Harth Builders

Founded 1996 • With Angi since February 2006

1 Mill Race

Spring House, PA 19477

Awarded Best of Houzz for 2015, 2014 & 2013, given to only 4% of Houzz professionals! Harth Builders is a nationally recognized, award winning, residential design-build remodeling firm serving Eastern Montgomery and Central Bucks counties in the Philadelphia suburbs. With a creative design team that includes architects, engineers, interior designers and contractors, we help our clients bring concept to reality while being mindful of their construction budget. Over 45 years ago, after serving his country as a Marine and veteran of the Korean War, Allyn Harth chose to make homebuilding his life's work. So when he founded Harth Builders in 1996, he began with a long-held belief taught to him by his years of experience – that it takes not only the highest levels of experience, quality, workmanship, service and design to make a home special, but also a personal touch. That is why every project we design and build incorporates each client's own ideas, personalities and dreams. It is the crucial difference between creating a house and "a home with heart." And it is the foundation on which our company continues to build its reputation. Today, Harth Builders is managed by Allyn and his son, Greg. Together, they represent more than 53 years of experience in remodeling and residential, light commercial, and heavy civil construction. Both father and son hold BS degrees in engineering (industrial and civil.) We employ a staff of loyal employees and have nurtured strong professional relationships with a core group of subcontractors over the years. From design and remodeling to additions and custom finishing work, we've got the reputation and the expertise to get the job done beautifully....

01/23/2015

Kaia C.

They have a very highly developed process in terms of design, scheduling, etc. They stick to their timeline and have a great design team. They make several site visits and meet with the client several times before they start. They're very punctual, considerate, and communicative. They do wonderful, creative work!

Description of Work
They've done a lot of remodeling work for us. Most recently, we had them do a new closet and install new kitchen cabinets. They put in a pocket door with a wall and a wall in the basement too.

Category contractors,closet systems,remodeling,home remodeling

01/02/2015

Randall B.

Dealt with them several times on smaller projects. Very professional and good work. However, each time I got competitive quotes for medium or larger projects they came in much higher. I have no doubt that they do good work but they are 25%+ higher than other quotes. I had them come out to give me ideas and ball park estimate on doing a major remodel of our bathroom...they came out and took measurements then never heard from them...I finally contacted them and they said it would be $500 to sit down and review the concepts. I told them I just wanted a general view of what could be done and approximate costs (i.e. no drawings) but they would not do anything without the $500.

Description of Work
Took measurements for a bathroom remodel.

Category home remodeling

Thank you for your perspective and feedback. While we were disappointed when we did not perform work for you on your kitchen or master bathroom, we heard you inform us we were within 5% of the original larger design-build firm you ultimately chose. We also heard your express your disappointment that the firm chosen took twice as long as promised to complete the kitchen addition project. We also heard that they did not have any employees onsite daily (other than management) so it was difficult to get them to complete some of the work. We are not the least expensive on the front end, but will always be the least expensive when you consider the cost of rework that wasn't done properly the first time or considering changes after the fact that clients wished they knew about at the beginning. We have 21 employees that ensure we can address personnel changes, resource allocation as project schedules require and timely completion of projects. It is one of the reasons we are on our 5th, 6th and 7th projects for a lot of our clients. We find repeat business the ultimate compliment and 75% of our business is repeat or referral from past clients. In regards to the master bathroom, we never quoted the bathroom, only provided an Opinion of Probable Cost (+/- 20% range) that is based on other projects of similar size and scope. We have no idea what the exact bathroom costs might be until we explore what is possible and educate our clients through a consultative based Design Process. This normally takes 6 to 12 weeks for a typical Master Bathroom/Suite and helps show spatial plans, tile and cabinetry elevations, and 3d perspectives of what it will look like BEFORE we have constructed it. We find the Design-Build process the BEST WAY to ensure we are meeting or exceeding our clients expectations and helping them determine what the right answer to their remodeling project might be. Ultimately, we want to make our clients homes their favorite place to be. Our website (www.harthbuilders.com) explains our process and how to start a conversation.

01/29/2014

Roger H.

I spoke to Allyn Harth over the phone and met with his son Greg at my house concerning renovation work over a year ago. Greg was on time and had a nice presentation and both he and his father are quite professional. Greg followed up with me over a period of several months and even was willing to make suggestions and answer some questions about building products without Harth Builders even being under contract with me. This was extremely impressive to me seeing that due to their reputation Harth Builders is probably never slow with their workload and that many other contractors do not even return phone calls much less keep in touch with prospective clients. Harth has an interior design and architectural design team on staff that can provide full finish selection, construction documentation, and 3D CAD renderings and they even publish a periodic newsletter with articles on their latest projects and house renovation issues. Unfortunately, the scope of my project was reduced due to my budget to the point that I did not feel I needed to engage a design build company such as Harth Builders. However, based on my experience I would not hesitate to recommend Harth Builders to anyone in need of the services of a residential design build company.

Description of Work
Consultation on home renovation work.

07/18/2013

Lisa C.

Our kitchen could not have turned out better. Harth Builders was involved in every aspect of the kitchen remodel. They are a design/build contractor. We met with Greg Harth, his designer and architect to come up with a plan for our kitchen. They have a very thorough design process which allowed us to express what we wanted and needed in our kitchen and then Harth Builders came up with creative solutions and a plan that exceeded our expectations. Throughout the project, Greg and his entire staff were courteous and professional. We had a project manager that met with us weekly to update us on our project to make sure the project was on track. Harth Builders did an excellent job scheduling every aspect of our kitchen remodel and our project was completed in a timely manner. From start to finish, we had great communication with everyone we came into contact with and felt Harth provided a level of customer service that is hard to find. They even put a copy of their mission statement up in our kitchen during our project which I thought was great. The lead carpenter on our project did a fantastic job and kept us informed on every aspect of the project as it was happening. In addition, the people who were at our house on a day to day basis could not have been more organized or neat. Each day, they left our kitchen as clean and tidy as possible during the entire project. They made a concerted effort to minimize the dust in our house. We have always been impressed with how clean and organized the remodeling process is when Harth is on the job In addition, Harth provides a two year warranty period in which Greg Harth personally calls every six months to check up on the project. We have had a couple of small items that needed to be fixed and they were completed without any problems at all.. We are very pleased with how our kitchen turned out and I am sure we will use Harth Builders in the future.

Description of Work
Harth Builders has done many projects for us but the last one they did was our kitchen. They completely remodeled the kitchen improving the layout, function and quality of our kitchen.

Category remodeling,home remodeling

07/11/2013

Barbara C.

Other than problems with the manufacturer of the cabinets and the counter top, everything went as smoothly as possible. We were impressed with the professionalism and concern for our inconvenience by the entire crew. They all worked as a team to provide the best job in a most timely manner. They helped to make this project as painless as a total kitchen renovation can be starting with our first conversations with Greg and Allyn Harth. They were very conscientious about keeping this project within our budget. All extra items were detailed on Work Orders even if they were not charging us. We feel they were very fair with their pricing and provided detailed statements on a regular basis--there were no surprises. We highly recommend them and will hire again them for any future projects.

Description of Work
Totally gut and renovate kitchen including removing a wall

05/15/2013

Laurent or Tina C.

They will take time with you right down to the secretary emailing you to ask you to confirm your appointment on a special software that they use.

Description of Work
My friend highly recommended them for their extensive remodeling on her 200 year old house. They are a class act but way out of price for me. I didn't need all that hand holding and I don't think what they offer is geared to the average homes. It's very very high end.

Category remodeling,house painters

04/25/2013

patrick K.

Unfortuantely having the house built wasn't in the budget. However, they were very good and helped us come to that conclusion. They definitely tried to make it happen -they really enlightened us with the whole house-building process. They were very personable and I'd definitely recommend them!

Description of Work
We talked to them about having a house built.

Category remodeling,home builders,home remodeling

03/23/2013

Susi G.

Very professional; extremely tidy; we are very happy with the results

Description of Work
Main bathroom remodeled

09/18/2012

Wendy A.

Luckily, the Harth Buiders team came to my rescue. With their expertise and craftsmanship they beautifully remodeled my master bathroom, and expertly repaired water damage to my front hall closet caused by the water leaking from the upstairs bath. They greatly improved my house and life in just three incredible weeks!! Thankfully, I chose Harth Builders to take on my bathroom remodeling project that I had been putting off for years. My colonial house was built in 1940, with only one full bath. Last April, when the original shower tile began to detriorate and water leaked into my downstairs hall closet, I was faced with quickly finding a reliable plumber/contractor to take care of the bath and hallway. I got estimates from other reputable plumbers and contractors, but no one compared to Harth Builders in design, affordability and communication. From his initial consultation, Greg Harth listened to my ideas and concerns about the bathroom project, including cost and time factors (I wanted completion as quickly as possible). Greg clearly explained about the various stages of Harth project evolution -communication being the key in developing the job concept, design and the all-important budget. Greg said he and the Harth team would work with me throughout the project to make sure it would be the best experience I could possible have with a home improvement project. He was absolutely right--Harth Builders met or exceeded my expectations every step of the way. In the next few weeks I met the entire Harth team, who would be working on the project either in the house or behind the scenes. I had a wonderful comfort level and confidence in Harth, not only because of their great reputation, but the courtesy and professional manner in which they addressed my ideas and concerns. After two consultations, I committed to Harth to do the job. The schedule for the project was literally charted by Harth's project manager, Jeremy, including his weekly meetings to cover any questions or problems that may arise and payment schedules. With the creative guidance of Cindy, one of Harth's talented interior decorators, we started the design and selection of bathroom fixtures process. Cindy was amazing--I felt like I was shopping with my best friend. Not only was she was intuitive about my design tastes, but she was creative and professional. She really took a personal interest in my project expectations and budget. Once the selections were made, we had more meetings to discuss details with other team members and final conceptual plans created. As with all of Harth's clients, I even got my own personal Harth Project notebook with before photos and products used, skematics and project schedule. On July 23, the Harth team promptly arrived to start the job; preparations for demolition were set up and my new bathroom was underway. Throughout the project the Harth on-site manager and master carpenter, Steve, worked expertly and diligently with the other Harth team members, including the various subcontractors. Steve also communicated with me every day about project status, any pending glitches, and my expectations. I was continually impressed by the workmanship, courtesy, cleanliness, positive attitude and problem solving abilities on a consistant daily basis of the entire Harth team, and how they expertly completed the remodeling process in three weeks as planned. Nothing was ever too much trouble for Harth Builders. I am very glad that I chose Harth Builders. They gave my tired, old, leaky bathroom a beautiful new up-to-date appearance wtth a spa-like atmosphere! And, in doing so they have made my life better. I am so happy with the results that I would do it all again!! Through Harth's excellence in communication, trustworthiness and craftsmanship, Harth Builders also built a relationship with me. I would use them again in a heartbeat and recommend them very highly.

Description of Work
Remodeled master bathroom and repaired water leak damage to 1st floor hall closet.

05/30/2012

margaret C.

excellent communication start to finish- job completed within time parameters to coincide with client needs.all work appears to be excellently done. all employees werecourteous,friendly,professional.

Description of Work
carpentry,plumbing,electrical,floor installation, painting,etc

Category electrician,flooring contractor,plumbing,remodeling