CADY HANDYMAN SERVICES

Founded 1992 • With Angi since July 2001

820 Decatur Avenue North

Minneapolis, MN 55427

We have been serving residential and commercial clients throughout the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area since 1992. We are a locally owned business and our goal is to exceed your expectations. That means we arrive on time, provide well trained professionals, do the job well and know it’s not finished until you’re satisfied. No job is too big or small — one call does it all! ...

03/04/2014

Maria L.

The guy was very good. He tried to help us and gave us views on all the things we needed to fix and how to fix it.

Description of Work
I used Cady Handyman Services for a marble countertop installation. They also fixed a closet and a patio door.

12/13/2013

SUSAN M.

In August, 2011, I contacted Cady Handyman Services and Tom N came to look and the house and prepare a quote. He indicated they were busy but would be able to complete the job before the weather got too cold. Although not the lowest bid, I accepted as I was impressed with the assurances that they would do a quality job on the prepping and repairing of wood prior to painting. The painters came in late November and finished the job in two days. I called to report that the front door/entry had not been painted, and was told the weather was too cold but they would come back in Spring to finish. I agreed to that (on hindsight that was not a good idea). In May, 2013, about 1 1/2 years after the house was painted, I noticed significant peeling and blistering of paint all over my house. I contacted Jim Carpenter, who said he would be happy to come by and inspect the damage. After multiple calls/emails, he finally responded and scheduled to meet me at my home July 24. He was a no show. After multiple more emails, he agreed to stop by again, which he did in August. After walking around the house, he informed me that he had actually stopped by when I wasn't home (odd because I work at home) "with others" to inspect the damage, and their conclusion was that the issue was not related to the quality or condition of paint they used or any neglect on their prepping, but instead to the way the home was originally painted when built back in 1995. He said the only way my house could be painted without the paint peeling/blistering after a short time would be to replace all of the wood siding and start from scratch. He said there was no way they could have known that when accepting and completing the job. I reminded Jim that they had neglected paint the front door/entry. He said he would make good on that and have a painter come by in September. After multiple emails requesting a date, he indicated "no later than end of September". In October, he apologized and said someone would come by week of October 14. No show. After that he simply stopped responding to my emails and voice messages. Very, very dissatisfied customer. I consider hiring Cady Handyman Services to be a very costly mistake.

Description of Work
I hired Cady Handyman Services two years ago to paint the exterior of my house and deck. The house is wood siding on three sides (brick in front, but garage doors, front door/entry, and trim in front required painting). The work was to include all prepping, including repair of damage caused by woodpeckers. The workers painted the house but neglected to point the front door/entryway.

Category house painters

11/25/2013

Susan D.

I contacted Cady Handyman Services on 11/6/13 to make an appointment for handyman services at a rental unit I own. Jim replied and we set an appointment for 11/18/13. He never showed up or contacted me. I sent him an e-mail expressing my disappointment and had no response.

Description of Work
Nothing

09/17/2013

Jannyce B.

Just had a professional contractor over to my home and my deck is fixable and does not need to be rebuilt. Cady wouldn't give me time of day and definitely acted like they didn't need any more business.

Description of Work
They didn't have time to come even look at my deck to give me an estimate. I found the guy I spoke with was sort of rude and abrupt and said wouldn't fix. Would have to build new without even looking at it,

Category handyman service, deck cleaning

06/28/2013

Brenda G.

I can honestly say my house was in better shape before Tom Nightingale showed up. The next day after the services were performed the bathroom fan still sounds like a motor boat and sometimes the heat lamps won't shut off and neither will the fan. The two hand towel holders that were anchored and tightened by Tom were so negligently placed that the two very long screws on each holder , bore into both solid oak pocket doors on each end of a Jack and Jill bathroom. One door was gauged by the screws as it was opened for use. The screen doors are still broken. The paint on the trim is OK. I was so frustrated. Are house is currently on the market and it's hard to have showings when handymen are here and things are falling apart. I now have to find another handyman to do the same work. Waste of time and money with Cady.

Description of Work
I asked Cady Handymen services to fix broken heat lamps in a bathroom fan, do minor touch up painting on trim near the roof of the house and to fix/move a towel holder. I also wanted them to look at two Pella sliding screen doors that will no longer stay open. Tom showed up from Cady about ten minutes early. He talked for the first hour (off the clock), telling me stories about horrible contractors and shoddy workmanship. Tom fixed the heat lamps and made it so the fan in the same unit stopped blowing air and started sucking moisture out of the bathroom. While fixing the fan/motor he made adjustments that made the motor unbearably loud. He knew that was a problem but said he couldn't make it better. Tom then fixed the two towel holders by using two giant butterfly anchors. I thought he would have to move the holder to where a stud was but he said the anchors would do it. On to the screen doors - Tom tried to clean the tracks to see if that would make them stay open on their own but no luck. He then lifted one screen off the track, dropped it and popped out the screen as it landed on top of a kitchen chair. The next hour was spent running to get a new screen and replacing the popped out one. No charge but time consuming.Lastly, Tom used paint we had to touch up the roof trim. I needed him to be done as I had to leave. He gave me the bill. $48 trip charge and $68.50 an hour. I knew of these charges before he arrived. $287.75 total.

Category handyman service, house painters, doors

06/07/2013

rachel R.

Tom was FANTASTIC - very responsive to calls, very punctual, and the quality of his work was excellent. He was really friendly and did not hesitate to explain different aspects of what he was doing. I would highly recommend this company!

Description of Work
Tom installed swinging screen doors for my existing french doors.

Category handyman service, doors

We appreciate your business and look forward to working with you again. Thanks!

05/10/2013

Sarah B.

They are excellent. I have never had any dissapointment at all. They are very clean and professional. All around a good experience.

Description of Work
I had plumbing work done.

Category handyman service, plumbing

[member name removed]; Thanks again for your continued patronage. You have been a great customer and we appreciate your work. We are very pleased to have you for a customer.

03/18/2013

MARY T.

Difficult job - in hind-sight, both doors should have been replaced. Original bid was for replacement of one of the doors and repair of the other. The repairman decided to attempt repair of both doors.

Description of Work
repaired two older doors.

02/18/2013

Carolyn M.

I had just had my house broken into and a window needed to be boarded up. After trying to contact a couple difference companies, Cady Handyman was so nice and accomodating and able to help me within hours. They were very considerate, did a great job, and helped me out when I really needed it.

Description of Work
Had window boarded up after a break-in.

02/06/2013

Cari C.

Emailed company for an estimate to repair or replace some interior doors. Got a prompt reply and set up a time for the appointment. The owner assessed the job and told us that repair was all that was needed, not replacement. He also gave us some insight into a future job that we are considering and could consider the company for. The repairs were able to be scheduled within a week and the job was well done. Only snag was a little mix up in the time that the job was to start, but this was very minor. Overall we are very happy with the experience. We very much appreciate the experience level of the people we dealt with (Jim and Tom).

Description of Work
Job well done

12/12/2012

Sujatha S.

Jim was very professional. They ripped the vinyl flooring and changed it to tile flooring. Work was completed on time.

Description of Work
Bath tiles

Category ceramic tile, handyman service

11/05/2012

Lisa C.

After getting a bid from Cady this summer, I hired them to do some work on my house (clean gutters, install gutter covers I'd purchased and fix a piece of siding). They agreed to do the work on September 10 at 1:00 p.m. They didn't show, and they didn't return my calls over the next couple of days. I felt they wasted my time. I gave them an F rating here and moved on to look for other handyman companies. Except that finding another company turned out to be easier said than done (the ones I contacted didn't serve my area or didn't want to do work on a 2-story house or were booked for months). A week later, my contact at Cady called to apologize. He said he'd gone out of town and the people back at the office dropped the ball. He offered to do the work for a reduced fee. I hadn't hired another company and was starting to wonder if I'd find one before winter, so I agreed to hire them. Two workers showed up as promised on September 21. They did a great job and were knowledgeable and personable. My husband and I were very happy with the work, and we would hire them again.

Description of Work
After a rough start (no-show), Cady called a week later and rescheduled. They arrived at my home on the day and time scheduled to clean the gutters, put on gutter covers, and fix a piece of siding that came loose. The two men who did the work did a great job.

Category handyman service

We appreciate the time and effort our customer put in on this project. We appreciate the comments here and will do our best to implement a scheduling program that will assist in avoiding delays in the future. We are currently testing (2) scheduling programs and we are committed to selecting the one that fits our operation best. Thanks again for your business.

06/27/2012

Mike T.

I had thought of attempting the work myself, but realized that Tom, a problem solver, had completed a better job than I could have managed. I have used Cady Handyman Services several times in the past, and would use them again. Mike Thompson

Description of Work
Strong winds had ripped my storm door closer piston from the door frame. Tom, whom I had requested due to his previous good work, secured the closer with much longer screws and added a spring and chain to offset the effect of high winds.

06/10/2012

steve J.

I will not work with Cady again. Poor customer service, rude service providers and unresponsive to customers concerns.

Description of Work
I have used Cady in the past and have had a good experience. This time was a different story. Scheduled a guy (Tim?) to come out and do some caulking. He texted me stating that he came to the house and he can't dothe work for various reasons. I was at my house, he never showed. He argued with me and never come to do the work. I have called Cady 3 times no response. Not only unprofessional but very rude.

Category handyman service

This customer was not calling the appropriate phone number and we were not aware of any problem. No messages were left. This is simply a problem with the customer having an old phone number. We apologize for the inconvenience.

05/21/2012

Michael A.

we called this copmpany to have a bid for adding steps on to our existing deck. we called the company and they responded right away and sent someone out to look at the project. when the person was at our home and we discussed what we wanted done, he said that he would get a bid together for us by the end of the next day. we have waited a week now and have never heard from him again. we are very dissapointed in this company that they have never called back to give us the bid or call and say they can't do the job or don't want to do the job. I can only assume that they have enough business already and don't need ours.

Description of Work
no service was performed.

Category decks, handyman service

This review is totally inaccurate. We delivered a proposal to this customer. The customer must have us confused with another company.

05/17/2012

Mark D.

Everything went according to plan and they were helpful and professional. Painted door and fixed weather trimming. While waiting for the first coat to dry they patched up some nail pops and took care of looking at a few other small items.

Description of Work
They came and painted and repaired a door for me as well as provided some small handyman activities.

Category handyman service, interior painters, doors

05/11/2012

TAYLOR P.

A bedroom light-ceiling fan combination was shorting and wired differently than our other room fans. Previous experiences with Cady Handyman made it an easy decision on whom to call for service. I was able to a get a repair appointment-- at a time that works for someone with a day job-- within three days of calling. Though the old amateur wiring job was a mess, Tom thought through the repair and had it done to expectations in reasonable time (including a trip to the hardware store for parts).

Description of Work
Repaired / Re-Wired Room Ceiling Fan

Category electrician, handyman service, ceiling fans

Thanks for your positive comments here and your continued patronage. We appreciate when our customers recognize that Cady Handyman Services is focused on repeat business. We work hard to respond quickly and complete your home repairs, maintenance and construction in a timely fashion.

05/03/2012

Sarah B.

Our experiences with Cady's Handyman Services have been excellent. They are professional, very neat and overall just plain great. There was nothing to be disappointed with so I give them a strong A+.

Description of Work
We have had the very best service and workingmanship from Cady's guys, Tom Nighingale in particular.. Since weather last Sept. caused a hold to be put on completing some staining of latice work around our 3 season porch we were told when weather is good in the spring they would be back to complete the job at no further cost to us. I called Cady's this morning and spoke with Jim who took my concern and wow action took place fast. Before long Tom called and said he would be over shortly. Sure enough he arrived shortly and completed the staining. He even adjusted our front storm door so it doesn't stick. Hurrah! Nothing but the best service from Cady's Handyman Co. Once again thanks much and we have your .number for future needs. Sarah Bjorklund

Category handyman service, house painters

Thanks for this outstanding review for Cady Handyman Services. We appreciate when our customers have time to pass on their experiences with us. Our goal is to provide great service and results on your home repair projects. We are pleased that our home repair projects have met and possibly exceeded your expectations. Thanks again for working with Cady Handyman Services. Thanks.

04/12/2012

Elaine B.

Really can't say enough good things about my experience with Cady Handyman Services. After reading about them on Angie's List, I contacted the company via email and received a quick reply. Tom came out to give me a quote on the job and was professional and thorough, while also being friendly and helpful. He took pictures and was nice enough to do a little patching even before they got the job. Jim the owner was extremely helpful as he worked along with my insurance company behind the scenes. After all systems were go for the job, the work was scheduled within a couple of days. Tom came out with a young helper, Danny, and I felt comfortable around both of them. The materials they used were high quality, and they were willing to spend the time necessary to do the job right. They completed the work for the price they quoted, even though it took longer than expected because of some problems with the way my original door had been installed. They were more than willing to help with a couple of little odds and ends I needed. Afterwards, they cleaned up thoroughly and put everything together much better than it was before. I have already recommended Cady to my friends, several of whom are single ladies who need help with a variety of jobs around the house. I plan to have them build some shelving in my garage and in a closet. I see them as trustworthy, reliable, and conscientious. They take pride in their work and are fun to be around.

Description of Work
They replaced my main entry door and frame as well as the storm door. They purchased all of the necessary materials and disposed of the old door and frame. They also did a little touch-up painting and repaired the rust on my garage door.

Category handyman service, doors

Thank you very much for the referrals to your friends and all of the positive comments you share herein with the Angie's List members. We are committed to providing the most professional services in the Handyman business. Our home repairs and home maintenance projects will always be done quickly and professionally. We are happy to hear that you appreciated our services. We appreciate excellent customers like yourself. Thanks again for this opportunity to earn your current and future business. As you know, we are always working diligently on the current home repair project to earn your future business. Thanks!

04/10/2012

Michelle A.

The project went great from start to finish. The work was done professionally and in a timely fashion. The first call we made to Jim in the Cady Office was impressive and the work they did was exceptional.

Description of Work
The Cady Handyman Technicians were super helpful! The service they provided from start to finish was exceptional. We have not had much experience with hiring this type of service provider. Being new homeowners we are exited to have found a company that understands budget, pricing options and our current needs as well as future remodeling goals. These guys were all great listeners. We were able to lay out our current needs and wants. The Cady Handymen were incredibly helpful with realistic pricing for our current needs. The immediate repairs and maintenance were done professionally and for significantly less money than the other companies we called in to price our projects. The Cady Handymen very clearly operated like a local company versus the franchise providers we spoke to. They said they were going to handle our work with great care and professionalism and they did. What seemed like a small project to some was handled like a very serious project to Cady Handyman Services. They were clear with helping us define the scope of work and they were very thorough in completing the work in a timely and professional manner. As a result of how well they handled this $846.00 project, we already have commenced planning a renovation of our master bathroom. The Cady Handymen brought in a super professional architectural firm that is currently developing a plan for us. We plan to complete the plans and begin work with Cady Handyman Services in June 2012. Thanks to all of their team for following through with the promises they kept.

Category drywall, handyman service, deck cleaning, home remodeling

Thanks for this excellent review. We very much appreciate this review and the business you have done with us to date and the future projects we are about to commence. We are very pleased when we get the opportunity to work with people like you and you husband. The way you have been so clear in communicating the scope of work and the manner in which you have planned your project has been so helpful. We appreciate when you have ideas and selections prior to our project development meetings. We look forward to completing this next master bathroom remodel project for you. Thanks!

03/27/2012

Larry M.

An excellent experience. I called Jim in a panic. I explained that the crew from a tree service just left our house, having cut through our chain link fence in two places to remove three small weed trees from our yard. The problem was, that fence separates our yard from our neighbors' yard -- and their two dogs, who would be running around the yard in about six hours. I desperately wanted that fence fixed before they got home. I told Jim my story, and he promptly called one of his project managers, who left a job on the other side of town to come over and fix our fence. I couldn't have asked for better work or a nicer guy to do the repairs.

Description of Work
A representative of CADY Handyman Services repaired a chain link fence that was cut earlier in the day to remove three volunteer trees.

Category fencing, handyman service

Thanks for calling Cady Handyman Services to complete your work. We try to be available for this type of emergency call. We are pleased that this fence repair worked out so well. Please, keep us in mind when we can assist you again with future work. Our goal is to develop customer relationships that are long lasting and a good value to you. Thanks! Please call Cady Handyman Services again when we can help.

02/29/2012

DAVID W.

I was not totally happy with the final performance. After they preformed the dry wall work, the painter came to start his work. The painter explained the work was not up to specification. However, I worked with Cady Handyman over the phone to resolve the issue. They acknowledged everything was not as good as it could have been. They resolved the issue as best as they could. They even offered for someone to return and make the repairs. I declined because the painter was ready to paint the following day.

Description of Work
They installed drywall in a room in the basement I was renovating.

Category drywall, handyman service

02/15/2012

Charles B.

They were on time. I found them to be professional. I would contact them for other quotes in the future.

Description of Work
They gave me a quote for some handyman work.

Category electrician, handyman service, plumbing

02/06/2012

Gary K.

By far the worse handyman in 30 years of having rental property.

Description of Work
Regarding Cady Handyman Services: Golden Valley Minnesota Jim Carpenter A terrible experience with Cady Handyman Services. A tenant at one of my rental properties needed some repairs, Cady charged my account immediately but will not tell me what work he did. After four phone calls in trying to get an itemized list or explanation he wouldn’t tell me what work he completed. Cady Services also said I needed a new dishwasher and indicated that they replaced it but would not provide me with receipt. After 60 days of trying to get answers from Jim Carpenter I give up. Thirty years of hiring handymen Cady Handyman Services are most unprofessional and unethical handyman I ever worked with.

Category appliance repair, handyman service, plumbing

This customer called us with an emergency repair to be completed at one of his rental properties. We had a delightful conversation on the telephone. He was very pleasant, well spoken and made it clear that he was looking for a relationship with a new Handyman Company due to the fact that he could no longer work with the previous company he had done business with. This customer told us to work directly with the tenant and make the needed repairs in his building after we carefully discussed the details and the entire scope of work. We completed the work after handling all of the coordination, access and repairs with his tenant. The work was completed within the budget we discussed. We provided a new dishwasher that we picked out for him at his direction, we picked up the dishwasher and we delivered and quickly hooked up the dishwasher. We also completed other work at his direction for the tenant. All work that had been neglected for quite a long time in this residence. The tenant was incredibly relieved that the landlord had finally directed someone to complete this work as the dishwasher was a problem for a long time. Our coordination with the tenant was very smooth. Until the project was completed, our discussions with the Landlord were going just fine. There are times when this business is difficult and we may fall short with a detail on a project. This project was flawless. Our work was impeccable and our service was immediate. The customer requested a copy of the receipt, we have sent that to him (3) times along with the details of what we did being discussed on the phone. I would personally like to discuss this project with each and every person that has questions. I can be reached at 612-789-9392.

01/12/2012

Tom N.

We called Cady Handyman Services and a pleasant gentleman discussed our deck project. Cady Handyman scheduled one of his service tech to come out the follow morning. The tech arrived promptly at the scheduled time with a friendly ready to fix our problem attitude. We have raised nails and screws on our deck that always seem to reappear during winter months. These raised nails and screws made snow removal just horrible.The Cady tech recommened that we remove many of the bad loose fastners and replaced with a new non-corosive styles of screws. After a complete walk through of our project we were extremely satified. With our project completed we are now looking forward to the winter to come. With our total satisfaction with Cady Handyman Services we have again committed to them for our up coming basement project The Fosland's Bloomington, Mn.

Description of Work
we had

Category decks, handyman service, deck cleaning