Columbine Design

Founded 1985 • With Angi since October 2005

4.3

1300 W Quincy Ave

Englewood, CO 80110

With innovation, sustainable practices and extreme attention to detail backed by over 25 years of experience, you get unmatched service and style from Columbine Design. Let us guide you through the next generation of landscaping by incorporating technical, horticultural and artistic elements as tools that bring to life the unique nature of each design to create evolving, inspiring and meaningful spaces. We understand that a successful landscape is one that is truly enjoyed. The outdoor environments we create are personalized and artistic representations of our clients’ lifestyle and our design and maintenance programs answer the needs of their daily lives....

05/03/2018

Marcia B.

The landscape designer, Kim, was nice to work with. She has since left the company. The work was done a little over 18 months ago, the job was scheduled and moved along at a reasonable pace. The workmanship was average. There were random repairs that I had to make myself after the work - replacing downspouts from gutters that were flattened by heavy machinery/traffic, a screen that was damaged, two aspen trees died. There has been some settling of the patio pavers since which is why I feel compelled to review the work. Two shrubs have died - boxwoods. I don't think they were a very good plant selection, but I did not object. The company no longer offers annual services to activate and shut off sprinklers. Overall, the patio design is great and I enjoy the new space.

Description of Work
Backyard patio and redesign

Category landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems

Thank you for your review, we take all feedback seriously. I would like to offer our most sincere apology on behalf of our company, that your experience was not above average. We were unaware that you were having problems and would like to help. Your patio is under warranty and we are happy to remedy the settling. Please contact us directly at 303.419.5906 to set up a time to take a look and check in on any other items.

04/10/2017

Susan B.

Our designer developed a very nice plan.

Description of Work
Columbine developed a landscape plan for us.

10/01/2013

Ellen G.

The manager takes very good care of me. They provide a good quality service.

Description of Work
They mow our lawn on a weekly basis. They come in and blow the leaves and grass. They weed eat as well.

08/26/2013

Beverly B.

08/19/2013

William H.

We have had them doing this for three years, they work hard and do a very good job. Coming back tomorrow to tear-up bad sod, 900 sq ft and put in new soil and re-seed - $900. They come every two weeks to weed.

Description of Work
Weeded and dead-headed

07/12/2013

Ellen G.

He is an absolute asset. I told Scott who is the owner of the company that if it weren't for Freddy we probably wouldn't be working with them. I have had such great experience with Freddy. He's got great ideas he's not a landscape designer, but they do have a landscape designer. I did meet with the landscape designer but I have to tell you when the designer came over to meet with me the first time he brought this gentleman Freddy and if this landscape designer had not brought Freddy I would not probably have gone with them because the landscape designer was all high faluting (SP) and I'm not a high faluting (SP) kind of person. Freddy was like we have to get these flowers and I was like I want color and I want butterflies and I want bees and I want birds and I want what ever you have in the garden Freddy had all the ideas. Freddy was the one who had the information about flowers and shrubs and things like that. Whereas the landscape designer was more concerned with drawing the pretty pictures. And that's not what I needed necessarily. They send me out something in the winter and you can check off the services that you want. I get from them, I personally get spring clean up and then the weekly lawn stuff and then four times a year or whatever where they come in and they fertilize. Every time they come they spray for weeds and stuff like that.

Description of Work
Columbine Design have done a lot of work for me. There is a guy that works for them his name is Freddy Fernandez and he is like the general manager. He is terrific. He has been incredibly responsive. We had this old pond that broke, it had fish when we bought the house. It just broke and oh my God I don't want the fish to die. The water is leaking I don't know what to do. He didn't have to do that, he came over and figured out how to keep the fish alive and then the whole pond had to be ripped out and we had a new pond put in. It's stunning. I redesigned the whole front of my house in all rocks and plants and stuff. They do maintenance of my lawn and fertilization.

Category landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, lawn treatment

02/18/2013

James H.

I used Columbine Design on a prepaid contract for yard maintenance work. Mid summer I cancelled the contract and fired them because the work performed was unsatisfactory. After several communications, (including those with the Better Business Bureau), Mister Huston, the owner, stalled and stalled and to date has not returned the almost $2000.00 for the unused portion of the contract. This was my original complaint. On a separate deal in the same time frame, Columbine Design did not return for three weeks in mid summer to finish the irrigation system around a fire pit installation allowing mature ground cover to be reused to wilt and die while we were away. They then charged me to replace it with a different plant to replace it. They were informed upfront I had a backyard event coming up. To top it all off I was sent a final invoice before a final inspection certificate was issued by the proper entity. Of note: The Owners of Columbine Design last year completed the purchase of Birdsall & Company in Denver. Do not use this company and definitely do NOT pay them in advance!!

Description of Work
Yard maintenance and Fire pit installation.

Category landscaping, lawn service, hardscaping

01/28/2013

Isadora B.

I have used Columbine Design for spring and fall clean-up and sprinkler activation since we bought our home several years ago. They were really good at first but the last few times they have not been as good. Last spring I had to call them back out to have them re-do a few things and do some things they neglected. I was charged extra. They are very expensive and for the price I expect more. They are very responsive via phone and their business office is very professional. You may be able to find more bang for your buck.

Description of Work
I have used Columbine Design for spring and fall clean-up and sprinkler activation, including pruning, leaf removal, mulch redistribution, rose bush maintenance and sprinkler repair.

Category landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, mulch

03/23/2012

dorothy V.

They did a great job of cleaning up. The price included the mulch. Their landscape company was extremely good and I get what I paid for.

Description of Work
I used Columbine Design to do some mulching, topsoil, pruning, cut back shrubs, weed and they cut the dead wood from all the rose bushes. They also did a part of the drive way so far as to pulling up the edging. That was an extra car spot with rocks which they cleaned all that up. On the giant pine tree they blow out all the dried prunes and took everything away.

Category landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment, mulch

03/09/2012

dorothy V.

We are new to Denver and a friend recommended them for fall cleanup. They brought sufficient number or workers so they were efficient and did a great job. Pleasant to work with.

Description of Work
Fall cleanup: raking leaves in yard and blowing leaves out of gutters, some pruning, blowing patio. Large yard.

Category lawn service, hardscaping

09/21/2011

MaryLou B.

see above

Description of Work
We had a fairly complete renovation of our 20-year-old landscape done by Columbine Design. The owner, Scott Huston and landscape architect, Greg Banks visited my property, listened to my desires and concerns and made some initial guiding suggestions. Based on this very positive impression, I decided to employ them for the project. They were sensitive and responsive to my ideas and my budget. Greg Banks was a delight to work with. His ideas were fantastic. He prepared a complete set of plans for the project for our initial review and then a second set when we had finalized our plan and what we wanted them to do. The work began on schedule and was completed on time. The results have greatly surpassed our expectations! Columbine was very responsive and professional to work with. They even identified an area of the project which could be modified to save us some money. Their commitment to the project was solid throughout. I would definitely hire them again for future work.

07/26/2011

James H.

They were to maintain the yard, other than mowing/edging. They were to take care of our beds, and vegetable garden. This included weeding and general maintenance. They did not do as promised, I was unhappy with what they had done and sent them a letter to request the remaining amount back to me (approx $1982). He continued to stall. I had used them for 5 years previous, which they had rushed right over in the past. They continued to apologize and stall, but never returned any money to me. His attitude is that he will show up and do work, but not pay me back. With unsatisfactory work, I don't want them doing it. I just want the money back. My Response to the Company Response: Columbine Design by their failure to perform their work properly the first time committed the first breach. I was unhappy with their service and simply wanted a refund. After much stalling by the owner I simply gave up because all they wanted to do was simply renew the contract and come back to finish the unsatisfactory work. The reason for no prior complaints is because prior to this they had sent over repair crews time and time again. After so many times of coming back and "I'm Sorry's", enough is enough. In my experience, they have not acted in good faith. Hire at your own risk and do not prepay this company!

Description of Work
I had a maintenance contract with them, with no penalty clause for pre-payment if the season doesn't work out.

Category landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems

Prior to this client's request to be refunded monies, we had no history of verbal or written complaints from her that our maintenance services had ever been poor or unsatisfactory. I have asked the clients several times for examples how our service was unsatisfactory and none were provided. I answered all written correspondence timely and repeatedly stated that we were standing by to resume services and encouraged to meet with them or at least have a phone conversation in an attempt to resolve the issue, but to no avail. The clients were in breach of contract because we were not permitted back on the premises, preventing Columbine Design from performing our contract obligations and therefore the clients are not entitled to a refund.

07/22/2011

Brian T.

My initial impressions of Columbine Design were very good - they developed excellent landscaping plans for a significant residential project. We did a total design and installation of perennial flowers, plants, trees and shrubs - the single most expensive project we completed outside the home purchase itself. The Project Designer was very experienced, but, in my opinion, did not select plants that was appropriate for our property. By way of example, the designer selected several bushes that although attractive and did not require significant water, attracted bees during the spring and summer - now my children are afraid of parts of the yard because they have been stung so many times. The project manager was very good - delivered the project on time and on budget. My frustration with Columbine Design is in the follow-up and follow-through AFTER the project was completed. We had several plants that died after installation - although we had a 1 year warranty, after several replacements, they would no longer replace the plants. We installed 4 crawling vines - not ONE ever took root and grew as planned. After several attempts to adjust for proper flow, the installed drip irrigation system appears continues to have problems properly watering. Most disapointing, I recently reached out to the founder of Columbine Design, Scott Huston in the spring of this year to ask if he could come back to the property to evaluate the installed plant materials and provide recommendations to resolve some of the problems. Scott visited the property and said that the plat material selection was good and didn't recommend any changes. The property has 5 individual areas where the plants have died and Scott provided no recommendations on how to solve the problem? After being a strong supporter of Columbine Design, I can no longer recommend their services.

Description of Work
Completed landscape design for entire property, including a stone patio, pergola. Designed / Installed large selection of perennial flowers, plants, bushes and trees. Designed / Installed exterior perimeter fence. Designed / installed custom landscape lighting Designed / installed underground irrigation system

12/13/2010

dorothy V.

They were very easy to deal with and were straightforward on their pricing. I was pleased with their work.

Description of Work
At the last minute my gardener dissapeared so I called them up to do a fall clean up in my yard.

11/23/2010

Herb H.

I had cut ties with them. But then, they called me for winterizing the scrapers and since they had done the installation earlier, I could trust them to do the winterization of the system. The cost was $80 per yard. Their customer service was not great but their quality of work seemed great.

Description of Work
I have used the services of Columbine Design a month ago for landscaping. I used them for the scraper winterization in my yard.

Category lawn service, irrigation systems

09/17/2010

James F.

We have an ongoing relationship with them. We have been pleased with their services. The service is good but the pricing is a little on the high side.

Description of Work
We use Columbine Design to do our lawn. They do our mowing and trim our bushes.

08/18/2010

KEITH J.

First guy I dealt with was very quick about scheduling things and getting everything set up for the weeding/trimming. The irrigation guy was busier and harder to get a hold of and harder to schedule with. Everyone I dealt with showed up on time, acted professionally, and did great work.

Description of Work
Had two services done. First was a late spring clean-up, weeding and trimming all of the rock gardens for $450 initially, followed by regular garden maintenance every two weeks for an ongoing $200 each visit - a little pricy for that last bit. Second was installing/extending the irrigation system already in place for the lawn to the gardens, which was reasonably priced and works great.

Category lawn service, irrigation systems

02/12/2010

James F.

It went well. We were very pleased with the design they developed for us, and they have maintained the lawn since. We have been very happy.

Description of Work
They did both lawn and yard work and landscaping.

12/16/2009

DANI B.

They are absolutely wonderful. It is an insurance plan and they negotiated it perfectly for me. I have gravel between my grass and the road. A truck will dig up the gravel into 22 inch hole and tear up the rock border to my grass. That is what they are going to replace for me. They are landscaping architects and they deserve every dime they charge. They are very professional, they are doing what they said they are going to do and I am extremely impressed by them.

Description of Work
I got the negotiation for the hardscaping work by Columbine Design and they came out about a month ago.

Category hardscaping

12/15/2009

Julie B.

They did fine. They had a good online process for setting up the reservation. I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I used Columbine Design. They came out and did aeration and fertilization. They plugged a couple of holes in the grass. It is a one time thing.

Category lawn treatment

10/05/2009

Richard B.

Jeromy was exceptionally attentive and work with us to coordinate the install of an irrigation system to accompany the new landscaping. He proved to be friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. His presentation of himself and his company through his materials and personal dedication to ensuring successful completion of the project is exemplary.

Description of Work
Created a new landscape plan for our property including a layout map and photographs of plants as they would appear in difference seasons. Removed existing steel edging and dead lawn, removed dead plants and trees, created beds in front and along side of house, added a range of plants across front, side, and back yards. Added boulders and mulch, rebuilt rock walls, pruned and trimmed existing plants, replaced dying aspen with two new aspen.

Category landscaping

Thank you for your comments and feedback. I will pass them along to Jeromy and the crew who worked on your project. They will all appreciate the compliments.

09/02/2009

Herb H.

Their design was superior but their maintenance and follow up work is not that good. Their pricing is on the higher side.

Description of Work
They did the landscaping for me and they also do the maintenance work.

Category landscaping

I believe everything was resolved to your satisfaction. If you still have concerns, as always contact us and we will do our best to fix whatever problem may linger. Your comments are very valuable to us and we take them seriously. This attitude is what has allowed us to keep getting better at what we do, which is giving our clients a product they will enjoy for years to come. Thank you for your trust and for doing business with us.

09/05/2007

MICHELE A.

This company has won awards before and the work that they have done in my backyard is high quality. The crew worked really hard day in and day out. The head designer was so creative and very helpful as well. I would recommend them to anyone who needs a good landscaping service.

Description of Work
Columbine Design redid our 3000 square foot backyard with a new grape harbor and a new raised vegetable bed. They also leveled the rest of the yard. The job took about 1 week to complete.

Category landscaping

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS. IT WAS A PLEASURE TO WORK WITH YOU. PLEASE CALL US IF YOU NEED OUR SERVICES IN THE FUTURE.

10/05/2005

LORI F.

THE LANDSCAPE DESIGNER CAME TO THE HOUSE SEVERAL TIMES TO DISCUSS IDEAS AND MAKE SUGGESTIONS. WHEN WE AGREED ON THE WORK TO BE DONE, IT WAS SCHEDULED QUICKLY AND PERFORMED ON TIME TO MY SATISFACTION. THE PRICING WAS A LITTLE STEEP, BUT THE PROFESSIONALISM WAS WORTH THE EXPENSE.

Description of Work
THEY DID SOME LANDSCAPE RENOVATION. INSTALLED 4 YARDS OF FIBER MULCH, BACK FILLED A RAISED BED, REMOVED TWO SHRUBS AND INSTALLED A ROSE BUSH AND A CLIMBING VINE. THEY TRIMMED AND PRUNED SEVERAL ROSE BUSHES AND REMOVED A DEAD ASPEN TREE.

Category landscaping

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS. WE ENJOYED WORKING WITH YOU, PLEASE CALL IF YOU NEED OUR SERVICES IN THE FUTURE.