Caldwell Construction & Handyman Svcs

Founded 2013 • With Angi since November 2014

Caldwell Construction is a full service construction Co. that specializes in small to medium construction projects. We are not available for same day requests, nor yard cleanup and gardening. We do require an estimate for all work before we schedule a project. For over 19 years, we have been providing quality handyman and construction services. We have the expertise and experience you need and the name you can trust....

Closet Addition off of Loft

+3 more images

handyman (60)drywall (15)interior painting (13)door installation (12)house painting (11)electrician (10)woodworking (8)siding companies (7)fence company (6)general contractors (6)plumbers (5)lighting (5)

06/21/2020

JOHN O.

Quote was about three times what it should have been.

Description of Work
5 fence posts replaced

Category garage builders

Work Completed On 06/21/2020

07/26/2019

Andrea P.

Caldwell Construction and Handyman Services took care of a problem with a window and did not charge me. I was not there when he repaired it so he called me immediately upon completion to give me the report. Thanks for the great service!

Description of Work
Window repair

Work Completed On 07/25/2019

05/09/2019

Anne H.

The team did a great job. kept the yard secure after hours, and the finished product is simply beautiful. A high quality job and was totally competitive with the price I received from a Fences only company. I had contracted for the removal of an arbor and door framing that had dry rot. The finished product is perfect, they matched the paint perfectly. I highly recommend this team, and look forward to having them do my next project.

Description of Work
a new fence

Category fencing, handyman service, house painters

Work Completed On 03/11/2019

01/15/2019

Rebecca R.

Caldwell did an outstanding job. They were responsive and communicative throughout the bidding process and in performing the work. We will definitely keep them in mind for future work and recommend this company to others.

Description of Work
They replaced a section of drywall that had water damage and they re-textured and painted the area to match the rest of the room.

Category drywall, handyman service, interior painters

Work Completed On 01/14/2019

12/07/2018

Michael F.

First of all, they are very expensive. I needed two sections of drywall repaired that were a maximums of 6 inches by 6 inches. The estimate was $789.00. At first I laughed this off as a contractor who had more work then he could handle at the time, and so created an absurd invoice. Unfortunately, the work was being done is in a rental house that I own and the tenants are inconvenienced every time that I have a contractor creating an estimate. I decided against my better judgement to go with someone who is ridiculously priced but had good reviews. Bad idea. After they completed the work they added another $110.76 for a "materials" fee, which was not added to the previous invoice. $798.00 is absurd for 3 hours of work and $20 in materials. (I know this because I have do this myself.) $890.76 is criminal.

Description of Work
Drywall repair

Category contractors, drywall, handyman service, interior painters

Work Completed On 12/07/2018

Caldwell construction takes pride in doing quality work and receiving good reviews. We are sad to see the review you left us. We would like to reply to this review to explain our point of view. We did a in home estimate and provided a fair estimate in a timely matter. The first day of the job we showed up to discover that some of the work to be preformed had already been completed. We had to send home one of our employees. By law we had to pay him four hours for showing up. Understanding this happened from time to time we absorbed this cost in the job. All the other work was done with high quality and on schedule. The renters of this house called us to complement our professional employees and overall product, stating everything looks great and they are happy. We finished this job at 3:30 in the afternoon and came into the office to see a bad review at 9am the next morning. The owner of the house who lives in another state was not happy with the price of the job and stated we are charging for items not complete. We were not given a change to tell him we would be happy to lower the price due to less work being done. We reached out to him immediately to discuss this and offer the discount he deserved. After weeks of little to no communication we finally lowered the price and sent another invoice. To this day we still have not received any payments or communication on how to come to a fair resolution. Regarding the complaint of materials, our contract clearly stats materials are separate then labor.

05/10/2018

Bridget E.

They did a great job and were very responsive. Looks great! Will hire them for the next project.

Description of Work
Bathroom and kitchen update

Category flooring contractor, handyman service, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 04/23/2018

05/02/2018

Raenette E.

The workers were timely, friendly and willing to do extra small jobs. They did an outstanding job. The paint lines were impeccable (Thanks Mike), and the cleanup was thorough. The only reason that I did not provide all A's for this company is due to poor communication between (S), the workers and us. (S) arrived and gave us a reasonable price, told us that if the job was not completed that day, then we could have the workers back to finish on the next work day. The workers and I agreed that a second day was necessary. However, when they were ready to return on the next working day, they were reassigned and we were left to try to make other arrangements with the office for another date. This caused a ripple effect of rescheduling other jobs around the condo. (S) did not take responsibility for the miscommunication, but the office staff was great about resolving our problem and my feelings.

Description of Work
painting and paint touch ups throughout condo, silicon calking in kitchen, installing carbon monoxide detectors

Work Completed On 03/02/2018

03/27/2018

Patricia A.

This was a major remodel, it required new support piers under the hour, walls removed and new walls, the kitchen underwent an extensive remodel and a new bathroom was added. Caldwell had profeesional and courteous employees and kept to the original schedule and estimate. I will use them in the future.

Description of Work
Remodel of kitchen, laundry room and added a full bathroom.

Category drywall, electrician, handyman service, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, water heater repair, replacement windows, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 03/27/2018

12/14/2017

Heather S.

It was fantastic! They came a month prior and gave an estimate, were right on target and didn't charge for anything else. They showed up on time and got right to work. They were just the nicest bunch of people. They did such a nice job, the front of the house looks so natural now. I can't say enough good things about them and we will definitely be calling them again for anything we need.

Description of Work
They repaired a screen door, a mirrored wardrobe door, some siding on the front of the house, some dry-rot and rehung a flower box.

Category handyman service, siding, doors

Work Completed On 10/09/2017

Thank you, [Member Name Removed], for the wonderful review. We are glad you were happy with our service. We hope we can help you in the future with any other projects you may have. The crew said you were really nice to work with as well. Thank you again, William Caldwell, Owner

07/19/2017

Donna M.

Joe and his son Joe showed up on time and we discussed what was going to be done. Joe Sr. asked me since the backsplash was going to be white did I want to change the outlets and switches from ivory to white which I did. He said he would take care of it. Took a couple of hours for all of the supplies and the new granite to be picked up and then they started the demo. of the kitchen. Next day I was informed that since Joe Sr was the only one in the company who knew how to cut granite he was being sent to another project but would return to continue work on my kitchen. Two hours later he did and worked on cutting and installing the granite. Another worked cleaned the cabinets with the Restore A Finish. I received a call later in the day from the owner William Caldwell who informed me that Joe Sr was going to be sent to another project and others would finish the work. The next day I had two workers replacing the threshold and front porch post, the plumber showed up but because two workers where installing the backsplash he couldn't hook up the dishwasher so he said he would return the following day. Because of the schedule Caldwell Construction brought in Corinthian Tile and Stone to install the backsplash and the two men did a great job. The plumber returned the next day and installed the dishwasher. The only complaint I have is about the outlets and switches. When I asked William Caldwell about installing them he said it wasn't part of the contract and would have to be done at another time. He said he would give me a good price. Two weeks later I called and said I would like to set up an appointment to have the outlets and switches replaced and that Joe Sr had already purchased the items so I had everything here. The office said she would check the schedule and call me back. She didn't call back so I called again the next day and spoke with Steven the field manager who said they were too busy with two new kitchens they were working on and said he couldn't pull anyone away for a day to take care of it. He said he would speak with William Caldwell and call me back. He didn't. I hired Jones Electric who came out and in less than an hour replaced the outlets and switches.

Description of Work
Installed new front door threshold and replaced a rotted post on the front porch. Main project was to update the kitchen. Removed the old kitchen counter top, sink and oven. They installed new granite counter tops, sink, faucet and new electric range. They cleaned the cabinets with Restore A Finish. Installed a new subway tile backsplash.

Cost $4,555.42

Work Completed On 06/30/2017

05/08/2017

Linda O.

Set up an appointment for them to come out and give us an estimate. The day before, they called with a reminder. The day of they called prior to arriving to advise us what time they would be there. Their rep was very professional, friendly, and courteous. I would have hired them but because we were sharing the cost of the job with our next door neighbor, she decided she wanted to go with a company that repaired her daughter's fence.

Description of Work
Remove and place 4 wood posts on back yard fence. Remove and reinstall fencing panels after new posts installed. Remove and replace one 2x4 piece from back fence.

Category fencing, handyman service

Work Completed On 04/14/2017

05/08/2017

Cesar P.

Unresponsive. Left me waiting for them. Confirmed the appointment, and did not called to cancel. I waited over a month for them to come only to be stood up. VERY unprofessional.

Description of Work
22 reviews 1.0 star rating 5/8/2017 I asked them for a bid over a month ago for some work regarding dry rot on the exterior of the second story of my home. Provided details and a photo and I was told they would do an estimate on May 8 between 9 and 10 am. I waited a whole month. They called me on the 5th to confirm the appointment. They did not come. When I called at 10:30 am May 8th to find out what was going on, the receptionist informed me, after checking with the supervisor, that they had decided not to do the estimate, as they would need a special machine and their bid would be too high. The receptionist did not know the supervisor had made this decision (apparently at the last minute). No one called to cancel. If they do this for an estimate, what makes you think they will come on time after you have signed a contract? As usual, the poor receptionist had to apologize for the supervisor's lack of professional judgement.

Category handyman service, siding, replacement windows, house painters

Work Completed On 05/08/2017

05/04/2017

Jeffry V.

Gutters were repair to my satisfaction in under 2 hours.

Description of Work
Gutter repair

Category handyman service, roofing

Work Completed On 05/04/2017

05/04/2017

Brandon C.

I was lucky to have my job scheduled in between rainy and dry periods and got the job scheduled before the summer season got going. Steven, the estimator & project manager, communicated extremely well and was very reliable. The woodwork was done quickly by highly skilled carpenters. There were several days of waiting the rain out, but that was unavoidable. Painting prep took several days because of the poor condition of the weathered surfaces. There were a lot of stucco cracks that had to be sanded down that I had put caulk over originally. There was additional work done after more dry rot was discovered on my garage roof. The price and little extras of the job was extremely fair.

Description of Work
I needed a lot of paint prep after several years of neglect. This included replacing gable siding from dry rot, replacing some inadequate flashing that caused a minor roof leak, a wooden window frame, stucco patching, detached garage painting and trim replacement, and some garage roof dry rot from incompletely installed gutters. Exterior painting of house and garage.

Category handyman service, roofing, siding, woodworking, stucco, house painters

Work Completed On 04/25/2017

05/01/2017

Bryan J.

Waiting to determine if insurance will cover repairs.

Description of Work
Only received a quote, but he was quick to respond and gave a fair price.

Work Completed On 05/01/2017

04/10/2017

Diana C.

They were good. It's only been three weeks and the patio hasn't fallen down. They were punctual. There was a total of three guys and it took two and a half days to complete. They left the area beautifully. They were responsive, pleasant, and they did a darn good job.

Description of Work
They sort of re-constructed my back patio. I had a lot of dry rot.

Work Completed On 03/20/2017

03/31/2017

Dee B.

I received a quote for $229 to replace the track. Nothing was said about "plus parts". Maybe I am just inexperienced at this but I feel an estimate should include cost of parts or other incidentals that may increase the cost or at least be forewarned that the quote doesn't include it, isn't that why we ask for estimates? Also when the guys came out to fix it I asked them to take a look at the rollers and asked if they could be replaced as well since the door is getting old. I was told it's a good thing because the rollers had disintegrated. They had to leave the house to buy the parts, I understand this for the rollers since I was under the impression they weren't needed but the track should have been in their possession when they came to my house. Fortunately it Didn't take extra time as one guy stayed behind and was cleaning the track, just seemed inefficient to me. Also when I offered my VIsa I was told they have a 2.7%-4% charge for using it. I have never heard of this before! I opted to write a check just because I don't like the idea of being charged to use my card. Not cheap, just on retirement income so it all counts. Now as far as the work goes, the door seems to work very well. The men were on time and quite friendly and appeared knowledgeable. I have no complains as far as the work or the men goes. I'm not sure I would use again, but if I did I would want to know cost of labor and parts and I would like to be told if there's going to be an upcharge to use my card before doing the work. It may be a small amount but does not sit well with me. I'm not buying gasoline, I'm repairing something that is broken.

Description of Work
I called for estimate to replace the rollers on my sliding door. When the estimator came out I was told I needed a new track for my sliding door, not rollers.

Category handyman service, doors

Work Completed On 03/31/2017

03/30/2017

Kellie M.

It was good. I went with a specific painter and that is all they did, where as Caldwell Construction does numerous things.

Description of Work
They just game me an estimate on interior painting, no work was done.

Category interior painters

03/27/2017

Isla C.

The end product looks great. The price was a bit higher than the initial estimate but we did figure it may be when they dig into the actual damage. We are extremely happy that everything is set well and looks well. The only issue we had was the down spout on the second floor was bent during the reinstall. It is new and color matched to the house and roof. They were punctual and kept us informed of the entire process. Will use again.

Description of Work
California storm hit us hard. Left the front of the house on two main panels, destroyed. They pulled and replaced the siding, insulation, water guard and painted the window trim, and painted the new siding.

Category handyman service, siding, house painters

Work Completed On 02/13/2017

03/20/2017

Ann K.

Excellent. Quick response time & quality workmanship

Description of Work
Repair kitchen ceiling drywall due to upstairs toilet leak

Category drywall, handyman service

Work Completed On 01/05/2017

02/20/2017

Gary S.

they did a very good job in a timely manner.

Description of Work
side fence replaced

Category fencing, handyman service

Work Completed On 10/18/2016

12/27/2016

Michael S.

Tim got back to me within twenty-four hours and scheduled a brief inspection after which we set up an appointment to have the work done. It went beautifully. Tim and his help, Mario, were prompt, respectful of my space, efficient, fast and ridiculously professional. They even did a great job with the clean-up. The entire job took less than half a day and, best of all, the ceiling shows no signs of having had a patch job.

Description of Work
There had been a leak in the plumbing in the bathroom directly above mine. As a result, after the plumbing repairs were completed I needed to have a section of my ceiling torn out, replaced with sheetrock, plastered, taped, sanded and then have the ceiling completely repainted. Your basic patch job which, when finished, often looks like a patch job.

Category drywall, handyman service, interior painters