B & L CONTRACTING

Founded 1996 • With Angi since March 2006

4445 GARY WAY

Hilliard, OH 43026

5 EMPLOYEES. USES SUBS. COST IS DETERMINED BY THE JOB. NO TRAVEL CHARGES. NO AFTER HOUR CHARGES.

04/25/2008

Brian M.

Hired Brent and Larry as my contractors in June 2007. Down payment was made and job was supposed to be complete by November 2007. My current office lease expired on 10/31/07. Come November, the project was nowhere near completion. There was no siding on the house, no drywall, no insulation, etc. I had no problem with the project running a couple months over, as we were held up for a period of time waiting on windows, but there was no reason that the project should not have been completed by the new year. My electrician informed me that his father had done work for B&L in the past and warned me that I would be lucky to get him to show up on a regular basis at all. Come December, I began to grow frustrated, as the Dr Neither Brent or his father were showing to the site, so I tracked them down at a local bar/restaurant. Brent informed me that he was "embarrassed" that he couldn't get anyone over to the site to work and that he couldn't hang siding b/c his father would not work out in the cold. He informed me that he had "bitten off more than he could chew". I ended up helping him hang the siding with him so that we could get it done by the 1st of the year. In December, Brent had me meet with the drywall subcontractor and pay the drywall sub directly so that I could be "assured" that the work would be done. He also told me to find my own concrete sub. Looking back, I should have realized that Brent and his father must have already had money problems since they were having me pay their subs directly. I had paid Brent and his father $87,000 to this point. He told me that he was going to have me pay all subs directly from that point on until we reached our contract amount of $104,500. I paid subs directly until I hit appx $120,000. I had opted for appx 12-13k in extras throughout the course of the process, so 104.5K + 13K = 117.5K. After 120K paid out, I informed Brent that I had more than satisfied my portion of the contract. I never saw Brent or Larry at the site again. In march, I retained an attorney and had him send B&L a demand letter indicating that work must be completed and a certificate of occupancy must be obtained by April 1, 2008 (original move-in date was 11/1/07). My lease had expired at my current business location and I was paying 1.5-2x rent to go month to month. When Brent received the demand letter, he refused to speak with me. At that point, I contacted the city to make sure permits and inspections were up to date. It was at this point that the city informed me that there had never been a rough plumbing inspection performed, hence they failed the structural inspection b/c the mechanical trades had not yet been signed off on. They also informed me that there had never been a foundation inspection, slab inspection, framing, inspection, or insulation inspection. I currently own a very expensive box that cannot be used for residential or commercial use. Litigation is pending estimates to remedy the situation.

Description of Work
Brent and Larry were hired as general contractors to build a 25x25 addition to an existing ranch that was being converted from a residence to commercial office space. The project also involved pouring the existing garage, framing it in, and converting it to usable area. Project also involved replacing existing furnace, addition of new furnace, addition of 2 AC units, as well as remodeling a portion of the existing residence. Contract was based on prints that contract amt. = $104,500; $87,000 was paid directly to Brent and Larry before they had me begin paying their subcontractors directly (obviously they had $ problems). Once I had paid $120K, I informed Brent that I had more than satisfied my end of the contract. He informed me that it was going to take an additional 16-20K to have them finish the project. From that point on, Brent and Larry refused to show to the site even though items listed below had never been completed. I also began to get collection calls from subs that they had used throughout the project as well. 1. No slab insulation was ever installed on north or south walls of the poured garage. Foundation will have to be exposed, insulation installed, and re-backfilled in front and back. 2. No drain tile ever installed under new addition. Foundation will have to be exposed on 3 sides of addition and drain tile must be installed. 3. No plumbing, framing, foundation, slab, or insulation inspections were ever obtained by B&L prior to drywall being installed and painted as well as all electric fixtures installed. We are in the process of tearing out drywall and insulation now to hopefully pass city inspections. 4. Insulation company passed on a $3700.00 bill supposedly paid by B & L to me directly. 5. Heating and cooling contractors refused to show to complete the job b/c Brent never paid them in full. 6. Exterior decorative stone never completed. 7. Door casing and trim was never purchased or installed. 8. Tile work, 550 sq. ft. of tile was never purchased or installed. 9. Carpet was never purchased or installed. 10. Siding/windows/trim were never caulked. 11. Mechanical room door was never purchased or installed. 12. Side exit deck/egress area/stairs/footers was never built. 13. Countertops were never purchased or installed. 14. Exterior and interior door hardware (pull plate + push bar + sweep + weather stripping) never purchased or installed. 15. Bathroom Hardware/Toilet/Sink/hand bar/faucet, etc. never purchased or installed. 6. Two AC units/condensers, freon lines, conc pads, 3 supply and return runs were never purchased or installed 17. Siding/trim above exterior doors needs repaired + roof and window drip edge never installed 18. Crawlspace access needed to be widened to 3' 19. Window sills were never purchased or installed. 20. Service sink never installed in basement, furnace drain run to ejector pit, and ejector pit operational. 21. No registers or vent covers were ever installed, + more!

Category concrete repair, remodeling

03/06/2006

DAVID S.

Overall a great experience. They finished the job in 6 weeks. They only used one sub (drywall). Larry and Brent compliment each other well, Larry does electrical work, Brent does carpentry work. They provided good service and tremendous quality.

Description of Work
Larry and Brent updated my family room by removing old paneling, installed new outlets, installed all new wood trim around room/windows, can lighting, new exterior door, built new banister, handrail. They finished the basement with drywall, installed can lighting, built 13 ft closet with shelves. Installed new fixtures in 1/2 bathroom. Installed ceramic tile.

Category remodeling

KNL Construction

We specialize in all phases of remodeling for your home, business, bathrooms, kitchens, finishing basements, and more! We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Check out all the services we offer below and call -or- click to schedule a free estimate today!

The Rooter Works Plumbing and Drains

Here at The Rooter Works, we strive to abide by our mission statement "quality plumbing, at a fair price". Wether you have a leaky faucet, clogged drain or plumbing nightmare. The Rooter Works Plumbing and Drains is your one stop plumbing shop!

The Eco Plumbers & Drains

Whatever the task, large or small, our focus at The Eco Plumbers is on sustainability and craftsmanship in both materials and installation. Our goal is to help you explore your options, so that you can balance functionality, environmental friendliness, and price for your project. No matter what you decide, we'll employ our knowledge and experience to better suit you, your wallet and our environment. We are committed to prompt, professional and on-time service! For efficiency and quality, go with the local company that thinks globally. For more information visit: ecoplumbers.com

2022 Super Service Award

Offers by The Eco Plumbers & Drains on Angi

COMPLETE CONTRACTING. KITCHEN & BATH REMODELING. PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL.