06/2021

08/25/2021

Chris C.

I purchased a Generac 22 KW whole-house generator from Oakwood Electric and Generator in October of 2020. With the supply chain issues, they could not install the generator until March. Last week the generator was exercising (which it does once a week for 5 minutes) when it literally BLEW UP (see pictures). This week Oakwood sent their tech out to look at the machine. And, after doing a 10-minute visual inspection he said, "I have no idea what caused this." However, though they have “no idea” what cause the explosion, they think everything will be just fine if they replace the damaged parts (instead of replacing the whole machine). They ordered the parts damaged by the explosion. So put yourself in my shoes: • You spend 10K on a new generator so you can have Peace of Mind in case of emergency. • The thing blows up after 5 months of operation. • The vendor you bought it from refuses to do anything more than replace those parts visible damaged by the explosion. • Then, every time there is a storm, you get to wonder and worry whether the generator will perform to standard if the power fails. You get to wonder and worry about whether your basement will flood if the generator doesn't work. The folks at Oakwood said, "We can't prevent your machine from failing." They also told me if I wasn't happy with their service, I could work with another Generac contractor (right - because they don't want to deal with the warranty work)! The lady at Oakwood sent me a copy of the warranty and told me to "call Generac" if I was not happy – which I have done. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR - BUY THE KOHLER! It's a little more expensive, but my brother has had a Kohler for 20 years and never had these kinds of problems. Generac is cheap (plastic) and the company does not stand behind their product. I have nothing else to say about Oakwood.

Description of Work
Purchase and Installation of Generac Whole House Generator

Category electrician, generator service

Work Completed On 08/25/2021

Review for Oakwood Electric & Generator - 237 N. Cass Avenue, Westmont, IL - 39453040

It is unfortunate that this customer has chosen to damage our reputation over an issue with his generator that is not in our control. I am going to respond here with facts so the reader can come to their own conclusion. We sell, service and install Generac Generators but don't manufacture them. We would love it if they would never break, it would make our lives so much easier. But unfortunately, any machine can break. It's an unavoidable problem. We came out the very same day the customer contacted us to troubleshoot the issue. The customers generator did not explode, that is inaccurate. The fan of machine was damaged and pieces of the fan were found in the [Member Information Removed]. We ordered the parts for repair as soon as we could. The customer was demanding a replacement generator. Generac won't replace a generator that is repairable, no matter how angry or upset a customer is. We sent him the warranty statement as a reference item for him. We never stated that we didn't want to do warranty work. We do it all of the time for all of our customers and are happy to. Thank you for taking the time to read our explanation of the situation.

04/12/2021

JANET A.

The task initially thought was simple but not. Kevin has great problem solving skills and was able to detect the root cause quickly. We highly recommend this company and we will hire them for our future needs.

Description of Work
Remove and replace light fixtures

Work Completed On 04/12/2021

Thank you very much for the kind review! We look forward to working with you in the future.

11/23/2020

Jim O.

fantastic experience and we are really picky and have a big house so it was also a complicated job and they did it perfect. very satisfied

Description of Work
had two generators installed for my house

Work Completed On 11/23/2020

09/23/2020

William W.

The company did give me an estimated: they wanted to charge me an extra 200 dollars for a ladder (some fixtures were about 20 feet obove ground), fan was 14 feet above ground. I thought this charge was preposterous. Used another service who did not charge.

Description of Work
Fan Replaced, two outdoor fixtures replaced.

Category ceiling fans

Work Completed On 09/23/2020

We did not complete any work for this customer. We only provided pricing over the telephone. It is unfortunate that he chose to leave a review when no work was completed.

09/07/2020

Barbara W.

Made sure outlets were safe and I got exactly what I wanted, very experienced electrician. I would definitely hire again.

Description of Work
Change some damaged outlet

Work Completed On 09/07/2020

07/20/2020

Bryan K.

I hired Oakwood to remove and replace an old electrical panel in a house I was remodeling. They responded quickly and their price was fair. They were able to start the work quickly and they were on time and polite. I plan to hire them again for additional work.

Description of Work
Remove/Replace Old Electrical Panel

Work Completed On 07/19/2020

Thank you for the review [Member Name Removed]! We look forward to working with you again.

07/16/2020

michael K.

Great. Very easy company to do business with. I would not hesitate to recommend them to a friend or relative

Description of Work
generator plus installation

Work Completed On 07/16/2020

We appreciate the kind words Mr. [Member Name Removed]!

07/11/2020

Bob U.

Excellent!! Pedro gave me a complete rundown on how the generator works and what I need to do to keep it running right.

Description of Work
New standby generator