Midwest Foundation Repair

Iowa: Contractors
06/30/2021

9850 Douglas Ave

Urbandale, IA 50322

Wet Basement or Foundation Problems? Call Midwest Basement Systems. For over 16 years, Midwest Basement Systems has served the Central Iowa area fixing/repairing over 10,000 homes just like yours. We take care of "All Things Basementy!" Whether it is Basement Waterproofing, Basement Structual Repair, Mold and Odor Control, or simply a Nasty Crawl Space call us today. Our estimates are free, our standards are superior, our workmanship is the highest quality, and our warranties are the best in the business. The warranties are for the life of your home and are fully transferable should you decide to move and sell you home. Call us today to set up your free analysis of your home....

4.4

4.3

4.3

4.2

foundation repair (23)basement waterproofing (14)home inspection (4)mudjacking (3)excavating (1)

04/24/2021

Kenny or Janet H.

Everything went as explained, diagramed, and promised by our System Design Specialist, Mr. Nicolas Hruska. We initially contacted just the top two Foundation Repair Experts listed on Angie's List because we can't afford to have our home repaired by anyone who lacks the proper credentials, staff, tools, training, techniques, supplies, 25 year transferrable warranty, and the hands on experience to deliver all services as promised. We are extremely pleased with the final results to take back our homes basement from poor workmanship done by the original builder and owner of our home back in 1979 We purchased the home in 2001 and unknown to us the foundation had been placed on top of clay based sub-soil which was an acceptable building practice back in 1979. Today's building codes prohibit this careless and costly practice of home site preparation for the homeowner. A word to the wise, do your home work first and then protect the biggest asset that most Americans have, their home. Respectfully, Kenny L. Hutcheson, CMSgt, USAF/USN, Ret. Indianola, Iowa

Description of Work
Permanently stabilize all four basement walls and the centerline support beam of the floor of our home to prevent sag. They also waterproofed our entire poured wall foundation for water intrusion.

Category home inspection,basement waterproofing,foundation repair

Work Completed On 04/24/2021

Review for Midwest Foundation Repair - 9850 Douglas Ave, Urbandale, IA - 39306823

06/03/2020

Joli V.

They never responded. I’m fine with that. Went with a competitor (WCI) and very happy with them.

Description of Work
Estimate of possible work required

06/01/2020

Kim E.

They had to change the system and put in more pumps.

Description of Work
The system they put in failed

Work Completed On 03/04/2020

12/05/2019

Dana K.

The service were very thorough and What was appreciated was they gave us options on things that could be done; and they were very honest.

Description of Work
Basement Water Seepage Consultation

Work Completed On 10/30/2019

Jesse P.

It was fine. They showed up on time, got the job done and it added value to my house.

Description of Work
They put in a bracing system in the walls of my basement.

Work Completed On 07/25/2019

Ross P.

They were fantastic, from the minute they walk in the door upto the completion of the project, they were just great.

Description of Work
Leveled up the concrete on the driveway and some foundation repairs

Category mudjacking,foundation repair

Work Completed On 06/30/2018

Matt G.

I had multiple companies who come out and they were the one who had the best presentation. The price was very comparable and the work was great. They did a great job completing the work within the time frame and cleaning up.

Description of Work
We had french drain and sump pump installed .

Work Completed On 10/30/2019

05/05/2016

Jena W.

We called in January 2016 to get a quote for our basement repair. Our consultation was scheduled for two weeks out, which didn't seem too bad to me, especially considering that we were over an hour away from their office. The gentlemen that did our consultation was friendly and did a great job of explaining everything to us, at the time. The issues came into play when we decided to move forward with the job. We spent two months completely removing everything from our basement - a spare bathroom, built in shelving, workbench, and all of the items we simply had in storage. We even had to pay over $1000 to have our electrical box moved so it wouldn't be in their way. We had absolutely everything in place when they arrived to begin the repair. An hour after they were supposed to start, I received a phone call from one of their employees telling me that our basement floor wasn't thick enough for the job that needed to be done and that they'd have to replace the basement floor too - for an additional $10,000. This seems like something that should have been checked before the day of the project. The guy seemed blown away that I didn't want to proceed with getting the job done. I was beyond mad that we spent months preparing for this only to be told that we'd have to pay them over twice as much to get the job done. We're preparing to start this process over again and I can assure you, we will NOT be calling Midwest Basement Systems for quotes or repairs and we absolutely do not refer them to anyone we know.

Description of Work
Quote for foundation repair and basement waterproofing

Category basement waterproofing,foundation repair

Work Completed On 05/03/2015

10/21/2015

Aaron D.

I am a very busy person, so I often get referrals from trusted people to save time. I personally know many happy customers who had work done by this company, so they were the only place I called when I needed my home's foundation repaired. I knew it was going to be a huge job. In Nov 2014 they came out to look at our failing foundation walls and give us a quote for the work. One wall had been replaced in the 1980's and was fine. The other 3 walls were clay brick. Two of the walls had huge cracks and were falling down. They needed complete replacement. The other wall wasn't cracked and looked ok to me. They said it did not need to be replaced, but that it did need to be braced. This was not presented as "option" so much as a necessity for the home to have a solid foundation. The original quote for 2 new walls and one braced wall was about $36,000. We approved the quote and scheduled the work for the earliest time which was in about 3 months. All along the sales guy and other staff members were very professional and friendly. To prepare, we had to move our air conditioner, some fencing and a few other things to allow access for the crew.The week before work was to start a guy (not the salesman) came out to do a final inspection and make sure those things had been done. Much to our surprise, he told us that they could not brace the wall as they had originally recommended. I was told that they don't brace clay brick walls because it is not effective and the only option is to rebuild the wall. I was then put back in contact with the salesman to discuss the issue. He said it would be an extra $15,000 to do the work. This was not good news. Then he told me that the wall didn't really need replaced and so they could just replace the other walls and do nothing to the 3rd. I was confused. Three months ago he told me that the wall needed braced . A couple days ago the inspection guy said it should be replaced. Now I am being told it's fine? His explanation was that the bracing option wasn't so much to fix the wall as it was to prevent a problem. I asked, why did the other guy say I need to replace the wall? His explanation was that clay brick is not the best foundation type and ideally should be replaced. However, the wall at this time is stable so I didn't need to replace it. Then I asked; why was I told to brace a clay brick wall 3 months ago if that doesn't even work? Basically, he said this was his mistake. He tried to make it right by getting the owner's involved and we had many discussions by phone. He made himself available at all times of day and was always professional and friendly. Unfortunately, I had lost my confidence in their recommendations. Did my wall need braced, replaced, or left alone? I ended up calling about 10 other basement companies to sort it out. All of the companies agreed that the walls would not be fixed by bracing them. They all agreed that the two cracked walls needed to be replaced. They all agreed that wall in question was currently stable and we could wait until it becomes a problem, but that it makes better sense to replace it now since we are already tearing out the other 2 walls. We agreed and went with another company who replaced all 3 walls for almost $19,000 less than the quote we got from Midwest. I don't think Midwest was out to get us or anything like that. I think there were some internal issues with communication that led to our problem. They were very professional and I think that if we had gone with them, the work would have been done right. Although my experience was initially very frustrating, it forced me to get more than one opinion which I should have done from the start. Ultimately their mistake led to me saving a ton of money and getting the sturdy, dry foundation that my home needed.

Description of Work
They gave us an estimate for foundation repair and then when they came to do the work they completely changed the scope and price of the work.

Work Completed On 02/28/2015

11/01/2014

John J.

The sales guy was very impressive. He explained everything about the process and did a detailed inspection of the areas to be worked on. He was honest in saying that sometimes the concrete seams don't match up perfectly, but that the installers would use a grinder to feather out any spots where this would happen. I asked about cracking and he said that it rarely occurred. The installer came on the appointed day and was still there when I returned from work. He had completed much of the job, but indicated that he had trouble with some of the equipment and that some of the poly-leveling material had sprayed around some of the work areas. He said he would come back and finish the next day (which was a Saturday). He returned Saturday and finished. I inspected the work and was generally happy with the concrete leveling; my front step was now very close to it's original height and my patio was shedding water away from the house. But I did find a couple of things that distressed me and told the installer about them: 1. There were two very noticeable cracks and a third very thin one. Would he be filling these cracks to prevent future water damage? 2. There were many places in the driveway where the slabs were still uneven. Was he planning on grinding those down as promised? After he left, I also noticed that the patching material used to fill the holes seemed to be chipping away already and in several holes, did not even come up to the level of the slab. He later called back and said that he would come back and use a high quality sealer to fill the cracks. He didn't mention the uneven concrete. I later was contacted by the office about payment. I explained that there were outstanding issues. I was assured that arrangement had been made to fix them. Then I made the ultimate error: I paid them. When the sales guy made a follow up call, I told him there were still outstanding issues, and that I had been promised that they would be addressed. No cracks have been filled, the holes collect water every time it rains and I am mortified at the prospect of trying to clear snow from my uneven driveway this winter. Could I have made more noise with them about this? Sure. Should I have to after making three people aware of the problems? Certainly not.

Description of Work
Poly-leveling of patio, concrete step and driveway.

Category home inspection,mudjacking

Work Completed On 05/23/2014

Basement Water Proofing, Basement Structural Repair, Odor Control, Basement Wall and Foundation Replacement, Crawl Space Repair and encapsulation, Dehumidification Solutions and Concrete Repair.

Egress Window Replacement, Radon Services