Chimney Cricket Inc

Pennsylvania: Home Improvement Contractors
09/17/2023

181 Fairview Rd

Woodlyn, PA 19094

We will sanitize the workspace and all areas touched
We accept remote payment

For over 30 years, Chimney Cricket has served the Philadelphia area with comprehensive chimney restoration, full service chimney repairs, quality chimney inspections, and reliable chimney sweeping. Why choose Chimney Cricket? Simple. We love chimneys! We are more than certified sweeps, inspectors, and masons. Each of our technicians share a passion for their work. We love the challenge of troubleshooting chimney problems and enjoy restoring masonry chimneys....

chimney sweep (118)chimney repair (59)chimney cap repair (32)fireplace services (20)masonry (13)dryer vent cleaning (8)home inspection (3)gas fireplace repair (2)stucco (1)

07/19/2021

Laura H.

100% recommend. Everything went smoothly. They were on time, repaired our chimney and masonry, explained everything they did along the way and were super professional. They also took care to cover the area they were walking through in the house, and cleaned up well after each visit. They were very friendly and courteous and sent us back photos of our before and after. Can't wait to be able to use our fireplace when it gets cooler out!

Description of Work
Chimney Restoration

Category chimney sweep,masonry,chimney caps,chimney repair,fireplaces

Work Completed On 07/19/2021

02/27/2021

Al M.

chimney Inspection and ceramic lining application

Description of Work
The Job - Lining my chimney with heat shield. Cons -Scare tactics and unorthodox inspection report process - Misrepresentation of labor needed for Ceramic relining system - Unfair labor pricing Pros -Crew was solid and professional. -Product is a good option instead of a total rebuild. I have been taken advantage of by Chimney Cricket on a cleaning/inspection that turned into job to reline my chimney flue with HeatShield, Ceramic relining system. I want to make sure homeowners understand this job/company’s ways of doing business. It started with a Chimney Cricket cleaning & inspection report that failed my chimney indicating that my flue was "a risk to life and property." The inspector actually got my wife to sign this report, which is very unusual. Another very reputable company inspected and passed the fireplace flue a few weeks later. The chimney was structurally fine, minimal shift between the terracotta segments, and only minor imperfections in the mortar between the segments. I wanted piece of mind so I went on with the liner repair anyway. They quoted $3,747.25 for the job and an additional $895 for a lift rental for his team. I questioned the $895, given 2 other quotes didn’t need a special lift. I provided pictures of my roof, he quickly dropped the $895 charge. They should have known this given they did the cleaning/inspection. The company didn’t do their homework to give me a quote that is aligned to what is needed for my job. Before signing, a manager explained that this job will take approximately 2 days to complete. I believed it and we moved forward. Contrary to his explanation, the 2 man crew spent approximately 3 hours total to complete this job, not 2 days. This included preparation with an acid etch and application of the product. I went on to understand the ceramic material costs being a few hundred dollars for the job (quoted directly from Heatshield). I felt that the entire job was grossly overestimated based on the time it took to complete. I asked them to reconsider his price. The manager said he has a standard number for the job and I should be happy that they were done faster than predicted. The crew and was fine and I’m happy with the Heatshield product, but 3 hrs to squeegee $200 of material on my flue isn’t worth $3747 bucks. Home owners, be aware !

Category home inspection,masonry,chimney repair

Work Completed On 01/07/1970

06/23/2020

Diana B.

We needed to repair broken tile between the top of the chimney and the metal cap. The team arrived on time, evaluated the damage, provided a written proposal, performed the work and provided before/after photos.

Description of Work
Correct cracked tile

Category chimney caps,chimney repair

Work Completed On 09/16/2020

02/27/2019

Stacy C.

We've used them twice, for chimney and dryer vent cleaning. Punctual and professional, they completed the work quickly and gave helpful advice. I plan to keep using them for regular cleanings.

Description of Work
dryer vent cleaning

Category chimney repair,dryer vent cleaning

Work Completed On 02/28/2019

02/05/2019

Carol L.

They were one of a very few companies who would do this type of work. They were very professional and kept us informed of changes in their schedule.

Description of Work
Replace damper

Category chimney caps,chimney repair,fireplaces

Work Completed On 01/23/2019

01/20/2019

Rose C.

All went well--the technician, Anthony, was on time, efficient and professional. He asked to check the vent for a second chimney, which vents out the furnace gases, he explained. He found, and showed me, that the horizontal vent pipe was filled with debris. Anthony explained that the chimney liner had deteriorated and collapsed, which causes the gases to not vent out. I appreciated his thoroughness. Otherwise, we may never have found out until carbon monoxide made us sick, or worse.

Description of Work
Chimney inspection and cleaning, special deal

Cost $95.32

Work Completed On 01/20/2019

01/20/2019

Rose C.

It went well. The technician inspected the chimney inside and out, and thoroughly cleaned inside, and cleaned up after himself.

Description of Work
Chimney inspection and cleaning[

Work Completed On 09/16/2019

11/16/2018

Ahren L.

I had contacted Chimney Cricket and passed them on to my Parents to have work done on their house in Oct. 2016. I am writing as I have just purchased the neighboring property and have had an opportunity to review the documents my father has and to inspect the "work" that was done. Initially Chimney Cricket was very responsive and prompt. A proposal for the stabilization and repair of the shared chimney, stucco restoration and the installation of a chase cover was signed nov. 2016 and a deposit made. As the work was being completed the technician collapsed a section of the Chimney into the flue. rather than remove the debris and remaining section of the chimney, the technician pushed the rest of the debris into the flue and continued the stucco flex application and chase cap. My father was not pleased with this development and expressed that at the time. in January 2017, my father was able to go up to the roof and inspect the stucco flex application and "repairs" to stabilize the chimney. at that time the stucco flex was observed to be inconsistently applied, inconsistent application, use of stucco flex to "repair" gaps that were part of the contract for repair. Cracks in the stucco flex were observed throughout and the chase cap was only partially secured. Chimney Cricket was contacted and they replied that it would be repaired in the spring of 2017. in June 2017 my father was called by a technician stating that they would be at the house in 10-15 min. the visit was declined as my father was at work. It was requested that 24-36 hour notice of visit be provided so that he could be on premises to observe the work being done. the technician hung up on him. Chimney Cricket was again contacted via email in Aug 2018. there was no reply. They were contacted in sept 2018 and again there has been no reply. I have since taking ownership of the neighboring property at my own expense, removed the debris that was thrown into both my parents inactive flue and the neighboring flue. It was also necessary to cut a whole in the chase cover in order to vent the ACTIVE FLUE from neighboring property. The previous owner had certified that it was not an active flue, I am VERY surprised that the technician did not visually verify that claim seeing as he could have KILLED THEM AND THEIR NEIGHBORS, my parents.

Description of Work
repair and stabilization of shared chimney, stucco restoration and chase cover

Category masonry,chimney repair,stucco

Work Completed On 09/04/2018

Review for Chimney Cricket Inc - 181 Fairview Rd, Woodlyn, PA - 37602064

10/11/2018

Ron B.

The technician arrived late and I needed to follow up with office to make sure I had the right expectation, which I did, and then shortly after he called me to let me know he was on the way. Not really too big a deal since he was about 45 minutes later than his window. My gas fireplace was not lighting properly and the pilot light would go out periodically. At the end of last winter I shut off the gas for safety reasons. I called Chimney Cricket because of the recommendations of Angies list, they have all A's. The technician was professional and did an inspection of the situation and components, he checked the remote starter and ended up changing all batteries. The remote was not "connecting" and the fire would not start. Shortly after the fire seemed to start on its own. The technician continued to assess the situation but eventually made the assessment, because he could not determine definitively the manufacturer of the log set and the apparent randomness of the fire starting, that I should completely replace all components of the fireplace. In follow up emails he was going to check into the situation further and get back to me on some recommendations, I did not hear back after more than a week so I went to the local fireplace shop (Chadds Ford Fireside Shop) to buy a whole new set. The shop salesman really questioned me and doubted that I would need to spend 2,000+ on a complete new set up including the chimney inspections and installation. He recommended that I spend another fee for "their" guy to come and have a look. I was not at all interested in paying another inspection fee, I argued with the salesman about how a professional had already assessed everything and that his guy was going to find the same, but I relented after the owner of the shop realized through our conversation that his shop had installed this fireplace and all components just 6 years prior. So the new chimney Technician came out today and after checking everything essentially pushed a reset button on the remote receiver to re-sync the remote transmitter and receiver. Now the fireplace is working fine again, he also cleaned the components and pilot light. I'm writing this review because 1) the price was very high for the service received (The other technician who fixed my remote today was MUCH more reasonable). 2) Chimney Cricket didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. 3) For a technician who has been in the gas log fireplace business for 30+ years I don't understand why he didn't know to try pushing the reset button. 4) He ended up fixing nothing, he did not fully follow up to give me recommendations and aside from an honest Fireplace shop owner who was more interested in getting my fireplace working vs making a new sale I would have spent 2,000+ for a new set up.

Description of Work
Repair gas fireplace that was not working properly

Category fireplaces,gas logs

Work Completed On 09/21/2018

10/09/2018

SUSAN C.

Very well. Team from Chimney Cricket arrived right on time. Without being asked they used covers for their shoes and put down pads to protect the floor around our fireplace. Since we were interested, they explained what was happening before they did it and kept us informed on their results. Pricing was very fari We will definitely hire Chimney Cricket again.

Description of Work
Chimney cleaning

Work Completed On 08/02/2018

08/30/2018

Jean C.

Everything went smoothly. They were on time, cleaned the dryer vent, fixed the vent-to-dryer attachment, and cleaned up. Then, they showed me what they did. The dryer functions more efficiently now.

Description of Work
Dryer vent cleaning

Category dryer vent cleaning

Work Completed On 08/17/2018

08/27/2018

Bob M.

Very well. John did a good job of cleaning and made me aware of a bad creosote condition and sent me some information on ways to resolve the issues.

Description of Work
Chimney cleaning and basic evaluation.

Work Completed On 08/13/2018

05/21/2018

T M.

They were #1 on my list, but 1st impression failed. If a company doesn't believe in their work to give a free estimate, red flag.

Description of Work
An estimate on fixing chimney..did not offer "free estimate" as stated om Angie's list.

Category chimney repair

Work Completed On 05/21/2018

Thank you for contacting us to inquire about our services. We were more than happy to provide you with up front pricing for our inspection services. All of our inspectors are F.I.R.E. Certified Chimney Inspectors and CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps. Chimney Cricket has been in business for over 30 years providing the Philadelphia area with professional inspection services and comprehensive chimney repair & restoration. Chimney Cricket is licensed and insured and we stand by our pricing and services.

03/30/2018

Sarah S.

While they were not able to access the vent (because of the way the dryer was built in), they were very nice about it, very professional and didn't charge me a service charge. I will absolutely call them again once I get a carpenter to create proper access to the vent.

Description of Work
3rd floor built in dryer vent cleaning

Category dryer vent cleaning

Work Completed On 03/30/2018

11/10/2017

Chuck H.

I would HIGHLY recommend Chimney Cricket. I thought the price quote was a bit high on the front end but when I actually saw how extensive the work was it was money well spent. Phil and Brooklyn showed up right on time, were very professional, worked for 8 hours straight with normal breaks and kept the area as clean as possible as they went. Phil told me he has been in this line of work since 1990 and it was obvious he knew his stuff. On the front end Peter and Ginger did a great job with the appointment setting and flexibility that was needed negotiating the contract. I had been using another fireplace company for 10 years who stopped returning calls. Glad I stumbled upon Chimney Cricket on Angie's List. All in all this company has my full endorsement.

Description of Work
Fireplace smoke chamber needed to be repaired, masonry restoration and top locking chimney damper installed.

Category chimney sweep,masonry,chimney caps,chimney repair,fireplaces

Work Completed On 11/09/2017

10/11/2017

Susan N.

When cleaning my stovepipe and chimney they discovered that I had had a fire in the chimney. They told me that before I used my woodstove, I had to have a liner put in so it would be safe. Also I needed a cap on the outside of the chimney to keep out rain and critters. They were courteous and professional and answered all my questions.

Description of Work
I needed my chimney to my woodstove cleaned. They cleaned it thoroughly.

Category chimney sweep,home inspection,chimney caps

Work Completed On 10/11/2017

10/10/2017

Allison K.

They were professional and helpful in explaining the issues that were found.

Description of Work
Cleaning and inspection

Work Completed On 10/10/2017

10/05/2017

NASIR S.

Very good communication. Punctual. Professional. Fair price. Very clean; didn't dirty anything up in the house. No hard sell on any of their other products.

Description of Work
Clean chimney liner

Work Completed On 10/13/2017

09/29/2017

Emerson E.

Work was timely, well carried out, and property left clean.

Description of Work
chimney relining, connections for water heater and boiler, chimney repointing, and roof flashing at the chimney.

Category chimney sweep,masonry,chimney repair

Work Completed On 09/29/2017

09/26/2017

Kimberly B.

Chimney Cricket is awesome and the only team you should use for your chimney and dryer vent issues/repairs. Bob is fabulous and explains in detail the process and repairs. The team who did the work (June 1st) was great too. The office staff (ginger) is great at scheduling and keeping you posted in the event rain delays the outside work. I can't be more happier to have found them to fix my chimney and replace the dryer vent.

Description of Work
Chimney Sweep and Dryer Vent Cleaning

Category chimney sweep,chimney caps,chimney repair,fireplaces,dryer vent cleaning

Work Completed On 05/16/2017

09/25/2017

Joel R.

Chimney Cricket has been servicing our home for 20 years. They are responsive to our needs and keep us informed of what we need to do to keep our systems in good working order, without overselling or scare tactics. Their technicians are meticulous.

Description of Work
We needed our Fireplace, Heater, and Dryer Vents cleaned.

Category chimney sweep,masonry,chimney caps,chimney repair,fireplaces,dryer vent cleaning

Work Completed On 06/05/2017

09/13/2017

Kevin B.

Smoothly. Very prompt, courteous, & professional.

Description of Work
Chimney Swept & inspected

Category chimney sweep,chimney caps,chimney repair

Work Completed On 09/13/2017