NIERMAN LANDSCAPE & DESIGN

Founded 1991 • With Angi since March 2009

PO BOX 765

Woodstock, IL 60098

Since 1991 Nierman Landscape and Design, Inc., a family owned business, has been creating quality landscape designs, installations and maintenance. NLD prides itself on being a 'one stop company' for all you landscape needs in both residential and commercial settings. We believe that well planned and thoughtful landscaping is an investment in your home or business that should be considered from an aesthetic and functional viewpoint. Nierman Landscape and Design, Inc. has the experience, knowledge, and skills to help create a beautiful landscape that will meet and exceed these needs....

11/27/2018

Margaret D.

Tom, Jill, and everyone at Nierman's have been a pleasure to work with. They are extremely reliable and did a beautiful job helping the neglected lawn and hedges at our lake house look great! They also installed a French drain system. It has made such a difference keeping the water out of our newly finished basement. The decorative stonework for the drains really looks amazing! We will be hiring them again next season for a retaining wall and some hard scaping. I would highly recommend them! A+++

Description of Work
Lawn Care and General Maintenance

Category landscaping,lawn service,lawn treatment,lakefront landscaping

Thanks [Member Name Removed]! We love to work with you as well!!!

12/12/2017

Del V.

Things went very well and we are extremely pleased with the asthetics of all their work. We haven’t had any heavy rains since the project was completed so we will have to see how everything flows in the spring when we traditionally get the heavy rains. All in all we have been very pleased with NLD.

Description of Work
We had some extensive drainage work done to a small creek that feeds our pond. NLD removed the smaller culvert pipe installed by the previous homeowner which unfortunately was inadequate for the flow during heavy rains. NLD also created a small decorative rock/stone retention area one side of the driveway and created a decorative feature on the other side where the new larger culvert pipe sits above the pond.

Category landscaping,lakefront landscaping

Thanks for the great review. anything else we can do, just let us know

08/07/2016

Carolyn G.

Since Nierman Landscaping designed my beds, removed old plants & placed mulch last year & did a good job (aside from laying a very thin layer of mulch which allowed weeds to take over my beds.) I contacted them this year to perform maintenance. The quote I received (this year) for redefining the beds, applying more mulch and pulling weeds was "around $1000." The work was completed (when I wasn't present) & when I returned home the yard looked great. On closer inspection I noted that there were the heads of 6 plants cut down slightly under the mulch. I called to ask why these plants were under the mulch & get a general report on the work performed. A few days later I received this e-mail from the Maintenance Supervisor stating, "A couple were dead, the crew pulled them out." There was no greeting or further comments just this one line message. I responded asking if the plants would be replaced but again received no response. I waited a few days before contacting the owner's wife again & explained that I received a mere one line response from the maintenance supervisor & was told the plants were removed but insured her that the plants were still in the ground. I further stated that I would have expected more than a one line response to my inquiry & also a correction plan. The owners wife stated she would have the supervisor contact me. I waited almost a week and received no response so I contacted Nierman's again. Once connected with the supervisor I had to reiterate all the information I had asked 2-3 x's before. I informed him that I would have appreciated more communication on how the job went as well as an update on any issues He again stated the plants were dead and were removed. I then told him that the plants were NOT removed and that I was never informed about that fact or what would be done about it. End result was that the plants were replaced but again no update on the work performed or a sorry for the lack of communication or obvious poor supervision of men performing installation. Unfortunately I had also paid them $1775.00 in full prior to noting the dead plants. This amount was above the quote of $1000. This company seems to have a huge problem with communication. Supervision also seems to be lacking hence the supervisor thinking the plants were removed when they weren't & the thin layer of mulch applied the first time. I also found an additional dead plant that was not removed after their second trip back to remove the first dead plants. Was anyone supervising this crew? Variance in quote and real charge. Again communicating with the customer and updating them on the need to charge more would have been good business practice. Lastly to the owner. If a customer calls you with an issue regarding your company don't re-route me to a supervisor. Bad practice affects your business & If you would have taken charge of my concerns there would have been a better outcome. My complaint should have told you there was a problem with the supervisor so why refer me back to him?

Description of Work
Redefinition of beds mulch weed removal

Category landscaping,lawn service

At Nierman Landscape we work very hard to make sure we have the highest customer satisfaction, which is why we have been in business for over 25 years. We don't take reviews like this lightly. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to find out where this communication breakdown occurred. In the management structure of our company, the supervisor is our first line of communication, in most cases. The supervisor is the one that knows the job and the client the best. We did come out and install the replacement plants, that were in question, free of charge. I apologize for any confusion. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to schedule a walk through of the property, or to address any billing or job related questions. Again, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Tom Nierman

03/08/2016

Matthew S.

Great. On-time. Professional.

Description of Work
Lawn Fertilizer

Category landscaping,lawn treatment

Thanks for the great review!! Please keep us in mind for all your landscape needs. Think Spring!!!

03/06/2016

Carolyn G.

It went great!!!! They were professional, punctual and stayed within my budget by coming up with cost savings ideas to give me the results I wanted. Couldn't be happier!!

Description of Work
Landscaped home.

Category landscaping

Yay, thanks for the great review!! We enjoyed working with you as well. Please keep us in mind in the future. also Think Spring!! it is almost here :)

02/08/2016

David J.

Maybe I was too far away, but not to even return a call. Very unprofessional in my book.

Description of Work
Well, This is one of five companies I called for a good size back yard job. I left them three messages over a period of two weeks and never heard back from them. I joined Angie's list for preferred service. In the end, Only one company called back, came out and walked through the project with me. That company never delivered an estimate or returned a call. I ended up spending my entire summer doing the job myself with a neighbor.

Category landscaping

HI [Member Name Removed], We looked through all our phone logs, and did not find your name. We log every incoming call and our office manager will follow up with the sale person the next day to make sure that every potential lead has been followed up on. We have a company rule requiring every call must be followed up within 24 hours, Saturday and Sundays call will be returned the next business day before noon. During the in season work week, we usually have someone in the office that answers the phone. You stated you call 3 times and not one reply, with our set of procedures that is not possible. There are several other landscape companies with similar numbers, since our last four digits 8873 spells turf. My guess is that you might have us mixed up with another company. To be honest, you stated you called 5 companies and only one responded, and they did not provide a estimate.... seems odd. Also your review comes after 8 months after your stated you contacted us, why the delay? Since you seemed to feel the need to give us a f review and yet we have never even had any contact with yoy, I will ask that you please remove this review. Please do not wait 8 months the remove this unfair and unjustified review.

12/21/2015

Kelly S.

They did a fine job. I reiterate what I said above - I have an acre lot. Treating all of that for weeds (and skipping fertilizer because more fertilizer just means faster-growing grass and more cuttings) is paramount to keeping the lawn looking good. I will use them again in spring for a pre-emergent treatment which they recommended.

Description of Work
I have an acre of grass and they treated for weeds

Category landscaping,lawn service,lawn treatment

12/17/2015

Sarah P.

We have been maintenance customers for 2 years and have been happy with the job that is done. The crews are quick but thorough. When we request minor changes they are responsive and we don't have to ask more than once. Customer service has been friendly. It would be great if the cost was a little less but, overall, they do the job they promise to do and we have been happy with their service.

Description of Work
We have a yearly maintenance service for our lawn & landscape care which includes weekly maintenance from April/May through November & includes Spring & Fall clean up.

Category landscaping,lawn service

10/21/2015

Paul H.

Complete yard cleanup, tree trimming, flower bed maintenance. Excellent and thorough job. Needed the work done on short notice, Tom made a crew available so the job was completed in the time I needed it done. We will continue to use NLD In the future.

Category landscaping,lawn service,tree service

HI [Member Name Removed] Thanks for the great review!! Please keep us in mind for future needs Tom

10/13/2015

Molly D.

We had a great experience with Tom. He is seriously the nicest, most helpful guy ever! After getting four quotes to build a fence in our backyard, the fifth was a charm. We were very pleased to find out that Tom's team could complete both parts of our project: remove overgrown landscaping and build a fence. This was a much more efficient way to go for us. His price was extremely reasonable and he quickly worked us into his rotation, even taking care of getting the fence permit (which saved us a lot of time and hassle). SO appreciated! The work took about 3 days total and the end result is FANTASTIC! Our fence looks amazing and the perimeter of the yard has been considerably cleaned up. We'll definitely be calling them soon for a yard overhaul to make the landscaping we inherited at our new house more low-maintenance and kid-friendly. We'll be making Tom our go-to landscaping expert!

Description of Work
Tom's team removed overgrown landscaping to clear the way for a fence, which they also built for us.

Category fencing,landscaping

Wow Thanks [Member name removed]!!

Brick Patio Fixers

CHICAGOLAND BRICK PAVING AND LANDSCAPE

Small business with less than 20 employees working for you our customer. We provide customized landscape/hardscape design and installation to meet your needs and desires.

Hardrock Inc

Hardrock Design is a family owned and operated professional brick paving, landscape, concrete and construction company located in the northwest suburbs of Illinois. With over 25 years of experience serving the Chicagoland area and offering both residential and commercial business. Whether you're looking to replace, repair, or simply improve the appearance of your home or business we offer a variety of different options to meet your specific needs.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Available

LAWN FERTILIZING AND WEED CONTROL PROGRAMS, DIRECT TREE INJECTION FOR PEST CONTROL, SPRING AND FALL CLEAN-UP, CORE AERATION, MULCH INSTALLATION, MOSQUITO CONTROL, WEEKLY PROPERTY MAINTENANCE, LANDSCAPE DESIGN AND INSTALLATION SERVICES, HARDSCAPE DESIGN AND INSTALLATION SERVICES.

IRRIGATION, POOL INSTALLATION, ASPHALT, AND P0URED CONCRETE