Barrier Construction LLC

Founded 1961 • With Angi since February 2006

Angie's Super Service award in 2016 and 2017. Stucco Moisture Intrusion Specialist. In addition, we are a full service exterior design and renovation contractor servicing the entire Twin Cities & surrounding areas. We specialize in James Hardie Siding, all major window and door brands. Our jobs

Front Facelift

202055427
Front facelift with stone and James Hardie Lap siding. New Front entry door and windows.
Front Facelift project

Front Facelift

Stucco Tear Off project

Stucco Tear Off

View project

stucco (41)siding companies (26)window replacement (17)woodworking (13)mold removal (10)water damage restoration (8)house painting (6)decks & porches (6)home remodeling (5)general contractors (5)gutter repair (4)electrician (4)

10/16/2022

JOHN U.

Matt was a poor communicator and unpleasant to work with in the proposal process. He provided a 30-page proposal but it was not clear how much the balcony repair would cost, because he had added several components to the project in other parts of the exterior that were not in the initial scope. When I asked him some follow-up questions on the balcony work, he accused me of asking "loaded questions" and of "shopping around" for the job. He seemed to think providing a 30-page proposal would result in my blindly trusting him with a project priced 2-3x the other proposals. And he really showed his true colors in his rude responses to me over email. Steer very clear!

Description of Work
Beam replacement on cantilevered balcony

Category decks, water damage restoration, stucco, mold removal

Work Completed On 05/25/2022

07/16/2022

Zach B.

The Barrier team did not disappoint. They are the most professional contractors we have ever worked with - we trust them completely to deliver against the proposed budget and the work itself. Plus they are great people! Always pleasant, respectful and diligent in their work. We love the results and will continue to turn to them for future projects.

Description of Work
Siding installation

Category custom cabinets, siding, stucco

Work Completed On 06/27/2022

10/13/2021

Susan B.

Barrier did a great job. They were skilled and helpful in solving an existing problem and preventing future problems. We are happy with their work and professionalism. As the first step, Matt came to our home to explain in layman's language why the house had a moisture problem and how the remediation process works. We totally understood the scope of the project and what to expect. Barrier sent their own crews for different aspects of the job. We were always told by the office manager who was coming and when they were arriving. We had an excellent project lead and leaders for the crews. The job site was cleaned up every night. Communication was easy. As situations came up, we were able to talk to or email Barrier employees and get prompt responses and solutions.

Description of Work
Stucco remediation due to moisture

Category replacement windows, stucco, house painters

Work Completed On 10/13/2021

We are pleased to hear that you were happy with your project done by Barrier! We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback! Thank you for being such great clients to work with and we appreciate the business!

05/18/2020

David H.

Very well, got the work done just as they said it would and within estimate given. Great attention to keeping client informed of schedule and progress.

Description of Work
Water intrusion work on stucco home

Category woodworking, mold removal

Work Completed On 05/08/2020

Thanks for being so great to work with. We appreciate your business!

05/07/2020

Anissa M.

We hired Barrier Construction to take care of some stucco issues and repair some structural damage on our house. They were great to work with. They were able to deal with both the structural issues AND the stucco issues, while all other companies we spoke to only dealt with one or the other (meaning we would have to hire and coordinate multiple contractors) and they did a great job. They even noticed and corrected some cosmetic issues (for al fee) that another company had created when working on the house. (They were a mild annoyance whenever we looked at the house but would have been a big lift for us to fix ourselves, and we appreciated their proactive approach when we felt the other company had been fairly neglectful and inattentive to detail in their work). While other general contractors we’ve worked with have been difficult to get ahold of or generally haven’t felt very ‘present’, Barrier was easy to communicate with, they kept us updated, were very responsive, and answered all of our questions. We would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Exterior stucco and siding work

Category siding, stucco

Work Completed On 05/07/2020

Thank you for your review, and we are happy to hear that you had a great experience! We appreciate your business!

02/25/2020

Peter H.

Barrier Construction did an amazing job on our home. From diagnosing the frame rot that was going on behind our cedar siding, to the repair, and presentation of the final product. They did an amazing job of laying out the steps that were involved and the options that were available. I know the job was done correctly providing peace of mind that I will not experience issues in the future.

Description of Work
Water restoration and rot abatement

Category decks, siding, water damage restoration, replacement windows

Work Completed On 02/14/2020

We are happy to hear that you are a satisfied customer! We appreciate your business, thank you!

10/30/2018

PETE/CINDY D.

If your stucco home was built around 1990, and fails a stucco inspection with several points of high moisture readings, you fear the repair work can easily cost $60 K and much more because the damage is likely hidden. I had several contractors look at the job and nobody could/would handle the job to take care of the window, repair frame work and re-stucco and match existing stucco. Matt Roach of Barrier Construction quoted the project with the promise that his staff would do all the work and only need to deal with one company and satisfy the inspection findings. From the first day Barrier's crew started the job, my wife and I knew right then we had hired the best company. The crew was so professional in every way, soon felt almost almost like family, and were truly craftsmen in their job skills. Barrier turned what could have been a nightmare into a solution that was more than fair from a cost standpoint to an absolute gem of a finished project. We can not say again how great the crews were and Barrier staff support.

Description of Work
Remove and replace huge 8 foot by 8 ft 6 pane window, remove, rebuild and re-stucco outside wall and chimney that was substantially damaged by water intrusion behind stucco.

Work Completed On 10/30/2018

[Member Name Removed] and [Member Name Removed], It was fantastic to work with you on this project! We are glad you're pleased with our work. Thanks again for choosing Barrier Construction.

10/30/2018

Lonni M.

We have used Barrier Construction for 3 different house projects and we've always been very satisfied on the work we have had done. On our kitchen remodel we had 3 different companies quote us. Barrier came in and showed us the costs upfront and it was very reasonable. We found them to be very professional in their communication with us (both responsive to any concerns we had as well as proactive in letting us know what was happening when), they did excellent high quality work and we LOVE the final product. Our kitchen is beautiful and we were 15% under budget!!

Description of Work
Kitchen Remodel

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/30/2018

Review for Barrier Construction LLC - 7100 Madison Ave W, Golden Valley, MN - 37517148

Thanks for choosing us! It was a pleasure to work with you again.

09/27/2018

Daniel P.

I did not receive a courtesy of a call to say yes or no. Its been over four weeks since my request on Angie's list.

Description of Work
Stucco work

Work Completed On 09/01/2018

06/08/2018

Scott P.

It truly was a wonderful experience working with Josh and the team. Being a son of a contractor my expectation was high and Barrier Construction delivered an excellent product. Highly professional and extremely responsive from day one.

Description of Work
Master suite Framing

Category contractors, remodeling

Work Completed On 06/08/2018

10/21/2017

Justin W.

Everything was replaced with high quality parts. The team even came up with recommendations to help re-route water from rain / snow so that water intrusion doesn't happen again.

Description of Work
Matt and his team did an amazing job with taking care of our stucco work. We had water intrusion issues that built up over time which prevented us from selling our house and his team came in very quickly - identified what needed to be fixed and repaired the damage.

Work Completed On 10/21/2017

10/03/2017

Gary J.

Communication was excellent and very responsive. Workers were all courteous and professional at all times. Did was they said they were going to do.

Description of Work
Demolition and rebuild of water damaged area on the front side of the house.

Category contractors, water damage restoration, replacement windows, stucco

Work Completed On 09/06/2017

10/03/2017

David H.

Fantastic! Matt and his team were punctual each day. Their work was superior and they kept the entire job site neat and orderly!

Description of Work
Stucco repair.

Category woodworking, stucco

Work Completed On 06/12/2017

07/03/2017

Bruce C.

The staff at Barrier are extremely professional and the quality of their workmanship is excellent. They were very accommodating and kept me advised on the overall schedule. Matt, Jamie, Josh and the team provide a great deal of confidence that the work will be done right. I'm a very detailed person and thrilled with the end result.

Description of Work
The team from Barrier has built a deck and several home remodeling projects including bathroom renovations at my home. In addition, they recently did a whole house remodel at my daughters 70's rambler which included taking down walls, moving a staircase, a new kitchen, expanded master bath, new insulation, updated electrical, plumbing and built a deck.

Category custom cabinets, contractors, ceramic tile, decks, drywall, electrician, remodeling, siding, woodworking, home remodeling

Work Completed On 06/08/2017

Review for Barrier Construction LLC - 7100 Madison Ave W, Golden Valley, MN - 35378240

12/06/2016

John N.

I've completed two projects with Sunset and Barrier Exteriors. The first project was an attempt to repair my stucco walls in the areas where testing showed water damage. After that project didn't go as planned, I hired Barrier to remove all my stucco and replace it with Hardie siding. The nature of the stucco repair process is that it is impossible to know what is under the stucco or what it will cost to repair in total. It's also practically impossible to match stucco perfectly. Sunset/Barrier will advise you to take those risks seriously in considering your options, and you should. On my project, Sunset/Barrier did a great job on the work they performed, but the demolition revealed far more moisture damage than the testing originally showed. Sunset/Barrier was very fair with me throughout that very challenging process. When it was finally determined that there was simply too much damage to continue with the repair strategy, they gave me a very fair proposal to re-side the house that took into consideration the work that they had already done for me. A big part of the stucco tear-off and replacement process is repairing the damaged areas where water damage has occurred. Even where there is no existing damage, the housewrap and flashing details under the siding are as important than the siding itself to preventing water damage to a house. Barrier has excellent carpenters who do this work. In addition to doing great work, the crew is thoughtful and professional. I reviewed their work almost every day and was consistently impressed. The siding installation went smoothly and looks great. Sunset/Barrier was consistent and fair throughout the process. My house looks fantastic -- I've had a lot of compliments on the new look. I have recommended Sunset/Barrier them to friends and neighbors for siding projects and will do so in the future. They are excellent to work with and I'm glad I had them on my project.

Description of Work
Complete tear-off of my stucco exterior (moisture damage) and replacement with James Hardie siding

Category siding, stucco

Work Completed On 08/12/2016

Review for Barrier Construction LLC - 7100 Madison Ave W, Golden Valley, MN - 34073873

09/14/2016

Karen E.

From beginning to end Barrier/Sunset demonstrated professionalism and respectfulness. Matt clearly explained in detail what the project would encompass. Jamie then walked us through the financial aspect, patiently answering all our questions. As the work progressed, the crew kept us informed about the various stages of the project. They responded to all our concerns and offered many insightful suggestions. Josh made sure every detail was addressed and the workmanship was excellent. Every day the crew left the site neat and clean. When unexpected issues arose, Barrier/Sunset provided us a quote for the additional work, then gave us the option on whether or not to proceed. They completed the project on time and within budget. Because of Barrier/Sunset we now have confidence in the structural integrity of our home. They are a rare gem in the construction business and we consider ourselves fortunate to have worked with them.

Description of Work
We hired Barrier/Sunset Construction to remediate the moisture damage in our home that was rotting due to faulty construction practices when it was built 15 years ago. They did a complete tear-off on two sides of the house, a retrofit remediation on the other two sides, then re-stuccoed the exterior.

Category decks, siding, water damage restoration, replacement windows, woodworking, stucco

Work Completed On 01/11/2015

08/07/2016

katy G.

Matt Roch the president of the company, Josh, the project manager and their team did an outstanding job. It was a pleasure to work with them. They were competent, honest and very nice people. I highly recommend the company . One of the best to work with

Description of Work
Sunset construction group, Inc. Did complete removal and replacement of the exterior of our house last year due to moisture issue. This was a big project

Category siding, water damage restoration, replacement windows, stucco

Work Completed On 08/31/2015

09/21/2015

Jamie J.

Like any very large and involved project there were ups and downs. Things did happen that were not to our immediate satisfaction(initially the siding was delivered in a very inconvenient place on our driveway, weather caused some delays) but each time Barrier (specifically Anna our account manager) handled the issues to our satisfaction. The window and siding installation was done very well and with a high degree of quality. All of the workers were respectful of our home and cognizant of the impact they were having. The cleanup was satisfactory.

Description of Work
Remove old windows and install all new windows, remove old siding and install new James Hardie siding.

Category siding, replacement windows

Work Completed On 07/08/2015

11/04/2014

Steven W.

My experience with Sunset was excellent. I dealt directly with Matt Roach, the President. Matt was punctual, efficient and professional. He was extremely thorough in his estimate and did a fantastic job of identifying and explaining alternative ways to approach my project. At the end, I had two great options and ended up selecting another provider. It was an extremely difficult decision and the tie-breaker was the other provider had a somewhat lower price. I felt bad not selecting Sunset. I am not a "price first" buyer, but that ever-so-slightly tipped the scales between two excellent choices. Matt's service was top notch and professional in every way. He will remain on my short list for future projects and I would highly recommend him.

Description of Work
After screening for many potential providers to do some stucco, siding and window repairs on my house, I narrowed the field to three, including Sunset. Sunset provided a timely, thorough, detailed, competitive estimate.

Category electrician, siding, replacement windows, stucco

Work Completed On 07/10/2014

09/09/2014

Amy C.

Very responsive and highly professional. Matt drew up a plan and explained why and how the work would be done as well as offering several options for materials. The tradesman that worked at our home introduced himself via email and phone contact information and provided us with specific steps and time parameters - excellent communication. He worked within our timeline and coordinated with our landscapers. It was reassuring having Sunset work on our home; quality craftsmanship done right.

Description of Work
Remove siding and prep foundation area with plate for retaining wall and new grade to improve drainage. Returned upon completion of landscaping project to install new siding, caulk and complete.

Category siding

Work Completed On 08/10/2014

08/05/2014

Keith W.

We had several firms from Angie's List come out to look at our project, and were very disappointed in the service and communications from the other firms. Mike Roach, however, was very responsive, courteous and efficient. He assessed our needs and was prompt in returning a bid to us. Best of all, he was able to complete the work within a week of our accepting the bid. Very professional, appreciate his communications and would highly recommend.

Description of Work
General stucco repairs and installation of gutter kickout's to help prevent future ice dams.

Category gutter repair, stucco

Work Completed On 08/04/2014

07/10/2014

Andrew B.

They had a total of four employees come out and it took a couple of weeks to complete due to the drying of the stucco. You will get good workers. They didn't give a good heads up when showing up but it didn't cause any problems. This is a relevant problem with any construction company though.

Description of Work
They did some general carpentry work and redid the stucco on a side of my house.

Category woodworking, stucco