Animal Control Specialists LLC

Founded 2007 • With Angi since October 2013

599 Highland Park Dr

Akron, OH 44319

Squirrels in your attic? Raccoons in your chimney or trash? Groundhogs or moles digging up your yard? Bats in your belfry? My name is Rob Winters and I am the owner of Animal Control Specialists, LLC. I have over 20 years experience handling nuisance wildlife situations, and close to 30 years

10/07/2022

Kevin W.

This company apparently merged with Plunkett's Pest Control. Their quote was multiple times as much as competitor quotes. I would not hire them, way too expensive.

Description of Work
Bat removal

Category animal removal

Hi [Member Name Removed], this is Rob, the owner of the original company, and now supervisor with Plunkett’s/ Varment Guard. I can assure you that the price points with the new company are actually less than with the old company. I urge you to be careful when dealing with bats- many companies offer bat services, but they are a very niche creature, requiring much training, knowledge and attention to detail. The “cheap” companies will give you what you pay for. Also, the price you mentioned also included an attic remediation. Our exclusion only price was $4,200. I would be more than happy to look over your quote with you, and even come out at no charge if you would like to contact me directly.

11/09/2021

Mark M.

Very friendly, courteous team. They explained everything clearly and were very thorough. They had to go up to the Attic through the the bedroom closet. I covered one side of the closet clothing with plastic. I received a call from that tech indicating that he was done but that the plastic came off and he didn't want to come down until the clothes were covered again. Very considerate and customer focused. Very happy with their work and with the two that came to inspect and resolve my issue. A week later and no issues or noises.

Description of Work
Mice in Attic, noise in wall

Category pest control

[Member Name Removed] thank you very much for your review. It makes my day to see 1) happy clients, and 2) to know that my team is going above and beyond as I always hope that they will. Thank you again for your business!! Rob Winters- President

06/24/2021

lori M.

I found a dead bat in my attic one day and the exterminator I was using for mice did not take care of bats. I found this company on Angies list and called. They came out right away, looked around and thought this was an isolated incident. Few weeks later a raccoon decided to take up residence in my chimney and they came right out, put a trap up with cameras. Raccoon was caught and they covered the caps with wire mesh until a custom cover could be made. Customer service was great, they were reasonable with recommendations and even sent me video of the raccoon in the chimney. Would definitely call again.

Description of Work
found a dead bat and then had a raccoon in my chimney

Category pest control, animal removal

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It was a pleasure working with you, and while I hope you never need us again, we’re here if you do!

01/24/2019

Patricia V.

They came out to try and get rid of the critters running around my attic. I would work with this company again. They were good, and really nice.

Description of Work
Animal Control Specialists LLC came out the first time in May and set a trap. I would check it every day, but nothing was caught. They put some pads on my roof where they though the animals were getting in.

Category pest control

09/11/2018

Molly L.

The owner, Rob, was very responsive when I called. He sent Matt and Dylan to work with me. They were wonderful. My chipmunk was pesky and refused to be caught, but Matt was determined. I would highly recommend Animal Control Specialists. I never like the idea of trapping an animal, but if necessary, I will call them again.

Description of Work
I had a chipmunk that was burrowing under my brick patio, and causing it to collapse.

Category animal removal

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to give us a wonderful review [Member Name Removed]! Yes, we never take offense when clients tell us they hope to never see us again:) It was a pleasure working with you! Have a great day! Rob

12/28/2017

Patricia J.

Excellent work. Rob was very professional. He took pictures of the attic to show us the droppings, nest etc.. and explained what methods he would use to rid us of the mice that were inhabiting the space. He was very thorough, walking around the exterior of the house to identify where the mice were getting in and advising us on how and when to block the entrance (after the mice left). The mice are gone and we will definitely call Animal Control Specialists again should we ever have problems with unwanted wildlife again! Definitely recommend this company!

Description of Work
We heard scuttling noises in the attic and needed someone to identify and expel whatever was up there.

Category animal removal

Thank you for the great review! It was a pleasure working with you, and I'm glad we were able to solve your problem quickly. Happy New Year and may your 2018 be blesssed! Rob

10/22/2017

Dipak N.

Went quite well however not all gophers were removed at the first attempt. We were advised of this when we hired them A few gophers returned and we had to call them back for a second time. They did charge a lower amount for 2nd call. This is the only reason I gave them a B rating on price, however they were honest about expectations

Description of Work
Remove yard pests, gophers from our yard

Category animal removal

Thank you for the great review! And yes, when dealing with chipmunks it can be tricky to eliminate the entire population in an outdoor setting, but I appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to serving you again if more should move in. But hopefully not! :)

10/14/2017

thomas E.

Rob was relentless in getting them all out although it was definitely not an easy job!! He figured out they had more than one point of entry but was able to find each one and finish the job by sealing everything up. They were incredibly humane to the flying squirrels and truly a joy to have over each day. I think it's a rarity when you can look forward to having pest control guys visit! :-) Both Rob and Matt are amazing guys and I will definitely be calling them again if we have other nuisance animals!! If you want honest, hard working, caring guys, look no further!

Description of Work
We had flying squirrels that had taken up residence in our roof and needed to be removed. I called Rob and he came out very quickly. He gave me an estimate of how much it would be before he started the work so I would know what we were dealing with.

Category animal removal

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We will be missing our daily visits and watching the dog wait for the squirrels to come down off the roof! Haha It was a pleasure working with you!

10/11/2017

James S.

Rob was excellent from start to finish. I just missed him by minutes one day and he turned around and came back to talk with me about the issue and to show me what he had done. He walked through the basement with me to show possible entries as well as areas outside to watch. He was patient and took his time and i never felt like he was rushing. Excellent all around. He also sent many pictures showing me the areas of concern

Description of Work
Inspected the house from the outside and in the basement to determine where shrews were getting in.

Category animal removal

Thank you for taking the time to do a review. It was a pleasure working with you!

09/21/2017

Bob S.

Rob came out and performed a thorough assessment. He climbed the roof, and checked out the attic for animal access points. He provided me with useful feedback and possible mitigations. However, he did advise me that due to the proximity of his business to my location (almost an hour away), he did not feel he could provide me with the level of service that was required to eradicate the problem. He then went the extra mile and located a provider closer to my home and set me up to have the necessary service performed. He charged me nothing. All I can say is that if you are looking for a reliable, honest, and knowledgeable person who can fix your varmint problem he is the man to call, hands down.

Description of Work
I have ongoing issues with squirrels and mice in the attic.

Category pest control, animal removal

Thank you very much for the great review [Member Name Removed]. I really wish you lived closer, but I'm sure Ron will take good care of you. If it wasn't for those "Red Devils" (AKA Red squirrels/Pine squirrels) we probably could have made it work. But they always end up taking a lot of trips. Keep me posted how it goes!

09/13/2017

LaQuita T.

They were conscientious and saved us money by suggesting they "treat" only our chimney because the bats appeared to be confined to that area. It would have been easy for them to sell us a more expensive treatment, but they chose to pursue this option. Rob said if we found bats in any other areas, they could come back then. We had a couple questions, which Rob answered in a timely and efficient manner.

Description of Work
Rob and Matt removed bats from our chimney - lots of bats!

Category animal removal

Thank you very much for the wonderful review! It was great meeting and working with you both. Enjoy this beautiful weather!

07/01/2017

Karen C.

After a number of years of having squirrels getting into our garage and nesting there for the winter, we’d had enough. (There’s nothing like hearing squirrels scratching on the outside of your bedroom wall when you’re trying to go to sleep! They also were incredibly destructive, shredding boxes and chewing on several things in the garage, including the phone wiring.) We’d had another company come out before that caught some squirrels, but they didn’t get them all and never repaired the holes where the squirrels were getting in. Every time we patched the holes, new squirrels would come along later and chew new holes. So in November 2016, with winter approaching, we knew we needed to do something to keep from having another winter squirrel invasion. After reading the reviews on Angie’s List, I decided to call Rob Winters of Animal Control Specialists. We didn’t want to harm the squirrels; we just wanted them relocated, and wanted them to stay out! Rob definitely knows what he’s doing — he can design a cage set-up for wherever the critters are getting in, and makes sure to set it up so that the squirrels have to go into the cage to go anywhere. This year we not only had them on the garage side of the house, but they were getting under the eaves on the opposite side as well, and — after some trial and error on the one side — Rob was able to capture a total of five squirrels that had already set up housekeeping for the upcoming winter season. Rob came out promptly whenever I called to say there was something in the trap, and treated them kindly, taking them far away where they could live in the woods (and not in my house!). Once we ascertained that all of the squirrels had been removed, he patched up the holes that they had created (as well as patching a couple areas where birds had nested in the spring) and made sure that there was nowhere else for them to get in. While eventually we’ll want to do a more permanent rebuilding of the areas that were damaged, the patches that were done blend in well and were very effective at preventing any additional visitors. We managed to get through the winter and the spring without any more unwanted guests! I purposely waited to write this review until I knew that it really worked. I was very happy with the work that Rob did for us, and would definitely hire him again if needed. (Though I’m hoping we don’t have to!) If you want someone who can effectively and humanely remove critters from your home, and who sticks with the job until it’s finished, he can definitely do the job for you. I would highly recommend him!

Description of Work
We had squirrels living in our garage and under the eaves of the house.

01/08/2017

Eve D.

I called Rob and he came out right away to scout the situation and talk with me about possible solutions. He was thorough and professional and offered options in a variety of price ranges for me to choose from. Turns out I had a large female groundhog residing under there and they can be quite elusive. In the process of catching her, Rob also caught a couple of skunks. Am extremely happy with how everything worked out. The house backs up against a nature preserve/park so I have enough wild-life to keep Rob busy probably once or twice a year. I plan to call him in the Spring to figure out a way to prevent animals from accessing the cozy area under the deck.

Description of Work
I had a wild animal living under my deck snugged up close to my dryer vent. The musty animal smell was permeating into the house and I needed help!

Category pest control, animal removal

Thank you so much for the wonderful review [Member Name Removed]! It was a pleasure meeting and working with you and I look forward to any future endeavors:) Rob

11/07/2016

Thomas S.

Excellent, arrived promptly, professional, infromative. Have recommended them to our neighbors.

Description of Work
Needed rodent control and spider elimination. Did an excellent job and returned at not cost when we need help dealing with the aftermath of rodent extermination.

Category pest control, animal removal

[Member Name Removed], Thank you for the review! I haven't been getting notification of new reviews so I apologize that I'm just seeing this. Thank you for your business! Rob

10/17/2016

Diana W.

Had a critter in the walls for a few weeks that finally made an appearance in my kitchen one morning! Called Rob and he was able to come out same day and find the rat nesting in my kitchen linens. Thanks so much for prompt service and solving the problem. Would definitely recommend his services.

Description of Work
Rodent capture and removal

Category pest control, animal removal

Thank you for your review [Member Name Removed]! I apologize I'm just now seeing this. It was a pleasure working with you, I'm glad we were able to quickly solve the problem! Rob

02/02/2016

mary c S.

We discovered that a squirrel had fallen down the chimney and invaded our parlor area at 8 in the morning Sunday morning. We began calling everyone listed on Angie's list who looked like they might be able to help. Most were not available when we called. Rob returned our call and arranged to get to our house within an hour and a half of our original call to him. He had a heat seeking device to locate the squirrel which he captured, without causing further damage to our house, within about 15 minutes of his arrival. He took the squirrel with him for release near his home. Rob was courteous and helpful. Most of all, he came quickly. His price seemed to be equivalent to that of other people who later responded. We would certainly use him again, but we hope we won't have to.

Description of Work
Rob got rid of the unwelcome squirrel in our parlor.

Category animal removal

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! It was a pleasure meeting and working for you guys! Sincerely, Rob Winters

11/12/2015

Jeff R.

10/27/2015

william C.

Description of Work
I called ACS because I thought there were squirrels in the attic. ACS first walked around the outside with binoculars looking for potential access points. He then looked through the attic without observing any signs of squirrels but set a trap anyway. I checked the trap daily for three days without observing any trapped animals. |ACS called me daily to remind me to check the trap. ACS said the noise and hole were made by mice and gave me some ideas on how to control mice. He did say that it would be a never ending process in controlling the mice. |I was very satisfied with ACS.

08/05/2015

Chris S.

Very polite, professional, and informative aheadof time and at the time of service.

Description of Work
Service call for unknown smell coming from attic. Inspected attic, removed dead mouse, disinfected/deodorized, six month mouse protection program.

Category animal removal

Thank you very much [removed member's name] it was a pleasure working with you!

05/08/2015

George B.

Rob did an excellent job. He is very professional, courteous, and treats your home as thought it was his home. He pointed out a hornet nest in a bath fan exit and removed it so they would not come back and use it again. He responds quickly to the initial job and to a request for follow up because I saw what i thought was fresh bat guano. It turned to be old droppings that had fallen from above. He repeatedly told me for what it cost me he was more than willing to do follow-up.. He gives a two year guarantee on his work. Definitely recommend him and would use again.

Description of Work
Sealed all potential entry point for bats into my attic. Installed bat cones at three entry/exit points to allow the bats out but not be able to re-enter. Once 14 days past he removed the bat cones and sealed those points.

02/20/2015

John B.

Rob did an excellent job in helping us deal with our "squirrel issue." More than responsive, he was proactive and showed concern for all aspects of our problem. He went way beyond expectations to serve our unique situation, was easy to work with, and in general was a pleasure to get to know. I have every confidence that the animals he removed were treated humanely as well. I recommend him without hesitation. I can't say I look forward to working with him again (I hope we don't have any more problems!), but if I have to have another animal removed, I have no doubt whom I'll call.

Description of Work
Set traps and removed three squirrels, then closed up entry point where squirrels had gotten into walls.

Category animal removal

[removed memebr name], Thank you very much for the wonderful review. It was a pleasure working with you! I hope you never need me again either, but if you do I'll be ready to go:)

08/17/2014

Eric S.

The bird vent screens are guaranteed for 5 years, and based on their construction this guarantee looks good. Also, the yellow jackets are gone! The yellow jacket activity stopped within about 4 hours after the nest opening was treated - all quiet now! The yellow jacket extermination is a new service offered by Animal Control Specialists. They did a great job with both problems. It is also very convenient to call one business who can handle both types of problems. Rob and his Dad worked together to make timely progress on each problem. They were prompt, courteous and professional. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Removed old bird nest from attic, re-sealed bathroom fan flexible duct exhaust tube with duct tape as it was not badly damaged. Removed old bird nest from first floor bathroom fan exhaust tube. Installed vent screens on 3 exhaust fan outlets to prevent birds from entering all bathroom exhaust vents in the future. Also sprayed a yellow jacket nest located in a cement hole just under the front porch cement pad where it joins a cement wall.

Category animal removal

Thank you for the wonderful review! I'm glad to hear that the yellow jackets are gone. It was a pleasure to meet you & work with you. Hopefully you won't need me in the future, but if you do I'll be here ready to help! Rob

07/22/2014

David S.

Rob returned call within 1/2 hour he was here on time and is very professional and polite. He explained what he could do and how the treatments would work. The plan is follow-up in a week or sooner if needed. The follow-up is included in the treatment.

Description of Work
Mouse treatment for house and raccoon inspection under deck.

05/30/2014

Marie G.

I called Rob because my dog kept nosing around an area of my deck, and after flashing a light through the decking, saw an opossum looking back. Rob responded to my voicemail in about 15 minutes, and made arrangements to come to my home within the hour. Rob appeared promptly, and after assessing the situation, found there were also baby possums along with the mother. He suggested taking up a board from the deck (about 20 feet long), and directly removing the animals saying that if he set traps, the Mother might be trapped, but we'd have no idea if any babies were left behind. Rob worked for a good long time to get the deck board removed without damaging it, and finally pulled the planking back so he could reach the opossums. He quickly snared the animal and put it in a trap, finding 4 baby possums in addition. He also pulled out a huge amount of nesting material, and checked for any more baby opossums that might be left behind. Finding none, Rob replaced the decking, nailing it down once again, with no harm done to the deck. It looked good as new when he was finished. Overall, he provided excellent service. He was knowledgeable of animals, and extremely informative. Rob has a great personality; friendly, easy to work with, and was very professional. I would highly recommend him if you have a critter problem. His service was impeccable!

Description of Work
Removal of opossums from under deck

Category animal removal

Thank you for the wonderful review [member name removed]! It was a pleasure working with you as well & I'm glad we were able to get your problem handled promptly! My son says thank you for the tip you gave him & the ice cream he got with it. That was very kind of you & it really made him proud that he helped & earned money:)

04/26/2014

Sharon F.

Rob is great. Not only did he find and remove the squirrel quickly, but he offered to come back another time if there was any doubt on our part that other squirrels might be in the house. He is very professional, kind, and understanding. I would trust him 100% and call again to escort any unwanted critters out!

Description of Work
Rob found and removed a squirrel in the house.