THOMSONS AUTO REPAIR

Founded 2004 • With Angi since April 2007

Mechanical auto repair. A-Z All Makes And Models....

A Service Provider's profile image

12/12/2017

Bill P.

After checking the OBD2 and getting the same results then started checking each cylinder. A mechanic found that the spark plugs I installed, even though the manual calls for the particular Bosch spark plugs that I bought at AutoZone for the Liberty, actually threaded too far into the cylinders and that some of the pistons struck the spark plugs closing the gap. The mechanic installed new, correct length spark plugs and the Jeep ran perfectly since.

Description of Work
I preformed a tune up on my girl friend's Jeep Liberty (new air cleaner, new spark plugs, etc) and she started getting an error code for multiple cylinder misfires. I took the Jeep to Thompson's Auto Repair to find out what was wrong with the Jeep.

Work Completed On 10/10/2017

Thank you [Member Name Removed]! Your positive review means the world to us as it helps others find us and give us a try. Thanks again Tom Thomson

05/09/2017

Mike E.

Work Completed On 05/09/2013

08/13/2016

Linda P.

As usual all went well. I had moved to the area a year ago and have been using Thomson's since then. It was nice to find a repair shop that I felt I could trust. Very friendly. Being a woman, you are not always listened to or treated with respect. They even take the time to explain what you do not understand. I got a different used car in January. Since then they have been working on all the issues that I have found. My car is running in tip top shape now. One thing that I really like is their throughness to get to the real issue. They fix only what is needed. They do not "fix" what is not necessary. This saves you money as well as the coupons they offer. Your vehicle is ready on time with the exception of a part delay. And then they keep you informed. I would recommend Thomson's to everyone.

Description of Work
Checked air conditioning, compresser, etc.

Work Completed On 06/23/2016

06/22/2016

Wendy L.

Description of Work
Thomson gave us a competitive estimate and performed the work promptly

02/10/2016

Jerome J.

Description of Work
All-Wheel Alignment

Category auto repair, car tires

Work Completed On 02/08/2016

Thank you for taking the time to review our service! Our alignment cost is at the normal end of the spectrum. Sometimes we discount the alignments to Bring in customers. We have the best style and accuracy of equipment available plus the certified Technician looking at the car/truck. Thank you Tom Thomson

01/29/2016

Janet D.

Description of Work
Replaced left rear wheel bearing and vehicle inspection. They seem to have done a good job.

Category auto repair, car inspections

Work Completed On 12/27/2015

Hello {Member's name removed}! Thank you for taking the time to review us. Tom Thomson

10/20/2015

Alex B.

Work Completed On 10/16/2015

10/02/2015

Michael F.

First, this service was done at the location on 28th Street because that is where they have their alignment rack. I set an appointment the day before and they got me in on time. The communication was great with an explanation of what they found as they were doing the work. I was hoping to get away with the lower price front alignment only but ended up having all four done - well worth it considering I took it in due to uneven tire wear. The $80 alignment is way less expensive than a new set of tires. Everything was done at the price quoted and in the time they said. I'm very happy with them and will be back again.

Description of Work
Four Wheel Alignment

Category auto repair, car tires

Work Completed On 09/30/2015

Hello [Member Name Removed]! Thank you for the positive review, It means a great deal to us. Thanks again Tom Thomson

09/04/2015

Sandra T.

Description of Work
This is a wonderful company. What I liked most is I was given 2 options for repair on my automobile. Most service stations tell you what it will cost and that's it. I got to choose how much I wanted to spend. Very friendly and wonderful customer service. I am using them again for my other car. Well done Thomson.

Work Completed On 08/22/2015

08/03/2015

Jean M.

Description of Work
Thompsons Auto Repair has two locations and I used the one at 1850 28th ST SE. They removed and replaced two front lower ball joints and replaced the brake and fuel lines going to the rear of the vehicle. I have a 2000 Honda Accord.

Cost $1,018.08

Work Completed On 07/29/2015

Thank you for the positive review! It is always our goal to perform to this level and beyond. If anyone should ever experience anything different please bring it to my attention. Thank you Tom Thomson

06/29/2015

Michael B.

They are fantastic! I trust them and they always do a great job. I have 5 company vehicles and I have them service all of them plus my personal vehicles. I would highly recommend them!

Description of Work
Did repair work on a couple of vehicles of mine

Work Completed On 05/04/2015

Thank you for the outstanding review it means the world to us. Tom Thomson

01/28/2015

Michael B.

Description of Work
Front & rear brakes. Done on schedule and for price quoted. No issues with the work.

Work Completed On 01/27/2015

12/13/2014

BRYCE L.

I called around to 4 different dealerships and Auto repair shops before I got smart and jumped onto Angieslist. Each of the 4 places I called gave me a quote of not less then $400.00. I then did a search for auto repair near my home. Thomsons auto repiar showed up on the list. They had alot of reviews already, and they were offering a coupon for Angieslist members for 10% off labor up to $150.00. So I figured why not, lets call them. When I called them, they were very friendly on the phone. I explained to them what the problem was, they looked everything up, and gave me 2 quotes, one, was just for placing the window back in the track, and calling it good if at all possible, IE the window mech was not damaged, that was a $110.00 fix. The 2nd quote, was if they had to replace the mechanism, that quote was for $240.00. Skeptical, I made the appointment, and took my truck in. I got there when they opened at 8:00 AM, they took my truck in right away, and within 20 minutes came out to let me know what the problem was. The mechanism was damaged and had to be replaced. They ordered the part, which took more time to be delivered than the repair itself took, (not there fault, just saying) but I was done and gone by 10:30. My first thought was wow, 2.5 hours of waiting, but the time passed quickly, First, they have a popcorn machine in the lobby, a coffee machine in the lobby, TV, and the employees were all very sociable, in other words can talk and chew gum at the same time. Over all, I was VERY impressed and will return there again in the event I need more repairs to my truck. Thanx guys, Great Job.

Description of Work
Replaced the driver side electric window mechanism. Sorry cant remember the actual name of it.

Work Completed On 12/04/2014

03/11/2014

Bryan W.

First, they were willing to come to my house and look at it for a reasonable hourly rate. After I had it towed to the shop, they examined it and (as always before) it started right up. They detached the remote start and will waive diagnostic costs if it happens again! Throughout the process they were very available and didn't hesitate to make clear any questions I had.

Description of Work
Analyze a failure to start my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero that only occasionally reoccurs, a difficult task.

Work Completed On 03/11/2014

02/11/2014

Angela L.

Went well but I think it ridiculous that they charged .60 hour of labor to change the fuel filter which only takes 15 mins tops. I've watched it be done before.

Description of Work
Recharged battery, replaced alternator, and replace fuel filter. I purchased my own parts so only cost was labor at $69 an hour.

Work Completed On 12/10/2013

Thank you for your review! A couple things to remember is not just the time it takes to take off the old filter and replace it but the time it takes to set the car up on the hoist and the time it takes to take the car down, start it, put it back up and check for leaks. Thank you again! Thomas C. Thomson

01/07/2014

Andrea G.

It went quicker than expected, and I haven't had any problems since.

Description of Work
Replaced a rear window windshield wiper motor and wiper.

Work Completed On 12/12/2013

Thank you so much for the review. The parts we put on were used parts and we only use the recycle yards that we can count on, and in doing so sometimes the price can be just a bit higher. new parts for this vehical are obsolete. Thank You again. Thomas C. Thomson

01/05/2014

Hilary C.

Work Completed On 10/31/2013

Thank you for your positive review, it means the world to us. please remember at any time if you have questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask. Our goal is to provide the best quality of repairs at a fare price. Thank you Thomas C. Thomson

11/29/2013

Greg G.

Description of Work
Alignment.

Work Completed On 11/25/2013

Thank you very much for your review of our service. The Thomsons Auto Family strives to provide a positive experiance. Thank you Thomas C. Thomson

08/01/2013

Gina B.

The guys were very helpful, they got me up and running right away.

Description of Work
air flow module needed to be replaced.

Work Completed On 06/03/1994

Thank You so much for the great review ! customer satisfaction is our goal. We Know that auto repair is expensive and inconvenient. Thank You Thomas C. Thomson

02/25/2013

Brian H.

We were happy with them. They are good communicators and they were happy we brought the car to and get it work done, they did some more and then, I don’t know, we had another problem and they just sort of drive up and talked to them about it and I just thought they’re very helpful and they were thorough. We thought that they were fair and knew what they were doing. Price was probably we chose them. I think my husband did a lot of research and he chose them based on their estimate.

Description of Work
We brought our daughter’s car to Thomsons Auto Repair for auto services.

Work Completed On 11/28/2012

GREAT REVIEW !!!! thank you so much ! Thomas C. Thomson / President

02/05/2013

Michael M.

The problem occurred over the weekend, in which we were unable to drive the car because the window was stuck in the down position. It is winter, so it was very cold with freezing rain and rain. I spoke to someone when they opened, who encouraged me to bring it in right away. I took it in immediately. My wife was home from work fighting a virus of some type and was going to come to pick me up after I had delivered the vehicle and everything was set. Fortunately, they offered me a ride home so she didn't have to leave her sick bed after all. The vehicle was completed by mid afternoon. I paid for it on my way home form work and my wife and I picked it up the next morning.

Description of Work
We experienced a problem with broken wires going into the driver's side door, which meant window, power lock and door sensor wasn't working. The wires were repaired, rather than replacing the entire wire harness, waving us about $200.

Work Completed On 01/28/2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. Thank you Thomas C. Thomson 616-281-5150 ****.com

04/30/2007

JEFF Y.

These guys are really great. I have taken my vehicle there at least four times. They are always professional and give me an estimate before they do the work. It took them a little longer to fix than I would have liked as it took them one day to complete the work.

Description of Work
I had a problem with the brakes on my Dodge Caravan. Thomson's repaired the brakes by putting on new rotors and pads.