Cal Preserving

Founded 1987 • With Angi since August 2006

Super Service Award Winner 10 years in a row and almost 35 years of experience serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area! When it comes to wooden decks, fences, siding, etc., we are leading the industry in cleaning, restoring, refinishing, preserving (staining, sealing) and maintaining all exterior wooden surfaces that are not painted. We do not do new construction, but we do make small repairs. One of our goals is to deliver the highest quality customer service and knowledge of exterior wood restoration, preservation and maintenance. Our policy is that we don't take a dime of your money until the work is done and you are happy. Knowledge about the product is one thing, but delivering outstanding service and running a solid company is equally important. Our mission is to advocate for your money and give good honest advice whether or not you decide to hire us....

LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly
Se Habla EspañolSe Habla Español
Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

Before

+16 more images

deck cleaning (155)pressure washing (54)decks & porches (49)house painting (13)siding companies (2)interior painting (1)fence company (1)

09/05/2019

Judith O.

CalPreserving was the total deal! I didn't know what all we needed and all the serves Iooked at seemed to offer only a piece of the puzzle, such as just power washing, or construction, or staining. This group did it all. The initial visit to assess the issues was informative and helpful. We could see our choices. They offered sound advice and looked at ways to save us money where it was possible. We ended up replacing about half the boards on the oldest deck. The finished product on both decks looks amazing -- like new. The workmen were thoughtful, knowledgeable, hard working, and polite. I was impressed that they even followed up with tips on maintaining the decks for years to come. I will definitely have them back every couple of years just to check on the decks and preserve the investments we have made in them. My highest recommendation.

Description of Work
We had upper and lower decks that needed to be assessed for their safety and preservation. The upper deck was 30 years old and the lower 14 years.

Work Completed On 10/09/2019

05/21/2019

Sean D.

Kasia was extremely responsive and kept me will informed throughout the project. We had a very tight time frame to complete the project and Kasia made sure it happened. The work was done quickly, professionally and was very high quality.

Description of Work
Decks/fencing stained

Category decks, pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 04/18/2019

05/08/2019

Maria P.

Cal Preserving did a great job on our very difficult to install Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) deck. I would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
deck maintenance

Work Completed On 02/06/2019

01/23/2019

Kay R.

Cal Preserving delivers EXCEPTIONAL results. We had an immediate response to my request for a quote. Onsite visit 2 days later, quote that afternoon. Able to start after rain let up in Fremont - 5 days later. Absolute professional prep, treatment, and care by Francisco and Gabriel. Pressure washed our 14-yr old deck the first day - AND the pergola overhead - AND the fiberglass roofing. They ALSO cleaned the adjacent pool of cleaning debris - without being asked! Next day sanded the deck, let dry, returned to apply preservative - which brought out the original beauty of the redwood. Spectacular results. Throughout they protected downspouts, electrical connections, cleaned dirty water sitting in the base of sliding glass doors - and somehow made a squeaky deck silent. (I've walked across it 4 times tonight and there wasn't a single squeak.) Gorgeous result. I will hire this company again - recommend them for any wood related project - and have already recommended them to neighbors. We've owned this 43 year old home 20+ years - and never seen such quality restoration. This company is truly exceptional - at all levels.

Description of Work
Deck and Pergola refinishing

Work Completed On 01/22/2019

11/10/2017

Dene M.

The fence is beautiful!! Glad we had it washed and re-stained.

Description of Work
To have my finish refinished

Category fencing

Work Completed On 09/07/2017

Thank you [Member Name Removed]! We are always around, please reach out if we can help with anything else. Take Care!! Bruce

06/24/2017

Peter S.

They started each day at 8:00 AM and worked until 5:00 or later. They were very polite and professional. The lead person George would explain what they would be doing each day and then perform the tasks. The deck looks like it is brand new and the redwood has the original color and grain. Note: the bill included 4 hours of setting the deck screws so they could sand. Otherwise they performed to the bid.

Description of Work
The deck needed to be refinished. They did both the deck, vertical supports and the patio cover. They power washed, sanded, bleached and stained. There were two workers for 3 days, all day. They even moved some of the heavy flower containers off the deck. There bid was $1,200 under the next closest bid.

Work Completed On 06/05/2017

10/10/2016

Maryia C.

Unfortunately this ended in a negative way. The provider, Bruce, was unable to let me know when he was going to do the decks. It was more of a "When we're in the area" kind of appointment, which did not work for us. I asked for a particular date, with a willingness to be flexible on the time he was to show, however, my email was met with a response of "Is there a reason you need to be there when we do the work?.....We typically do jobs when the customer is not there?" To which I responded in kind, ...... "My request for a timeframe simply put, it's my job. I run the full schedule for the company and the owner and while I may not have to be there, I need to know who will be and how to schedule everything else around their visit." I do not think that my request was unreasonable, however, the tone of the conversation seem to convey that Bruce did not appreciate my need to narrow down a date/time and was upset that I had asked such a thing. We have gladly moved on to another provider and I am very pleased with not only the way they conduct business, but also their flexibility and understanding of what we need, even suggesting options that we had not considered. Every person I have been in contact with has been pleasant, has called or sent emails with information as promised and has called to check in and see how things were going..if we needed anything else. I have even received texts on a particular persons day off just to see how I was doing. Complete and total customer care and ownership to the nth degree. Please feel free to email me for the company name and I will gladly pass it on.

Description of Work
I declined services. However, based on a minimum 8 hr job at $75/man/hr, $885 minimum plus materials, plus old lumber removal. The lowest estimated figure would've been $1485 (Not including materials and lumber removal)

Category decks, deck cleaning, pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 09/15/2016

Hi [Member Name Removed], I sincerely apologize that you had the experience you did with Cal Preserving. I reviewed the emails and i did see that the last email i sent was asking "How much advanced notice do you need?" and then no response after that. I do realize that a question like that without anything other than a "Hi [Member Name Removed]" may seen abrupt and i should have considered that before i sent that email. Cal Preserving is a growing company and we have only ocasionally suffered the consequences of that growth with a laps in communication. I think this issue has come up 3-4 times this year (we have done over 500 jobs this year and seen more than 1,000 estimates) and it is not acceptable. I personally take responsibility for this and will strive even harder to not to let it happen again. Further Cal Preserving is working on a complete software solution to help us manage the volume of work that we do even more efficiently, while keeping focused on the highest quality customer service, workmanship and product available. I am truly happy you found a good provider for the service BUT If there is anything we can do to earn your business back, we will do it. Please feel free to contact me about any concerns. Thank you. Sincerely, Bruce Watkins Cal Preserving 650-704-5653 cell bruce(at)calpreserving.com

08/26/2016

rosanna W.

I was so happy with the out come of the deck. It looks brand new. I like the fact that everything is broken down on the bid you receive. If you didn't want to have something extra done it was not problem to have it you bid changed. I would recommend this company to all

Description of Work
Deck sanded and stained

Work Completed On 06/01/2016

06/25/2016

Suzanne M.

Bruce Watkins at Cal Preserving is a bad businessman and a flake. HE scheduled my deck maintenance for Monday June 27, I had to call him today (Friday, June 24) to confirm. My deck is small, I live in a town home so everything on my deck needs to come inside my home for the deck to be maintained. Bruce said he could not start my service as scheduled and could not come till Wednesday or Thursday, and to finish in time for my out of visitors to arrive on Saturday, July 2 they'd need to cut corners and skip sanding the deck. I canceled the service, will not use them and will not recommend them.

Description of Work
Bruce Watkins at Cal Preserving is a bad businessman and a flake. HE scheduled my deck maintenance for Monday June 27, I had to call him today (Friday, June 24) to confirm. Bruce said he could not start my service as scheduled. When I asked when he could start he said Wednesday or Thursday, but he could not finish before my out of visitors arrive on Saturday, July 2 unless he cut corner and didn't sand the deck. I canceled the service.

Work Completed On 06/24/2016

Please see the review from 6/23/14. We did not need to sand the deck, as we did not the last time either. The customer was appreciative then. I am really perplexed as to why we were not given the job when we could have done it on time and with the same savings she had last time. We pay particular attention to not cutter corners, ever. We would not have recommended that she not sand the deck if that would have meant cutting any corners. We do care about every job we do and i truly hope you will consider having us do the work again. If you have any questions please contact me directly. Sincerely, Bruce Watkins Cal Preserving 650-704-5653 cell bruce(at) calpreserving.com

06/08/2016

BREE B.

It went great. EXCELLENT communications. While I could have found it cheaper, I was more interested in a quality job that would last. The neighbors have commented on how good the house looks since the painting and our next door neighbor cannot believe how good the deck looks. In fact, we are now able to enjoy it again.

Description of Work
Bruce and his team did an outstanding job. The deck restoration was immaculately done. They were very attentive to the detailed work and when they were done, the deck looked like it did the day we bought our house. This deck has had almost no maintenance done to it in over 10 years and now it is as good as new. They also painted the house. The house hadn't been painted in over 15 years. Again, they were meticulous and caring. They replaced all of the wood that was questionable due to weathering and moisture. High quality work and very professional.

Category decks, deck cleaning, pressure washing, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 05/11/2016

12/08/2015

diana V.

I spent way more than what the deal was for. I had to add more money and they did less than what was in the ad. The ad was very misleading and he didn't do the minor repairs and the size of the deck was irrelevant because what he does is he adds the linear feet of the railing and that's almost double the price. He was professional it was just we felt ripped off because we already have him scheduled. The work they are doing is not done. He wanted a whole lot more for what the ad said that he would do. So we did the minimum and that cost us more than the ad said.

Description of Work
They did deck preserving.

Work Completed On 10/09/2015

Hi [removed member's name], i appreciate you letting us know you thoughts on the work. But i must point out a few thing that i think you will find are in contrast to your issues. Please see the deal you bought here. $400 for professional deck restoration Valid for up to 200 square feet of decking; extra square footage can be restored for an additional fee Includes power-washing Securing loose nails Applying of UV Plus preservation The Real Deal: Your deck adds valuable living space to your home, but extreme weather can cause accelerated aging and wear. Hire an expert to clean and protect your deck, and enjoy a safe and comfortable outdoor area for less! The Fine Print: Deal must be purchased through Angie's List Service area includes: San Francisco and Santa Cruz County Not valid for cash back Deal cannot be combined with other specials or offers Deal cannot be applied to current or past jobs Deal is for residential service only Appointments must be scheduled and performed during normal business hours Limit one deal per household Some service restrictions apply; deck stairs can be cleaned and sealed for an additional fee; custom colors, semi-solids, and solid sealers can be applied for an additional fee Deal does not include stripping of old paint, stains, or varnish Railings may be done for an additional fee Image may not reflect exact product/service 30-Day Refund Guarantee Promotional value expires six months from date of purchase; paid value never expires I think you will see that this is for a 200 sq ft. deck and really nothing else. It states in the "fine print" that any additional decking can be done at additional cost and the same for railings and any repairs. I think this is reasonable as we could otherwise be asked to do an unknown amount of additional work at no extra cost. We tend to lose money on these deals so we strictly enforce the wording of the deal. You have a total of 330 sq. ft. of decking and 19 linear feet of railings. That would be 130 sq. ft. of decking and 19 ft. of railings more than are covered in the deal. So the additional $290 dollars we charged was to cover that and i must say i think that was more than fair. I also must tell you that the only bad reviews we get are from those who have bought our deal on AL and have this similar issue (not sure why because it seems to me that this is clearly spelled out in the wording of the deal, and it's "fine print," please correct me if i'm wrong...?). For this reason we have stopped offering these deals. Please let me know if you have any questions and we do again appreciate your feedback. Sincerely, Bruce Watkins Cal Preserving

11/14/2015

John F. O.

Not applicable. The full restoration estimated price was much higher than I expected - I did the work myself.

Description of Work
Did not follow through with this company. Did the work myself. The correct answer to "Would I use this provider in the future would be "Maybe" - that answer is not provided.

Work Completed On 07/01/2015

Hi [Member name removed], thanks for the review. It turns out that to do your job properly there is a LOT of work involved. Hence the price. it is an appropriate price. I do hope you hire us in the future so we can do a great job for you and i think you will see that the price was justified again do to the labor involved. Also, keep in mind that all of our guys are on our payroll and covered by workman's comp and liability insurances so there is significant cost for that. We just can't complete with other companies that don't have the proper coverage as we do and we certainly can't compete with a homeowner doing it them self. I hope the work went well for you. Please do keep us in mind in the future. Thanks again!

10/27/2015

Jan B.

Crew arrived on time, worked efficiently and cleaned up after themselves. Very professional. No complaints at all.

Description of Work
Power washed, sanded and preserved deck and stained spa siding. Additional work performed to create removable deck sections for spa maintenance. Verify that all the work you are expecting to be done is outlined in the price quote. Bruce explained what could and could not be done and we were able to agree to a very satisfactory compromise.

Category decks, deck cleaning, pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 08/07/2017

06/30/2015

Sandra M.

I was very satisfied with the service from Cal Preserving from first contact on Angie's list. They were communicative from first contact through the end of the job. My deck had not been taken care of since it had been put in 20 years ago and the results were beautiful! We could not afford to have it sanded as well, but will consider using Cal Preserving in the future to have that done also.

Description of Work
Power washed and sealed large deck

Category deck cleaning, pressure washing

Work Completed On 06/04/2015

04/22/2015

Erik M.

Great to work with. Responded quickly to my initial inquiry and kept me well-informed during the process. It rained the day after they had washed / bleached so they were unable to apply the strain, so they re-bleached and came back the next day at no extra expense. They did everything they said they would do and the deck looks great. Will definitely be calling them again.

Description of Work
Refinished 535 sq ft deck (power-washed, bleached & preserved) plus railing and lattice.

Work Completed On 03/20/2015

02/16/2015

Elizabeth M.

They were great. It went good. I want other members to know that they responded really quickly, they did the work really quickly because they were available and it was a fair place. They were clean. They showed up and they were gone. They did a good job. The price was fair.

Description of Work
I used the services of Cal Preserving to re-finish the deck which was about 800 feet.

Work Completed On 09/10/2014

11/14/2014

Michele C.

The decks look amazing --- the work they did really changed their appearance. Bruce (the owner) has also spent a lot of time talking over with me what to do now and what to postpone to next year or after, to keep within my budget. Great company to work with --- they clearly are working to create a long-term service.

Description of Work
Cleaned, sanded, and treated two large wood decks and balcony. Repaired problems with railings.

Work Completed On 11/07/2014

11/03/2014

Lesley B.

Bruce Watkins from Cal Preserving kept in touch through both emails and phone conversations to get the deck work done that was required. He came out to provide an early estimate. He advised me to get trolleys for my plants to get them off the deck, which I did and it's a big improvement. After all, I don't want to ruin my newly sealed deck! It looks better than it has since I moved into my home 5 years ago. I will again contact Bruce when it's time to get it re-sealed.

Description of Work
My service was delayed to to my house painting, but Bruce Watkins from Cal Preserving kept in touch with me and performed an excellent service as scheduled. His painter put a gray sealer on my deck after checking it for any possible construction issues. The deck is a big improvement and with Bruce's advice I will keep it up more regularly.

Category decks, deck cleaning, house painters

Work Completed On 07/21/2014

10/22/2014

Margot V.

I didn't feel I needed to get an estimate on the work. They left the preservatives on the top which wouldn't prevent the wood from rotting,this company damaged numerous things during this work, they messed up the railing, spilled chemicals, and did an overall shoddy job. He said he would come back and fix this, however he never came back and was hard to get a hold of for some time, which was common for this guy as he was consistently difficult to contact. Recently he had sent an email asking when he could come out to do the work, before he sent someone out he asked to talk to me and the worker showed up in the morning when he said he would to do the work and that owner was coming out to meet up, when I got home nothing was done.

Description of Work
Hired him to do deck restoration, I had purchased a Big Deal for the deck restoration service.

Category decks

Work Completed On 10/21/2014

So given the customers view on how we handled this we are not going to ask her for the remaining $690 she owes us for the work. However we categorically disagree with her characterization of how this was handles and her opinion of any "damage" that we caused by what we did. First, we ALWAYS give an estimate for any work we do. That is standard business practice and we do not stray from it. The fact that she did not think we needed to give and estimate and did not want us to give her one was an indicator that we should have thought differently about working with her. Second, I inspected the work, as she said, and found absolutely nothing that we damaged but rather was obviously normal weathering to her paint that she tried to pin on us in order to have us paint her walls. In fact there was a piece of trim that we did not come within 4 feet of that she said we damaged and again we did not come near it and it showed normal wear due to the fact that it has not been painted for years (we would typically just fix this but in this case i had to stand up for what i know was right). Lastly about communication, we attempted to address the situation when she brought it up to us. We always do make sure we rectify any issue that arises as it is our policy to take care of everything before we ask for payment. I called and emailed her and she told us we could not come address it because she was too busy. We scheduled a call back when she asked us to, we call her, went to address the situation and my employee did not know what to do as what she was asking us to address was clearly not anything we caused. I personally inspected and politely told her that it is unfair to ask us top fix something that we clearly had nothing to do with. So, even though we did our job as estimated, did a good job of it as well (we do 400-500 jobs a year and we know how to do it properly, please see all of our other reviews) we are not going to charge her the remaining balance due as she was not happy. That's all we can do. This is only one of two poor reviews we had out of the 400 jobs we did this year. Both came from customers purchasing AL coupons so we have decided not to offer any more coupons (that we are not already contracted to offer). We pride ourselves on being able to help even the most difficult customers and make them happy. We will continue to take pride in that but we will take a closer look at the signs for those customers that are unreasonable and do our best to not put ourselves in this position again. We would like to say that the vast majority of our customers are reasonable and we very much appreciate the opportunity to help then as we have been doing for 27 years and maintaining the highest level of service possible (we have won the super service award from AL every year we have worked with them and if you see our Yelp reviews you will see there are very few companies that are as highly rated as us, we do not take that for granted!!!). We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide you with the highest level of customer service and workmanship despite this poor review. Sincerely, Bruce Watkins Cal Preserving

10/20/2014

Po S.

I did not use their service as the quote came in too high. I purchased a $199 coupon thinking my tiny front porch would be covered under this price. but turns out that there were extras for the stairs and sanding. The quote came in way too different from the $199 price. thus i ended up just cancelling the coupon.

Description of Work
provided a quote for re-staining my porch

Category decks, deck cleaning, house painters

Work Completed On 05/01/2014

09/23/2014

Kjerste L.

They made it challenging; there was some major communication issues. In the end they made it right. The quality of work was good.

Description of Work
I bought a deal for $249 for up to 250 square feet of professional deck restoration!

Category decks, remodeling, deck cleaning, Uncategorized

Work Completed On 09/22/2014

09/18/2014

Barbara B.

I got them through Angie's List. They did an absolutely fabulous job. They were reasonable, they were prompt, and they were everything that a contractor promises to be. They were absolutely wonderful, and I saved their card, because I would use them again. I would recommend them very highly to anybody who wants excellent quality. They weren't cheap, but I got a much better experience than I ever expected. They were very nice, they were very professional in their work,and the work that they did. I couldn't be more pleased. I am intending on having my other deck done after the winter, and I will use them. I chose to go with them because of Angie's List. The job took 2 or 3 days. They were wonderful. They couldn't have been more punctual.

Description of Work
I used them to do my deck. They bleached the deck, cleaned it up, and restained my deck.

Work Completed On 09/18/2013