GENERAL BRICK DESIGNS

Founded 1985 • With Angi since December 2008

H23626

19 FENIMORE RD.

Bayport, NY 11705

Owner Eddie Costanzo is a unique combination of master stone mason and structural engineer. Licensed and insured and on every job. All of his employees have been with him for many years and are dedicated to keeping up the impeccable record with the Bureau of Consumer Affairs of not one complaint in all the years in business for over 25 years. Former Army Corp. of Engineers takes on the most challenging of building and structural problems as well as all stone and paver masonry that is done in a special way to have lasting beauty and no settling. Member of the BBB holding an A+ rating....

masonry (144)concrete repair (53)hardscaping (51)Patios (50)foundation repair (43)structural engineering (37)basement waterproofing (33)stone & gravel (27)excavating (22)concrete driveways (18)chimney repair (16)decks & porches (11)

12/28/2021

Justin M.

We received estimates from a number of different water proofing companies. It seems most just wanted to install french drains even without understanding where the water was coming from. Ed from General Brick Designs was the only one who came with equipment and actually wanted to get to the source of the issue. He was very thorough and explained everything throughout the estimate process as well as when the work was taking place. His team excavated the necessary parts of the house and made the needed repairs and improvements. It's rare when getting work done, but Ed put me at ease and I felt fully comfortable that the work was being done correctly and the right way. During the work they noticed issues with the foundation and footings of the house and they also made those repairs. We will have to wait until the summer storms for their work to fully be put to the test, but I have confidence that it is taken care of.

Description of Work
Basement Waterproofing

Category concrete repair,basement waterproofing,foundation repair

Work Completed On 12/08/2021

12/13/2021

Peter M.

I can't thank Eddie Costanzo and his crew enough for what they did for my other home. Once again, I had major foundation issues. Not a simple waterproofing as every other contractor stated. The home is at a bottom of a hill. The land around the North side of the home was pitched wrong; as well as the slab never even having a layer of tar added to it. Another contractor would have done a simple water barrier and drainage; Eddie and his crew did way more. Digging under the footings on either side of the home; securing it with steel, as well as protective waterproofing, a ton of concrete- mixed on site so that Eddie is assured of the quality that goes into the job. He brought an indicator with him for the initial assessment that determined the amount of moisture being retained within the walls/beams of the home. The house was at its saturation point, and the concrete base was crumbling. Had Eddie not managed to squeeze me into his busy schedule, I don't think the home would have fared well this Winter season. No other contractor performs as thorough a job; Eddie always errs to caution and winds up doing more to provide the best quality job money can buy. Most every other contractor wants to always do water diversion; usually with French drains when "waterproofing" a basement. That actually compromises/destroys the foundation. Very few other contractors will actually waterproof on Long Island. I know I am always guaranteed the best possible job when I use General Brick Designs. Eddie truly is the Holmes on Homes for Long Island. Big thank you again goes to Eddie, his wife, and crew who made it all possible for me and my family.

Description of Work
First floor of High Ranch built on slab had extensive water leaks.

Category concrete repair,basement waterproofing,foundation repair

Work Completed On 12/13/2021

12/05/2021

Mary Catherine S.

I'd give Mr. Costanza 10 stars if I could. He correctly diagnosed the issue and moved quickly to remedy it. He stabilized the foundation and shored up the flooring, even making some repairs that weren't foundation related, but that he'd found needed to be done under the flooring. To reach the foundation, part of a new patio had to be removed. Now replaced, it's impossible to tell it had been disturbed. He noticed the chimney had some cracks and repaired it, without being asked and without charge! He was communicative and happy to answer any questions I had in a way that allowed me to understand and to know that my home was safe. Knowledgeable, affable and kind, Mr. Costanza was on the premises throughout each day, directing the work. His crew were also gentlemen, pleasant and helpful. I will definitely hire them again!

Description of Work
The foundation beneath my living room was sinking thanks to previous work done by another contractor.

Category concrete repair,excavators,masonry,chimney repair,foundation repair

Work Completed On 12/01/2021

11/20/2021

Amy L.

The work Eddie and his crew did for my house was exceptional. From the get-go, Eddie was able to explain the structural issues of my house in a way that was understandable, yet did not demean my lack of knowledge. He is a true teacher, and I wish we had someone like him as an inspector when we initially bought the house. Given his reviews on Angi's list, I had really high hopes for him, and he did not disappoint. His crew did a full underpin of two of my foundation walls, and while he was here, he patched up all the cracks in my foundation and even paved a new walkway and did some landscaping to ensure that we would not have water issues moving forward. He went above and beyond what our contract laid out, but I think my favorite part about the process was that I now feel there is someone I can always call if I have any concerns about my home. Eddie would give me an honest answer and help me find a solution, even if he wasn't an expert. I feel more comfortable as a home owner, knowing that there are people like him in the world. Once we pay this repair off, we are already planning to hire him again :).

Description of Work
Structural engineer, Foundation repair

Category concrete repair,masonry,structural engineer,foundation repair

Work Completed On 11/19/2021

Review for GENERAL BRICK DESIGNS - 19 FENIMORE RD., Bayport, NY - 39549712

10/21/2021

Jane H.

From the get go I was impressed with Ed's engineering knowledge, his ability to assess structural and materials issues, and his ability to explain the necessary procedures for an optimal outcome. Unlike other contractors who might avoid the inconveniences of working on an historic mid 19th century house, Ed welcomed the opportunity and took immense pride in stabilizing and preparing it for the next 100 plus years. His crew was skilled, punctual, and very pleasant taking great care in the construction and clean-up process. Ed was also very generous with his expertise on maintaining the house, assuring us that he could be called upon for council or to address any future concerns. His company is far beyond professional - they are house whisperers!

Description of Work
Waterproof foundation

Category masonry,pavers, gravel,basement waterproofing,foundation repair

Work Completed On 10/11/2021

09/21/2021

pedja A.

Extremely professional and knowledgeable, intellectually curious and great communicators. When you combine these 4 skills/attributes you get what was the best contractor experience of my homeownership career. No question was too big or small, or taken as challenge to their knowledge and expertise - no ego to bruise here. This made us not just see the results but understand what was done, how it was done, why it was done in such a way and why all other ways were ruled out. Don't get me wrong - if you don't want all that info they won't bother you - they will show up on time and do what they said they would do within the budget they said they would do it with - which in itself is a miracle these days. Do yourself a favor and look no further - if what you need done is within the scope of their services, book them right away. The earliest appointment we could get with them was 6 months after the initial consultation but was absolutely worth the time. Couldn't be more happier with any and all parts of our experience.

Description of Work
Foundation repair, pool coping repair

Category concrete repair,masonry,structural engineer,foundation repair

Work Completed On 04/22/2021

08/31/2021

Deb S.

***** Ed Costanzo at General Brick Designs is a consummate professional. He brings years of expertise to each job, with an artful eye, and a passion about masonry and brick work. Ed cares about customer satisfaction and works on a timely schedule. This is the second time we've contracted with Ed, and expect to do more at our home. The crew: Wilson, Darwin, Angel and Miguel are hardworking, kind and lovely to be around. One of the best things about General Brick Designs is that they do one job at a time - and Ed is there with his crew everyday. This is a superlative company that I recommend to anyone without hesitation. *****

Description of Work
Chimney replacement and masonry work

Category concrete repair,masonry,chimney repair

Work Completed On 08/25/2021

08/19/2021

Mark W.

We had an exceptional experience working with Eddie and his crew to repair our foundation. We originally had him out to provide an estimate on fixing an exterior crack in our foundation and replace some rusting columns in the crawlspace. He spent nearly an hour inspecting the exterior of the house, all the while explaining details about how the house was constructed, how the loads are distributed, etc. I learned a ton about my home I had never known before. When the crew came out to do the work, they then did a much more thorough internal inspection, and found two fairly severe issues (several rotted blocks in different spots of the foundation, and an improperly supported beam that holds up a large portion of our house). The crew took it upon themselves to fix these new issues as well, all without trying to upsell or change the original estimate. And they did all of this work in about a day and half. Part of this project even involved digging up sections of our yard that were under gravel walkways, which they put back looking even better than they found them. Overall, just a terrific experience and a great crew to work with.

Description of Work
Foundation Repair, Fixing Beams/Supports

Category structural engineer,foundation repair

Work Completed On 08/19/2021

07/27/2021

Linda Z.

Ed Constanza is a man you will love. He is a very intelligent, down to earth, perfectionist, caring person with wonderful work ethics! We had a horrific, disgusting ,smelly, moldy, dysfunctional crawl space as a basement. Which we had to take the oil burner and oil tank out of because of numerous water problems coming into our space. Ed and his crew came in and cleaned it up, waterproofed it, put anchors in, stones, a layer of concrete, wire mesh, then more concrete. Made it look so smooth. All this was done by the crew along with Ed. The crew, Wilson ,Darwin, Manuel, and Angel did all of this by hand!!! What excellent workers.. very hard work lifting wheelbarrows of cement and stones from the front of the house to the back 50 times for each, cement and stones in hot, humid conditions!!! They cleaned up anything that was laying around. Our place looked better than before they came to work, honestly!! We were scared to start this project at first, will all the other things we have done at our house that other contractors have done, and wound up being a mess and they could care less.. Its was that they got their money now try to get them to fix and redo the mess they made. NOT WITH ED CONSTANZA with Wilson, Darwin, Manuel, and Angel!!! Well worth every dollar we spent!! Nobody does it better in our opinion! They were such a Blessing!!!!! They are like our extended family now!! If you need a basement done or mason work, contact them for the best job and work ethics and price!! We are so happy we found Ed and his crew. We can't say enough about this whole experience !!

Description of Work
Basement waterproofing

Category concrete repair,masonry,basement waterproofing,foundation repair

Work Completed On 07/21/2021

07/21/2021

DONNA D.

Incredible gorgeous work! Mr. Ed Constanzo is my Knight in Shining Armor! I am beyond happy, beyond blessed with the work completed. I had previously hired a landscaper/contractor to install a bocce ball court, 2 horseshoe pits, with ties on each side and area for cornhole,. I thought he had my vision, however, after 3 months of him "working" on my the game area, this "professional contracter" walked off the job with materials I previously paid for, unfinished work, and verbal bullying. With that horrible experience, a sick special needs daughter who is legally blind, has brain tumors and currently on chemotherapy ,and my husband in the hospital in NYC for going on three months....... all this left me in a dire state. I was very angry and heartbroken that this play area was taken from my daughter, especially since this was her birthday gift. However, Mr. Costanzo heard about my experience and offered to help. Talk about blessings!!! He came by the next evening and saw what needed to be repaired or redone. I told him of my vision of the area, He was so well mannered, knowledgeable, and precise with detail. But get this, he wanted to have everything done in time for her birthday and to my surprise, was at my house with his crew the very next day! Now, that is a Knight in Shining Armor!!! He and his crew worked with such perfection. I was floored to see that every inch of that play area was evened and leveled. The bocce court was finished to perfection. It is tapered done smooth. It is beautiful. The horseshoes were leveled and I asked his to use ties to keep a big lane for the horseshoes. Done! He removed grass that should had been previously picked up and leveled out the pea gravel in the whole court, so it looks and is precise. But my biggest surprise was that I had mentioned that I was thinking of putting a seating area in the corner, and he gave me a stunning stone patio. All this in one day. With professional accuracy, precision and creativity. I am so grateful and my daughter is ecstatic on how beautiful it came out. I have never seen a crew that worked so hard for a result of perfection. What General Brick Designs does cannot be matched. If you want your project to be a precise work of art, then this is the company to call! General Brick Designs, Thank you- Donna and Gina DiMartino

Description of Work
games court area

Category concrete repair,hardscaping

Work Completed On 07/20/2021

All phases of and masonry - driveways, pool areas, stoops, patios,outdoor kitchens, retaining walls and fireplace specialist.Perfected waterproofing method used by Army Corp. of Engineers.Gravel and drainage specialist. Land grading and all phases of building as well as lifting and re-supporting of existing structures.

Please see for more details