We are taking additional precautions to protect our customers.

American Chimney & Masonry

Founded 1989 • With Angi since August 2005

3614 NE 50th Ave

Portland, OR 97213

Locally owned and operated in Portland, Oregon, we at American Chimney believe we’re the best chimney services company in the Greater Portland-Metro Area. But you don’t have to take our word for it, check out our online customer reviews. We employ certified technicians that know the structure and

10/16/2021

Julie S.

Shawn was fabulous! He was very knowledgeable, honest, prompt, pleasant, quick, gave us very detailed information about our current fireplace and chimney and answered all of our questions regarding upgrading our insert. Also showed us pictures. Additionally, Jenny in the office was very nice, informative and helpful as well. Would highly recommend this company if you're in need of chimney, fireplace work.

Description of Work
Chimney Inspection and advice on options

Category custom cabinets, chimney sweep

04/06/2021

Sue W.

We were told by 2 different gas fireplace companies that there was something blocking the vent. Dennis came out and checked it out. There was no blockage but there was a issue with the fireplace. He fixed it in no time. He was so professional and really worked through the issue to find the problem that I have paid other companies over $800 not to find the problem. I would call him again in a second if it were to go out again. Excellent company and excellent employee!

Description of Work
Gas fireplace did not work.

Category custom cabinets, fireplaces

10/08/2020

LEIGH S.

The company would not give me an estimate on the cost of work unless I purchased a $200 inspection. I explained that I already know what the problem is, and the person I spoke with did not care.

Description of Work
Chimney Brick Replacement

Category masonry, chimney repair

I'm sorry that you feel that the person that you spoke with did not care, but the reality is that we have found most of the time there are additional issues with chimneys and fireplaces that must be addressed to put them into safe working order. It's because we do care that we recommend an inspection be done, and not just address obvious deficiencies or something recommended by another firm. Our technicians are certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America and are trained to inspect to the National Fire Protection Association standards and International Residential Codes. It takes time to conduct a proper inspection and to communicate our findings to homeowners and to provide the appropriate solutions, and for this service we must charge a fee. We will often apply the fee to the work when a proposal is accepted. Our clients usually understand this and have found value in the service we provide as you can see by the many reviews they have left on Angie's List and other online review sites.

02/28/2020

Julie M.

The whole experience/job exceeded my expectations! I requested a out of the box solution for Swifts in my chimney. The solution, a shared chimney. The whole team at American Chimney listened,created a plan and delivered .

Description of Work
Gas insert, chimney repair and Swift habitat

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces, gas logs

02/25/2020

Anne D.

Very smoothly! He also changed our furnace filters for me because I didn't know how! Dennis Childers did a fantastic job. He even improved the look of our fake fireplace!!

Description of Work
Clean our gas fireplace and fix the switch

Category chimney repair, fireplaces

01/26/2020

Marc L.

Scheduling complicated house repairs in stages is always going to be time-consuming and expensive. But everyone at American Chimney was very friendly and helpful, and the professional craftsmen that worked on and inside our home were courteous, clean, as fast as could reasonably be expected, and obviously proud of their careful, artistic work. We're confident that our new chimney and fireplace were properly constructed, and the log set was installed correctly. Plus, it's even more beautiful and fun to use that we expected. Thanks AC!

Description of Work
Chimney and firebox masonry, gas line extension, gas log installation

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces, gas logs

01/20/2020

Karen M.

After the scaffolding was erected, the top ten courses of brick were torn down and rebuilt, with proper flashing, A chimney liner was installed and the smoke chamber built up and parged. A chimney cap was installed, and some tuck pointing done. The guys were careful with the scaffolding and cleanup, and answered all our questions. The work was done promptly. The office could have communicated better, but there was no real problem. And the fireplace is now safe and works fine!

Description of Work
I knew our 116-year-old fireplace chimney needed work, but I didn't know exactly what it needed. Shawn came out and did an inspection first, taking pictures and video 35 feet up. He found loose bricks, missing mortar, gaps in the flashing, and no chimney liner.

Category home inspection, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

01/09/2020

Christine B.

This company is a dream team. The office contact women are a delight to work with and very personable. The guys explained every step and the "why" of it complete with photos and a written explanation. They provided a reminder call before the appointment. They also repaired the chimney at my son's home. Excellent company.

Description of Work
Chimney rebuilt. Two fireboxes repaired.

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

12/20/2019

Doug F.

Outstanding service provided by Jesus and the company team. He fully explained everything in detail. His before and after photos showed the thorough job he did. We've hired American Chimney three times before, for an inspection, a repair and installation of a cap. We highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Chimney inspection and cleaning

Category chimney sweep

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with our company. We are glad that you were happy with the service and we appreciate your choosing American Chimney!

12/17/2019

rozanne J.

Excellent. Jesus did a great job - and showed me pictures of before and after. He went out of his way to get the job done and coordinate with our schedules.

Description of Work
Clean chimney

Category chimney sweep

It's always great to hear that our technicians provide a high level of customer service. Thank you so much for choosing us and for taking the time to share about your experience. We truly appreciate it!

12/09/2019

Amy T.

American Chimney was responsive and informative every step of the process. Their technicians came almost immediately to address a couple of concerns. Everyone was prompt, courteous, and left the work space clean. Highly recommend and will use again myself.

Description of Work
Capped chimney rebuilt fire box and remortared chimney

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

I'm so glad to hear that things went well and that you're happy with how the teamed performed. Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience!

11/13/2019

C P.

Inspection went very well. Shawn explained the results of the inspection thoroughly and answered all of my questions. Will definitely hire again and recommend their company. Liz in the office was also very friendly and helpful when I first contacted the company. The entire experience was great! Professional and friendly, don't find much of that these days. Thank you Liz and Shawn!

Description of Work
Chimney inspection

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

We are very happy that you were satisfied with our service and that you were well taken care of. Thank you so much for the opportunity to service your fireplace and chimney and for sharing your experience with Angie's List members. We really appreciate it!

10/16/2019

Tom L.

Jesus, the inspector, was excellent. Very thorough and explained all of the findings and possible solutions.

Description of Work
Chimney inspection

Category chimney repair

I'm glad you are happy with the service and that our technician was thorough and helpful. This is what we strive for and it's great to know when we succeed. Thank you for choosing American Chimney and for taking the time to share your experience!

06/26/2019

s R.

They were prompt and professional. They did the work we had asked. The work included: small mortar repair, flashing, a small build up of chimney and a sealant of the chimney top. The price was very high. Again, they did a good job but next time; I would get more quotes.

Description of Work
Chimney repair and walkway mortar replaced for two bricks.

Category chimney repair

I'm glad that you are happy with the work that we did, and understand that you want a good value for the services that you pay for. You clearly take pride in your home and are concerned with keeping things up to high standards. I know that we are not cheap, but we do try and provide high quality craftsmanship and excellent customer service. Providing a living wage, health insurance assistance, retirement benefits, paid vacations, and ongoing training certainly increase the cost of how we do business. We are proud of the team we've built and believe that if we take good care of our employees that our employees will take good care of our customers. Thank you for allowing us to work on your home!

06/05/2019

Sonja S.

The estimate process was detailed, thorough and immediate (as in that day). We scheduled but had to cancel, and then reschedule and they got us on the schedule right away. Day of, the crew was friendly, punctual and got right to sealing off the multiple areas of work from dust and brought in special equipment to ventilate the house. Over the two days the crew skillfully removed 2 tons of brick without damage to the surrounding structure (including 1928 moldings) and kept the dust to a minimum. Great crew! Definitely would recommend!

Description of Work
Removed a three story chimney from center of house.

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney repair

I'm glad that you are happy with how the project went. I will share this with our crew and let them know. Thank you so much giving us the opportunity to help you with the project and for taking the time to share your experience. We really do appreciate it!

01/29/2019

b K.

Great. Will use American Chimney again.

Description of Work
Swept chimney, New chimney cap, replaced mortar where it was cracked or missing, replaced rusted out flashing.

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

01/14/2019

kathy P.

Did not have them inspect due to high cost for their initial inspection. No other contractors charged an inspection fee and I needed three for insurance purposes.

Description of Work
Unknown at the time. Leak on inside ceiling where chimny meets the house.

Category home inspection

12/28/2018

Clarence R.

No one has contacted me yet.. I'm still in need of this work. Can you help me with this project?

Description of Work
I need someone to clean my chimney flue and install a flue liner.

Category chimney repair

We can certainly try and help you, but we don't have your contact information. We don't see that you've reached out to us through Angie's List messages and have no record of you contacting us. Please give us a call at (503) 644-0393 and we can discuss your project.

12/06/2018

Joe A.

I've been a customer for many years. We have one wood fireplace, one gas insert, and a wood stove. All were checked and cleaned as needed. Excellent service!

Description of Work
\Chimney Sweep and Inspection

03/24/2018

Tim T.

We had purchased a chimney inspection and cleaning through Angie's List and, when the inspector found that there was no cleaning required, were charged less than we expected and were given a thorough assessment of the state of our fireplace and chimney and an estimate for the necessary repairs. Our chimney needed the crown rebuilt and extensive repairs to the tuck pointing and flashing on the exterior bricks. When time came to do the repairs, I again contacted American Chimney & Masonry as the estimate they had given us proved to be among the best we received and their reputation for quality work and our previous experience tipped the scales in their favor. Shawn did an excellent job of fixing everything that needed to be fixed and, after a long day of work, cleaned up the job site well. The tuck pointing he did is superior to the original, as is the new crown on top of the chimney and the new flashing. They are scheduled pretty far out, but I think that's an indication of the quality of their work - they're quite busy because they're quite good. It may take a bit, but it's worth the wait.

Description of Work
Chimney inspection and cleaning and, later, chimney repairs

Category chimney repair

Thank you for the kind words! We are glad that you are happy with the project, and hope that you will continue to enjoy your fireplace for many years!

03/12/2018

James K.

The price was right, they were able to do and did the work in a professional manner.

Description of Work
chimmney mason work

12/03/2017

Rebecca B.

Work was never done because they wouldn’t even return a phone call.

Description of Work
I called and left a message to have our chimney inspected and cleaned but apparently the job was not important enough to call us back. It says they serve the Vancouver, Washington area but I won’t be calling them back to find out whether that’s true or not.

Category chimney sweep

I can understand your frustration believing that you left a message on our voicemail that wasn't returned. We sometimes will get phone messages left where the caller doesn't leave a phone number or we can't understand the phone number. I asked each of our staff if the name of the customer was familiar and nobody recognized it. I'm sorry that we your call was not returned.

11/27/2017

YAAKOV E.

I had American Chimney & Masonry out on November 1, 2017 to look over my chimney and fireplace. First of all, they charged me $142.45 for an inspection. I've had two other companies do the same inspection for free. The representative from American Chimney took a lot more time and a lot more pictures to give me the same information the other companies did. Secondly, American Chimney submitted a bid of over $4,300 to replace and rebuild the top 12 rows of bricks from the chimney, tuck point the rest of the chimney, do additional masonry work (crown wash and flue tile), replace the counter flashing, apply water repellent, put up scaffolding (to do the upper chimney work), and repair a couple of cracks in the back of the fireplace. Their bid did not include sweeping the chimney. I had two other highly rated companies come out to look at the same chimney. They both said there was no need to rebuild the chimney and that what I needed, for maintenance and safety reasons, was to tuck point the entire chimney, power wash and apply water repellent, and sweep the chimney. That's it. No rebuilding, no additional masonry work, no work on the counter flashing, no need for scaffolding, and the cracks in the back of the fireplace were not significant and represented no hazard. To get my chimney to a safe place, with a ten-year warranty on the work, I'm going to spend less than $900, a far cry from American Chimney & Maintenance's $4,300. As earnest as the representative from American Chimney was, I have to admit I'm concerned that they were trying to oversell me. Needless to say, I did not accept the proposal from American Chimney. I have used this company in the past, for sweeping and to put a cap on the chimney, and their work has been quite good. But their prices are also quite high. It's a large company that carries a lot of overhead. Price-wise, it's not going to be able to compete with a smaller, local company. Their work can be fine (one of the other bidders confirmed that they do good work), but their price will be high. I will use other companies in the future.

Description of Work
I had my chimney inspected to determine what needed to be done to ensure the chimney and fireplace were safe and in good condition.

Category chimney repair, fireplaces

Mr. [Member Name Removed], I am sorry that you were not satisfied with the inspection report that you were given by our technician, and also that you believe he was trying to oversell you. First, yes, we do charge to send out a technician and do a thorough inspection and provide a detailed inspection report with photos. We reviewed the cost of the appointment with you when the appointment was scheduled and you agreed to that. We do not base our fees or our quality of service on what other companies do. All of our technicians are certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America and are trained to diagnose chimney problems and recommend appropriate solutions. After reviewing the photos and report of our technician I'm in agreement with his recommendations. There are loose brick and you can actually see right through some of the mortar joints - this warrants reconstruction. I caution you with regard to the crack in the back wall of your fireplace. We were involved with a situation where just such a crack allowed hot air through that and the crack in the masonry wall directly behind it where there was combustible framing. This caught fire and caused $ 120,000 of damage to the home. We do not brush off these cracks as "not significant". We care about our customers and want them to be well informed about their fireplaces and chimneys so they know what is in satisfactory condition and what needs attention. We are sad to lose you as a customer and would have appreciated the opportunity to address your concerns directly. We wish you the best in the future. Sincerely, Steven R. Pietila General Manager

10/25/2017

LINDA S.

We were told that the chimney didn't need to be cleaned yet. We were given an explanation on how to keep our fireplace in good shape and why nothing needed to be done at that point.. Because no actual work was performed we were given an unsolicited refund. We will be calling this company when our chimney needs help!

Description of Work
Chimney cleaning and repair

10/03/2017

Elizabeth I.

I had several things done. I think the sweep was $200. I think the price was fair.

Description of Work
They came to do my chimney.

Innovation Drywall, LLC

With over 15 years of drywall experience, we are here to offer services in drywall. Contact us today to talk about your project. We look forward to speaking with you.

Euro Masonry LLC

Euro Masonry LLC is a company backed by 10+ years experience. We offer competitive rates and have very excellent references with very satisfied customers. Free estimates. Our work is always high quality, clean, and done in a timely manner. Additional contact name - Kiana Karlovic. Award winning. Additional phone number - (503) 333-0133.

Portland Construction LLC

PORTLAND CONSTRUCTION LLC is a full ser­vice DRYWALL COMPANY and REMODEL with 25 Years Experience Building Nike, INTEL, OHSU, Legacy Hospitals,Providence Hospitals and Schools over the years (Commercial and Residential). We are de­voted to ful­fill­ing the needs of our lo­cal clients. Our goal is to cre­ate a level of trust with our cus­tomers, so that they are com­fort­able know­ing that our pric­ing struc­ture will be money well spent on their dry­wall projects. It’s im­por­tant for us to dif­fer­en­ti­ate our­selves from fly-by-night con­trac­tors and de­serve the rep­u­ta­tion in the com­mu­nity. Portland Construction is here to bring a fair bid to acomplish our Quality. If u need a free Estimate call us: ‭(971) 732-6475‬ CCB# 217861 Chuy Pay with Crypto and get 10% off: Bitcoin Ethereum Cardano Dogecoin

2022 Super Service Award

Oregon
    Construction Contractors Board
    08/23/2021
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, Financing Available, Discover, American Express

Chimney sweeps, Chimney sweeping, Chimney cleaning, chimney inspection, chimney repair & restoration, chimney caps & dampers, chimney liner system installation, dryer vent cleaning, wood & gas stove sales & installation, fireplace repair, fireplace installation, Gas log installation, Gas fireplaces, Gas appliances service, Wood burning fireplace, Wood burning stoves, Outdoor fireplaces, Fireplace waterproofing