Earthworks Landscape

Founded 1982 • With Angi since November 2010

For 35yrs Earthworks has been designing and installing South Florida landscapes for all budgets and all types of tastes. Larry Dieterich is a certifiable plant freak whose passion for unusual and interesting plants makes for unique and longlasting landscapes. Having traveled throughout the world researching and collecting unusual palms, plants, bromeliads and aroids I am bored by the mundane and predictable pallete so commonly seen in the average yard. This is not to say i install plants so rare they require specialized maintenance and watering. I believe a good landscape design should serve the test of time, be in scale with the area of work, have strong "curb appeal " and is easily maintained. And of course have moderate to low watering needs. I am known, at least in name, by nearly anyone worthwhile in the south florida nursery, plant and landscape world. Several photos of myself can be seen in the foremost authoritative text on palms," An encyclopedia of cultivated palms" by Paul Craft (my best friend).I have written many articles on landscaping and design for a home improvement magazine. Insured and licensed, I occasionally charge a small deposit($100-200) for a landscape sketch, which is refunded against any work contracted, (provided the work is contracted in full). I am Earthworks... the head hole digger, designer, rock placer, truck driver, delivery boy and my own worst critic. All attributes that ensure your work is installed as best it can be. Warranty policies; Plants want to live, even in a vacant lot there may just be weeds but plant life is evident and unavoidable. If a plant we install dies there is a reason and a solution. Numerous factors are at play in the urban environment, it may be our fault or it may be your fault and depending on who, what and where the fault lies determines the approach to a resolution. Labor is a commodity we can replace, the dead plant may not be. However service is the single most memorable quality a client refers to, and Earthworks is commited to prompt reliable service. Rock work and boulder installation as well as waterfall work is a special talent of Earthworks. A huge fan of Graham Stuart Thomas, Larry "sees" elevation and rockwork as an asset when and where it is feasible and more importantly, be esthetically appropriate. Not as an afterthought or an "add-on" to compliment the final invoice! But I do not do multi-colored mulch/gravel or cheesy little stacked stone walls around the base of a palm!! Budget is usually criteria one to most clients and I am mindful to accomodate the plant design and selection within the desired budget. However, if that budget is unrealistic for the area to be covered I will work with the client to stage the project or, phase down the scope of plant sizes and spacings. I charge an hourly labor rate of $105 for a crew separate from the plant and materials cost. My Nursery, is a ten acre tropical paradise replete with a 25 foot swing over our alligator inhabited pond. Visitors are welcome 7 days a week provided they call for an appointment and children are welcome...to weed anything! The important part of selecting any contractor is establishing a level of trust. I'm Larry and I thrive on trust. I did not choose this profession for the money making capabilities it provides, or the short hours and health benefits. I do it because I love it, I strain to be pragmatic and realistic in my design and plant selections. I have 10 acres of plants so I understand maintenance..believe me. More importantly I know plants and what works and where to get them and how to make a yard look amazing, all within a reasonable budget. Please read the reviews here on AngieslList, I am not the fastest landscaper but possibly the most serious and I greatly appreciate your taking the time to read this rant/Bio. I hope you might consider me for your landscape project to whatever degree that may entail. Sincerely, Larry Dieterich....

LELIS BRICK

Lelis Brick works with hardscape including all kinds of pavers installations, pool decks and tiles. The company started doing coping and tile installation in swimming pools and now it also installs pavers around pools. It has been in business since 2004.

Exotic Pavers

We are South Florida's Finest Brick Paver Installation Company. We will meet or beat any legitimate quote, and provide our customers with a FREE Estimate. We are Fully Licensed & Insured. Our company Accepts all forms of Payment from Cash, Check, ALL credit cards (3% fee).

Offers by Exotic Pavers on Angi
Terra Tiles & Pavers

Terra Tiles & Pavers (or Terra Pavers) focuses on exterior remodeling and brand new construction of pools, pool decks, patios, walkways and driveways. We use pavers of all styles, colors and materials to add that wanted warmth, appeal and class so sought after. We use the best of the best in regards to materials and have intimate relation with the biggest manufacturers and importers of concrete pavers, natural stone (Travertine and Marbles) and clay bricks. We have the best qualified installers. We run very formal operations with all sort of county licenses & liability insurances. Terra Tiles & Pavers is a legally registered paving and flooring company made out of true professionals driven by the passion of delivering the best possible finished product. Every step of the process is equally important to us. From sales, conception and design, to materials selection and construction our people will make you feel good, will give you peace of mind and will surely give you the highest quality product.

09/27/2020

Paj M.

Owner of Earthworks kept his appointment and was very helpful with wonderful ideas. Said he would get back to me with a rough sketch and I never heard from him again. Left a message and texts several times and nothing. Poor communication.

Description of Work
back patio

Category landscaping,greenhouses,hardscaping

02/15/2019

Judith K.

Excellent! Larry designed a perfect layout for our house. He knows the soil, grading conditions, and plants to use and is easy to work with, answering all our questions. He removed all the old landscaping as needed, included the trees we wanted to keep in his design, re-did the sprinkler system to water the new plants, and explained everything as he went along. We will continue to use his services. He is the ultimate professional.

Description of Work
re-landscape front yard

01/21/2019

enid O.

Fantastic! The yard is so beautiful that everyone that comes over wants to know who did the landscaping

Description of Work
Tree trimming and removal and landscape design

Category landscaping,tree service,greenhouses

03/01/2016

Doris W.

Have to tell you, the best experience from this company. If you ever need an honest, reliable and very knowledgeable Landscaper/Tree service, I would highly recommend Larry of Earthworks; He knew exactly what kind of trees to plant, where to plant them, prices very very reasonable. We will definitely be using his services in the future and will be recommending him to everyone of our neighbors. Thanks again Larry for the great job.

Description of Work
Removed very large tree roots and planted 2 large trees

Category landscaping,tree service

This was an out-of-town customer working w a difficult foreclosed home and trying hard to do right by the city code enforcement. Fortunately, being as old as a tree myself and having many local connections, I know the city horticulturalist personally and was able to help them get the needed trees installed of a type and size that suited the small lot and architectural style of this older home. I'm grateful for the work and the clients belief and confidence in my choices.

02/08/2016

christy M.

Larry and his team were professional, knowledgeable, and friendly from the initial visit to the final details. We explained to Larry broadly what our problems were (everything was dead in our backyard) and what we were hoping to achieve (dense screening, low maintenance plants, a tropical look, and wildlife-friendly landscaping), and then we let him take it from there. We know very little about plants and felt confident from talking to him that he knows A LOT, so we felt comfortable letting him determine what would work best based on our desired outcome. I can not stress enough how thrilled we are with the final product. The yard has been completely transformed. It is exactly what we were hoping for but could never in a million years have planned, purchased, and planted ourselves. Larry is extremely patient in explaining all the options, plants, growing patterns, etc. and is truly invested in the outcome. His team is as professional and friendly as he is. I wholeheartedly recommend Earthworks to anyone looking for a landscaper that is deeply knowledgeable, easy to work with, detail oriented, and committed to a great final product.

Description of Work
Redesigned our backyard landscaping from a barren wasteland of dead plants to a beautiful tropical oasis.

Category landscaping

Yay me...I sound like a broken record but any successful job is a two way effort. Here again I had two very interested, trusting intelligent clients whose biggest asset was trust. I cannot thank them enough for that and look forward to working with them again in the future as the garden matures and evolves.

09/19/2015

Evan B.

Larry's among the best. He put his heart and soul into transforming our hideous yard into a welcoming and beautiful oasis. Our architect had done a tremendous job redesigning the interior and I wanted the outside to be just as gorgeous. And I got it! The scene's a jawdropper. And with Larry, you get a consummate professional without the ego which so frequently accompanies such skill. He constantly asked for my input and spent hours mulling the design. How often do you find anyone willing to put that much care into their work. This business isn't Larry's job, it's his passion. And the landscape he created here isn't just a garden, it's my Eden.

Description of Work
Graded area around newly installed pool and sodded. Removed existing landscaping in front of home, regraded and installed new plantings.

Category landscaping,greenhouses

05/06/2015

Jim W.

We absolutely love Larry! From the start, Larry met with us to go over our preferences for style, plant varieties and expectations. He is very hands on and the most knowledgeable landscape designer we've ever worked with - creative, passionate and extremely talented. The plans he creates are sustainable to the area and fit in perfectly with the environment. He created a landscape oasis for us out of a blank slate for our front and back yards, and it is better than we could ever have imagined. The best thing to do is just let Larry do his thing, he will always come up with a perfect design for you, and will put many hours in making sure it is perfect. Thank you Angies List for the recommendation - best contractor we have worked with in South Florida.

Description of Work
Full scale design of landscape plan, implementation, irrigation system and lighting

Category landscaping

I should have paid them! This couple are every contractors dream, very, very did I emphasize the very yet? Patient !! And I think it paid off. As usual what were the big plus factors? Architecture, setting, existing established trees and CLIENT Interest and enthusiasm. It was a pleasure and privilege to work at their home...especially when their D O G was out to greet me!! I can't thank them enough for this opportunity and the great review here.

04/21/2015

lorna B.

In August 2014 EarthWorks/Larry Dieterich completed a $25,000 landscaping project for us. We were thrilled and gave Larry a 5-star review. Larry came back in December, replaced plants as needed at his cost. I called Larry in early March. I hadn't paid him for December and apologized for my mistake. The charge was approximately $350.00. In the past 6 weeks I have emailed and called Larry at least 7 times. I have yet to hear from him. I need Larry to replace plants that have died in a key focal point in the front walkway. Now I am using someone else and paying again for work I already paid for. I like Larry and I don't like giving him a poor review on Angie?s list, but his complete lack of response to my multiple phone messages and emails leaves me with no choice. I thought we'd be customers for life, I guess not.

Description of Work
Landscaped our yard

Category landscaping

I guess I am getting this review and not a check. Anyone reading this should read the review this client wrote on page 4 of my reviews dated Aug 18 2014. I do not understand why I would be asked to do work, complete that work and the warranty work, be told I would receive payment and instead get this bad review. Now I'm expected to return and do MORE maintenance work?! As I have pointed out before...only the non-paying clients write poor reviews, maybe to justify their actions. Oh well, I'm sure the "next company" will work with no deposit and hope to get paid in 5 months....or get a review like mine.

04/17/2015

Bruce H.

It is rare to meet someone, these days, who still cares about quailty of their work and takes such pride in every detail. Larry is just such a person. He was hands on (and hands in) with every phase of the work done. His expansive knowledge of plants was simply amazing. He went above and beyond helping us with things he really did not have to, which was greatly apprecitated. The job turned out better than we could have imagined. We look forward to working with him again in the near future. I would give an A+, if they had them!!

Description of Work
Landscaping, design and irrigation system.

Category landscaping,irrigation systems

Well the clients failed to mention they had a rare "ringer" in their corner, decent architecture. That and the ability to "see" what I coerced them to believe would be a reflection of that architecture. I have probably overused the T word (trust) but what a difference it makes and cinched the project here again. The clients willingness to back my design suggestions deserves most of the credit in the success of the end result. It went so far as to carry over to installing a rain chain which perfectly complimented another detail of the home. I was grateful to be included in this project and trusted to handle it as I saw fit. They are being politely and selectively forgetful by 2K with the budget (which I had hoped would be closer to 5-6K ) when including a ridiculous dumpster charge, additional sod and labor. But again, financing a design often involves unexpected, yet crucial components to make the work succeed. Thank you both for being so supportive!!

04/16/2015

Amanda M.

I was in a bind and called Larry at 10am today. A different landscaper had planted hedges around my fence too far out and on my neighbor's property line. The sprinkler company is coming out on Saturday to lay new drip lines for the hedges and I needed the hedges moved right away. Larry was in the area and came over right away to give me an estimate. We agreed upon a very reasonable price. Larry showed up right after lunch and finished the job in well under 2 hours. The hedges look great!!! He was very careful to insure the hedges got plenty of water when he transplanted them and planted them in a nice, straight line! i couldn't be more pleased with his work. Larry even talked to me about how to finish up the lawn in the back yard and made suggestions for some landscaping in my front yard. I will DEFINITELY be calling upon Larry to do some more work in my yard! A very good experience, thanks Larry!

Description of Work
Moved hedges on my property that were incorrectly placed by a previous landscaper.

Category landscaping,irrigation systems

Maybe I should buy a cape....it just worked out because the timing was perfect, she was in a time crunch, I was nearby and had time to help. I appreciate the business and the kind words, thank YOU!

Landscape Design & Installation, Low Voltage Landscape Lighting, Palm, Tree Delivery & Installation, Boulders, Waterfalls, Water Features, Pavers & Hardscaping & Walkways, Some Sod Work, Fertilization, Soil Testing, Plant Transportation & Brokerage, Tiki Hut Construction, Tree & Palm Transplanting, Rootpruning, Annuals Installation, Maintenance & Contract Growing, Plant Babysitting, Storage, Maintenance, Irrigation Repair &Adjusting. Mulching.

grass cutting or maintenance of lawns. Large tree pruning or cutting.