Crne's Environmental Control

Founded 1988 • With Angi since February 2013

616 Anthony Trl

Northbrook, IL 60062

For over 25 years, we have been recognized as one of Chicagoland's most well respected heating and cooling companies. With locations in Northbrook and Palatine we are committed to providing superior sales, service and installation to both residential and commercial customers. We employ dedicated, highly skilled, quality factory trained technicians and craftsmen. We also offer yearly maintenance agreements. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Including all holidays. Residential and commercial....

07/02/2020

Mona K.

I had a great experience with Crne’s. I had 5 different HVAC techs out to my condo when I was having issues with my AC; 3 techs via my home warranty, 1 from an electronics/appliance store, and Crne’s, who was the only one of them who understood how the system in my condo building operates. The electronics store gave me a quote to replace my system including equipment (an air handler) that they and the other 3 techs didn't know was unnecessary. Crne’s explained to me why I didn't need a new air handler and replaced only my roof unit at considerable savings to me from the electronics store’s quote. Crne's is reliable, knowledgeable and trustworthy. Both Joy and Al provided great customer service, answering my myriad of questions about air conditioning and installation. Additionally, our management company uses them for the complex, and has spoken very highly of them as well. I feel very comfortable recommending Crne’s to anyone needing HVAC services.

Description of Work
AC installation with ambient control

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We enjoyed working with you and are thrilled that you are satisfied with the quality service and installation that we provided you. Thank you for trusting us to handle your HVAC needs.

06/23/2019

D Y.

CRNE's quote was extremely high for the Annual Maintenance. They wanted $89.00 for the trip to my house and an additional $156.00 for diagnostics (this fee can be waived if CRNE doe the repair). They wanted a total of $245.00 just to diagnose the problem. I had called 7 other heating & cooling businesses for quotes before calling CRNE's and the quotes from others ranged from $80.00 to $120. CRNE's quote was laughably the HIGHEST one of all. Joy, the woman who answered the phone, said that they are honest and they're the best company around. She sounded pompous and unprofessional.

Description of Work
Annual Maintenance

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding our recent phone conversation. When you initially called our office, you mentioned that your air conditioner was not working. We gave you pricing for a service call. You did not ask for pricing for annual maintenance, which is a completely different type of call. We are an honest company that provides you with all of the prices up front so there are no surprises once the technician is in your home. We stand behind our pricing and repairs and we get it right the first time.

03/30/2019

Darrin S.

We have a service contact with CRNE and have used their services for 14 years. Our heat stopped working this week and they arrived to assess the situation about an hour after I called. They had warned us that our 17 year old furnace would probably need to be replaced soon, so we weren’t shocked that they said it was time for a new furnace. They came back a few days later to install the new furnace. They are always on time, explain everything very well and didn’t try to upsell me to the most expensive model. You can count on CRNE.

Description of Work
Replace furnace

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your continued business! We strive to provide our customers with the best service in the industry and are happy you chose us! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

03/01/2019

Elaine T.

Wonderful, but Al and Tom had to move some very heavy oak furniture to get at the pipes. It was beyond their call to duty, but they were so nice and cooperative and moved the very heavy furniture. Both Al and Tom are exceptional and have great attitudes. They are great role models for what a service person should be. I would recommend our management company continue to use CRNES. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Description of Work
Radiant heating pipes need to be bleeded. I'm in a condominium and do not know anything about payment.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for your review! We are happy that you had a wonderful experience with our technicians. We look forward to working with you again in the future!

01/30/2019

Lara M.

We wanted a new heater because the house we bought had an old heater which did not distribute the heat evenly. The room above the floor where the heater sat was as hot as if it were summer, and a room which was the farthest away from the heater was so cold in the summer that nobody wanted to enter it. When we discussed this with the CRNES's maintenance crew, they explained what the issues were with the old heater. The old heater was not only not pushing out the heat evenly, it was placed in the wrong way and too big for the square footage of the house so that we were not getting heat for all the gas it was using. They did not push us to buy a new heater. They simply laid out the pros and cons of each new model. We decided to purchase a new heater because of the efficiency that the new heater would bring, plus we could control the temperature in each room much better. The crew who came to replace the heater was punctual, very professional. It took the first full day to take apart the old heater, take the parts out of the house, and then install the new heater. From there, it took another full day to adjust how the heat comes in to each room. If it wasn't for me needing to leave the house at the end of the second day, they would have stayed even longer to perfect it even further! In the end, we are now sitting in a warm house during the record cold winter day (-22 F).

Description of Work
Replaced an old heater with a new one. The old one was still working, but it was over 10 years old and inefficient.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Dear [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate your feedback and are happy to know you are enjoying your new equipment. We look forward to working with you for many years to come!

07/17/2018

Marietta Hoogs H.

Technician appeared knowledgeable and was willing to take the time to explain procedures in detail. This was an emergency assessment of our AC which had stopped working over the weekend. Part of the diagnosed problem was low refrigerant. Technician replaced 7lbs of R22 Freon at $175 per pound. It was not until the following day that we compared prices of other local companies we had considered, both of whom charged $99-100 per pound, with an additional $150 labor fee. Disappointed that we were charged considerably more by CRNE. They responded to our concern that this was due to "the particular type of freon" required by our unit. This information was contradicted by a second opinion we obtained, who additionally warned us that replacement of that amount of freon clearly indicates a leak that might even preclude refilling the system prior to further assessment/repair.

Description of Work
Air Conditioner Repair

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your review. As I had stated to you in response to your email, each company has their own fee structure. We provide a flat rate and do not charge additional labor with the installation of Freon. We do not charge any additional labor costs, which many companies do not disclose until after the service has been performed. The technician did communicate all costs to you up front, which you agreed to. The labor that was charged to you was for a separate repair that was made to your control board.

06/09/2018

Adrienne L.

Everyone at Crne's does their utmost to provide great service and quality work. Work we have had done includes: our furnace and a/c replaced, water heater replaced, air duct clearning, annual servicing, and emergency repairs (before the equipment was replace!). Al and the crew are efficient and informative - I can't recommend them highly enough.

Description of Work
Furnace and AC replacement

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac,water heater repair,air duct cleaning

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your continues business and look forward to working with you for many years to come!

05/29/2018

Paula P.

I called early morning and I was called back by a technician in a timely manner. When the man came, he was so kind, yet very professional. I was worried what I might be looking at. He kept me informed every step of the way. I’ve had people in my condo for various things. I cannot say how blessed and grateful I am that Al showed up to make sure my air conditioner was repaired. It was a long, very hot process but he remained so calm and kind. This company has one of the best employee I’ve experienced in a long time! Thank you for all you did!! Highly recommend CRNEs!

Description of Work
Air conditioner went out on Sunday, Memorial Day weekend 2018

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Dear [Member Name Removed] - We should be the one thanking you for choosing our company to take care of your HVAC needs. We are happy to hear that you had an exceptional experience. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We look forward to taking care of you in the future!

05/16/2018

Bonnie B.

Crne’s is excellent ! We have used their services for over 10 years. When we moved we felt most confident contracting with them knowing their expertise, outstanding service and great communication. We were very impressed with the thought that went into installing our new equipment in the most space efficient way. All work was incredibly neat, clean, and meticulously done. Al and Tom also replaced the connectors from the existing hot water heaters. They also placed insulation over an area that would prevent pests from coming in. Two nice surprises. I actually was trouble shooting that area, but they took care of the problem and I no longer needed to seal it off. I greatly appreciated that they took the initiative to make our home the best that it could be. The completed job was even better than we could have imagined. All team members are incredibly pleasant and great to work with. Even our dogs thought the Crne team was outstanding. Al Crne has the expertise and life long experience to deliver the best customer experience. We found the company when we needed emergency service 10 years ago . I saw their truck across the street in front of our neighbor’s house. They returned my call immediately. Crne’s is a well respected company based on it’s excellent service.

Description of Work
New furnace-direct vent and air conditioner

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Dear [Member Name Removed], Thank you for being a dedicated CRNE customer! We appreciate your loyalty and continued business. We look forward to many more years of working together! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

10/22/2017

Judith R.

It was fine. The individuals were on-time, explained the maintenance deal, which I felt was the best way to go. I signed the agreement, which enabled the initial visit to be covered. They checked the in-unit combo ac/heating unit, it was OK. They cleaned it and checked the roof-top unit and told us it was a replacement for the originals and was in good condition. They have been back to check everything recently (July 2017), twice a year is included .

Description of Work
CRNE has a working relationship with the condo buildings we moved into in July 2016. They came to check the heating cooling unit (all one). They offered a maintenance contract where the fee was a savings versus paying for individual visits.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are happy that you have been satisfied with our service. We look forward to taking care of your HVAC needs for many years to come!

10/21/2017

Helene W.

Crne has been servicing my ac & furnace for 20 years. They are very responsible. Always on time. Can count on them when an emergency pops up. My furnace went out & the temperature was 0 outside. It was a Friday evening and they came out. Would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
AC, Furnace & Vent Cleaning

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate your continued business. Thank you for trusting us with your HVAC needs.

10/18/2017

Sean W.

CRNE has always been prompt, courteous, and professional. In fact, they always seem to talk me in to spending less money, rather than selling additional services or hardware. When we replaced our furnace CRNE couldn't get the furnace we ordered in stock in time for our appointment. Instead of delaying or making us pay they installed a better furnace for the same, agreed-upon price.

Description of Work
CRNE replaced our furnace in our previous house and our water heater in our current house. They've also taken care of regularly scheduled maintenance over the years.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac,water heater repair

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback! We are happy you are satisfied with our services. We look forward to taking care of you (and your HVAC equipment) for years to come!

10/17/2017

Betsy L.

great summer coming next week for winter service

Description of Work
I contracted with them for winter and summer services. They call me to make appointments even when i forget to call back. they call the day of the service to narrow the window. they are so accommodating. They have great Customer service!

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are happy you are excited with the service that we have been providing you over the years. We look forward to taking care of your HVAC needs for years to come!

09/28/2017

Mike T.

The work was done professionally and expeditiously. The technician was prompt, courteous, and tidy. And best of all, everything works.

Description of Work
Regular maintainance and a new humidifier installed.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your review [Member Name Removed]! We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you this fall to tune up your furnace!

08/29/2017

Karen B.

Work went excellently. I have been using them to service my furnace and air conditioner ever since. Always punctual and knowledgeable.

Description of Work
Installed my furnace about five years ago. They were very neat and efficient. All work was done in a timely manner.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your review [Member Name Removed]. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to seeing you in the fall!

08/23/2017

Ricki H.

Always prompt and professional and explain the job completely.

Description of Work
They installed a new air conditioner and also for several years serviced the old one. This last time was for service only.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your review. We appreciated your loyalty and continued business.

08/22/2017

Jayne E.

CRNE's staff and technicians were very helpful and prompt. I will always call on CRNE to service my ac/heating.

Description of Work
The professionalism of their representative for this area, Steve, is extremely knowledgeable in this field. He helped me with important decision relating to my air conditioning and heating which were perfect for my situation. If you want good service and honesty then CRNE is your game.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We appreciate your business and look forward to servicing your new equipment.

08/20/2017

michael C.

everything has been great. The furnace has performed as promised and definitely lowered the gas bills. The service calls have been very professional and punctual. I would definitely recommend Cernes

Description of Work
installation of Carrier furnace and regularly scheduled maintenance

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your loyalty. We look forward to seeing you in the fall for your tune up!

04/28/2017

Mary Ann & Stanley S.

They're great. They check my a/c and make sure I have freon. They check my humidifier.

Description of Work
hvac service, replaced filters

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your review! We are very happy that you are pleased with the high level of customer service we provide throughout our entire organization and that you are a satisfied customer. We look forward to seeing you again at your next appointment. Thank you for your business!

04/05/2017

Bill G.

Crne was over-priced. I hired someone else, who has more ratings and higher ratings than Crne on Angie's list. Crne's technical aspects of the quote reflected a poor understanding of the engineering options. Crne wanted to sell me a bigger furnace so a bigger air conditioner would work. A new furnace was not necessary. On the quote, all options were added together at the bottom. Buying all options would have meant two air conditioners! On the plus side, the people were polite, professional, and the appointment was done on time. I am not mad. Crne was just not for me.

Description of Work
I had Crne come to my condo for a quote to replace my central air conditioner.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Hi Bill, Thank you for your review. I am sorry you feel that our quote was overpriced. The first quote that we presented to you with the furnace and air conditioner combination was to give you more features and a better overall comfort in your home. We also provided you a second option for a new air conditioner which would incorporate your existing furnace. We take pride in being the best installers in the business. In fact the owner is onsite at every install - making sure every job is done to perfection. We stand by our work. If you decide to give us another chance in the future, we would love to work with you.

03/07/2017

Kristen J.

They are unfailingly punctual and professional and very helpful, giving me tips for troubleshooting the furnace. Excellent customer service and work each time.

Description of Work
They replaced my air conditioner in 2009 and my water heater in late 2015, as well as repairing my furnace in between.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac,water heater repair

Thank you for your review. We look forward to servicing your equipment again!

02/20/2017

Steven S.

They always do a great job and always explain what they found and what we can do to make our equipment run more efficiently and last longer

Description of Work
We stared using them when we lost our furnace in mid winter ( a cold one). They said we needed a new ac unit as well and would install it and come back in the spring to start it up. They came on time, put drop cloths down to protect our flooring, and after taking the unit out made some suggestions to get better heat and air conditioning throughout the house with minor vent changes. They had to rebuild that part anyway so there was no extra charge. Since then they come out twice a year and do the maintenance.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac,water heater repair

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your loyalty and continued business. Thanks for referring us to your friends!

09/08/2016

Ruth H.

I am very satisfied with the Crne Heating Company. Al Crne did my work and was friendly and efficient. Their price was fair.

Description of Work
Replaced my roof top air conditioner and installed a digital thermostat

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your review! We are glad you are happy with the service you received. We look forward to seeing you again in the spring.

08/24/2016

Diane W.

When I called, they advised me there would be a $98 charge for the service call and a nonrefundable $l56 fee for labor. I never heard of charging a labor fee to diagnose and get an estimate, but I agreed because I thought I would be using them for the repair, and it would be applied to the total repair cost. Steve came out and said I needed a capacitor and contactor for the unit and quoted me a price of $821. He also stated that if I purchased a one-year service contract for $199, the price would be $701 for the repair. We then talked about replacing entire system vs. fixing it because it is an older unit; he quoted me $7950. I did know what to do, since I do not have much experience dealing with contractors, so I said I would have to think about it; however, I still had to pay the "labor" charge. I contacted another provider recommended by a neighbor who came out and fixed the a/c (replacing and capacitor and contactor) for a total cost of $170. Just feel CRNE'S fees are way out of line.

Description of Work
Estimate for repair to A/C.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Hi [Member Name Removed], We are sorry about the experience you had with our company. As you stated in your review, our office did communicate our fees with you before our technician came out to your home. Our technicians are NATE certified and attend continuing education classes on a regular basis. They are the best in the field and are trained to properly diagnose the call. We also use factory authorized parts - which are more expensive than after market parts. We do stand behind our service and offer warranties with all service calls. I am sorry you felt the need to contact another company. If you decide to call us again in the future, please contact me directly and I will happy to assist you. Joy

06/04/2016

Frank M.

The unit was installed without any problems on the date and time of the scheduled appointment. The cost was agreed on prior to installation. There were no additional costs. The unit is functioning properly.

Description of Work
Installed a Carrier A.C. condenser on the roof of my condominium.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your loyalty and continued business. We look forward to seeing you this spring!