Hutzel Construction

Founded 2002 • With Angi since October 2006

HCCI is a full service self performing, licensed General Contractor, with over 30 years experience in Commercial and Residential Construction and Maintenance. We offer outstanding Quality and Professionalism along with cost effective methods in order to complete your project on time and in budget!

home remodeling (17)tile installation (10)electrician (7)interior painting (6)flooring (6)drywall (6)door installation (4)plumbers (4)glass repair (3)countertop installation (3)general contractors (3)house painting (2)

10/27/2018

Joe I.

Hutzel Construction made this entire project painless. At every step of the process, they handled it with a high level of professionalism. Communication was excellent from their first site visit to the finished product. I can't say enough good things about this company. The owner, Jeff Hutzel, came along with his project manager, Kim, to be involved in the estimating process. He was very honest and upfront in setting our expectations for what could be done in the most cost-effective manner. The project involved completely re-doing the drywall, flooring, and painting in the master bedroom and the master bathroom, as well as painting two other bathrooms. Hutzel's crew took extra care to preserve the original jacuzzi tub, despite Jeff telling us on the front end it was possible the tub could be damaged when they were replacing the tile around it. In my opinion, you can't go wrong hiring Hutzel Construction for your home improvement/renovation/repair project.

Description of Work
repair work due to plumbing leak - master bedroom, bathroom, painting

Category ceramic tile, drywall, flooring contractor, glass repair, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 09/19/2018

06/05/2018

Jeremy B.

This company did a fantastic job! The quality of their work was outstanding and I cannot be happier. Would definitely recommend them to anyone needing a good contractor. Everything was done in a timely manner and exceeded expectations.

Description of Work
House remodel

Work Completed On 06/05/2018

06/04/2018

Julie H.

I had nothing but a wonderful experience with Hutzel. Everyone, from the demo crew to our project manager, Kim, were so very supportive and professional. Renovating a home is stressful, but knowing I had such a fantastic team behind me was assuring. Any issues—-they were minor and few—-were immediately addressed and rectified. We came to Hutzel after being burned by another contractor. We were made to feel encouraged that we were now in the right hands and love the work and expertise that was poured into our home. My family and I cannot thank Hutzel, and especially Kim, enough. Sad to say that customer service is lacking these days, but for Hutzel Construction, it was the cornerstone of a fruitful partnership.

Description of Work
We renovated an entire bottom floor of a house to update it, and to make it more open and family-friendly. This included an entire re-do of a kitchen, master bathroom, and a hall bath. We also had work on bedrooms, a laundry room, dining room, great room, hall bath, and closets.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, concrete repair, countertops, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, picture framing, glass repair, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 03/05/2018

09/13/2016

Larry F.

It didn't go at all. I tried to contact Hutzel over a week ago by phone and left a message with my phone number. After no return call, I tried again yesterday morning and had to leave another message, but no one called back. Now I figure they are not very professional or someone from this company would have contacted me even if they were not interested in doing the job. So, with this in mind, I am giving Hutzel Construction a NEGATIVE rating

Description of Work
install light gage metal roof trusses and metal roof on a concrete block wall building

Category picture framing, roofing

Work Completed On 09/13/2016

05/14/2016

David B.

There was a flood in my unit caused by an incompetent roof contractor and there was water damage. The ceiling in the back collapsed. They completed it on schedule and they showed up when they said they were going to. They did some tile work in my bathroom that I had to have corrected. It's just that the room is not square so some of the tiles just ended up popping out due to the angle at which they had to be installed. So I wish they had gotten it correctly the first time.

Description of Work
They replaced my hardwood floors, some drywall happened, insulation had to be removed and replaced.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/15/2015

02/23/2016

Scott D.

I sent Hutzel Construction a request via Angie's List to do an estimate for an interior re-modeling project at my home based on their good reviews. They responded very quickly to my request and an estimator came out within 2 days. I had pain stakenly written out what work I wanted done task by task in Word document and provided it to the estimator. It was a simple job of installing 1/4 log siding on a 9 x 24 ft wall, installing a recessed electric fireplace and relocating some electric outlets. I got the estimate back about 2 weeks later (after some prodding) and all it was was the tasks I listed (cut and pasted from my Word document) and a total amount for the job at an incredible price of $5,600. I was supplying all of the materials and figured this to be a 1-2 day job for 1 or 2 workers. So I responded to the estimator and nicely asked how she arrived at the $5,600 figure? I just wanted to know the hourly rate and how many workers? Well, she has never responded to me and needless to say, they did not do the work. Just a big waste of every one's time. If for some reason they didn't want the job or couldn't do the job, at least have the courtesy to communicate that.

Description of Work
Provided an estimate

Category electrician, remodeling

Work Completed On 02/04/2016

06/16/2014

Linda G.

Jeff came in and saw what I had and understood what I wanted. For the first time in my life I felt he really did understand what I wanted and needed. I have used many companies over the 33 years I have lived in this house for a room addition, a kitchen remodel, etc but have never been as pleased with the results as I was with the work Jeff and his team did. They came in the first morning about 8 am, unloaded the truck, and began tearing out the back wall of my kitchen. That happened to be the coldest day so far when this started. They had to tear out three windows and a door. It was pouring down rain in addition to being very cold. By noon on this same day they had torn out the old, framed the new windows and installed them along with the door and the house was secure again. I could hardly believe two people could do so much so fast. They continued to work into the afternoon and when they came the next day there were I believe four of his workers and by the time they left that afternoon it was basically done except for painting and that was finished in a couple of hours the next day. They are the nicest, most professional and knowledgeable crew I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with and will certainly use them again. I highly, highly recommend the entire crew.

Description of Work
They replaced the back outside wall of my kitchen.

Category remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 11/15/2013

05/18/2014

Joshua A.

Jeff Hutzel showed up right on time to perform the estimate. Throughout the project, Jeff and his sub-contractors were always on time and extremely professional. He provided a thorough explanation of all of the work that would be done and gave a fair estimate--I'd done a decent amount of research and was happy with his price. The project itself went very smoothly. There were a few minor delays but Jeff was up-front about them and always kept me apprised of the status of the project. My phone calls were always returned within 24 hours and his team was very easy to work with. The concrete patio turned out beautifully and the doors are perfectly installed--I am very pleased with the end result. This review is short, but I view that as a positive. Jeff Hutzel is punctual and professional, and an extremely skilled contractor. I have recommended him to several friends already and would absolutely hire him for a future project!

Description of Work
Installation of French doors and a brushed concrete patio.

Work Completed On 05/07/2014

03/29/2014

James W.

Used to be attic space. Approx 1000 sft.

Description of Work
Framing/drywall build out upstairs.

Category drywall, picture framing, remodeling

Work Completed On 05/15/2012

11/26/2013

Colby C.

Hutzel did a great job we did not have to babysit like you have to do with so many contractors.

Description of Work
Fixed up rental property.

Category decks, remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 10/31/2013

10/07/2013

Darlene B.

Workers were punctual and worked hard. They cleaned up any mess they made and left our yard looking neat. Once the workers started they were totally focused on their work. The patio looks great. We have had two hard rains since that time and not one drop of water has come through. It is really nice to sit out there and watch the rain fall and the sun set with no water and no insects. Jeff is easy to talk to, will make suggestions where necessary but is always willing to work with you in whatever ideas you may have. We plan to use them again in the future. Only one side comment. This company is very busy. You will definitely have to wait your turn but the wait is worth it.

Description of Work
Screened in our patio and put on a roof.

Category sunrooms

Work Completed On 09/28/2013

06/10/2013

DANIEL C.

Jeff was very professional courteous and made an effort to keep my costs down. Sometimes there were pauses of a few days in the work, extending the total time to completion, but I'm very satisfied with the result and the quality of the work!

Description of Work
Remodeled master bathroom.

Work Completed On 11/15/2012

03/19/2013

Erin S.

The contractor was on time, pleasant , professional and helpful. I was given an estimate to replace my roof. The cost was higher than I expected and I decided to put off the project.

Description of Work
I called for an estimate to repair/replace my roof.

Work Completed On 06/26/2012

02/26/2013

Aodhan R.

We would highly recommend Hutzel Construction for any remodeling projects. We told Jeff what we needed to accomplish for our remodeling needs (my Dad's wheelchair accessibility), and his experience and project vision enabled him to make suggestions that we never thought about. He worked with his team and us every step of the way to make sure that everything was perfect. He even met us at the store to help us pick out the bathroom tile, fixtures, and paint color! Jeff and the construction team were very professional and cleaned up every day before they left so there was never a mess when we got home from work. We are so pleased with the work that was done that we are talking with Jeff about refinishing our kitchen cabinets.

Description of Work
My father has moved in with my husband and me and is using a wheelchair and a walker for mobility. We needed to modify our home to meet his needs to live on the first floor and not worry about trying to go up and down stairs. We met with Jeff and decided on the following projects: 1. Expand the first floor guest bathroom from a half-bath to a full bath - This room was at the entryway of the house, and Jeff suggested that we extend the bathroom wall to the front porch and match the siding/brick so that the addition would look like the original part of the house - and it does! 2. Replaced the front entrance of our home (door, sidelights, frame) - The original front door was warped and the lock was ancient. We gave Jeff a drawing of what we wanted the new entryway to look like, and our entrance looks just like the drawing we gave him! 3. Replaced the downstairs carpet with hardwood flooring - Jeff's flooring team came in and replaced the carpet (one half of the first level) with hardwood floors in 2 days - including moving all of the furniture, and installing the baseboard trims. They matched the hardwood floors already in our home - you can't tell where the new floor ends and the old floor begins! 4. Installed a picture window in the living room wall - This room is on the north side of house and was always so dark before this window was installed. Now we have a view into the back yard with so much light and sunshine, and as before, this looks like it was part of the original house! Also, the brick from the outside of this wall was used at the front entryway for the bathroom addition, so it really does match the original brick of the house because it is the original brick! Our home went through a renovation and all of the work looks like it is part of the original design of the home!

Work Completed On 02/15/2013

01/01/2013

Robert L.

Would. Not have them do the second bathroom

Description of Work
Replace bath tile floor- great job. 3eRemoved mirrors and prepped/painted drywall- used cheap rollers and trash was in the paint. They had to redo Replaced counter top-supplier delivered below average product with scratches on the counter surface Replaced front door- they used. .99 brush to stain and varnish door which left dozens of paintbrush hairs on the doors. They splattered stain in entry over freshly painted wood trim

Category ceramic tile, home remodeling, doors

Work Completed On 04/01/2012

11/22/2012

Gordon P.

To avoid the disruption of trying to live with a kitchen while it was being redone, we wanted Hutzel to do the work while we were out of town. These guys accurately estimated the lead time required to get everything manufactured, carried out the removal of the old cabinets and doors, got everything prepped, installed and repainted exactly as they said they would. When we came back to see the finished work, everything had turned out great. On budget and on time. Professional job all the way.

Description of Work
We hired another contractor to update our kitchen. The project went pretty badly, including warped cabinet doors, misaligned cabinet doors and the contractor finally just walking away from the project. Jeff Hutzel followed these clowns and talked about what he could do, provided references and took us to show similar work he had done for other clients. He also included some nice design improvements during the process.

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 11/01/2012

11/10/2012

Jonathan B.

I called Jeff and he came shorty after to see what work we needed done. He explained his clients purchase their tile, vanity, fixtures, etc. and then he would quote the labor. This way we knew exactly what we'd be getting and the labor quote was reasonable. We waited a while for work to begin as there were other projects, but once work began, things went quickly. We have an older home ('54) and the wall to wall tile and plaster walls made demolition particularly horrifying. Jeff and his crew took great pains to make sure that both bathrooms were ventilated to make minimize the dust in the house. We have a small master bath, and wanted a walk-in shower instead of a large tub. Jeff listened to my ideas and came up with the best way to make it happen. He went above and beyond when we had issues with the tile store. He paid them several visits, talked with the manager, set up a meeting for us after work, and personally made sure we were able to pick out new tile at half price. We loved the result in the master bath, and love our new shower. The custom vanity turned out great as well. In the guest bath, we picked out some unique tile and Jeff helped plan everything out to make our vision a reality and make the aesthetics work. We ran into delays at the new tile store, though, and were having a party and were nervous the bathroom would not be ready in time. Jeff and the plumber both came on a Saturday morning before the party to make sure everything was finished and clean so our guests could use the new bathroom. The whole time we worked together to make sure things were done just the way we wanted. We are very happy with all of the work that was done and would definitely call Jeff for our next construction project!

Description of Work
In our master bathroom, we gutted the room, removing the vanity and bathtub, tile from all of the walls and floor, and tore down two fur downs and part of a wall. The water-damaged floor was reconstructed, walk-in shower was built, electrical and plumbing installed, the floor and shower tiled, and a custom vanity installed. In the guest bath, the floor and wall tile was removed, fur down removed, floor reconstructed, and drywall installed. Then the floor and one wall was tiled and a new vanity installed.

Work Completed On 10/27/2012

09/08/2012

anne H.

Jeff did an excellent job for us, Sometimes the work had to be fit into other jobs he was doing, but he always told us when they would return. His employees were topnotch.They did each job perfectly, and cleaned as they went. We were never inconvenienced Be advised, Jeff has a lot of work at any time, and uses a small skilled crew. Therefore it might take him some time to finish the work, but when he is done, it will be done right. He inspects all areas of the work performed, and, if there are any issues, he will make them right without complaint. We are going to use Hutzel Construction again this month to tear down an existing deck and build a new one. Also they will put ceramic tile around our fire place. We felt Jeff's prices are fair for the quality of work. He is definitely neither the cheapest contractor nor the most expensive. We have no hesitation about recommending him, and the interior designer we use says he will recommend to his other clients, who need this type of work.

Description of Work
We recently moved into an existing home, which needed some changes. These included larger things such as remodeling a porch into a sun room, and replacing large doors and windows that were damaged. Also, included were detail work such as changing switch plates, adding flooring to the attic, and building new dog doors.

Work Completed On 07/18/2012

08/16/2012

John C.

The guy came out to evaluate my project and said he would call that Thursday with an estimate.He called Friday and gave me some numbers. The price was fair for the work I was asking, so I called him back after making a decision and left a message on his answering machine/voicemail to find out when they could schedule me in.Four days later, I left another message. Two weeks after that, he finally calls back but I'd already hired someone who returned my call in a timely manner.

Description of Work
Estimate

Work Completed On 05/11/2012

08/10/2012

Robert C.

Jeff Hutzel arrived on time and made a fairly thorough walk through before giving an estimate. We talked about other possible work but he gave an honest appraisal of what needed to be done versus what could wait or not be worth the expense. Because I live out of town, he emailed his estimate for all of the work we discussed in a few weeks (I told him that there was no rush). We arranged to meet again at the house where I paid roughly 1/2 of the money as a deposit. A few weeks later (as agreed), the work was done. The quality of work was great, everything done as agreed and the entire area completely cleaned up. Because the house was vacant at the time, I can't really comment on any inconvenience during the process. It was basically problem free as far as I am concerned.

Description of Work
Replaced deteriorating wood siding, rebuilt rear entry steps, removed attic window unit A/C and installed vents instead. Also repaired broken windows and replaced entry door lockset.

Category remodeling, siding

Work Completed On 07/27/2012

05/24/2012

Paul H.

Review of Jeff Hutzel and Hutzel Construction The project my wife and I need to complete sometime in 2012 is gutting our 11 by 13 moderately sized Bartlett master bathroom built in the mid 1990’s with its wall to wall carpeting, oversize Jacuzzi bathtub and phone-booth sized shower and create an ADA compliant 21st century contemporary master bath that more closely matches our home’s appeal in the rest of the house and not outwardly appear handicap accessible. With both of us in our sixties and all the medical problems associated with aging our DIY skills were left in the dust years ago and we needed a contractor. Our prior DIY experiences with subcontractor assistance with two previous homes taught us to put this project up for bid with three or four contractors. With our ADA compliant needs in mind we spent much of 2011 researching fixtures and finishes needed for this transformation with a 2012 goal in mind. In April we decided to start looking for a contractor and joined Angie’s list asking friends and visiting kitchen & bathroom showrooms for recommendations. As modern contractors use Internet and e-mail I thought starting my search with an e-mail to potential contractors outlining my project and following up with a phone call would attract interested participants. So far we’ve had two contractors look over the project, one graciously declined as his company only works in a different suburb. One of these e-mail feelers went to Jeff Hutzel and Hutzel Construction in early May. After his response we talked on the phone and set a time for him to look at our project. As he never showed up for this appraisal I can only guess he’s busy on other projects? The good news is we’ve been recommended a forth contractor through a friend that’s used and recommends him to come in tomorrow.

Description of Work
None didn't show up to look at project!

Work Completed On 05/17/2012

05/03/2012

Gordon P.

These guys were high bid on the job (I had two other bids). But Jeff Hutzell seemed very knowledgeable, and their price was not much different from what I had been expecting. Plus they suggested painting the exposed foundation a contrasting color, which no one else had mentioned. And they were planning to use two coats of an ultra premium grade of paint. So we hired them. They showed up ahead of schedule due to a good weather forecast. Removed all the storm windows, power washed the house, prepped everything, made a few suggestions on repairs which we discussed. The main color we picked out didn't look so good once we got an 8x8 foot section painted, Jeff had purchased a quart of the next darker shade on the color strip, which he had thought would work and it turns out it did. So we painted the house with his color and are very pleased with it. His 2-4 workers were punctual, pleasant, seemed to be working steadily and professionally throughout the job. They all seemed to be experienced and skilled at what they were doing. Jeff offered helpful minor carpentry suggestions, most of which we implemented. His final idea was a dramatic color for our two outside doors, which we were skeptical about. But he suggested we paint one and then decide. It turned out that was a good idea, as well. So we are very pleased with everyone's ideas and workmanship and plan on using them in the future for other work around our home, based on this.

Description of Work
Repaint the exterior of our residence.

Category house painters