Bud Matthews Service & Building Co Inc

Founded 1981 • With Angi since June 2006

545 Old Farrington Rd

Chapel Hill, NC 27517

General Contractor License Number - 76632 HVAC License Number- 15764 Plumbing License Number - 15764 Electrical License - SP-PH 19506

08/23/2020

Steven W.

Excellent service. I contacted Bud Mathews Service through Angie's List and used “Request a Quote” for a gas cook top that needed repair. Personnel telephoned me within one day, acknowledged my inquiry and said that a repairman would call me within a day or two. Paul telephoned and explained what parts would be necessary to make the repair, and gave me an estimate. Bud Mathews' staff called a couple of days later and scheduled an appointment. Paul arrived at the scheduled appointment time and proceeded to repair the cook top. He was professional, knowledgeable and courteous. The charge was as estimated.

Description of Work
GAS COOKTOP REPAIR

08/17/2020

Kennard W.

Professional, On-Time, Good Customer Service, and Communicated Effectively.

Description of Work
Heater blower replacement

07/12/2020

Matt W.

Steve was in and out in 20 minutes! The fix was an easy one (Removal of a foreign object.)

Description of Work
Noise in dryer motor

06/21/2020

R0bin G.

My refrigerator died the day after Thanksgiving 2019. I called all over trying to find someone to come out. No one could help me because it was a holiday. I reached one guy and he said he didn't want to work on my refrigerator because it is a difficult model and he didn't want his ratings to go down!!! I called Bud Matthews and they sent someone right out and fixed the problem. I believe his name was Paul. He was courteous and professional and he fixed it. This review is late, but I am still so grateful that I found Bud Matthews. If anything breaks in my home ever again, Bud Matthews is the only company I am going to call.

Description of Work
Repair my refrigerator

03/29/2020

Anjana K.

They were rude and abusive over the phone. They sent their tech early and called my home phone to tell me about it. I happen to be not home at the time as I was not expecting them at that time. Mind you they had my cell No., Finally, it dawned on them to call me on my cell. I asked the technician to wait I was stuck in traffic, morning rush hour, would be there in 15 min, at which point Mr. Mathews became belligerent and abusive. Now it was they who wanted to come early, they have been late coming a number of times to my house on the previous occasion because it took them longer than expected at a prior appointment. I didn't have a fit. I think Mr. Matthews is bipolar and needs professional help. This is not how one should treat a client. In the meantime, I lost thousands of dollars worth of food. This man is shameless.

Description of Work
Fridge repair

12/03/2019

Steve S.

Paul came out to our house within a few days of my call. He is very competent. I am fairly technical and saw he was methodical in narrowing down the source of the problem which turned out to be a failed circuit board. He got a price on the new circuit board and called me the next day. He said that if the problem turned out to be something different, we would not be charged for it. He came the next week with a helper to remove the door, install the new circuit board and put back the door. Ice Maker worked immediately. The repair was expensive but half of the cost was in the circuit board. I would definitely hire Bud Matthews again.

Description of Work
Ice Maker stopped working

12/01/2019

Teresa G.

Prompt diagnosis, part ordered, replaced very quickly. I am pleased not to have to replace the dryer and delighted to have it working again. Telephone staff were extremely helpful and the repairman Steve was knowledgeable and efficient.

Description of Work
Dryer repair

11/11/2019

Katie H.

Service person was very polite, helpful and efficient.

Description of Work
Dryer repair

09/29/2019

Philip B.

Excellent work , courteous, recommend

Description of Work
excellent work

09/29/2019

Philip B.

They did a great job as usual, expert, fast, clean, and solved some hard problems with the subfloor. Very courteous and fun to work with, We have used them for many years and always highest quality service. We highly recommend them for all their services.

Description of Work
old flooring removed, subfloor repaired and prepared for new flooring., and design help.

Category appliance repair, flooring contractor

08/31/2019

Todd B.

He came quickly (same day) because our refrigerator was not working at all. He spent considerable time diagnosing. He said it was the compressor. He told me that unfortunately on this LG refrig it would cost $1000 to replace the compressor even with the part paid for by LG. The refrig was only 3.5 years old! He said LG was having serious issues with their compressors. He has seen 5 or 6 in the last month or so. He said even if he replaced the compressor, odds are that it would break again within 4 years. So he advised getting a new refrig, recommending Whirlpool as one of the best and the easier (cheapest) to repair. He only charged us for a visit. (We bought a new Whirlpool refrig the next day.)

Description of Work
Try to fix refrigerator.

06/14/2019

Naomi L.

Repairman efficiently determined the was a broken part that was making the noise. He had one in his truck. He showed me the broken part and how it functions in the dryer. He then showed mw the new part and installed it. Everything finished in a half hour. Repairman was polite, professional , and knowledgable.

Description of Work
noise when dryer running

04/15/2019

Muki F.

I called the morning after our 10 year old refrigerator stopped working. Henrietta, with whom I spoke on the telephone, was able to send out Luis by 3 PM as he had had a cancellation. She was very clear about the cost. There was no additional cost for last-minute scheduling but it did cost $100 ( normally $125 but since I obtained their number through Angie’s list there was a $25 discount). A fuse in the circuitboard was defective and Luis was able to work out a temporary fix. He was polite and helpful. He showed me where the problem was and even taught me what to do if it stopped working again. Paul called me the next day with an estimate for replacing the circuit board; however the temporary fix had not continued to work so he was concerned that there was an additional underlying problem and I ended up deciding to replace the refrigerator. Paul then spent some time time talking to me on the telephone about what to consider in buying a new refrigerator, advice that was extremely helpful.

Description of Work
Emergency service for refrigerator repair

12/14/2018

Richard A.

It went well, although a second problem was found after the first repair

Description of Work
Repair dish washer

11/28/2018

Sally P.

It took a long time to get a part, and the service was very expensive.

Description of Work
repair washing machine

11/12/2018

Anjana K.

Bud Matthews was contacted by my home warranty service company to come to look at my fridge. Bud Matthews called me and said they could not come right away, It was a Thursday and they only work on weekdays, so they made an appointment for me for Friday between,11 AM and 3 PM. In the meantime, I had damage to my car from a dear and was at the shop which I had to pick up that, Thursday evening. The next day when I inspected the car I noticed the shop had not done a good job on the dent, and I realized I had to take it back for reinspection Friday morning I took the car to the shop,(shop was 30 min from my home) where I had to wait about an hour since I did not have an appointment. I got the inspection done and on the way home I had stopped to purchase cat food from the grocery store. While I was checking out I received a call from Bud Matthews that the technician was already at my home waiting, the time was 11. So I asked the caller to tell the guy to wait I was on my way home. He said OK. Within 5 min the person from Bud Matthews calls me back and says the technician, can't wait he has other appointments to go to. I begged the person to ask the technician to wait since I had so much food in my fridge that will spoil. He still refused. I then asked if he could make his way back to my place at the end of the day. They said no his day ended very late and could not.. He suggested I call my warranty Co back and they would just reassign the job and probably could get someone that very day. i said OK fine. In the meantime my home phone had a voicemail when I played it, it turned out it was from Bud Matthews from around 10 AM advising me the technician was on his way to my house an hour early due to a cancellation. So instead of calling my cell phone which is my primary No, they called my home and left a VM. Now to come to the point. There was no other service Co in my area, and Bud Matthews refused to comet o my house to fix the fridge, They stated I treated them badly, Not sure how I did that since I practically begged them to send the technician. Unfortunately, I had a business trip out of town for 2 weeks the next day. and all my food spoiled. Bud Matthews was totally unresponsive to my calls and Heartless and careless. I would say they had no sympathy or care for my loss and my situation. They simply did not want to honor their contract agreement with my warranty Co. and thought it was a good idea to lie about what actually happened.

Description of Work
My Kitchen Fridge stopped working

Category appliance repair

Dear [Member Name Removed] and [Member Name Removed] Through your participation in home warranty programs Bud Matthews Services has accepted and provided service to you on 10 different work orders therefore I hope you realize our strong commitment to customer service. We strive for 100% complete customer satisfaction and I apologize you felt we were insensitive to your situation. BMS asks and encourages all of our customers to leave reviews. We use the constructive criticism to improve our processes and procedures allowing us to provide better service in the future to you and our other customers. However, in this particular situation some of the facts were misrepresented and feel strongly about defending our reputation. BMS received the work order from the home warranty company on Thursday 10/11/2018. The work description was as follows "Fridge making loud noise from freezer. Sounds like it is coming from a fan. Unit is still cooling at the moment just a very loud noise." It is BMS policy if a customer has a refrigerator that is not cooling AND it is their only refrigerator than we will work a service call in that same day even if it is on a weekend. In your particular situation you indicated to your home warranty company that you WERE cooling. On Friday, yes the technician had a cancellation. It was the day after some storms and people were without electricity so we attempted to call your home in attempt to come earlier. When the technician had completed all of his service calls prior to yours he proceeded in route to your home. Yes, your appt was at 1pm and he arrived at 12pm. It is also BMS policy that we honor all pre-scheduled service appts, therefore the technician was instructed to go to lunch and then return at 1pm. When the technician arrived no one was home. He waited 15 minutes and then called the office to ask if he should tag the door and move on to his next appt. That is when we were able to reach you on your cell phone and was informed you couldn't be home for another 30 minutes. I appreciate and agree your time is valuable and you had several errands you were also trying to complete, but we expect our customer to be home at their scheduled appointment time or make arrangement for the technician to gain access. If we could have re-arranged the technician's schedule we would have but he was already over scheduled that day again due to the recent storm. As a courtesy to you we suggested you call the home warranty company and request the work order be reassigned. Bud Matthews Services is not the only service company in your area. Many times we have been forced to decline work orders due to a lack of availability and those work order were reassigned to other companies. Again I apologize for your frustration. I appreciate the desire to have your problem rectified before going out of town; however I do not feel BMS was heartless, careless or lacked sympathy for your situation.

10/02/2018

Robert A.

Fridge stopped cooling overnight so called them first thing in the morning and scheduled a technician to come out that afternoon. Technician was prompt, but they did not call me to notify me when he was the 30 minutes out as they had said they would (the only complaint I have). I already had fridge pulled out and had removed the bottom back cover, so it took him less than 2 minutes and no tools to diagnose my problem: the compressor was no good and/or my coolant was gone. To quote him, *solemnly* "I'm sorry. It's gone." Which was both sad and hilarious at the same time. Since fridge was 10 years old, and it would have cost $800+ to fix, he strongly advised buying a new one. He was very helpful: he made some great recommendations that was broad enough that I had plenty of options, but specific enough to not be overwhelmed with options--all without being asked! This saved the day for me, as it made the process of quickly finding a replacement fridge a relatively painless task.

Description of Work
Refrigerator diagnostics/repair

Category appliance repair

Mr. [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to write a review describing your experience. Paul, is a very emphatic technician and he does try to add humor to disappointing situations. To the point of not receiving a phone call as ensured you would, it concerns me. Our internal process failed not only you but BMS as well. Thank you for sharing that important part of your experience. I am going to review your service call from start to finish and try to find the point of break down. I hope you have had an opportunity to get your replacement refrigerator and that everything is working fine now. Hope

09/20/2018

Rita or Ed S.

PAUL came, fixed the problem, and left in 1/2 an hour. He knew exactly what needed to be done and he did it. BTW, did I mentioned that he’s a nice guy? He is!

Description of Work
Repair of a refrigerator freezer.

08/27/2018

Roger S.

Replaced defective parts, unit works fine now

Description of Work
Microwave repair

Category appliance repair, electrician

Mr. [Member Name Removed], thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience with BMS. you indicate you would hire us again, what can we do better to earn all A's. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us evaluate our ourselves and improve our ability to provide you and others with exceptional experience. I am pleased we were able to resolve the issue with your microwave / convection oven. If for some reason who have any questions or concerns regarding the repair, please do not hesitate to call the office and ask for Hope, I'll gladly assist you.

08/22/2018

Lori L.

Great! On time, great coordination with electrician and installation work and clean-up were great.

Description of Work
a ductless mini-split system was installed in my studio

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

08/21/2018

CRAIG & BETSY D.

It went SO well. They kept up with our schedule, even working all day on Saturday and returning on Sunday (!) to finish the task. Even though the drywall and painting tasks were in the garage, the crew took the time and care they would on the interior of the house. Hardworking and super accommodating. Kimberley (from the office) even tracked me down Saturday evening while we were out to ensure it would be completed. Love this company! They do it all!

Description of Work
We had a roof leak, so that was fixed as was the ceiling and drywall.

Category appliance repair, drywall, handyman service, roofing, interior painters

[Member Name Removed] and [Member Name Removed], Thank you for your great review. We are fortunate to be able to work for wonderful people like you. Please know you're deeply appreciated.

06/28/2018

Margaret W.

Very good service from BM office& service tech, Paul. Would call them again.

Description of Work
New computer board for washing machine

Category appliance repair

Ms [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of your experience. We try to helpful, friendly and provide skilled service from the initial phone call to the completion of the service. It was a pleasure working with you and let us know if / when we can help again.

06/11/2018

Barrie T.

The dryer had been squeaking loudly for several weeks when I called Bud Matthews. An appointment was set and two gentlemen showed up on time to take it apart. It needed a second appointment at which they installed a new switch. I thought they were among the most professional outfit I've dealt with in Chapel Hill. I would certainly call them again.

Description of Work
Dryer repair

04/16/2018

Christine W.

great!! did it while I was out of town and kept me updated throughout project.

Description of Work
fixed structural damage to garage door

Category woodworking

03/30/2018

John M.

Bud Matthew's Service was very prompt and responsive with my water heater request, removing an old 50-gallon electric tank-style water heater and replacing it with a newer 40-gallon version in a limited-access crawl space. They were very professional and were honest in their assessment of the situation and quote. While the price was a bit steep for the job, they were up front about it in advance and I think it was fair given the difficult working environment and efficiency with which they completed the job.

Description of Work
Water Heater Replacement

Category water heater repair