American Handyman Service LLC

Founded 1996 • With Angi since April 2012

4.4

Tucson, AZ 85740

American Handyman Service is a local family owned & operated home repair and improvement company. We strive for the best customer service and satisfaction around. We are confident that if you use our service once you will use it again. And we hope you'll refer your family and friends too! American

02/24/2021

William O.

Agreed to the quote and scheduled to start in the morning of 02/24/21. Called the worker a day prior and was told he would come between 8-10 AM. Didn't show up, called around 10:30 AM. Said would arrive around Noon. Now passes 2 PM, still no show and didn't call back to explain why late. Just pure bad communication and service!! Will not use them again.

Description of Work
To replace an existing irritation with PVC and enhance patio posts.

Category irrigation systems

07/25/2020

Steven P.

This is the second time I have needed their help (the first being more than five years ago for fairly major repair of the track of my sliding glass door - which went well, by the way, which is of course why I hired them again!)... In June, I spoke with Herb initially about this job, and he provided very straightforward info up front about how they do things, which was good because it had been so long since I hired them. He was very understanding about my need to ensure my tenants that no one would come to the door, for their privacy, esp. given the pandemic. On the scheduled day, July 1, Chris showed up within our agreed-on time window to begin work. First, Chris went up and promptly assessed the damage, and then consulted with me. The patching of the leaking corner "L" joint of the gutter was a clear path as I predicted, though it would be some extra work to clean out my previous failed attempt to patch it with the wrong material. As to the damaged fascia boards below, my initial thought had been that at least two boards would need replacing (see my two before photos from Sept.). However, Chris advised against that since it would require complete detachment of the metal porch awning/roof extension to do that properly. He said that could be done, but it would be very costly, so he advised careful patching of the fascia as an alternative. I agreed to it, he went to get materials, came back, did the work, and it turned out looking really good - much better than I thought it could at the outset. [Several days later, my tenant painted over the area after the patch compound was thoroughly dry, and at that point, it was hard to even tell anything had been done there.] My experiences with American Handyman - so far only two, but five years apart - have been very good. They've been very professional, and I thought the pricing was fair considering the time it takes to do this work. I will call them first next time I need something done!

Description of Work
Gutter leak on roof and water damage to fascia just beneath it

Category gutter repair, roofing

04/19/2019

Bob L.

I called American Handyman to set up an appointment. Talked to Herb, the owner, and told him the job that needed to be done. I was pretty specific. Two rows of glass tile for a kitchen backsplash. It would be approximately 16 feet long and 5 inches high. There would be a few cuts around some electrical outlets, and very small grout lines. I had all the materials. I was told no problem, and scheduled the job for two weeks later. One of their employees, Wes, showed up at my house at the appointed time. He took a look at the job and immediately started with excuses. "It was glass tile and he didn't have tools to make the cuts. Cutting the tile would leave jagged edges. The grout lines were too small and he didn't know if that was possible!" I've seen and done jobs like this in the past and I wasn't asking for anything impossible, so I told my wife to send him away and we'd find someone who could do the job. If American Handyman can't send out workers with the right tools and who are comfortable doing the job, then they should never accept the job. They do nothing but waste my time and theirs. In the future, I will not be calling this company for a tile job.

Description of Work
2 rows of glass tile for kitchen backsplash

Category handyman service, home remodeling

06/02/2018

Rocio P.

This guy over quoted me. Sketchy about quoting me. Way to expensive He quoted me $400. I would never call him again. I called another handyman service and did the job for half.

Description of Work
Hanging Trellis, Securing outdoor lights

02/21/2018

Natasha A.

Their technician showed up at approx. 7:45. Without starting doing any repairs, he disappeared to "get supplies" and was gone from exactly 8:30 until 10:30 am. Supplies turned out to be a can of plaster and a metal net, and not any kind of hard to find supplies that justify being gone for 2 hours. The technician showed up at 10:30 and finally started patching the hole. Then he was gone for some time again, came back and resumed working. He was gone before 1pm. Therefore, real work time will barely account for 3 hours. A family member was on the premises at all times and observed the "work" schedule. If we switch to the work product instead, then it is obvious that a specialist should be able to patch more than just ONE (1) hole in the wall. While trying to talk to the manager to resolve this issue, I was yelled at and directed to wait for the technician's call. Instead of calling me, he called my husband (who was unaware of the dispute at the time of the call) and insisted he worked for 7 full hours. This call was followed up by my letter with an invitation to resolve the dispute, which still remains unanswered. Instead of resolving the issue, I was charged $435.48, including the supplies. NO RECEIPT was provided for the supplies shopping. I would not have disputed the supplies charge if the technician showed up with them. Since he was gone for 2 hours one time and for approx. one hour later (maybe an extended lunch break?) and was looking for the supplies, I requested that I was provided with a receipt. This request was ignored as well. The oral agreement that my husband had with them was for a full day of work at the rate of $50.00/hour. During that time, like I already said, only 1 hole was patched. My other question is: why am I supposed to pay for a non-accounted for, extended absence and undocumented purchases? And yet another question: why does management ignores client's complaints in its entirety?

Description of Work
patching a small hole in the outside wall

11/20/2017

Karen M.

Small job. Quick response, arrived on time, professional conduct, and successful repairs - replaced the broken hinge and fixed the mis-aligned door so the deadbolt would lock.

Description of Work
Repair broken spring on door hinge, and re-align another door so the deadbolt would lock.

09/13/2017

Lorna G.

Great! Very creative thinking involved to repair my baseboard - and it looks good!

Description of Work
I needed some repairs on my baseboard trim.

Category contractors

08/08/2017

Carol L.

sloppy, incomplete, a disaster NOT LICENSED FOR PLUMBING!!!

Description of Work
plumbing repair

Category handyman service, plumbing

02/07/2017

Carol L.

After seven visits and 20 hours of labor we had to hire another plumber to finish the job. After one visit there was an obvious leak when the "tech" left! Very sloppy incomplete work. "Re-piped" part, then had to go back, take that out and "re-pipe" the whole house (only about 10 feet involved). We paid for an unbelievable amount of "travel time". On one occasion the "tech" was at Home Depot at 6:00am, but arrived at the job at 9:00am, left the job at 1:00pm, charge for labor was $535.00 (@$51 per hour) ! (+ $100 in materials) This was to "re-pipe waterlines hot and cold, (these were the lines that were replaced 6 weeks later) a line and valve to the toilet and to install our faucet at the bathroom sink. After complaint about the time the total was reduced to $482.00. Total to AHS was over $1400.00 The cost to have someone else complete the job was $725.00.

Description of Work
Needed to have water connected and all plumbing checked, and repaired if necessary, for Park Model manufactured home (trailer)

Category handyman service, plumbing

03/25/2016

Yvonne M.

When they left I could not see one single thing they had done to the front door. Air still flows through and allows breeze into home. It cost me $50 to have little to no improvement made. Then they were to give me an estimate on putting in a door between our master bedroom and master bath. Days went by, heard nothing, a week, 2 weeks, I finally called them. Today I get a quote from them via email saying it would cost $1000 to put a door in...seriously? We were asking for a thicker door and some stripping around the door to block noise but I think they're just a tad bit overpriced. Rip off, unbelievable, not impressed or happy with them. Will not use again.

Description of Work
They were to stop air flow from front door and give me an estimate on putting in a door between master bedroom and master bathroom.

Category contractors, handyman service, doors

02/29/2016

Bree E.

Robert was very professional and did excellent work. Arrived on time and was able to do all of the work very quickly and efficiently.

Description of Work
Fixed gate that had been ripped off its hinges, fixed security door bolt, replaced 2 light fixtures, removed existing house numbers and installed new ones.

Category electrician, doors

12/16/2015

Mark S.

I had to go over some things they had to do. They were late and they didn't have materials. I probably won't use them again. They were a little expensive on what they did.

Description of Work
They did a little stucco repair around the doorway.

Category stucco

10/20/2015

James Matthew P.

We had water damage in our bathroom. We managed to get an appointment within a few business days. A shower leak had damaged the dry wall and tiles. The dry wall needed to be repaired and tiles needed to be re-attached and grouted. Pete performed the work. He showed up within the one hour time window. The work took about five hours. He worked with me to give me what I wanted. He also made some recommendations to prevent further damage. He's a nice guy, very professional, cleaned up after the repairs. Accommodated my paranoia about there possibly being further leaks in the wall. He saved us some money by not extending the repairs past one day, leaving the painting to us and reusing the wood molding. I'm very happy with my experience. Thanks Pete!

Description of Work
Repair dry wall and tile.

Category drywall, handyman service, heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, water damage restoration

07/13/2015

Tamara C.

The handyman was on time, he was even early. The drywall repair itself went quickly, he was done within an hour, however it still needed to be painted. We were told he would be able to match the color of the paint for us. He went to Home Depot and when he returned, he had not only the wrong color but an entire gallon of paint that we were charged for. He then made a second trip to Home Depot and returned with a quart of paint which was still an incorrect color, which we were also charged for. We were charged for the time it took to do both trips to go to Home Depot, resulting in a higher bill (50-100 dollars more) than would have occurred if we would have gotten the correct color the first time. So in the end, we paid 67 dollars for paint that is the incorrect color and now we have to repaint it ourselves. He also seemed like he didn't want to be here and had a negative attitude.We would not use this company again.

Description of Work
Dry wall repair, we had two holes and two scratches in our wall

Category drywall, handyman service

Dear Member, American Handyman Service was not made aware of any disappointment with this project. When minor drywall repairs are made paint color/sheen is not always a 100% match. The calibration of every paint mixing machine is different. The only way to ensure the repair is not visible is to paint the entire wall. This can be done it just requires additional labor.

06/26/2015

Pam D.

He did a good job; cleaned up after himself, and did the job in a timely manner. He arrived on time; and showed me what had occurred from the leak and what he was going to do to fix it. I will certainly use American Handyman Services again.

Description of Work
Fixed and repaired the flooring underneath a leak form the 2nd story balcony door. Took around 4 hours; employee was courteous and professional.

06/09/2015

Doug J.

It looks great and works great. Not cheap, but excellent work.

Description of Work
Replaced the old wood slats on a gate with synthetic slats and made the gate shut properly.

Category handyman service, woodworking

06/05/2015

Pamela K.

They were very professional and efficient. Also, gave advice on future projects. We had six smoke detectors replaced. We had a problem with a couple of receptacles which were diagnosed and repaired. Would definitely use them again for a larger project.

Description of Work
Replace smoke detectors which we purchased separately and checked and repaired two electrical outlets.

Category electrician, handyman service

06/01/2015

Elaine C.

Workman did a wonderful job matching the original finish on the vegas. Also filled in extensive areas which were damaged.

Description of Work
Apply wood filler to deteriorated vegas. Also, sealed and painted them.

06/01/2015

William D.

He was on time, efficient and did what he said he'd do

Description of Work
varnished front door removed, repainted and replace wrought iron removed, replaced and repainted bottom of damaged balcony door repainted wood in back patio

05/26/2015

James J.

Called to have a outside door installed, came unprepared to do the work, charged for the time he spent going to get equipment, really did not know how to install the door and left it half finished after 6+ hours. Had to have someone come in and fix the work. Does not come out prior to see what is needed

Description of Work
Installed an outside door

05/19/2015

Barbara W.

Person was way too slow for the hourly price we were paying. Did a good job on part and the other parts done very poorly, cracking and no knock down of the orange peel.

Description of Work
Finish a drywall job. Sanding, applying the finish orange peel and blending with the other walls.

05/16/2015

William G.

Herb is unwilling to give quotes, to come and look at the job and bid it. He wants you to just hire him and hope for the best. Avoid him like the plague.

Description of Work
Nothing. I talked to him about doing some work for me. He refused to give me an estimate, and said that he would just come over and do it. I asked him about specifics and he refused to give any. This guy is trolling for people who don't have a clue that they can be ripped off.

05/08/2015

Melody C.

The handyman was early, which isn't bad but I would have liked him to be there between 9 and noon like they said he would be. He showed up about 8:30, not a huge deal. He measured the door, went to the store to get the materials he needed, and went straight to work. He was very quick, efficient and most importantly honest and friendly. I chose this particular handyman service because they had a lot of reviews and all were good, and also there were coupons. Who doesn't love coupons? I will DEFINITELY be using American Handyman Service again. I am a very happy customer.

Description of Work
Repaired (replaced) screening on my front security door. Looks amazing!

05/05/2015

Verner S.

He made an appointment and never showed up nor did he call.

Description of Work
He made an appointment and never showed up nor did he call.

04/29/2015

Dwayne N.

He did work promptly, did an excellent job. Very professional and worked to make times work for us. Highly recommend!!!

Description of Work
Hung large mirrors and heavy decor wall hangings. Painted electric conduit to match house, worked on fascia around porch.

Category electrician, handyman service, interior painters

All Terrain Landscape Creations Inc

All Terrain Landscape Creations is a full service Design & Build firm. We service residential and commercial clients in Tucson, Vail, Marana, Oro Valley, Green Valley and most of the surrounding areas. We provide landscape design and installation, irrigation system installation & repair, landscape maintenance, lighting, pavers, patios as well as water features, outdoors kitchens & bbqs.

Bambauer Irrigation

Owner operated, professional, reliable, and courteous irrigation and low voltage lighting repair & installation in Tucson AZ. Over 30 years of irrigation and landscape experience. Offering residential and commercial repair/installation of sprinkler systems, drip systems, timers, valves, backflow preventers and more.Text or call Ed at 520-820-6871 to schedule.

Andy's Irrigation

Andy's Irrigation specializes in drip irrigation repair and installation. We help homeowners save money and precious water with our quality products.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express
    $20

Painting, plumbing repairs & installation, toilets, fixtures, valves, leak repairs, stucco repair, drywall & texture, carpentry - trim, fascia, roofing repairs & coating, electrical-repairs/installations, evap coolers, bathroom upgrades, door repair & installation, slabs & pre hung, jamb repair & break ins, thresholds & weatherstripping, patio door rollers, pet doors, security doors, pocket door repairs done right, assembly, grab bars, window blinds, handicap accessories & child-proofing

sewer service, rootering.