Custom Design Tile

Founded 1986 • With Angi since May 2010

Custom Design Tile is a full scale kitchen and bathroom remodeling company that builds from a basis of quality, doing it the right way, high standards of customer service, showing up on time, and staying to finish the job. Custom Design Tile has never missed a promised completion date. You will

2022 Super Service Award

Alexandria Kitchen Remodel

home remodeling

202122315
Full kitchen and first floor renovation. Removed a wall to open the space
View project

tile installation (135)home remodeling (92)flooring (42)countertop installation (27)plumbers (25)lighting (25)drywall (25)interior painting (22)marble & granite (21)bathtub refinishing (9)cabinet makers (6)plastering (4)

12/06/2022

Ali S.

Just had an extensive remodel of two bathrooms done by CDT and am really pleased with the results and the process. This is a family-owned company with decades of experience, great attention to detail and superb workmanship. It was a very collaborative process in terms of deciding on the design, materials and layout. Communication was terrific and they were very responsive to any questions or concerns. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Extensive renovation of one bathroom, including new tile, fixtures, vanity, and tub and re-tiling and fixture replacement in second bathroom.

07/21/2022

Amy N.

We put off a bathroom renovation for years, in part because we were skeptical about the risk and hassles of using a contractor. We were extremely lucky that a neighbor recommended Custom Design Tile. The owners (Brian and Mike) are knowledgeable, honest, and considerate. Straight talk is the only way they do business. Amazingly, they fit in our job about two weeks after our initial meeting. They and their employee were skilled, minimized disruptions, and alerted us to an underlying problem. They gave us a great price for the additional work the problem caused and procured the piece that was needed right away. When the job finished, they left the place spotless. We are 110% happy with their work and I've already recommended them to a friend.

Description of Work
Bathroom renovation

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, drywall, home remodeling

Work Completed On 07/18/2022

03/12/2022

Thomas D.

Mike was excellent at helping select the materials, he has great relationships with different vendors. Jose was fantastic, he was the key person on both bath remodels. His quality was excellent. Work was on budget, and on schedule. There were no surprises. Only a few minor changes, which were handled without any issue. The entire process was drama free, stress free. I could not be happier. They cleaned up every day, and minimized any construction mess. Great communication, reasonable quote and detailed allowances, very good material vendors.

Description of Work
Two bathroom remodels

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 02/01/2022

11/11/2021

Mike W.

From start to finish this job was professionally managed, communicated, and worked by Mike Brennan and Jack Loffredo. Both Mike and Jack were very clear in the process, how phases worked for the project, and let me know immediately of any issues that could throw a monkey wrench in completion. This company is professional and very good at their jobs, but more than anything else, is very good at keeping a customer in the communications loop on a project, which for me started in July when I first contacted Custom Design Tile for a potential job. I would hire them tomorrow for more work. By my process to get this project done, I found several tile companies that did not set the same standard of work and customer service as Custom Design Tile. I am very happy with the project and the process. A bonus is both Mike and Jack are Hokies, just like me. Thanks very much for caring so much about your work gentleman.

Description of Work
Remodel of basement bathroom.

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, home remodeling

Work Completed On 11/11/2021

Thanks for the review! It was a pleasure working with you!

09/14/2021

Leeann T.

Excellent! The bathroom looks great. Mike and his team committed to a two and a half week project and finished in the quoted timeframe. I appreciated the time, patience and advice from Mike on choosing the right cabinet and tile. Would highly recommend!

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel

Work Completed On 08/31/2021

08/24/2021

Paul Y.

Look no farther...Custom Design Tile is the perfect company to remodel your bathroom! We contacted Mike to remodel our master bathroom in March 2021. Mike gave us a fair quote with detailed allowances in a few days after visiting our home. However, after the completion of our master bathroom; I can say it was totally worth every penny! Mike took us shopping for a day (about 6 hrs.) to many great companies including Mosaic Tile, Ferugson and VA Marble & Granite... to name a few. Throughout the shopping day, designers of various companies and Mike guided us through the selection. Just a hint before the shopping day, try to have a few pictures of design concept goals for your bathroom. I love that we had a lot of say on our design of our bathroom concept, and not being ran over by only designers' selections. Our master bathroom was a complete gut job. We removed all the builder grade tile shower, shower plastic pan, soaking Roman tub, toilet, vanity, large flat mirror, recessed in medicine cabinets and floor tiles. We did have some water damage from previous aged shower pan; so be open that some unexpected expenses will occur with things that is underling below the old tiles. CDT uses Schluter System Kerdi waterproofing material as the shower membrane; we are very confident in their choice of material and detailed work to our new shower. The duration of our remodel was about 6 weeks, with no work on weekends (which we liked that they don't work on weekends) and rotations due to other project(s). The CDT team of tile guy, electricians, plumbers and painters were supervised by project manager Jack, are highly skilled and respectful to our property. They placed floor covering as their walkway from main entrance to bathroom to protect our flooring. The team scheduled to work on a task that day arrived around 8-9am and leave about 2:30-3:30pm. On almost every day, we got an email from Jack with respect to a check list on task(s) that was performed that day; and the expected task(s) to be done on the following day. Jack is very reliable, and totally on top on daily communication with us. Jack and Mike are always responsive to my emails throughout the project. So easy to communicate with them. They are true professionals, with quality of service is totally top notch! I cannot say more than enough of our new completed master bathroom. We got a beautiful shower glass door, tiled shower floor, new plumbing shower system, free standing soaking tub, stunning porcelain slate tile flooring, custom vanity with quartz countertop, toilet, new arranged recess lighting, exhaust fan..etc. We absolutely love Custom Design Tile, so much that we are already planning with Mike on the next project, our guest full bathroom which will beginning hopefully by late autumn.

Description of Work
Remodel Master Bathroom

Work Completed On 08/24/2021

Review for Custom Design Tile - PO Box 758, Annandale, VA - 39451268

Thank you!!

08/23/2021

Heidi U.

Best experience I’ve had with any home renovation project. Mike and his team did a superb job completing a partial bathroom renovation and retiling of my fireplace. Their tile work is impeccable, and I appreciated the crew’s attention to detail on every facet of the project. Mike did a superb job of communicating each step of the project with me, and the entire process was seamless and transparent. The end result is fabulous, and I couldn’t be happier. I will definitely hire Custom Design Tile again.

Description of Work
Bathroom Renovation and Fireplace Retiling

Category ceramic tile, drywall, flooring contractor, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 08/11/2021

07/09/2021

Guangyu C.

Custom Design Tile has done a fantastic job building our basement bathroom. Brian was a very clear communicator. Throughout the process, he kept us updated and we know exactly what's going to happen and what to expect. The subcontractors they hired were all very professional and had very high quality work. We are very happy with the new bathroom and will definitely hire them again in the future.

Description of Work
Build Basement Bathroom

Category ceramic tile, drywall, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 06/25/2021

06/17/2021

Amanda P.

I've hired contractors for similar projects at multiple houses, and I have to say that this was probably the best experience I've ever had. The responsiveness and customer service were great, and the quality of work was outstanding. They kept me informed during the entire 3-4 week project and always answered my questions in a timely fashion. There were a couple unanticipated hiccups, and they were so patient, flexible, and helpful. They were also extra careful to keep messes at a minimum, which is completely different from a lot of other contractors I've worked with. I was kicked out (or rather self-exiled from) my bedroom the entire time because it looked like a scene from ET with plastic sheets everywhere from floor to ceiling, but it was worth it! I especially appreciated how polite and respectful they were. If I didn't understand something, they explained it to me in an informative yet polite way, like I was a human being or something. Never once did they mansplain, speak to me condescendingly, or automatically ask to speak to my husband, which unfortunately happens to me a lot as a female. Major kudos to Mike, Jack, and their crew for making my place look perfect!

Description of Work
Bathroom remodeling and other work

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, drywall, flooring contractor, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 06/17/2021

02/25/2021

Erin C.

Mike the owner at CDT was great. He gave an accurate and detailed quote, in line with pricing from other quotes we got. Had to wait in the queue to get work started, which also is in line with other contractors. Everyone is super busy these days. Mike came with us to pick out tiles, something we were unsure about and didn't have grand ideas in advance. He helped us make good choices for us that really looked great once installed. The team that did the demo, tile and plumbing work (Jose and Julio, with decades of experience) paid attention to details and left the workspace neat and clean when they left each evening. Mike came by almost daily to check the progress and answer questions. The main team was courteous and wore masks at all times in our home. Once the main work was done, Mike had a great painter/drywall guy come in and make the whole thing look pristine and an experienced electrician install recessed lighting and update some outdated wiring the previous owner had done that was a potential hazard. All-around good work and felt Mike (and his dad) were honest and direct. The couple of minor issues we ran into were dealt with correctly and transparently. Pricing was in line with the competition. We selected CDT because other reviews praised how they shepherded the entire project and managed all the moving parts seamlessly. We were not disappointed.

Description of Work
Bath Remodeling

Work Completed On 01/11/2021

Review for Custom Design Tile - PO Box 758, Annandale, VA - 39250060

Thanks! Great working with you!

12/05/2020

Melissa L.

CDT was responsive throughout the four month process. I appreciated Mike's attention to detail and communication on all aspects of the projects. These qualities alone, along with a fair DMV price, made CDT worth the wait.

Description of Work
bathroom remodel

Category bathtub refinishing, home remodeling

Work Completed On 12/04/2020

10/23/2020

Gena W.

I had an appointment with Brian from 1-2pm. I followed up with him at 1:42pm and he was leaving Great Falls and said he would be at my place in Arlington in 20-25 minutes. He seemed to be running late so I pushed my 2:00pm appointment to 3:00pm. I called at 2:17pm and didn't get an answer. I called again at 2:25pm and he said he was 5 minutes away. At 2:35pm I called and asked if this is how he did projects (late, no communication). He knew I had 3:00 appointment but never called to say he was running very late. I have no idea about the quality of his work because we never got that far. I just think he was inconsiderate so I wouldn't recommend him.

Description of Work
Kitchen Tile & Floors

Work Completed On 10/23/2020

[Member Name Removed] you are right we did have an appointment scheduled with a window from 1-2 pm for my arrival. You did call me at 1:45 pm to find out why I hadn’t showed up at 1 pm that you had scheduled another appointment for 2 pm. I did remind you that I gave you a window from 1-2 and offered to come after the other appointment. I explained I lived only 5 min away and gave you the option to call me when your other appointment for 2 pm was finished. I did tell you I thought I could get to you within 25 min from my current location and you decided to push your other appointment back. It did take me longer than I anticipated and was distracted by other phone calls on the way over to you. You are right, it was inconsiderate of me not to let you know as I was on my way over that it was taking longer then expected and I’m am truly sorry! I wish you the best of luck with your project, Brian

08/22/2020

Terry K.

CDT did an excellent job. They returned our call within a day to give us an estimate. The actual project turned out to be a bit less than the estimate. When we went to pick out the tile everything was ready for us and Mike from CDT was at the store and guided us through the process. It took CDT four days to take up the old floor and install the new floor and backsplash. Mike and his team were professional, punctual and very neat. We are thrilled with our new floor and backsplash, would definitely use CDT again!

Description of Work
CDT installed a new floor and backsplash in our kitchen.

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, home remodeling

Work Completed On 08/21/2020

06/29/2020

john C.

Custom Design Tile took a budget I gave and designed an incredible kitchen. The work they did and everyone of the craftsmen was/were high quality. I couldn't be happier and highly recommend them. I will definitely use them again

Description of Work
kitchen remodel

Category countertops, drywall, flooring contractor, lighting, plumbing, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 06/29/2020

Review for Custom Design Tile - PO Box 758, Annandale, VA - 38770833

Thanks for the review!

06/24/2020

David V.

The tiling of my small bathroom floor appears to have gone well but one never truly knows until months or years later. The workers were punctual and respectful and the finished floor looks good. My only minor complaints/concerns are the following: 1) I was informed by Brian that the workers would install the tile in the morning, then take a long lunch break and return in afternoon to finish with the grout so that to give enough time for the mortar to dry. That made sense to me even when using a quick drying thinset based on dozens of Youtube videos from professional tilers I have watched. However, the two tile installers completed the job in 5 hours without taking any lunch break so I am little concerned that maybe sometime down the road I may have issues. 2) Brian suggested that I use a different grout than the one I had purchased (which is fine) and offered to pick it up for me at the tile store. I said that was fine. My only minor complaint is that it cost $60 cause the grout needed to be special ordered whereas the same grout cost $30 at home depot. The money is insignificant but I felt he should have known being in the business for 30 years that the same grout was available for $30 cheaper. Its not the measly $30 but rather the principle of trying to find the best deal for the client. 3) Lastly, the two workers took their face masks off shortly after beginning their work. For me, it was no big deal and I could have easily asked them to put the masks back on but I am not overly sensitive to the COVID 19 risks but I would think others may be. Like I said before the floor looks great but I just wanted to give a detailed summary of these minor concerns.

Description of Work
Install Tile floor in small bathroo

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile

Work Completed On 06/12/2020

Thank you for the review! I would be happy to address your concerns. The thinset mortar we use is a rapid set that sets up extremely fast. The installers use this product almost everyday so they know when you can get on it. We stand behind our work and if you do have an issue in the future please call us. The cost of the grout is what our vendor charges for the grout. I use Mosaic Tile because I have a relationship with them and I trust the product they are selling. I know some products at big box stores (like Home Depot, Lowes) are solid with less expensive parts. An example is plumbing valves at big box stores are made with plastic interior parts compared to ceramic. I do not know if this is the case with the grout but I use my vendor because if there is ever an issue with the grout they will stand behind it. I appreciate the feed back. Enjoy your new bathroom floor!

05/28/2020

Richard W.

We just completed the last of 3 bathroom remodels in our home, all done by Mike Brennan's Custom Design Tile crew. During the last 35 years in this house we've had many remodeling projects and Mike Brennan's Custom Design Tile is by far the best we've ever had. His lead man, Modesto, is the best tile person we've ever had the pleasure to work with. He quickly resolved several complex issues concerning layout, structure and plumbing, and he is a true artist when it comes to tile work and design. Mike's crews are experienced and accomplished professionals, as is Mike himself. Mike was able to resolve all issues from a management perspective and was a complete pleasure to work with. The price was fair and work quality was excellent. I fully recommend this company for any bathroom, or other remodeling project involving tile and design work.

Description of Work
Removal of all tile on walls, floor and base. Redo plumbing to accommodate new faucets and fixtures, install new vanity, and granite top & sinks. Install new tile on floors, shower, with new niches in the walls, and re-tile entire Jacuzzi enclosure, all with decorative glass tile accents.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, plumbing, home remodeling

Work Completed On 05/28/2020

Thanks for the review! It was a pleasure working with you also!

04/19/2020

Daniel G.

Brian and Mike were excellent work with. They were friendly, professional, punctual, and communicative. The actual work went quickly and was beautifully done. We are so happy with the work (we had our vestibule and enclosed porch retiled). The price was lower than most of the other quotes but the work was really well done. Would definitely hire again!

Description of Work
Tile installation

Work Completed On 04/15/2020

Review for Custom Design Tile - PO Box 758, Annandale, VA - 38508330

04/09/2020

Lisa O.

This company offered to buy the tiles so I didn’t have to shop. They were timely and professional.

Description of Work
installed a new backslash

Work Completed On 09/09/2020

Thanks for the review!

03/19/2020

Kenneth B.

The entire team was fantastic. Brian scheduled all of the appointments (tile, vanity, countertops, etc) for me and offered his opinions on design ideas. I let him pick most of it but there was no pressure and when he suggested something that I wasn't 100% convinced was right for me, he showed me lots and lots of other options to find something that I liked. Based on Brian's idea, I had them remove a bulkhead in the bathroom and it makes a huge difference! Brian and Mike were both extremely responsive via email and easy to get in touch with. The estimate was fair and the work did not go over budget (I picked a more expensive tile, but Brian told me that as we were looking at tiles; it was not a surprise after the fact). The crew did great work in all aspects. They put down floor liners and always left my condo clean each night and at the end of the project. You might save a few dollars going elsewhere but you will not get a better end product.

Description of Work
Master Bath Full Remodel

Category ceramic tile, countertops, flooring contractor, lighting, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 03/09/2020

Thanks! The bathroom turned out beautiful!

10/25/2019

Anthony M.

Custom Design Tile are just simply the best. Mike came out and from moment one was so impressive. He explained things in detail and was very patient. They finished on time and on budget. And everything turned out exactly the way Mike described and it looks absolutely amazing. I now see why they are A rated and so many people are pleased with them. Finding a contractor that is honest and keeps to their word is more than challenging. So when you find one like these guys you 'd better hold on with both hands.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel

Category drywall, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/25/2019

10/09/2019

Rachel Y.

Our remodel turned out great! We could not have asked for a better team. They were very professional, engaging and knowledgeable. Our tile looks great because the workers were super thoughtful when installing. We recommend using Mike and his team for any remodel and/or tile work!

Description of Work
Remodel for basement and bathroom

Category ceramic tile, remodeling

Work Completed On 10/09/2019

Thanks

08/22/2019

Amanda B.

I could not be happier with my experience with Custom Design Tile. Brian and Mike were incredibly thorough and professional. They paid attention to detail and were enthusiastic about the project. Their crew was incredibly polite and professional. Also, I was incredibly grateful to find a contractor that was both on time and on budget. All in all, they made a major renovation as easy as possible. Beautiful work. I would choose them again in a heartbeat.

Description of Work
Renovation of my sole bathroom

Category ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, flooring contractor, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 07/08/2019

Review for Custom Design Tile - PO Box 758, Annandale, VA - 38060623

06/26/2019

Matt S.

Brian, Mike and the rest of their team are fantastic. We have used their services twice now. For our biggest job, we had a full bathroom remodel done and are very happy with the results. Brian and his team are master craftsmen and pay attention to every detail. You can tell that they really care about doing the job right. It is also great that Brian takes you shopping to pick out all of your materials and gives great recommendations on styles, paint colors, etc. Having help deciding on all of the design aspects of the job is crucial! On the days the work is being done, Mike checks in frequently and makes sure everything is being done to your specifications. Everything was smooth sailing from start to finish. I would highly recommend Custom Design Tile.

Description of Work
Full Bathroom Remodel

Category ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, lighting, plumbing, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters