In & Out Design

Founded 2012 • With Angi since April 2012

1311 W. Kingsley Drive

Arlington Heights, IL 60004

IN & OUT DESIGN is a unique design firm specializing in extraordinary landscape and hardscape outdoor transformations. Our comprehensive design and installation services include landscape design/installations and hardscape design/installation (custom stone or paver patios, driveways, walkways, seat walls, and gazebos). Recent awards include Angie's List 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014 Super Service Awards, Angie's List 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013 Honor Rolls. COMPLETE CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IS OUR #1 GOAL!!...

02/16/2022

Liz O.

The service was amazing. Very thorough. Mary and Rob were very receptive and helpful in the planning and installation.

Description of Work
They install artificial turf.

Category landscaping

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this wonderful review for your artificial turf project. We are so happy that you were pleased with our service. Thanks again!

12/20/2021

Ariella W.

Mary did an amazing job on our landscaping project. From the design to the installation and after care instructions. We felt like we had a partner the whole way. We have met with other companies before and could never get this project off the ground. We are so happy we found Mary. She is great to work with- very responsive- and her whole team is so professional. We wholeheartedly recommend In & Out Design. We will be using them in the spring for phase 2 of our project.

Description of Work
Landscaping

Category landscaping

Thank you so much for the lovely review! I am also so pleased to receive your email today about all the compliments you are getting from the neighbors for the new landscape front yard island garden bed. Your home's curb appeal has really been transformed, even with this first phase of your landscaping project. It has been such a pleasure working with you as well and we are looking forward to implementing the second phase of your project in the spring. See you in 2022!

11/01/2021

Marsha N.

Excellent. Design was beautiful and the finished product looked exactly like the design. All questions and concerns were addressed quickly and with ease. Mary and her crew are easy to work with and the work speaks for itself.

Description of Work
Backyard patio, gazebo and landscaping

Category contractors, landscaping, mulch, tree service, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

Thank you so much for the kind words. So happy that you are pleased with your new backyard gazebo, patio and landscaping. Enjoy!

Kate B.

We used In-and-Out Design to get ideas for paint color for all main living areas in our home. Mary was wonderful to work with. She listened to what we were looking for and brought color choices for us. She helped two design challenged people agree on color. We love the results.

Description of Work
Interior Paint color

Category interior painters

I am so pleased to hear that you were happy with our paint color consultation. It was a fun afternoon working with both of you. I hope you're enjoying the new colors in the house now that it is painted. Thanks so much for the review.

Kate B.

We used In-and-Out Design to get ideas for materials to use for remodeling two full bathrooms. Mary was wonderful to work with. She listened to what we were looking for and gave us ideas for design. She helped two design challenged people agree on color and design. We love the results.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel

Category ceramic tile, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

I am so pleased to hear you are loving your remodeled bathrooms. I always enjoy bringing everyone's ideas together in one cohesive, beautiful plan. Thank you for the lovely review.

Carol M.

I knew I wanted Mary from In & Out Design to help with my new townhouse master bedroom when we had our first conversation on the phone. She helped me completely transform my bedroom into a comfortable, cozy space utilizing the burgundy colors that I love. We kept most of the original furniture. However, Mary came up with a different furniture layout which made the room feel completely different just by doing that. We even went shopping together at a few home stores to pick out accessories, lighting, wall hangings, pillows and window treatments. It was a fun day! Mary has such a vision for design and she helped me achieve the look I had in my head but didn't know how to explain it. I love my master bedroom!

Description of Work
Redecorate Master Bedroom

Category interior designers, lighting, window treatments

I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying your master bedroom redesign. It was fun shopping together and the room is now "very cozy" and very functional. Enjoy your new master bedroom oasis.

Kate B.

We used In-and-Out Design to design landscaping for the front and sides of our home. Mary was wonderful to work with. She created a comprehensive design taking our desire for low maintenance in mind. She had an entire crew work on removing all of the old landscaping and installing the new. In addition to plants and bushes, the crew replaced sod and had to regrade parts of the lawn. We love the results. In addition to the installation, Mary has excellent communication and has continued to check in and see if we are having any issues with the plantings and give us tips and instructions on what is needed to do at the beginning and end of seasons. I highly recommend!

Description of Work
Complete landscape design and installation in front of home

Category contractors, landscaping, mulch, outdoor lighting

Thank you for taking time to provide this wonderful review. It will be wonderful to see the garden awaken in the spring. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. Thanks again!

10/29/2021

Barry C.

We selected In and Out Design based on review from prior customers. Mary and her team exceeded our expectations providing professional landscape design and installation services. Mary was very easy to work with. She listened to our ideas and delivered a design incorporating many of our suggestions while presenting new ideas and plants that we hadn't considered. We were extremely pleased with the final design. We decided to have the whole design implemented in stages with the first stage installed this summer. Mary's knowledge of plant material that would flourish in out specific location providing privacy and color while incorporating additional plants to enhance our butterfly garden, was very helpful. Mary and her team were very professional and we highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Landscape design and installation

Category landscaping

It was a pleasure working with you on the landscape design and implementation of the first phase of your landscape installation. It will be wonderful to see the plants awaken in the spring. Please keep me posted on how everything is going and when you're ready for the next phase of the project. Thank you so much for the wonderful review!

10/11/2021

John S.

We were so pleased with In & Out, the design was everything we wanted and more. Mary kept us informed every step of the way. the patio was done on schedule and within budget. One or our neighbors came over to see the finished patio and said "You now have the best patio in the neighborhood."

Description of Work
Listen to my wife's vision for a patio and transform that vision into a patio we would be proud of

Category contractors, landscaping, patios

Thank you so much for the kind words and wonderful review! It has been a pleasure working with you. We appreciate the opportunity to design and install your new custom paver patio including a beautiful curved seat wall, steps, landscaping and lighting. Your backyard is now a beautiful, functional space to enjoy with your family and friends. We are so pleased to hear that your neighbors also think your patio is the "best in the neighborhood". Thanks again and enjoy!

11/01/2020

Liz O.

Mary and her team were a delight to work with. They were promt, courteous and efficient..

Description of Work
Patio needed to be redone

Category landscaping, cabinet refacing, patios

10/30/2020

Debbie H.

I highly recommend In and Out Design. I didn't realize how bad my yard was when I moved last year into a 50 year old house. Mary erased all those years of neglect and gave me a front yard that gets compliments from everyone walking by, a beautiful backyard for me and my dog to enjoy and a path to reach the front door which my neighbors say hasn't existed in over 20 years. There was a lot to do to make the outside of my house look good again and Mary took care of everything. After an initial consultation, she presented a very professional plan of what the finished product would look like, listened to my feedback and revised the plan accordingly. She coordinated the removal of the overgrown shrubs and dying pine trees, had a retaining wall rebuilt and fence installed in the backyard. The pavers Mary chose for the patio and walkway coordinate with the existing colors of the siding and brick and really pulled everything together. All the contractors Mary brought in were professional and left things as neat as possible every night. Mary was onsite nearly everyday checking on the progress. She kept me informed through emails, texts and phone calls and answered any of my questions or concerns promptly. Over 170 beautiful trees, shrubs and flowers were planted in the spring and Mary has checked in with me several times over the summer to make sure everything is doing ok. I'm giving Mary and In and Out Design two thumbs up!

Description of Work
redo front, back and side yards, landscape and hardscape

Category landscaping, hardscaping

10/29/2020

Sue B.

Mary DiCarlo came to our rescue when we hosted our daughter’s wedding in our backyard. We had three weeks to plan the wedding and I am forever grateful Mary answered my email requesting help. After our first phone call, I knew Mary understood our hopes for the yard and our short timeline. She excitedly took on the challenge of designing a backyard wedding venue and quickly developed a plan to enhance our yard, front, back and sides. Mary’s passion for outdoor design yielded a colorful collection of plants, shrubs, grasses, and tree species through a combination of annuals and perennials. The result was a stunning setting for an intimate wedding and a reincarnated yard we can enjoy year-round. Mary proved to be the perfect blend of professionalism, compassion, enthusiasm, and efficiency and oversaw the project to completion—all in time for an unforgettable wedding! Bride Approved!

Description of Work
Transformed Backyard into Wedding Venue Worthy and more....

Category landscaping, mulch, tree service, hardscaping

10/29/2020

Lori C.

Excellent. The stone we had used previously was no longer available but Mary did a great job of hunting and researching until she found one that worked perfectly. The installation was quick and looks wonderful. We had a few of the stones start to slide for some reason but her team was out there the very next day and fixed it immediately. We have had no issues since. We would highly recommend In and Out design.

Description of Work
New unilock lined Landscape bed to match the one done 5 years prior

Category landscaping, mulch, hardscaping

10/27/2020

Judy V.

It was great. We planned what was to go in and a small change in the size of the beds. all went according to the plans that were drawn up.

Description of Work
My front yard beds needed a refresh with new plants and the old ones removed.

10/12/2020

Arlene K.

I recently had a full property landscaping projected completed by In & Out Design, Mary, along with Rob and his crew did a wonderful job. Prior to our meeting, I received a form to complete so that Mary would have an idea of my preferences for the landscaping. Mary designed a small river bed to handle a drainage issue. Along with the landscaping plan, she provided a plant list and photos of the plants to be installed. As COMED was going to be in my yard installing electrical cables, Mary took the time to speak with the COMED representative to make sure that the new plants would not be in the way for COMED. The install went smoothly. Start to finish, on schedule. The plants were all healthy and beautiful. Mary was always and still is available to answer my questions either by phone, email or text. She even took extra time to come back to my home to explain how to care for the plants. She is very knowledgeable. I would highly recommend In & Out Design for a landscaping project.

Description of Work
Landscaping

Category landscaping, cabinet refacing

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! It was truly our pleasure working with you to make sure all of your needs and wants were accomplished with the design and plant selection. While the dry creek beds addressed your concerns for drainage from neighboring properties, it does add a nice element of texture and interest to the landscape as well. We wish you many years enjoying the landscape as it matures. Of course, please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions regarding plant care, etc. Thanks again!

11/01/2019

Jim P.

We've worked with Mary on several projects now and as always, her ideas and designs are exceptional. From the plants and trees she picked out to the placement. Everything looks amazing! Her crew did a fantastic job on installation and cleaned up as if nothing happened. Perfect!

Description of Work
Full redo of our front landscaping. Removal of old bushes and install of new trees, bushes and mulch

SELIMA A.

Mary and her team are like a dream - particularly in a world of landscape contractors who rarely return a first call of inquiry. Mary and Rob (lead installer)) not only created unique solutions to a few what felt like insurmountable problems, but made adjustments along the way as needed in a timely manner. Adjustments to the initial quote were done in a timely manner, as well as any delays and answers to questions. Mary was open to expand the scope of the project, and Rob and his crew completed it in the original amount of time estimated. The work was perfectly executed, and clean up was top rate. The end result is beautiful! I wholeheartedly recommend In and Out Design, and will continue to work with Mary and her team for fall and spring cleanup, as well as other small projects around the yard.

Description of Work
Re-landscaping to address muddy areas and re-set stone patio

Category landscaping, tree service, hardscaping

Karen K.

The end result is beautiful and the care and additional touches, concern, and follow up by Mary have been far beyond expectation. She has been extremely professional and just wonderful to work with. She really cares about doing a good job and helping the client get the results they need and want. Once the project is done, she continues to follow up and make sure things are going well. We would absolutely hire her without hesitation for future projects and recommend her to others.

Description of Work
We needed an update and cleanup of our landscaped planting areas to make it lower maintenance going forward. This included removing areas that were overrun with weeds, overgrown existing plants/shrubs with new ones, replacement plants and shrubs, removing a row of hedges and installing sod. This included an overall landscape design plan and adding lighting.

Category landscaping, outdoor lighting

Marsha N.

Mary is excellent to work with. She was very responsive. She drew up a fantastic design for me and we worked back and forth through the details. She worked in product that I already had and brought a new flare to it. Great design. Easy to work with. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Hardscaping and landscaping design

Category landscaping, hardscaping

10/30/2019

Kathy S.

My husband and and I love a beautiful garden but we are not gardening enthusiasts. When it came time this year to redo the garden beds in the front of our home, we contacted Mary DiCarlo of In&Out Designs. We could not be more please with Mary and the quality of her services. She came to our home, listened to our needs, and developed a plan that satisfied our desire for beauty without high maintenance requirements. The time from first visit to garden installation was timely. Mary is very personable and knowledgeable and helped to make a project that was originally quite intimidating for us very enjoyable. We are looking forward to enjoying her design and our garden for years to come.

Description of Work
Garden beds

10/29/2019

Laurel V.

We love our patio, fireplace and landscaping that In and Out Design did for us this summer. Mary is awesome. She takes so much time to understand what is needed and designs everything. You can see the project come to life in her interactive designs and she will revise over and over again to make sure everything is perfect. Once we hired In and Out computer designs were initiated that included every flower, stub, and detail. It was so nice to see everything in the design before work started. Mary helped pick out the pavers and made a process that was daunting so easy. Once the work started the installers were so fast yet meticulous. The work is excellent. We are outside almost every night now in our beautiful space.

Description of Work
Paved patio and fireplace along with landscaping

Category landscaping, mulch, fireplaces, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

10/27/2019

Kristi B.

Mary spent months going over revisions with us to determine if the stairs would be removed or not and the final layout of front and back landscaping. She is extremely responsive and knowledgeable in her art.

Description of Work
Mary redid our entire back patio and landscaping, as well as concrete stair removal and landscaping in front yard.

Category landscaping, mulch, tree service, hardscaping, patios

09/13/2019

PAT H.

Vendor got back to me to let me know she didn't perform that type of service, but she kindly suggested some options. I appreciated the response.

Description of Work
Made inquiry about help with photo wall/montage

Category interior designers

10/31/2018

Carol M.

The transformation that In & Out Design’s team accomplished in just a half day at my townhouse is unbelievable. I had previously utilized their services in my single family home for both Interior Design and Landscape Design/Installation. I knew that when I moved into this townhouse, I would need Mary’s assistance again. She created a new backyard and front entry garden bed landscape design for me over the summer. When I was ready to implement the project, Mary prepared all of the documents to submit to my Homeowners Association for approval and the HOA was so impressed that it was approved in one day. The project was installed last week and I am receiving compliments from all of my neighbors, friends and family. I am sure Mary will be getting more phone calls from other homeowners in my townhouse complex. When everything was completed, I sat in my new casual seating area and just enjoyed the beauty surrounding me. Even though the installation was done in the fall and many of the plants were starting to get ready for the winter, it was still a major transformation. Mary incorporated planters and hanging baskets into the back patio and front entry areas so that I could have spring, summer and fall annuals for continuous pops of color throughout the seasons. Fall Mums, pumpkins and gourds were added to the planters and hanging baskets in beautiful orange, rust and yellow fall colors. I can’t wait to see how everything blooms next year! Thank you Mary, Rob, Alex and Carlos!

Description of Work
Landscaping and new casual seating area for townhouse

Category landscaping, mulch, hardscaping

10/29/2018

julie E.

Outside of weather delays it went extremely well. We were kept informed at all times and the finished product exceeded our expectations. Mary is great to work with. She is friendly, but professional and truly knows her business. We incorporated many of her design suggestions into the finished product and couldn't be happier with the final result.

Description of Work
Remove and replace patio.

Category landscaping, mulch, hardscaping, patios