The Handyman Can!!! Inc

Founded 1995 • With Angi since July 2002

3059 Bellaire Ave

Saint Paul, MN 55109

When I was 5, mom caught me taking apart a watch and a toaster at my grand parents home. She scolded me, but grandpa insisted that she let me be. I fixed the toaster. The watch, well it didn’t work in the first place. When I was 15, my mom hired my cousin Jim, 10 years my senior, to finish our

07/27/2020

Fernando A.

John was responsive to my request for an estimate, contacted me on the date we had scheduled, and always followed up with my questions. I was happy with the final work product

Description of Work
Repair a damaged window's outside frame, replace molded wood

Category siding, replacement windows, home security systems

07/16/2020

pam P.

Johnny was prompt and efficient. He was very pleasant and got to work immediately. He did a great job and the work looks new, fresh and professional. He worked on something until it was perfect and to his , and my, expectations. I'd definitely hire him again.

Description of Work
Window and door frames peeled and repainted. New screen door put on.

Category handyman service, replacement windows, home security systems, window treatments, house painters, doors

07/15/2020

Tenee L.

Work was fine but t was estimated at 3 to 4 hours and was charged for almost double. Jeep’s sayings o good faith estimated. He has been in the business 26 years and he should know really close what it should cost for repairs

Description of Work
Exchange fan for a fan, a light for a fan, fix 6 steps, bifold door and a grit doit

Category lighting, ceiling fans, doors

06/02/2020

Mary E.

Very efficient and good attention to details. Very pleasant person to be around. I wouldn't hesitate to call upon him again.

Description of Work
Installation of 2 window air conditioners

Category handyman service, home security systems

04/19/2020

Becky H.

I have never worked with this company.

Description of Work
Handyman Services

Category handyman service

Hello Potential Customer, Thank you for letting everyone know you have not worked with me with my company. I responded to your request from late Friday evening during business hours on Monday with a voicemail and am waiting to hear back what your response is. I look forward to being of service if you choose to work with me and my company. Sincerely, Johnny John C. Thomas Owner, The Handyman Can!!!® Inc. "Being Of Service - I Love It"

04/01/2020

Sue A.

John was very professional and easy to work with. His estimate for my project was reasonable and spot on with the final cost. He came when expected, kept me informed during the process, and completed all work in a timely manner. I'm very pleased with how the project turned out!

Description of Work
fence repair and retaining wall replacement

Category handyman service, masonry, hardscaping, driveway gates

01/28/2020

Aimee W.

It went pretty well. Johnny was later than we had agreed, but he let me know at the scheduled arrival time that he would be late. Johnny was good to work with, and we got all the items on my list done. He's a bit pricey, but he has a lot of experience, and I found him to be honest and open.

Description of Work
Primarily painting, but also fixing a doorbell and hanging some heavy pictures.

Category handyman service

Hello Dear Customer, Thank you for taking the time to review your service experience. I know you are busy making arrangements for your outstate move and new "liberating" job opportunity. That you found me to (have) "a lot of experience" and "to be open and honest" are priceless comments that I very much appreciate. That you regard your job as "liberating" tells me your carreer is both enjoyable and rewarding. I wish you all my best in your new home, job and happiness. Sincerely, Johnny John C. Thomas Owner, The Handyman Can!!!® Inc. "Being Of Service - I Love It"

12/05/2019

IDA B.

Mr. Thomas gave us a very detailed and clear estimate. He came on the date and time set up, calling ahead about the exact time of arrival. He answered our questions about the job. He completed the work within the estimate amount and left the area cleaned up. We could ask for no better service. We had used him before and will do so again.

Description of Work
We needed new service door for our garage

Category handyman service, woodworking, doors

12/04/2019

Cathy M.

I discovered a fist-sized hole in the siding trim just before we were expecting snow. I wanted to get it taken care of quickly. I called John on a Friday around noon. He was able to stop by that afternoon and complete the repair in about 10 minutes. Great job, very fast.

Description of Work
Patch hole in siding

10/27/2019

Scott P.

Apparently “The Handyman Can’t!!!” return an email or phone call despite four separate messages. My standards are low for this type of business but when the handyman can’t even return a call or email I am left wondering about his competence.

Description of Work
Drywall repair, light fixture installation

10/12/2019

David P.

Quick and efficient as usual. But I want to recount a separate incident. After Johnny came to fix the doors, our garbage disposal seized up and wouldn't start. I called Johnny, expecting another visit and probably a replacement. $$ Over the phone, he told me how to reset the disposal and now it works OK. No $. He knows how to create loyal customers.

Description of Work
refitting old wooden doors in 100 year old house

09/13/2019

Constance T.

He took forever to finish the work, far longer than he promised me. It took about 3 months to get it done, he go away and disappear and then came again. He had done a horrible job, he had glued work instead of nailing it. The door didn't fit, there are gaps at the top and bottom of the door that lets insects in. He hadn't put a handle to the door, he hadn't painted the outside wood of the gazebo. The worst thing is I had to threaten him to no payment until he gets the work done. I was very disappointed in his work on the gazebo, because it was such a contrast to the work that he had done for me. For small projects, I think he is very good at that but for the larger projects, I would not recommend him.

Description of Work
He painted and repair an enclose gazebo. The gazebo was 12 b 12 or 14 by 14, it has 6 sides to it. It was supposed to be a screen enclosed gazebo.

Category decks

09/13/2019

Constance T.

The service great. He did a really good job!.

Description of Work
He painted the upper and lower front porch. He replace the doorbell and replace some overhead light fixtures.

Category decks

08/23/2019

Sue W.

I called and described what I wanted. Was told I’d receive a call back, and no one ever called. I hired another service provider.

Description of Work
Moving furniture from one storage unit to another in same building

Category handyman service, hauling services

08/19/2019

Caitlin C.

He did the job, it took longer than I thought, but he charged $275 for the first hour and $168 an hour after that.

Description of Work
Installing runners to keep windows from leaking, multiple smaller jobs

Category handyman service, replacement windows

07/23/2019

Kenneth M.

Never responded to my message. 07/14/2019.

Description of Work
Exterior Carpentry

07/18/2019

C H.

Very bad. Had to manage the job remotely and he showed up at odd hours, worked late, wanted way more than he quoted and I found the tile he pulled off the shower in a 5 gallon bucket behind my garage.

Description of Work
Removal of tub surround and replace with a new one

Category bathtub refinishing, handyman service

Dear Customer, I am sorry your experience was "very bad". So the readers know, at the time you were living in Texas and so You handled the job remotely. I was on site for the repair work and also subcontracted a plumber to replace the shower valve and shut offs. It is true that I worked odd hours, approved by your renters so they could have their bathroom restored ASAP. This work was completed MARCH 31 2016 I am a full service contractor which includes removal of construction materials. I may have inadvertently left a pail of tile but certainly would not 'hide' them behind your garage as implied. That may have occurred when finishing late at night and was overlooked by me. I am sorry for any inconvenience. I hope you have found a service provider who meets your expectations. Sincerely, Johnny John [Member Name Removed]. Thomas CEO The Handyman Can!!!® Inc. License #BC129693

06/03/2019

Rebecca D.

It is always a pleasure to work with Johnny. We have worked with him in the past and he has always been able to solve problems that are difficult to solve otherwise. This time he helped find the cause of a leak in a window (it hasn't leaked since) and fixed water damage from an ice dam.

Description of Work
Repair of a leaky window

Category handyman service

Dear [Member Name Removed], Thank you so much for taking the time and providing the review of your service experience. Thank you also for mentioning that I have worked with you in the past. I so appreciate you as my customer. As I recall, the roofer said "Its the window" and the window people said "Its the roof". I didn't know what it was until I set a ladder and got up there to see it. I look forward to serving you again. Sincerely, Johnny John C. Thomas CEO The Handyman Can Inc. "Being Of Service - We Love It"

04/24/2019

Leslie K.

This company should only be allowed to do the most basic handyman projects. In fact they should change their name from Handyman Can to Handyman Can’t or Shouldn’t. The only part of our large project that went smoothly was bathroom fixture installation. When they installed a new staircase railing and banister it was one of the most unsecure and ugly carpentry jobs I have seen. We forced them to redo the staircase and refused to pay an additional amount because they were in error in promising a design that they couldn’t fulfill. During a yelling match they tried to blame us for not telling them how they should do their job - which is what we were paying them for, their expertise (or obvious lack there of). Furthermore and as another example of ineptitude, Handyman Can‘t decided to stain the box beam ceiling and crown molding AFTER they had installed it which resulted in stain markings all over a freshly and beautifully painted ceiling. Anyone with any experience would know that the staining should’ve been done before installation. I called them out on this and they stated there approach was to save time but they eventually relented and admitted they had messed up big time. I told them that my painter, who I was using for other projects, would have to fix their stain damage to the ceiling and that Handyman Can’t would have to pay the painter directly to fix their catastrophe. My painting and hardwood floor subcontractors were appalled by the lack of professionalism on the part of Handyman Can and yelled at them at one point when they were all working at the house together at the same time saying, “Is this how you run your business, you blame the customer when something doesn’t go right and then need other people clean up the mess you made?” Stick with installing towel racks, Handyman Can’t.

Description of Work
At a previous property we requested the following projects be performed by Handyman Can: staircase banister and railing staining and installation, box beam ceiling and crown molding staining and installation, bathroom fixture installation, removal of a partial wall, and hanging barn doors.

Category handyman service

Dear Customer, Question: Why after all was said and done did you ask us, while on-site, to do new work in your kitchen? This work was completed in February 2016. Regards, John C. Thomas

04/14/2019

Ralee R.

Johnny was responsive and very personable. He fit me into his schedule last minute which I really appreciated. He arrived promptly and got my project done quickly. I would hire him again.

Description of Work
Mounting a tv

Category handyman service

Dear Customer, Thank you for taking the time and providing my business and potential customers with your service experience. I've tried talking my wife into a bedroom TV...well, she's a winner every other which way. Enjoy your newly mounted TV. Sincerely, Johnny John C. Thomas CEO The Handyman Can!!! Inc. "Being Of Service - We Love It" License BC129693

03/18/2019

David P.

I thought it was odd that he required a deposit before the visit. But he came the next day after contact, which was impressive. Both jobs though small required creative solutions. For the bedroom hinge he inserted a shim in the hinge (not noticeable) that put it back in place. In the downstairs bathroom, rather than put in something modern (we have an old house) or searching for a match, he suggested the money-saving solution of fitting a skeleton key in the existing lock. He found a locksmith, took the door handle there and had the keys made. Problem solved. A little pricey, but excellent. I would definitely call them again. Also, he offers a significant reduction in price on a second visit.

Description of Work
We had a worn hinge that prevented the bedroom door closing. We also wanted a door handle with lock on downstairs bathroom door.

Category handyman service

Dear Customer, Heavens know's what has solutions pop into my head. There was a time when I required a locksmith many moons ago...I lost my motorcycle ignition key. Since that time, I have been to several lock smith shops. In your case on a whim, I called the shop closest to you and where I have done business. Yep he says, bring it in. So there you go. Thank you for sharing. That was a fun solution. The shim behind the hinge, learned that from a door hardware specialty service Co. I don't know what the deal is, but the longer I've been in the handyman business, I've been working on older and older homes...wait a minute....I'm decades older too! As Homer Simpson would say: "DOH" Now there's a curious thing about getting a deposit before arrival. I get very few no shows. I like the idea of putting skin in the game. The customer's money and my integrity. The only way you'll get burned by me is by standing too close to my bald head on a sunny day. That's all for now folks. Sincerely, Johnny John C. Thomas CEO The Handyman Can!!! Inc. "Being Of Service - We Love It" License BC129693

03/15/2019

Kristina L.

Services were performed on the same day requested, which was desirable given that the garage door would not close and garage thefts are fairly common in the twin cities. Johnny was very professional and his rates were reasonable given the quick turnaround.

Description of Work
Repair of damaged garage wall accidentally hit by vehicle

Category garage doors, handyman service, woodworking

Dear Customer, Wasn't this the "Perfect Storm" of a winter for ice, ice dams etc. It happens. I'm not always available in a pinch, and I do try to be. I'm glad I was able to get free to get yours done. I want to take a moment to let the readers know about the help I received: After repairing the garage wall, the door opener needed to be adjusted. It was a newer digital style. I called a garage door company I had worked with before and asked if someone would tell me how to adjust it over the phone. The receptionist said he'd call one of the guys and ask. A few minutes later the tech in the field called, and talked me through the procedure. I don't want to step over how generous that act was. Good things that happen need to be shared. Share something with someone today. Sincerely, Johnny John C. Thomas CEO The Handyman Can!!! Inc. "Being Of Service - We Love It" License BC129693

03/09/2019

Michelle R.

Johnny was great to work with. He did a beautiful job and was punctual. He did a great job cleaning up afterwards which was much appreciated.

Description of Work
caulk removal and recaulk of a shower

Category handyman service

Dear Customer, Thank you so very much for your kind words and for taking the time to provide a review. I can't express enough the difference your review makes for my business. Thank you for sharing your experience with the folks who read these reviews. I appreciate you, my new customer. Sincerely, Johnny John C. Thomas CEO The Handyman Can!!! Inc. "Being Of Service - We Love It" License BC129693

03/08/2019

verna G.

The job went very well. The mirrors were removed efficiently and not one was broke in the process.

Description of Work
I had 5 large floor to ceiling mirrors removed

Category handyman service

Dear Customer, Yeah, that was a 'fun' one: Five 4 foot by 8 foot floor to ceiling mirrors covering the wall corner to corner. When you asked "How are you going to do it?" Response: "I'm going to have to figure it out". That is what handy people do. Yes and I've met some handy women. More about that later. I couldn't be sure at the onset that breakage would not occur. To the readers, here's 'The Rest Of The Story'. At a later date, my dear customer decided to remount 1 mirror horizontally and centered mid-wall with used barn boards for a frame. Jeepers lady, twice the fun in one house?! It took a while as the boards were different widths and thicknesses. Well we figured it out and when I say we I do me she...suggested trimming the corner would be ok with her to compensate for the varying widths. When the job was done she uttered the magic words that make my day: "It Looks Great". Ok, the rest of the story about the handy gal. She calls and can't get that darn garbage disposer out. When I arrive, there's her open tool box in the middle of the kitchen floor. I get the disposer out and she says "That's the tool I was missing! I'm going to have to get me one." I said, well with that tool box you must me pretty handy yourself. She: Yes, I am. Me: Do you do it for a living? She: Just word of mouth, around the neighborhood and friends. Me: Do you have a name? She: "Chicks That Fix" Me: Great Name, Good Marketing. Well, that's all for now folk's. My fingers are getting winded. Johnny John C. Thomas CEO The Handyman Can!!! Inc. "Being Of Service - We Love It" License BC129693

01/05/2019

DENNIS & DEBI M.

Johnny was great and got the job done quickly so that our new appliances could be installed on schedule. Johnny is very happy to work with customers to get the results that they want.

Description of Work
Raise laundry room countertop 2-inches to accommodate larger washer and dryer

Category handyman service, plumbing, woodworking

Dear Customer, Thank you for taking the time and providing your service experience. I'm glad to have gotten it finished before your scheduled delivery. As you said, the delivery folks told you if you rescheduled, it would be weeks down the road. Hey, no fun hauling laundry to the coin-op. We've all been there. Enjoy your new washer & dryer. Sincerely, Johnny "Being Of Service - We Love It"

Ivy Cleans

Since 2019, our mission has remained the same, to provide unparalleled house cleaning service and allow our work to exceed all expectations of professionalism, integrity, and effectiveness. From the smallest and easiest job to the most strenuous, we make sure that we are not finished until the satisfaction of our customers is met. Whether your house is too dirty, you don't have time for it, or you just want to rest, we've got you! Our process is as frictionless as it gets: Instant Booking Customized Schedules Eco-friendly Products Reliable and Professional Cleaner We provide quality cleaning services, NEVER cancel appointments, and always leave your house looking outstanding.

ANCHOR IRON CO.

Anchor Iron is a third generation family business that was established in 1953. We manufacture and install all types of custom iron work from step and deck railings to storm doors and windowboxes. We offer no cost, no obligation estimates and year round installations.

Black Bull Landscape LLC

BLACK BULL LANDSCAPE LLC is dedicated to providing the best quality work in MN, Landscape design and build. We are the best in what we do, we work quality and efficiency at the same time we build your dream project. 10+ years of experience in landscape design and build. -Landscape planting. -Hardscape - Paver and natural stone Patios, Sidewalks and Driveways. -Hardscape - Block, Natural Stone and Boulders - Retaining Walls. -Irrigation (New installations, repairs and maintenance) -Snow and Ice management.

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check, PayPal

Residential Install, Repair, and Maintenance: Carpentry * Caulking * Deck Repairs * Door Installation And Repair * Glass Replacement * Small Drywall Patching * Fence Repair * Flood Lights * Gutter Repair * Cleaning * Insulation * Locks * Moulding * Trim* Shelving * Siding * Storm Damage * Windows * Commercial Maintenance * Rental Maintenance * Change Smoke Detector Battery In High Ceilings * Picture And Mirror Hanging & Centering * Window Treatment Installations

For the following services call us for a referral for craftspeople that we know and trust: Appliance Repair * Full Remodels * Plumbing * Electrical * Gutter Replacement * HVAC * Tiling * Decks * Roofing * Concrete Work * Masonry * Flooring * Painting * Drywall * Wall Paper Hanging