Ashbusters Chimney Service

Founded 1985 • With Angi since July 2011

Ashbusters Chimney Service of Charleston, SC is a local chimney services company operated by local chimney professionals that have been trained and certified on the principle of fire prevention. It doesn’t take long to come upon the devastation of fire up close and personal and we are determined to do whatever it takes to keep this from happening to our friends, our families and our communities. We understand that all fires are not preventable but we also know that when you do the necessary maintenance, you can rest assured that you have done everything in your power to prevent a fire in your home. The very act of taking action can and will prevent most fireplace and chimney mishaps. Clearance to combustibles is the most common reason home fires occur. It doesn’t matter if it’s in a chimney or a dryer; flammable materials near a heat source combined with oxygen are the perfect mix for disaster. Most homes today will have an electric or gas dryer plus a fireplace or wood stove of some kind. Just picture an open flame in the middle of your house and you might realize how important keeping it in check will be. Since 1985, Ashbusters Chimney Service has serviced over 35,000 chimneys...

A Service Provider's profile image

+8 more images

chimney sweep (223)chimney repair (85)chimney cap repair (30)fireplace services (26)dryer vent cleaning (10)masonry (6)gas fireplace repair (1)

12/29/2020

George K.

Contacted to replace a gas log set they had installed 2 years ago when they charged $250. First they weren’t available for 10 days; second they raised their price to $400! I questioned the woman about the price increase and she made an excuse it was 2 years ago. I called Mount Pleasant Fireplace and Gas who did the job for $250 and 3 days after I called. I understand things are tough and could accept a higher price but a 60% increase is ridiculous.

Description of Work
Gas log set replacement quoted $400

Category gas logs

Work Completed On 12/29/2020

07/11/2018

Mary C.

I was worried that I may need to replace my gas log, but after he inspected and cleaned the gas log system, he had it working like new again. He took pictures of my chimney cap and cover, which confirmed my wish to replace the cap and cover.

Description of Work
Replace rusting Chimney Cap/Cover and perform Gas Log/ Chimney inspections.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, fireplaces

Work Completed On 07/11/2018

12/21/2017

derek B.

Ashbusters scheduled everything and arrived on time and sent me a quote. They wanted to replace my whole chimney cap and quoted me right around $1,200 for this. They took pictures and everything, but I was unable to see anything "wrong" other than the fact the cap/structure was not secured and sealed. I had another person come out and they told me that the cap just needed seated and sealed and there was nothing really wrong with it... Calling Ashbusters back let me talk to the office person who was unable to answer my question as to "why" it needed to be replaced, but that replacing it was what they were offering. Without someone telling me "why" my seemingly perfectly good cap needs to be replaced I cannot recommend anything from them, because it seems they are just saying replace everything at extreme costs to their customers instead of finding less drastic (and cheaper)solutions for their clients. Maybe it does need to be replaced...I don't know...but not having it explained to my as to why, and wanting me to shell out over 1,000 is the problem.

Description of Work
I needed my chimney looked at due to the Chimney cap had come loose and was leaking.

Work Completed On 12/21/2017

09/06/2017

Alberto O.

Clean: could use some improvment. 2nd opinion Inspector asked if they cleaned the flue. I guess it wasn't up to his standards. Inspection/Clean: Way to pricey. $200.00 Estimate of Repairs: Over 7k. 2nd opinion got it done for way much less. Customer Service: Very Polite and Professional. Overall: I think they are very detailed and Professional, but pricing needs to come down.

Description of Work
Clean and Inspection.

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 09/06/2017

03/27/2017

Kelley S.

The fireplace in my new house had not been used in 15 years, so I was afraid to use it until it had been inspected. My tech, JD, was punctual, polite and did a very thorough job. He was a true gentleman. I would definitely use Ashbusters again and recommend them highly.

Description of Work
Fireplace inspection and cleaning

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

Work Completed On 03/27/2017

01/09/2017

Alfred S.

Great job and good ideas for repairs

Description of Work
Chimney flue cleaning

Work Completed On 09/01/2016

01/07/2017

Suzanne S.

They were wonderful! Would highly recommend!

Description of Work
Chimney repair, sweeping, and converting existing wood fireplace to gas logs

Work Completed On 01/07/2017

10/24/2016

Matthew K.

When I was called back, the lady sold me the chimney inspection and cleaning and stated the technician would advise of anything that he saw. The technician apparently only received the instructions to clean and inspect. When they called the day after the service, I complained that their was nothing about the chase. The technician responded after 2 days saying he was not required to get on the roof to inspect the chimney cap and chase that I requested. Their web site states they offer this service. He also said it was too high to get on the chimney and he wasn't prepared to do so. This was in spite of the fact that the roof is accessible from a deck. He took pictures of this and sent them to me. In my opinion, this company was only interested in selling what they want and not what the customer wants. I will never hire them.

Description of Work
Asked for someone to look at chase cover that I knew was in need of replacing.

Work Completed On 10/24/2016

10/19/2016

BRYAN N.

Ashbusters did an excellent job. The office staff and technician were great to work with.

Description of Work
Clean chimney and replace cover/cap

Work Completed On 10/19/2016

09/14/2016

Travis D.

The technician was professional and courteous. He did a great job and explained everything along the way. I would recommend Ashbusters to anyone that needs chimney work done.

Description of Work
Chimney sweep and inspection.

Work Completed On 09/14/2016

08/29/2016

Stephen D B.

The service was not performed. I purchased the deal on 8/17, and was never contacted by the company, as was stated in the deal. I emailed them to try to schedule a time for the service to be performed on 8/23. Today, on 8/29, I contacted Angie's list and cancelled the service. A business should respond to a paying customer within 12 days. Pretty disappointed.

Description of Work
I purchased a deal for $99 sweep on 8/17 through Angie's list, as our chimney needed to be swept and inspected.

Work Completed On 08/29/2016

08/15/2016

Rebecca G.

The owner was on time and very efficient. He had the vent cleaned out quickly. My dryer works perfectly now. Cost was a little more than advertised deal because my dryer was vented on the roof, requiring more time and equipment. I was very pleased with the service.

Description of Work
Dryer vent clean out.

Category dryer vent cleaning

Work Completed On 08/15/2016

07/18/2016

Robert V.

Thorough inspection with solid recommendations on needed repairs.

Description of Work
Home purchase Chimney Sweep and inspection

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

Work Completed On 06/30/2016

05/31/2016

Carlos M.

Ashbusters was perfect for us. We have young children and didn't plan to use our fireplace at the new home we purchased. We were also smelling gas coming from it. Ashbusters was professional, courteous, and above all explained everything they were doing. They gave us a beautiful, clean fireplace, and they shut off the valve that was causing the gas problem. They were everything we were looking for with the coupon we got.

Description of Work
Cleaned our gas log fireplace with a coupon we got on Angie's List

Category chimney repair

Work Completed On 10/01/2015

01/06/2016

mark P.

The serviceman arrived as scheduled and climbed the steep roof to examine the old chimney cap and determine what was needed for replacement. He was very professional in the process. However, the estimate given was for replacement of an aluminum cap with a lifetime guaranteed stainless steel cap at $438. As the need for stainless steel was not deemed by myself to be necessary and the price was much higher than I wished to pay, I declined the service. I remedied the situation myself by an alterante method.

Description of Work
Estimate for replacement of a simple chimney cap that had deteriorated and allowed a squirrel to enter.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 10/01/2015

10/31/2015

Terry A.

I purchased the voucher from Angies List for the service provided. Waited a couple of weeks for the chimney to be swept. John did a nice job. We had purchased the stove, (fireplace insert) from John at Ashbusters a couple of years before. This was an expensive insert. John also repaired our chimney which had water damage. He did a good job on all of that too. We have had him out 2 years in a row to service the stove. Here is the problem: When I purchased the voucher from Angies List, it was very overpriced When I got the invoice e- mailed to me from Ashbusters it was for $99.00 not $170.00. When I called Ashbusters I spoke with Kimberli. I asked her about the difference. She became very unhelpfuland unplesant at that point. As the coversation progressed, and she said "I don't know what to do about it. You bought it from Angies List., call them". Oh my. There is nothing that you can do to asist me? At that point, she blamed a co-worker in Tennessee for any misunderstanding that occured. She is the Office Manager. I suggested that if she wanted repeat business from her customers, the way to get them to come back is to be professional and helpful. Her response; "whatever". When I suggested that I would not be able to do business with them anyone. Her response was "fine". This doesn't have everything to do with money, but just treat your customer like the important entity they are; your customer. John can bust his hump all day, doing an awesome job, but if Kimberli is going to be rude and unprofessional, it is for naught..

Description of Work
Swept our chimney.

Work Completed On 10/29/2015

10/17/2015

Marsha V.

This company came to our home 10/6/15 at 1300 and gave an estimate to repair our chimney $600 for repointing and $400 for waterproofing, a total of $1000. He told my husband it would take 5.5-6 hours to do the work, based on the time estimate my husband left work 2 hours early to be here prior to the anticipated finishing time to inspect the work. Per the invoice the work was to began at 0900 and end at 1530. The same man who gave the estimate came to perform the work. He arrived at 0945 and when I left for an appointment at 1215 he was gone (truck gone, ladders gone). This was 2.5 hours. I asked myself, "Did he go to lunch?" ..."but who sets up ladders for 2.5 hours, then decides to go to lunch and takes down all the ladders and leaves? Why would one go to all the trouble, why would you not bring a lunch or beverage?" He did not ring the bell to say he needed to use the restroom or he was finished, he just left. All repairs I have ever had done, the technician notifies me when arrives and leaves. My spouse left work early specifically and was home at 1330 to meet him and he wasn't here. The job was invoiced as lasting until 1530. My point is this is what they do for a living, when they bid a job they know in advance how many hours it will take. They make their bid which factors in travel time, labor, risk, materials, set up, tear down, how many man hours it will take to do the job. Based on this $166/per hour (labor and material) is reasonable given the work and risk, but $400/per hour is outrageous. Doctors don't make that much. I can not recommend this company.

Description of Work
repointed chimney and waterproofed chimney

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney repair

Work Completed On 10/09/2015

10/08/2015

Jeff L.

It was fine. It was good information. It turned into a selling speech from them for a new chimney cap more than it was the inspection. They did fine. He was responsive and answered my questions. I would probably look up others and make up appointments. I would possibly use them in the future.

Description of Work
I purchased a big deal for Ashbusters Chimney Service.

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair

Work Completed On 10/15/2014

09/08/2015

kathryn E.

Not well since they did NOT PROVIDE THIS SERVICE FOR MY AREA

Description of Work
They did not provide this service in my area so they DID NOTHING!!!! They let me know this immediately but Angie's List keeps sending this review for me to do so I am giving them an A with no knowledge of how their service actually is. I was disappointed in Angie's List however for offering this as a "deal" in my area and then it not able to be done and I had to go through the hassle of getting a refund for the money from Angie's List. I consider this the fault of Angie's List, not Ashbusters. I would not participate in another Angie's List "deal".

Work Completed On 11/01/2014

09/06/2015

Amy S.

Went fine...have nothing to compare it to but he was courteous, on time, protected the floor and hearth, and did a thorough job.

Description of Work
Inspected and cleaned chimney and fireplace

Work Completed On 09/01/2014

07/18/2015

Zenko K.

Chris was professional and quick. He knew exactly what he was doing and explained the process to me. He gave me an estimate to fix the plates on the chimney. After researching online I will most likely go with this service for the repair.

Description of Work
Clean fireplace and chimney. Inspected chimney to make sure it was safe for use. Identified cracks and provided an estimate for repair.

Work Completed On 03/16/2015

06/17/2015

Catherine B.

Very professional and helpful. Would use again.

Description of Work
Came for an initial chimney clean and inspection then hired them to complete some minor reports and install a chimney cap.

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 09/17/2014

05/26/2015

scott B.

Went as planned. Punctual, polite and knowledgable. I would use again if I hadn't switched to a gas fireplace.

Description of Work
Cleaned and inspected chimney