H C Blake Co

Founded 1884 • With Angi since August 2010

4.4

406 Holmes Ave NW

Huntsville, AL 35801

Way back in 1884, Hall C and J.W. Blake started our company with two men, a horse and a wagon, and the idea that good service at a reasonable price would be the basis for a successful business venture, THEY WERE RIGHT! Today we strive to keep the same standard of care with our customers as we did

09/15/2019

Frank F.

Great. Another person had looked at it and said it couldn’t be repaired, that we had to replace it. H C Blake found the problem and repaired it for under $100.

Description of Work
Checking AC and a Heater operation and diagnostic tests.

10/16/2018

Bob & Erline M.

They have been good and have always been very professional. We are about to use them again and we would recommend them.

Description of Work
We have been using them for a few years for servicing our HVAC system.

10/09/2017

Nancy C.

No Go! The Blake plumber arrived with a new job price book and wanted over $300 to repair a water heater leak. I sent him packing and was charged a $75 trip fee. I called a different plumber who charged $94 for the repair meaning I paid out less money for the repair even after adding Blake's trip fee than what Blake was asking for the job. . The plumber I called was Bowers Plumbing Company. They were prompt, their repair work was successful, they were reasonable in price, they were courteous and from now on I will call them when I need a plumber. For many years Blake was the premier plumbers in town and I had used them on several occasions when I needed a plumber. However, somebody there needs a reality check.

Description of Work
Water heater leak fixed.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

05/02/2017

They were great. I bought a special from that I get a discounts from them throughout the year and they will come out here every 6 months to do services. They did the job like they were suppose to. Everything worked well. The worker was good.

Description of Work
They checked my heating unit to make sure everything was good for the winter.

05/01/2017

Kyoko H.

Overall good. My husband dug a 3 ft hole to locate the leak. They didn't dig or put the dirt back. We thought the price will be a little less, but it was higher than their first estimate. It was late Friday afternoon, but they were quick to get there. The repair was good, but I think their price is a little high.

Description of Work
Underground water pipe leak.

02/27/2017

Jan V W.

The plumber, Parker, immediately diagnosed the problem. The previous plumber had installed a standard fill valve on a low-profile toilet, and when we flushed, the handle hit the valve. Parker suggested replacing the handle, but we declined, because they are custom and match the rest of the hardware. He looked at the other Raphael toilets in the house and found the correct flapper and fill valve, and checked the water pressure. Since November, it has worked great. No wasted water or involuntary flushing. Parker was very courteous and professional, and we will request him if he have any further plumbing issues.

Description of Work
11/20/16 We had another plumbing company "fix" our toilet five days earlier, but it was not fixed. The other company said we probably needed a new toilet and they would not come out to fix this problem because they were busy. I phoned H.C. Blake after reviewing their Angie's List reviews. We wanted to know 1. Do we need a new toilet and 2. Can you fix our "singing" toilet that involuntarily flushes. I explained it is a Raphael toilet, a very expensive, low-profile toilet, and it may need specialized parts.

10/22/2016

Nancy S.

always a good job. I only call this company for service of my Heating/AC equipment.

Description of Work
heating and air conditioning

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

12/30/2015

M C.

The technician was very courteous and completed the work on the same afternoon (after dark). HC Blake was our second choice due to unavailability of our local plumber and urgency. The cost was at least $100 higher than it should have been. Two days later I noticed that the technician forgot to put the caps back on the sewer relief pipes. No big deal but it should have been done. The technician found "several bellies" in the sewer line and quoted replacement of the line. ($3,428 - $4,959) After 9 days, the clog reoccurred. I called HC Blake and asked about warranty of their previous work. They would not warranty the work and said a return visit is $79 diagnostic charge plus an hourly charge. Due to the urgency of a clogged sewer line, I requested that the technician call me for his availability. I did not receive a return call for more than two days. Meanwhile I called another plumbing service who cleared the clog for $140. It has been 4 days ... so far, so good. I would not call HC Blake again unless there is no other plumber available.

Description of Work
The technician cleared a clogged sewer line in the backyard and used a camera to inspect the line.

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

09/26/2015

Gary D.

UPDATE: HC Blake offered to replace the Sharkbite connectors in my crawlspace at their cost. The work they did resolved my concerns and they did a good job too. I appreciate them addressing my concerns and resolving this issue. I'd asked if they would correct the fittings at first and planned to pay for the work, but they insisted they would correct the problem without any additional charges to me. I adjusted the ratings for them based on this work performed and their customer service/support. PREVIOUS REVIEW BEFORE RESOLUTION When the work was done all the spigots worked fine. That installation was on10/27/2014. However, later the next summer I went down into the crawl space to install pipe insulators on the hot water papers and noticed some strange connectors installed on the pipes. I thought nothing of it as I put the insulation over the pipes until one of the connectors started to leak! I called HC Blake and they sent someone out who repaired the leak for a few hundred dollars. I asked the plumber about the leak and the fittings I'd never seen and he explained they worked like a Chinese finger tube that when you pull the pipes apart they grab on and hold onto the pipes. He also said once you move the pipes they can start to leak. For every connection on my copper pipes that were previously soldered HC Blake had put on these connectors. I called HC Blake and spoke with a manager about my concerns. She said the work met plumbing codes and was correct. That if I wanted it soldered I could have them come out and do it for additional costs. She was absolutely no help at all in resolving my concerns. I recently had a plumber from another company inspect the pipes and explained to me these connector should not be used by any reliable plumber, that at best they should be used ONLY for emergency installation and not for any permanent installations, such as what should have been required for my work - that all copper pipes should have been soldered and not have what he called "Shark Connectors" put on the pipes. This plumber told me some companies do this because it saves tremendous amounts of labor giving them higher profits, but it is a poor practice and not something a professional plumber should do. I have used HC Blake for several projects around the house and found some of their technicians proficient and professional. I see this action as egregious by HC Blake - I will no longer use them. I plan to file a BBB complaint on this issue now that I have more information from a reliable plumber on the actions done by HC Blake. While HC Blake does do some good work I DON'T recommend using them for any plumbing work due to what I experienced.

Description of Work
Installed 3 Frost Free outside spigots.

Category insulation, plumbing

09/02/2015

Margaret R.

Place called at 8:30 am repairman was scheduled for 10:30 am. He arrived on time took pictures of attic fan to show me that all but one bolt had came out of motor fan. Repairman was very knowledgeable and professional. I chose this company because they had A rating and have been in Huntsville many years. Will definitely use them again if I need another service.

Description of Work
Repaired attic fan

Category appliance repair, plumbing

05/19/2015

Nancy C.

He's reasonable in prices, reliable, and does great work!

Description of Work
He replaced the ice maker in my refrigerator and has done a lot of work in the past for me as well, fixed my cook stove, washing machine, an old attic fan, and more.

Category appliance repair

05/05/2015

Steven M.

We were a little concerned about their higher estimate cost for the work, but then they matched a competitors price. We went with them for that reason plus the facts that had a reputation for good work and they could do both plumbing and air conditioning: the entire job. They showed up promptly and did the entire job faster than originally thought. They ensured that they had the new plumbing ready so they were able to switch over to it immediately and we never had to wait for water. My only complaint is that they could have done a better job leveling the new heat pump unit.

Description of Work
Took out all of my aging copper crawlspace plumbing and replaced it with PEX tubing. Took out my old heat/cooling ductwork and replaced it with new airduct work. Took out my old heat pump and replaced it with a bigger, 4 Ton Amana heat pump.

03/17/2015

Barbara L.

I have done business with them for years. They always come in a relatively short time. They do good work.

Description of Work
They have done plumbing & HVAC work for me.

01/27/2015

Michael M.

One fix did not hold, but they came out again at no cost and repair is holding.

Description of Work
replaced three sink fixtures. fixed leaks

Category plumbing

Thank you, we appreciate your business and your review. We hope that you will call us again if you should have any plumbing issues. We also can provide service for any HVAC, Electrical, Insulation concerns.

01/23/2015

Sandra T.

If memory serves me, it was on a Saturday I called HC Blake mid-morning for a plumber because our kitchen sink stopped-up. The contact person, Sara, Beth, was very attentive and called us often to give us the status of the plumber's schedule. The plumber arrived by mid-afternoon, He was very polite and worked efficiently. From our experience with HC Blake, we would recommend HC Blake for pluming issues.

Description of Work
Emergency for clogged kitchen drain.

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

Thank you so much for a review, we are glad we were able to take care of the drain issue with your sink. We hope that you will call us again in the future should the need arise. We can also provide service for any HVAC issues and new installation, electrical and insulation. We are your one stop shop! Thanks again!

01/17/2015

John G.

Price was competitive, and work was done professionally. There were some later issues with airflow in our main living area that were discussed, but resolution was ultimately beyond the scope of previously agreed work. In general were timely and communicative once a worker was out at the site, but communication with the scheduling office and from that scheduling office to the workers can be problematic.

Description of Work
Installed new HVAC system, added insulation in attic.

Category plumbing

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your business, and value the feedback.

12/30/2014

Mark C.

expensive. leaked after installer left.

Description of Work
installed new water heater

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your business.

12/23/2014

Johnny F.

Went great, technician was prompt and professional.

Description of Work
Plumbing repair

Category plumbing

Thank you for the review, glad we were able to take care of the leak under your house, and you are pleased with our work. We also can take care of any HVAC(heating and air) and electrical needs you may have in the future as well as the plumbing. Thanks again!!

09/18/2014

Scott L.

Great job--we are very satisfied.

Description of Work
Replaced the washer and dry valves and the pipes leading to the valves. Thanks to their good work, they detected a leak in the plumbing in the wall and replaced the faulty piping. At the same time, they detected a leak from the washer and we had that leak repaired by another service provider. Overall, the work was excellent. The plumber took the time to explain the issues and showed me the photos of the various leaks. They left the premises clean. Great job--we are very satisfied.

Category plumbing

{removed member name}, We wanted to say Thanks for your review, and tell you how much we appreciate your business. We are glad our technician was able to provide you with excellent service. We value you as our customer and look forward to helping out in the future. H.C. Blake customer service

08/25/2014

alan F.

They leave everything clean when they are finished. We have been using them about a year. Usually one person comes to do the work. I would recommend them to friends and family.

Description of Work
We have a contract that they come every 6 months to check systems.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thanks [Member Name Removed] for your review, we appreciate your business, and value you as a customer. We like to send the same technician when possible because they are most familiar with your unit. We look forward to serving you in the future. H.C. Blake customer service

08/25/2014

Peter W.

Very punctual and fairly professional. Repaired/replaced the valve in a different (more convenient) location and ensured that no debris made its way inside the house plumbing

Description of Work
Replaced PRV

08/04/2014

virginia P.

Would not give me a quote on the phone. Had to come in person to charge me a service call to tell me how much it would be. Was a standard rate that easily could have been quoted on the phone. Gentleman who did the work tho was very professional, courteous and friendly.

Description of Work
Installed several new light fixtures.

Category electrician, plumbing

06/29/2014

Nicole P.

I had great customer service from Sara and Preston and installation was great.

Description of Work
Our AC unit went out last week and I am type of buyer that has to get as much info and bids as possible to make a knowledgeable decision. I had over 10 companies give me quotes and talk about there service. I chose HC Blake from the list of 10 as they were the most knowledgeable about product, ease of working with them and they had a competitive price. Even up to 1 hour before they came I changed unit I wanted and they had no issue with it and still installed that same morning even with change order I caused. I would recommend them to anyone looking for great service, great product and great price.

06/17/2014

Ellie L.

a representative was available earlier than expected, proposed the repairs that I'd asked for over the phone. They initially proposed to replace all the parts in the toilet tank for 160 dollars, which I refused. The representative proposed an alternate toilet tank reduced version that cost less and since the house had a 103 year old sick occupant I decided to let him fix the tank rather than delaying things and doing it myself. The work took 10-15 minutes. Finished - he cleaned up and left. The location was a friends house, an old house. Replacing the wall valve had some risk owing to the age of the location and pipe rust - I feel 226 is high for that as well but acceptable under the circumstances, but changing the tank valve requires little skill, time or material cost. I've personally replaced all the parts in a toilet several times and just felt the cost was too high. The process of each repair having a separable cost for each task gave me the impression there was a visit cost assigned to each one.

Description of Work
replaced the wall toilet shut off valve - 226.00 and replaced the water level valve and flush rubber inside the toilet tank. There was a diagnostic charge of 79 dollars.

06/17/2014

sara F.

Everything went perfectly. I'm very pleased. They were right on top of everything, and went beyond my expectations. Jim Batson has built a terrific team at HC Blake!

Description of Work
Replaced my hvac unit.