H V Deck & Wall

Founded 1997 • With Angi since January 2011

4.1

18 Shadow Ln

Hopewell Junction, NY 12533

No of employees:3. Ask for Angie's List Discount.

06/07/2014

Dean G.

The job had a good result with the exception that they didn't prime the baseboard. But it took three days with two workers and cost a lot more than I expected. I wish they had disclosed the likely cost before they started the work.

Description of Work
They removed the wallpaper, skim-coated the cracks to level them, and primed the wall.

Category wallpaper, woodworking, interior painters

05/01/2014

Robert G.

The work was done professionally and free of glitches.

Description of Work
Removed all the wallpaper from two bathrooms and prepped them for painting

04/23/2014

NICHOLAS D.

The work was done fine, except there was an advertised price and then when the gentleman was ready to leave, he said it was higher than the advertised price. It was like a one room deal type thing. But, the work was done very nicely. The owner of the company didn't do the work, he had someone younger do the work and the person that did it worked very hard. He got right back and was on time. The guy who did the work was very nice and polite.

Description of Work
I used the "Big Deal" that I purchased for the services of H V Deck & Wall. It was for 8 hours of wallpaper removal and wall preparation.

03/14/2014

David S.

I wasn't entirely satisfied with the experience because the cleaners weren't thorough in their work, and I had to direct them to make sure certain tasks were done. Aside from this, the scheduling was easy, and they arrived on time for the job.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for them to clean my house before I sold it.

02/14/2014

Robert M.

It worked out fine. It was pretty much what I expected. The price was good.

Description of Work
We had purchased a big deal for H V Deck & Wall. They did bathroom remodeling and repairs. They did wall work in the bathroom.

Category drywall

12/18/2013

Elaine A.

I used 2 coupons paint and paper removal, but expanded the work for more painting and paid extra money. I got a written estimate in advance and I confirmed that he took credit cards before going ahead with the work. He never, and I mean never, mentioned that he was going to charge interest for using the credit card until the work was done and it was time to pay. He insisted he told me, but I know that he didn't. I know that I had to pay for the paint, but what surprised me was that I could get it at a cheaper price than he was going to charge me and that was for Ben Moore. So I told him where to buy it locally and I paid him back. I had to provide tape and plastic covering for furniture and other such things and that bothered me. The men that did the work were very friendly and did their best but they were pushed for time and had other limitations while their boss sat in my driveway with his engine running for hours to keep warm as he chain smoked. I probably got what I paid for but not worth it because I did not care for the experience and would have liked to pay a little more and gotten a better job and less issues.

Description of Work
remove paper and paint

10/21/2013

Georgina T.

Two painters - one arrived well after 10:00 am. They both left early and I had to pay for them to come back on Saturday for two hours and complete the job. My sense is that they could have completed the job in one day, but wanted to get some extra money. The quality is fine - but I didn't like the experience.

Description of Work
Painted Bathroom and one wall in bedroom

10/07/2013

JOE C.

it went very well they were on time and gave good value.

Description of Work
painting and repairs

08/05/2013

Julie C.

The only reason why I didn't want to rate this business is because I had a horrible experience with them. I paid for 8 hrs and I had 2 rooms that needed painting - one big and one small room. When the guy got here he said both rooms could not be finished in 8 hrs and charged me a price that I thought was ridiculous. I told him to just paint the big room and forget the small room and he told me he couldn't paint that in 8 hrs either. I was horrified, thank goodness my interior decorator friend was around and she told him she had painted a similar size room in way less than the 8 hrs. He didn't wanna do the job is what it pretty much sounded like. So my friend and I told him to paint and he could stop whenever the 8 hours were up, and he said it would probably be just 1 coat and we told him that was fine. Long story short he ended up painting the whole room in about 6 hours!!! I was just p***** off because he wanted to rip me off. He went on to say that he doesn't really get much from Angie's list. Would never recommend him to even my worst enemy!!!!!

Description of Work
Paint

04/25/2013

Lauren D.

The workers were excellent - on time and they did excellent work. The quality was just what I was looking for and I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
They removed wallpaper in 2 rooms and painted. They did a great job.

04/15/2013

Clare O.

Great attention to detail, fast, neat and thorough!

Description of Work
Cleaning of a two floor residence, 21/2 baths.

03/05/2013

Robert M.

The two ladies who performed the housecleaning arrived on schedule and were pleasant and professional. They responded well to instructions/requests and worked efficiently.

Description of Work
The service was for general housecleaning.

03/01/2013

David M.

We purchased a Big Deal, but had to delay scheduling. However, they were willing to work with us on that. But not only did they not show up for our appointment, they aren’t even answering the phone any more. I doubt that they’re even in business.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for a housecleaner for a day for $99.

12/21/2012

Rick S.

The house felt much much better after the women cleaned than it did before. It was very dirty -- not much in the way of furniture, rugs, lamps etc to clean, but an accumulation of dust, dog hair, and dirt. Surfaces, windows, and floors hadn't been cleaned well for months. There was some clutter too. The women were very nice and worked for three solid hours. I think i got my money's worth, and the areas they addressed felt great. I am not familiar with how fast cleaners work, so this may be unfair to say, but I was hoping that they would be able to make a decent pass through both the first and second floors. They made it clear when they arrived that they would do what they could, which turned out to be the three large first floor rooms, a connecting area between them, the kitchen and bath, and the stairway to the second floor. They swept and mopped the floors, cleaned windows, straightened clutter, dusted and wiped the furniture, and cleaned the kitchen and bath. Their work was very helpful and professional. The women called beforehand to confirm my address, arrived and left when they said they would, brought their own cleaning supplies, were personable and communicated well.

Description of Work
i got a Groupon coupon for $100 for a full housecleaner day. the coupon said it was half off their normal rates. Two women worked from 9:30 to 12:30 -- 6 hours total.

12/17/2012

Nicole C.

I purchased a coupon on 11//02/12 for Housecleaning for 6 hours for $99, which expires on 03/02/13. On 11/05 or 06/12, I don't remember the exact day, but that it was within a few days of purchase), someone called me to setup an appointment. I said I wasn't ready. That I would call when I needed the service. I have been calling three different telephone numbers since 12/13/12 with no response of any kind from anyone in the company. 845-345-4691 rings and finally goes to Magic Jack answering machine. 914-573-4474 rings till message saying"nobody is available to take your call". 914-489-5287 is disconnected. I have sent emails. There has been no response from anyone, telephone or emails. This is frustrating. I have a very strong feeling I am not going to get what I paid for....

Description of Work
No services have been performed.

12/10/2012

Beatrice M.

The owner showed up with 2 workers, after having come by to look over the project. The owner did not do any of the work, but did come in from time to time to check on the progress. Both men started work on the bathroom. I checked in on the bathroom after about 2 hours and at that point, nearly 75% of the wall paper was already taken down, yet somehow It took the two men an entire day - 8 hours, to remove all the wall paper from the one bathroom and to patch up the walls with putty, at which point I was informed that they would need to leave it overnight to dry, so they could sand it down and apply primer the next day.I realized that since the deal was for 4 hours per worker, I was already owing for another 8 hours of labor, and the job was only half done.! Long story short, they arrived the next day and told me that the filler hadn't dried enough on the bathroom and needed more patching in areas. While one guy worked on that, the other one scraped the walls of the playroom, but then just painted primer over a lot of the stickers that were hard to remove, and left many spots untouched. The upstairs was still not even sanded, and the floors and bathtub were very dirty with chipped off paper etc. The owner said that they would need to come back a 3rd day to complete the job!! This was ridiculous, as I have had a much larger room, 4 times the size of that bathroom, stripped of wall paper by one guy in one day! I told them thanks but no thanks, and to please leave before they charged me any more money. And what I had failed to see in the small print was that any additional hours beyond the first 8 (which was 4 hours, since there were 2 guys) was being charged at $40 per man per hour, so $80/hour for that additional day and a half! So my wonderful $199 for 8 hours deal turned out to be $960 for a day and a half of slow and messy work, with the job left unfinished (my call) and my house reeking of cigarette smoke from the owner (who never smoked inside my house, but smelled so strongly of cigarettes that it left that pungent smell when he left). I was very unhappy with this experience.

Description of Work
I had purchased a Big Deal from Angie's list for 8 hours of Wall Paper Removal and wall preparation service for $199. I needed wall paper removed and the walls prepped for painting on a medium sized bathroom, plus, if there was time, to have some old stickers/wall decals removed from the playroom walls and those walls prepped for painting.

12/04/2012

Ellen R.

I was very impressed with their professionalism. I had purchased the "Big Deal" and shortly thereafter the owner of the company fell ill. The workers took it upon themselves to keep everything going and stay in contact since there was a delay in the communication due to the illness. The day before they came they called to tell us they might be a half hour later than the agreed on time. They were really on top of things the whole time. They did a fine job and were a pleasure to have in the house.

Description of Work
Two professionals from H V Deck and Wall came to do some general housecleaning. Their address is 18 Shadow Lane Hopewell Junction, NY 12533.They were fast, efficient, polite, and thorough. I would highly recommend them. They cleaned two bathrooms and dusted and vacuumed the other rooms in the house.

12/03/2012

Magalis V.

The job went well i. Think if they had more time they would have been able to do a better job of preping for paint

Description of Work
Removed wallpaper and prep walls for painting

12/03/2012

Yvonne V.

It didn't for reasons stated above

Description of Work
I would love to give a good review b/c my first experience w/ this company was great. Professional, timely, curteous when coming out to assess the project in late october and and schedule the work for today. I waited an hour before calling to find out where they were, thinking possibly running late. Than I called the mobile number listed, which is no longer in service or disconnected according to Verizon. The other number listed goes to generic voicemail but in the 6 times I called it and 2 messages I left on it, noone has called back. As well I sent emails and submitted forms through their website hoping that would generate a response. Not a single person bothered to call/email/text me back providing at the very least a common courtesy that they were not coming or needed to reschedule. I am extremely disappointed and understand that other projects may run longer or things happen, but what is inexcusable here is the inability to get ahold of anyone and the complete lack of regard for the customer's time. Glad I wasted a day of my time in efforts to connect. There is no response the vendor could give b/c maybe that half phone number that did a half ring was their magic jack number (trying here to give the benefit of the doubt) but to get a number on your call log by doing a half ring does not constitute an adequate response of any kind. I can not in good faith recommend this company even if their work would have been impeccable. This has been a giant waste of my time and sets me behind schedule now.

11/30/2012

SHEILA D.

Beware of Big Deals - I purchased a big deal from Angie's List for 8 hours of wallpaper removal and wall preparation (or 4 hours for 2 men). There was a misunderstanding from Lisbon, the owner, regarding what services were to be done under the terms of the deal. He felt it was to be charged by the square foot, which ended up being $352!! Not only that, but his workers were here only 2-1/2 hours. The condition the walls were left in was not ready for paint. I will have to sand them down until the end of time to get them smooth enough for paint. Really an unprofessional job. Plus, they tracked all kinds of a mess through my kitchen, scratching the laminate floors. I had to complain to Angie's List persistently, who did not want to enforce the terms of the deal which was purchased through their site. After a month or so, they informed me that Lisbon wanted to work something out. He offered to refund me the difference between the $352 and the $199, which I accepted, but did not wish to prepare the walls properly or provide me with 1-1/2 hours of labor that were part of the deal and not used. The Big Deal was a Bad Deal. Maybe if Lisbon is being paid is full price he will ensure that a good job is done, but the state of my hallway is disgraceful. Now I have to hire someone to fix this mess. I should have just left the wallpaper up.

Description of Work
Wallpaper was removed from a hallway, and the walls were supposed to be spackled, sanded, and primed and ready to accept paint.

11/27/2012

Nancy T.

I really did this in the "services performed" question.

Description of Work
We had a bathroom with many nooks and crannies and three different wallpapers. It seemed like a straightforward job, but when the men got started, they realized the glue had been adhered incorrectly and was not responding to the removal products. They had to scrape, to reapply multiple times the products, and they told us it was one of the hardest jobs they had ever done. They persevered and left the room ready to be primed, having prepared the walls and made them smooth. We had not expected these obstacles, so we ended up spending our budget on the preparation rather than being able to include the painting, but I am certain they would have done a beautiful job of painting as well. We were very satisfied and would recommend them to other customers.

11/27/2012

Sharan D.

I'm not sure where to begin. I have written to Lisbon to request some money back but he has not responded. I do not like leaving negative feedback, but I feel it's imperative that all customers who seek his services are FULLY aware of what he's all about. First of all, I was attracted to his company because of his coupons. He told me not to buy the coupons on Angies, he would honor the prices. He sent two men to my house to start working on pulling down wallpaper. When he first came to give us a price he said he would be "in an out".. estimated time to do the job wednesday to Friday. The fact that it took seven days and two men should tell you something right away. He charges by the hour and his rates are higher than anyone else out there.. $80 an hour for very SLOW workers. (why would they work quickly when they get paid by the hour?) Point by point, here goes: --timeline was off, took very long time --the damage to my home from Eddie and Alberto is in the hundreds, possibly more than what I paid for the job. They got paint on my silhouette blinds, left a huge paint stain on my wood floors and covered it with our piano, paint on my antique armoire and paintings. They said they would cover everything, but "things get messy" --they did not know how to get rid of the water stains on the ceiling. They tried two different primers and then I went to a paint store and asked the counterman what to use. He said, "you need an alcohol based primer, that's the only thing that works and if your painters don't know this, then they are NOT professionals". --Lisbon went to the paint store and picked up the Bens primer after I already paid for the time and primer for him to fix it twice ($400).. finally the bens worked and he handed me a receipt for drop cloths, rollers and primer! I thought my husband was going to lose it --spackle was caked and left on carpets --when the took down the wallpaper, they sprayed a solution everywhere, damaging curtain. I got an "oops" from Eddie on that one----After the second coat of paint was on, Lisbon reviewed the job and said, "Im not happy". I got more paint (no charge from my friend at the paint store) and the walls still were awful. you could still see the pattern of the wallpaper under the paint. --Prep was inadequate, paint job sloppy, over priced, and overall very poor job. --Parts of the living room walls are already cracking and peeling. --Two other contractors have come in and said the job was amateur --I am considering alternative action. we have to have the walls completely re done now. I can provide photos

Description of Work
Services included removing wallpaper in hallway and foyer, covering some water stains on living room ceiling, painting molding, livingroom, hallway and foyer. full patches and "smooth finish" was promised. Updated: Lisbon and HV are NOT licensed in Westchester county New York

11/07/2012

Charles F.

Owner came to provide estimate. Painters came a few days later. Very pleased.

Description of Work
Painted interior hallways and dining room. Taped, lightly sanded and painted in one day. No mess. Cleaned up everything.

11/05/2012

Melanie R.

I would highly recommend him. There were some problems with my walls, but he had them fixed, so the job was done well, and looks just right. The cost did increase from the estimate, but only because it took a few extra days to complete. They clean up every day, and are always polite and professional. Al was around and available to his men. I was amazed that they actually showed up when Hurricane Sandy was projected to start on Monday, and then came again on Weds. when we told him we had no power or heat.. He just said they would bring flashlights so they could finish the job, and they did! I feel you can count on him.

Description of Work
Al came and did an estimate to paint some areas in our home. He is very responsible, and comes when he says he will. His men (2) painted our master bedroom, and some other smaller areas in our home. I provided the paint, and he provided the rest.

10/10/2012

Diane A.

He wrote down some things, but I didn't feel it was concise enough for me to go forward on it.

Description of Work
I purchased a Deal for $199 The gentleman was very nice. He came over and looked around. My room was bigger than he was expecting, and I think he thought the job was too big.

Category wallpaper removal, wallpaper