Building Performance Group

Founded 2008 • With Angi since November 2009

PO Box 1123

Crestwood, KY 40014

The Building Performance Group, based in Louisville, KY, was founded on the principles of honesty and integrity, and provides independent, unbiased diagnostics and consulting services to businesses and individuals who seek to better understand how their homes or buildings function and the true reasons problems are occuring. We then provide real solutions to these problems, check to verify that our recommendations have been completed properly afterwards, and ensure our clients' objectives have been met. With over 30 years in combined professional experience in the construction, building restoration, insulation and weatherization industries, we have the knowledge and network of resources to diagnose problems, provide solutions, and educate our clients on a wide-array of building-science related issues....

03/01/2018

Rickey A.

Eric found several problems regarding air leakage around doors, windows, flooring, missing insulation in home and crawl space and mold due to excessive moisture. He was very thorough, professional and friendly and provided pictures of all areas that need improvement.

Description of Work
Assessment for air leakage due to very cold temperature inside home

Category insulation,mold removal,energy audit

02/21/2016

Sarah H.

The inspection was worth the money. Being that my home is only 4 years old, insulation of the house was done fairly well. But did show some areas for improvement. The inspection did show that my duct work was in need of a lot of improvement. Eric was very professional and answered all of my concerns.

Description of Work
I was given a complete inspection of the attic, foundation and all relevant areas. Insulation levels, duct work and furnace were also inspected. A blower door test with an IR camera was used to check for air leakage. A pan test on all registers was used to check for duct leakage. My water furnace was inspected for heating equipment BTU delivery, operating equipment efficiency, duct temperature change, duct system efficiency. And was presented in a detailed HeatMaxx report. I also received a detailed home performance report. The report showed missing and ineffective insulation with thermal imaging pictures and gave recommendation to address each area. The report also showed areas of air leakage, duct leakage with recommendations to fix these areas. I was given recommended contractors to be able to fix each issue i our home.

Category insulation,energy audit

Thank you for the great review! We're glad you found real value in our services and we appreciate your business!

02/09/2016

Mark F.

Very pleased with the service. Eric was extremely thorough and did a great job of explaining each test. The final report exceeded expectations and identified many areas I would never have thought would have been a major source of heat loss. I highly recommend Building Performance.

Description of Work
Home energy performance inspection and furnace heating performance testing.

Category energy audit

Thank you very much for the kind review!

11/20/2015

Mark L.

Fantastic. Eric was professional, punctional and it was obvious his only goal was to give us an unbiased and accurate opinion on our home condition. The report he provided was extensive, detailed, and easy for us to understand. He went through it all so we were clear on what he recommended be done to correct the issues for the most affordable price. He also provided contractors he would advise using that he trusted. His report contrasted what several HVAC companies told us we need to have done to fix our problems. Their products and recommendations would have cost us thousands of dollars more than Eric felt we needed to spend. Without Eric we likely would have gone with the recommendations of these companies. His unbiased opinion saved the day. We cannot recommend him enough for any homeowner unsure of a repair.

Description of Work
Eric provided a complete detailed report on our new home. He did an energy audit, looking at safety, heating and cooling systems, duct leakage, incorrect insulation and recommendations for repair and better energy efficiency.

Category insulation,energy audit

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm glad you found great value in my services and you got the problems solved cost-effectively!

01/13/2015

Jenny S.

My fiance and I purchased our 90+ year-old Highlands home and knew it had some insulation issues but as first-time homeowners, we were a little overwhelmed by what to tackle first. Since we weren't eligible for the LGE home energy audit, I asked around and a friend had employed Eric (BPG) for an audit when she purchased her own leaky, old Highlands home a few years ago. I called Eric and he walked me through the options and how the audit would work. I told him we were hesitant to have someone come in and tell us what we already knew... that our home needed some work. But he said he would help us identify the "low-hanging fruit". A few weeks later, he met us at our home with his equipment and within two hours, he was done. By the time he left, we felt educated, informed and (admittedly) a little overwhelmed, but have not regretted spending the money or the time with Eric. His report and photos were sent within a few days and we've referred to them multiple times while sealing, foaming, caulking and mastic'ing our house. Additionally, we plan to refer to his report as we continue to DIY some fixes and work with contractors in the near future.

Description of Work
Home Energy Survey (audit) including observations of and recommendations for fixes to: Health & Safety Air Leakage Insulation Duct Leakage HVAC

Category insulation,energy audit

Thank you for your review [removed member name]! I'll make a point to change some of the terminology in our reports so they use more common language. Good advice, I appreciate it!

01/11/2015

John S.

From the first contact, Eric George of Builders Performance Group was a pleasure to deal with. An initial appointment was made for him to look at the scope of the job, after which he sent a detailed explanation of what he would do and how much he would charge. We compared three bids for the work and chose his company in large part because of the additional vacuum test. The bid was higher but the inspection would be much more detailed. I did forward one negative review to our HOA president (one bad review while all others gave superior ratings). Mr. George explained that particular inspection scenario to our satisfaction. After the insulation job was completed, Mr. George inspected each building, carefully marking gaps and places that were missed, as well as small areas that needed additional thickness. The three series of thermal imaging pictures were easy to understand, the vacuum test showed areas where there was leakage. We received a detailed report for each attic within a few days. In addition to giving us feedback on the quality of the insulation job, Mr. George also alerted us and provided pictures of several other issues that needed to be addressed. He is very experienced in all aspects of home inspection, HVAC, electrical, plumbing. We got more than a report on the insulation. After the BPG inspections, the insulation group returned and filled all marked gaps. We decided that it would be wise to reinspect one building and agreed to pay Mr George an additional $200 for this work. The second inspection did not include the vacuum test, but the thermal imaging test and two sets of pictures took him almost 2 hours. We were all satisified that the insulation company had done their work well. I would not hesitate to recommend Building Performance Group.

Description of Work
BPG did a thorough attic inspection of each of our three condominium buildings after we had foam insulation installed. The insulation project was costly and we felt it wise to have an inspection before payment was made. The buildings are large, each inspection took approximately two hours. BPG did thermal imaging tests and another test which required creating a vacuum to detect air leakage.

Category energy audit

Thank you very much [ ] for the great review and kind words. We certainly appreciate your business and it was a pleasure working with you and the other home owners involved!

11/05/2014

Cami W.

In October 2013 Eric George with Building Performance Group quoted $450 for the Projected Rating, thermal bypass inspection, and final inspection. His services also include registering for LG&E rebates. He stated, "the LG&E rebates should more than cover my costs in most cases." Though he claimed that he had our house registered with the LG&E program in time, LG&E "received so many registrations in January due to the program ending that they are not guaranteeing that all registered homes will get rebates at this point." This was in January 2014. In January 2014, Eric George told me "The details you provided are excellent and will help me put together a more accurate Projected Rating for your home." The Projected rating was not done until May 13, 2014. Building Performance Group finally sent the report to me on August 5, 2014 with a note "Sorry for the delay." The report is ultimately worthless because the new home was already under roof with all the drywall in place. Building Performance Group told us everything looked fine during their thermal bypass inspection. In my opinion, they missed spots that I had to discover on our own, making me wonder if they actually did anything. Building Performance Group was at the property because they taped one of their signs to our front window. Additionally, Mr. George could not remember that our basement is not a walk-out, nor could he remember that we have a geothermal system; and he made lengthy irrelevant recommendations on these misconceptions. He made other recommendations that I did not like, such as installing a "hybrid" heat-pump water heater. Finally, on June 19, 2014, Building Performance Group sent out 2 different invoices, with 2 different amounts, to 2 different people for the same location for work that was not done. They billed me and the builder. The first step, the Projected Rating, was not sent to me until August 5. Eric George told me he does not send out the billing himself, and the mistake must have been done by someone in his office.

Description of Work
The provider offered rebates through LG&E that fell through, provided useless reports too late, and sent out 2 different invoices to 2 different people for the same location for work that was not done.

Category energy audit

The email shown below is my exact response to this customer's claims. He is correct that their was an issue with the original bill that was sent out, but this was corrected immediately once I was made aware of it, and beyond that one issue, I was not made aware of any other problems he had until he decided to not pay the bill and began making these accusations. It should be noted that this customer finally did send me his payment after I sent him the response below, which was nearly six months after the bill was originally sent. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Chris, My responses to your comments are in-line below. On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM, WELCO International Services, Inc. wrote: Dear Eric: This is my review of Building Performance Group: "Building Performance Group offered rebates through LG&E that fell through, provided useless reports too late, and sent out 2 different invoices to 2 different people for the same location for work that was not done." RESPONSE: The work was done. I don't understand your argument here. I spent a lot of time initially providing you details on our services and answering all of your questions via email and phone. We did the projected rating, but David apparently didn't send it to you when it was done back in May. We also did the pre-drywall inspection, so there is no argument as to whether or not work was done. I apologized to you when I learned you had not received the reports or pictures and sent them over immediately, but the fact that you did not receive the projected rating reports until after the pre-drywall inspection was done does not make the reports "useless", nor does it mean that we did not spend time creating them. I have also apologized to you multiple times now about the error on our part in sending out the first invoice. Regardless of this, the builder did not pay us and you have not paid us. On June 17th of this year I sent you an email asking if I should bill you or the builder, and on June 18th you replied "Please send me your invoice", so I did. Up until this point I had not received any negative feedback from you, so I assumed everything was fine. "In October 2013 Eric George with Building Performance Group quoted $450 for the Projected Rating, thermal bypass inspection, and final inspection. His services also include registering for LG&E rebates. He stated, "the LG&E rebates should more than cover my costs in most cases." RESPONSE: I did not quote you $450, I provided two prices for our services based on the total square feet of the house and number of HVAC systems. Here is the exact quote "Our fees are $450 for single-system homes under 2,500 SF (including basements) and $600 for homes up to 6,500 SF with two systems max". Your first floor is 1909 SF, and the basement is the same, so the total area of your house is 3,818 SF, thus the $600 price. "Though he claimed that he got our house registered with the LG&E program in time, LG&E "received so many registrations in January due to the program ending that they are not guaranteeing that all registered homes will get rebates at this point." This was in January 2014." RESPONSE: I have no control over LG&E's rebate program and I told you from the beginning that there were limited resources left and the middle of January was the last chance to submit site registrations for the program. Your site was submitted in time, and I confirmed this with you in February after your email inquiry. It then took another 4 months before the house was ready for the pre-drywall inspection, and immediately after the pre-drywall inspection I sent you an email stating that there was about one month left to submit rebate applications, and that I would need to test the house and finish the HERS rating before I could apply for the rebate. I then told you to let me know as soon as drywall was in and attic insulation installed, so that I could test the house and try to get you in before the rebates ended. I never heard back from you. "In January 2014, Eric George told me "The details you provided are excellent and will help me put together a more accurate Projected Rating for your home." The Projected rating was not done until May 13, 2014. Building Performance Group finally sent the report to me on August 5, 2014 with a note "Sorry for the delay." The report is ultimately worthless because the new home was already under roof with all the drywall in place." RESPONSE: Again, this is irrelevant. The projected rating was created based upon the details that you initially provided along with the blueprints. The fact you didn't receive the report until after the pre-drywall inspection does not make them "worthless". If we were actually asked to finish the HERS Rating, this same report file would be used to enter the final data that we would have collected at the final inspection. "Building Performance Group told us everything looked fine during their thermal bypass inspection. In my opinion, the missed spots that I had to discover on our own, making us wonder I they actually did anything. We know that Building Performance Group was at the property because they taped one of their signs to our front window." RESPONSE: What exactly are these "missed spots" that you had to discover on your own? I recall having this conversation with you back in August, but don't recall any specific issues that you found. The whole house was spray-foamed and there are typically not many issues we find when this material is installed. If the house would've been insulated with fiberglass batts, I'm sure we would've found a lot more issues, but it wasn't , and we didn't. "Additionally, Mr. George could not remember that our basement is not a walk-out, nor could he remember that we have a geothermal system; and he made lengthy irrelevant recommendations on these misconceptions. He made other recommendations that I did not like, such as installing a "hybrid" heat-pump water heater. RESPONSE: Here is your exact response to my recommendation about using a heat-pump water heater. On March 3rd, 3:12pm in your email you said "That is great advice about the water heater. I will definitely ask the builder and geothermal guy about this." The only reason I thought you might have a walk-out basement is because the blueprints for the basement show a patio right outside the back wall. I had not been to the house yet, so this was an innocent mistake. "Finally, on June 19, 2014, Building Performance Group sent out 2 different invoices, with 2 different amounts, to 2 different people for the same location for work that was not done. The first step, the Projected Rating, was not sent to me until August 5. Eric George told me he does not send out the billing himself, and the mistake must have been done by someone in his office. RESPONSE: This is factually correct, except for the claim that "work was not done", and I have been trying to straighten this out with you ever since you made me aware of it.

02/28/2014

James K.

I started the process of wanting to insulate my mid-1920s home. I had limited knowledge about home insulation and other ways to become more energy efficient. After contacting several reputable companies I realized there were many options. I could insulate the attic floor with cellouse or perhaps fiberglass or I could foam my roof deck and create a conditioned space in my attic. I could insulate the band joist in the basement (foam or foam board). Also I could insulate my exterior walls (again foam, cellouse or fiberglass), seal my ducts (seal from the outside or from the inside) or get new windows. Which solution or combinations of solutions were best? Was there a solution that was best for all homes or did all homes have a different “best” solution? The sales people who looked at my home were knowledgeable about ways to become more energy efficient. But they naturally recommended to me the products and service they offered. And if they offered several was I getting the best for me or the most profitable for them? Not having the knowledge to base a good decision I needed someone with both the knowledge and someone not biased by wanting to sell me something. So I called Eric George at Building Performance. His business is doing an Energy Audit to show the issues in your home. Calling Eric was a good decision. Eric is very knowledgeable and bases his recommendations on the specific facts he uncovers about your house. He provides you with a though report that identifies the issues found and recommendations for each. You will find that all homes are unique and have their own "best" solution. Eric will consult with you to find which recommendations are the ones that will give you the best return on your investment. He will answer your questions and consult with you about the options. He offers names of a variety of reputable contractors that he has seen their work and approach to their job. I received excellent value for what I paid for the audit. In the end I was confident that with the education I received from Eric that I could make a good decision.

Description of Work
Provided an Energy Audit.

Category insulation,energy audit

Thanks for the great review James! I enjoyed working with you and appreciate your kind words!

01/27/2014

Deanna M.

Eric did an excellent job checking our home. He did the door blower to check for cold air leaks and the infrared camera. He checked our HVAC system and also checked our attic for lack of insulation. He discovered that whoever had done the insulation in our home had completely forgot to insulate our daughters bedroom. We had quite a few insulation issues. He also supplied us with a 35 page report detailing everything he did and what we can do to fix the problem. He also gave us a list of recommended contractors. This is very helpful because we are not from the area.

Description of Work
We have very expensive energy/gas bills and wanted Eric to evaluate our home.

Category insulation,energy audit

Thank you for the great review [member name removed]! I appreciate your business and referrals!

03/11/2013

Kay K.

I paid for a big deal from Angie's List. It was an excellent experience. They were clearly knowledgeable and efficient. They explained things to me as they went along doing the audits. There was a young man named Sean and he did the audit. He was just particularly skilled in his work as well as knowledgeable. He was able to communicate information to me about what he was doing. The report that they sent was 44 pages. They were very thorough and helpful because I had somebody to do some upgrading of my insulation based on their report. The price was excellent because I got the deal.

Description of Work
Building Performance Group did a total energy audit.

Best Option Restoration - East Louisville

Here at Best Option Restoration- East Louisville, we treat our customers like family, which means we treat your home or business like it's our home or business; we treat it with care and respect. Water and Mold Damage can be an overwhelming situation for anyone. Let us take the burden from you. We take all the proper precautions to keep your family and home safe and communicate with you every step of the way. We can even perform the re-build work to get your property back to pre-loss condition. We work with all insurance carriers, as well as self-pay customers. When you choose us, you're choosing the best option!

Thermapro

We have the experience and dedication to do the job right the first time! We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. Call to schedule an estimate today!

Sick Home Solutions LLC

Sick Home Solutions is a Home Improvement & Restoration Company like no other that offers Solutions for Sick Buildings. We start with a Complete Diagnostics Investigations for Health and Safety of the Property. Our "Healthy Home Check Up" is a service that includes up to 2 different Inspectors with Specialty Tools and Instruments performing a Complete Visual Inspection with Reports for the Building looking into overall Health, Safety & Maintenance Conditions of the Property. Our motto at Sick Home Solutions is "WE BRING IT TO LIGHT TO DO IT RIGHT"!!! Jeremy Fuller & Jason Crapo have been Involved in the Building Science, Environmental Inspection & Construction Industries Since 1997. There Passion together is to Help Property Owners & Families to protect their Health, Safety and Property... PROPERTY ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES Testing services include testing for MOLDS, AIR, VOC'S, CARBON MONOXIDE, CARBON DIOXIDE, HUMIDITY, HIDDEN MOISTURE PROPERTY SAFETY & CODE SERVICE Testing services include testing for PLUMBING, STRUCTURAL,HVAC, VENTILATION, DEHUMIDIFICATION, ROOFING & FOUNDATION RESTORATION & CLEANING AIR, WATER, MOLD FIRE, SMOKE & ODORS REBUILD & RECONSTRUCT ROOFING, DRY WALL, SIDING, GUTTERS, DRAINAGE, HVAC, PLUMBING, WINDOWS, REMODELING, FLOORING, BATHROOM, KITCHEN, BASEMENT

1620025
    USA
    RESNET
    05/01/2017
    Check, Visa, PayPal, Financing Available

Energy efficiency consulting, thermal comfort, moisture management, structural durability, indoor air quality, infrared camera inspections & thermal imaging, blower-door diagnositcs, duct-leakage testing, carbon monoxide testing, gas leak detection, flat-roof leak detection & energy auditing, Energy Star Home certification, HERS Ratings.