Hire a Husband Handyman Services

Founded 1993 • With Angi since January 2009

130 Avondale Rd

Asheville, NC 28803

Stephen Houpis has been in the handyman business since 1993, when he started Hire A Husband Handyman Services in Santa Fa, NM. Upon arriving here in Asheville in 2001, he continued to provide handyman services. He has been running Hire A Husband Handyman Services successfully here in Asheville ever since and consequently has established a solid reputation in the community which is based on many referrals and returning clients. What sets him apart from the “other guys” is that Stephen will return your calls, show up for appointments and do high quality work, to your satisfaction. While Stephen Houpis is on your property you are insured for up to one million dollars. There is 1 employee. Uses subs for electrical & plumbing. Charges an hourly rate of $40. Travel charges may apply. Many references available....

09/24/2021

Matt M.

This is the first review I've ever completed online. I feel it is necessary because the work was so poor and the service so unprofessional. Stephen agreed to undertake work on our project for $40 per hour. Approximately three weeks later (one week prior to our previously agreed and scheduled start date), he said that his rate was going to be $50, not the $40 that we agreed upon. I told him that he should have mentioned this when he accepted the work and that changing this seemed like an extortion ploy as I had no time to secure another contractor. He wouldn't budge on the price and I was stuck. In retrospect, I should have known the character of this man I was dealing with upon that interchange and told him "no thanks." I made the mistake of keeping him on the job and have regretted it ever since. His work quality was very poor. In our initial discussions, he assured me that he was very meticulous with his work and that he would ensure high quality work. He did not. After doing some simple kitchen plumbing that was well-below par, leaked and damaged the kitchen cabinet, I fired him and told him that he would not be paid for work that I had to have someone else come and fix. He said that I didn't "recognize the difficulty" that he had putting everything together and that he would like a chance to correct his work. I told him that the work was so poor that I no longer wanted him working at my property and was deducting the cost of the sub par work from his final invoice. If you don't care about high quality, Stephen is the contractor for you.

Description of Work
Needed to have some general work done on a condo renovation. Painting, trim work, minor plumbing and basic carpentry

Category contractors,drywall,plumbing,remodeling,home remodeling,interior painters

The quality of my professionalism ( I show up on time, return phone calls and I'm insured for $1 million dollars of liability coverage ) and my work is always in the best interest of the client, whenever possible. I have an outstanding reputation in this city. Sometimes the on site conditions and personality differences, will dictate otherwise, as is the case with the [Member Name Removed]'s condo. In a phone conversation with Mr [Member Name Removed], I informed him that the kitchen sink drain plumbing was NOT leaking when I left the job, as witnessed by his wife. I ran lots of water thru to make sure, as always. Something occurred over night. Could happen to anyone. I said it could be something as simple as a loose fitting, and that I would gladly fix it. I stand by my work, always. I have been in business for over thirty years and have never run into a situation like this? On the one hand Ms [Member Name Removed] was very complimentary about my work. I had trimmed out a mirror in the master bath, that she said was done well. When in conversation with Mr [Member Name Removed], he admitted that he should give me a chance to correct the plumbing issue, as is the usual case in these matters. By then though, I reconsidered and decided that I didn't want work for them anymore, considering how they were handling the discrepancy. I remain steadfast in my conduct. The rate increase went into effect with ALL my new clients, as were the McGraths. I wish them the very best with their sale of the condo.

10/07/2015

Melanie W.

Stephen is always prepared and always arrives when planned - Does very good work, that is more than professional is quality.

Description of Work
Painting repair of tire, rebuilding steps, removing curtain rods, building handicap ramp, repair of door, etc.

Category handyman service,interior painters

02/04/2012

Hermann G.

Both men always gave me notice about their expected arrival, were always on time, and finished each item of the operation in the time period they suggested to me. Both were highly professional, easy to work with, prompt, courteous, and most importantly, VERY thorough. The power washing included the application of an anti-bacterial/fungal wash solution. The sealant was applied with a sprayer, and care was taken to protect anything in the way of spray being blown away from the siding surfaces. For example, they wrapped the heat-pump carefully, etc. Material costs ran slightly higher than they had estimated and I was quite happy to pay the added cost when I saw how well the job had done. I feel both men were completely trustworthy, would not hesitate to recommend them to any one, and would hire them in the future.

Description of Work
Stephen Houpis of "Hire a Husband" and Tony Godwin applied sealer to my cedar-sided home. I offered the contract to them after attempting to secure 3 estimates. Only two contractors responded, and the bid differed a lot, Hire a Husband's bid being about 45% less than the higher bidder. I have seen such high variation among bids when getting estimates for installing a gas range and associated piping--it would seem that professionals should be able to estimate costs and profit better than that. I went with the low bidder and have not been disappointed in the least. The job began with a thorough power-washing of the entire siding and the two smallish porches. The application of the sealer required that all windows, doors, garage-doors be protected by plastic and sealed off from the sealant spray, and other, minor preparation and required a subsequent "clean-up" i.e., removing all plastic sheeting, re-installing some fixtures, etc. The operation was weather sensitive and we had to wait for an appropriately sunny and warm (more the 50 deg F series of days to allow the washing to dry, the sealer to be applied and dry) and it took a while to get the right combination. Once that happened everything went relatively fast. The house looks beautiful, though I instructed them not to worry about detailing every item, as I wanted protection more than uniform finish. It had been 6 or 8 years since I did the job myself previously, and there was some weathering.

Category house painters

05/30/2011

Carolyn R.

Planning was poor, execution on some things was fine, on other's poor and will need to be redone. Made 5 trips to Lowe's to return items and get the right stuff.

Description of Work
several small jobs like shelving

Category handyman service

03/18/2009

BARBARA E.

Stephen is very knowledgeable. He is efficient, very honest and trustworthy. I let him have the key to my home. I had no issues with that. He is a perfectionist. He is careful and qualified. He explains everything very well. Just a really good guy. When you call him he gets right back to you. He communicates each situation as it arises.

Description of Work
I have hired him to redue a closet, re-cauk a tub, ceiling work, refinishing my deck. His name is Stephen Houpis.

Category handyman service

Jesus & Johnson

Jesus & Johnson - handymen services

Asheville Painting Co

We look forward to serving your painting needs and want to assure you that our professional crews practice social distancing for your protection, and will wear masks if requested. We are phone call away for your FREE estimate! All calls are returned within 24-48 hours, between the hours of 8am-7pm, Monday-Saturday, Asheville Painting Co. is a family owned, full service painting company with over 22 years of experience. Whether your project is a single room or an entire community, our attention to detail and work habits, coupled with high integrity, makes doing business with us the right choice! Our experience includes residential, commercial, industrial, and pressure washing. We also can do specialty coatings and repair work. Call us NOW for your FREE estimate! *Don't forget to mention your an Angie's List member!*

Green Mountain Construction

we are a locally owned and operated company a construction company specialized in all types and styles of siding,roofing, exterior painting & concrete,after many years of working and experience over the years we are here to serve you. you can call us at anytime and anyday God bless yall DANIEL(240-751-6357

Carpentry. Painting. Tile. Electrical. Plumbing. Fixtures. Small Remodels. Water Filtration.

Roofing. Yard Work. Additions. Hauling.