ACS Seattle LLC

Founded 1991 • With Angi since July 2009

1.5

4742 42nd Ave SW 500

Seattle, WA 98116

We design and build additions, home remodeling, remodel kitchens, baths and basements in the greater Puget Sound area. Specialties in concrete foundation leveling, patio and retaining wall installations, framing, replacing windows, siding. Employ 6-10 long time (8yr avg)people. Electrical and Plumbing is subcontracted to long time trusted licensed and reliable subcontractors. Fixed Bid proposals. No travel charge. WA General Contractors license: ACSSESL922BT. As the owner, Gary Gutierrez personally oversees each project with the help of dedicated lead carpenters assigned to each project. Our Focus is on your satisfaction. ...

03/12/2013

Roger M.

Words can't describe how I regret hiring ACS to do my excavation work. The owner Gary Gutierrez absolutely tried to screw me. He tried to grossly overcharge. Not only that, but he screwed up the job. The elevations were all wrong, and the foundation guy had to hire guys to come in and re-excavate the areas that were too high. The foundation guy told me that I got screwed BIG TIME. Another thing is once you hire Gary, you will never see him again until he needs more money from you. He is absolutely the worst contractor I have ever dealt with. Do not get fooled by this guy. Stay away from him.

Description of Work
I hired ACS Seattle for excavation of a foundation for a new home.

Category garage builders

02/05/2013

Jason V.

In June of 2012 we decided to remodel our basement and contracted with Gary Gutierrez and ACS Seattle. We selected Gary based on his competitive price and the fact that we had mutual acquaintances, so we felt safe in hiring him since we already had a relationship with him. Gary talks a lot about customer satisfaction and fixing anything that is wrong. To his credit he does try to fix issues, unfortunately he does not seem to provide oversight for his workers so there is a lot of fixing. There have been numerous issues on our project, some have been legitimate and the sort of thing you expect with any construction or remodel project. However, most in my opinion have been due to the lack of either skill or care of the workers Gary employs, and Gary's attitude being that as long as they fix it later it is okay. I will get to a story that describes working with Gary, but for those of you that don't have the time, here is the bullet list: Communication: ? No communication, went on vacation for 3 weeks didn't answer emails or deal with issues ? Unprofessional and personally insulting comments, suggested that I abuse my children because I was angry with him. Plumbing: ? Copper pipe improperly put through studs without spacers or proper clearances ? Connected copper directly to galvanized ? Placed plumbing in front of window and then argued that it would not affect window operation, later back tracked on this statement and said it was because they didn't want to drill holes in joists ? Later mis-drilled holes in joists, thereby drilling twice the number of holes as necessary ? Connected hot water to toilet, left it like this for several weeks ? Left house without water, no communication, made us call plumber, which cost $250, plumber reported Gary for using an unlicensed plumber on contractor permitted work ? Because of unlicensed plumber, permit suspended, I had to call to say I did the work and clear permit ? Plumbing failed inspection the first time ? Gary asked for a change order to fix failed plumbing (I have the email), later backtracked ? Used PEX instead of copper as specified by contract, did not refund for difference Electrical: ? Did not upgrade service as specified in the contract, this was agreed to, but no refund for difference General: ? Bedroom window "fixed" 4 times still not right (see story below) ? Framing in hallway crooked, corners not straight ? Floor leveling took three tries, each time I was told it was done only find it was not, caused more than week delay ? Mis-drilled door stop in the bedroom fixed with caulking ? Bathroom back-splash is a piece of MDF nailed with finishing nails ? Bathtub surround so far off wall that can be pushed off caulking A brief story of the egress window: Since Gary claims to be an expert in window installation I think looking at our basement egress window provides a good insight into what it is like working with Gary. Things started off badly when I came home and noticed that the outline where the cut for the egress window was to be done had been marked on the wrong wall. Fortunately, I caught this before they started cutting our foundation, so no real damage done. Gary may have eventually caught this error before they actually cut the foundation, but given the critical nature of the mistake I did not raised the issue immediately. Next there was a delay in installing the window, Gary never provided an explanation for the more than a week that there was an open hole in my basement. A hole that was not covered for two days, leaving my house completely unsecured until I discovered it asked Gary's guys to board it up. Even after they did this, it was not properly secured and you could push the board out and still get into the house. Finally the window was installed...crooked. Again, I had to tell Gary about this since Gary does not appear to inspects his guys' work. He did fix it but they did not re-caulk the window and after three months Gary never noticed or inspected it. So things proceeded and they framed the window, did the drywall, and painted. It was at this point that I noticed that there was something wrong with the left side of the window. It was not only not straight top to bottom, but also not straight front to back. Using the wall as a reference point the the top of the window was 8 1/2" from the wall, while the bottom was just over 8" from the wall and the back of the window frame was just under 35", while the front was 34 1/2". Again, to Gary's credit he sent his guys back to fix it, but the repair unfortunately looks like a repair with a very straight trowel edge line in an otherwise smooth wall. What is more, I noticed that the window sill was not level, also not even (1/2" on one side, 1" on the other), and due to the previous repairs, scratched. For someone who claims to be an expert in window installation to have this many issues installing a simple egress window should be a huge red flag. I hope that you can learn from my experience and make a more informed selection in contractors. Gary is a generally nice guy, but in my opinion is either too busy or just doesn't care enough to properly supervise the people that work for him. I finally decided to end our relationship when his guys came unannounced the Saturday after Christmas to install door stops, but couldn't be bothered to measure or just swing the door back and ended up drilling the hole in the wrong place. They left without mentioning anything to me and left it "repaired" with a bit of caulk filling the hole. He has offered to fix the punch list as per the contract but at this point I would rather just hire a qualified contractor who does it right the firs time.

Description of Work
Unfortunate choice for basement remodel

Category drywall, electrician, picture framing, insulation, plumbing, replacement windows, garage builders, interior painters, mudjacking, earthquake retrofitting, basement remodeling

Seismic Northwest

Certified General contractor, earthquake retrofit and structural engineering, seismic home inspections

Seattle Paint and Drywall Co

We are currently building our spring and summer 2022 exterior schedule!! (NO INTERIORS AT THIS TIME) Please give us a call with any questions or if you’d like to schedule a free estimate. We charge an up front flat rate with no surprise costs! We provide free estimates and a dedicated estimator that works with you throughout the entire project! Family owned and operated, our mission is to reach new heights of quality and exceed the expectations of our valued customers. Working together as a team our company strives to provide a comprehensive personal service that is dedicated to make sure your project runs smoothly. To maintain cost effectiveness. To present a completed project the way it was envisioned by you, the customer.

FRESH PAINT

Small quality team of dedicated professionals. 15 Years in Seattle. Received the Angie's List Super-Service award for the past 9 years straight, which is given to the top 5% of businesses. Interior only. Specializing in residential repaints and remodels. Lead Certified. No job is too large or too small. Absolutely guaranteed. Customer satisfaction is our goal.

Offers by FRESH PAINT on Angi
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, Financing Available

Residential and commercial work including kitchen and bath remodeling. From excavation to finish we are a complete Design/Build firm with in house specialists in concrete foundation, slab, framing, drywall, painting, carpentry, trim and molding installation, window, siding, and roofing replacements. Top hardwood flooring, granite, tile and marble installers on hand to finish your project with class.

we do not do landscape maintenance services