Mr. Handyman of Greater Grand Rapids

Founded 2003 • With Angi since November 2009

3508-B Roger B. Chaffee Memorial Blvd. SE

Grand Rapids, MI 49548

Locally owned business with professional technicians that have at least 15 paid experience in the various trades. Because our technicians are our employees, they have current liability insurance, have had background checks and are bonded for your security. We guarantee our work. Our experienced technicians wear uniforms and drive company vehicles that are stocked with some basic hardware items to minimize last minute trips to the store....

01/25/2019

steve W.

It took 3 days for them to respond, requesting me to call via email. The representative was then very clear on company policy / cost ... no free estimates and over $100 an hour for a single worker. The justification was that all their employees are licensed professionals ... but way too rich for me without the ability to get an estimate before hiring someone so expensive.

Description of Work
Drywall work ... repair and finishing

Category drywall, handyman service

12/28/2018

Susan S.

Great! This door will last a LONG time. After many trying to fux this door and failed. Now it is done correctly.

Description of Work
Reinstall of bi-fold doors

Category closet systems, handyman service

11/15/2017

Eddie L.

Horrible...took the technician nearly 3 hours to fix the toilet (same work I've completed before in ~1 hour)...and chipped the electric fireplace. The company did deduct the cost of the fireplace from my total bill. $222.00 after the ~ $190.00 deduction for the fireplace damage.

Description of Work
Replaced toilet seal and flushing mechanism, and wall-mounted an electric fireplace.

Category handyman service

We are glad that you acknowledged our efforts to make things right for you. We're frustrated that even after we bought your fireplace for you and after you told us that you were satisfied with the resolution, you still chose to complain online. The broken toilet flange repairs were not the same as a one hour repair you've completed before. Three hours to install the fireplace and to fix the toilet. It's a shame that we gave you the money back that you asked for, considering how you've responded. Please note although we did accidentally damage the fireplace unit, we reimbursed the entire purchase price of the unit per the customer's request. Read our other reviews for a more fair assessment of our professional service.

10/23/2017

Rebecca T.

They were able to come out the same day I called and return the following day to fix it. I was extremely thankful as I had flooring coming in at the end of the week.

Description of Work
I needed a section of my subfloor replaced.

Category flooring contractor, handyman service

Thank you for taking the time to give a review of your experience with our professional technicians. We are focused on a high level of customer service so we are happy to hear that we met the mark!

09/25/2017

anne J.

My handyman, shopped, for paint supplies, got solid wooden doors, made sure of hinges. he then worked in 90 degree weather, got sun burned and after 8.5 hours , my doors were painted and perfectly hung. He worked, stopping for one short break. I could not be happier with the outcome. I would definitely use and recommend this service again.

Description of Work
I needed shed doors measured, purchased, replaced, painted, and hung.

Category handyman service, house painters

We are pleased to hear about your experience with our professional service! Thanks for taking the time to let others know about us.

08/16/2017

Ryan C.

It was a great experience, they showed up on time and job was done in a couple of hours. They called back immediately during the quoting process. Overall a good experience. The price was a little high, but they were excellent.

Description of Work
Installed a 240 volt

08/15/2017

Toney S.

Took too long to come out even after I provided materials.

Description of Work
Too pricy for work performed.

Category handyman service

We completed this job on July 17, 2017. We recognize that all customers would like to have a quick resolution to their repair and maintenance concerns, and that it is even more impactful in a commercial environment like this was; however, tradespeople are extremely busy these days (our business is too) and we worked diligently to provide this service and keep the customer informed during the process. The cost was not different from our initial estimate, so if price had really been an issue, I believe that the customer would not have scheduled the service call. This customer also did not indicate any concerns with quality or professionalism in our follow-up. Please see our other reviews.

07/20/2017

Steve D.

On time, very professional, awesome job and cleaned up well when he was done. Would definitely hire again.

Description of Work
We had bathroom fan installed, Larry did a great job putting vent through the roof.

Category contractors, handyman service

We appreciate your feedback! Quality work and customer service are high priorities for our professional service. We look forward to the next project on your "to do" list!

05/02/2017

Monte B.

Required a deposit prior to work performed. Declined.

Description of Work
roof repair

Category handyman service

We are disappointed to read this comment. We do not require a deposit prior to work. Also, we do not perform roof repairs. Please see reviews from customers who have used our professional service.

04/19/2017

Gregory A.

It well very well. Very professional.

Description of Work
Basic stuff

Category handyman service, doors

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy to hear about your experience. It is kind of you to take time to post your comments about our professional service!

03/28/2017

Donna W.

very well, timely but worked quickly, cleaned up afterwards and very efficient.

Description of Work
new storm door and back door

Category handyman service, doors

We appreciate your comments and we're glad to hear about your experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our professional service!

03/23/2017

Jeff B.

I'm extremely happy. Their responsiveness was very good. I'm happy with everything. It all went well.

Description of Work
....

12/27/2016

Renita H.

The repairman did a good job. I highly recommend.

Description of Work
I needed to have the toliet grounded to the floor. The toliet was leaking water into the basement. Another company said the toliet couldn't be grounded without making a flooring fix. The other company wanted to charge me over $1,400 but Mr. Handyman was able to fix the toliet and complete the work done for $157.

Category handyman service

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with our professional service! We look forward to assisting you with your next project list.

12/09/2016

Nicholas P.

A carpenter came out promptly, offered good ideas and within a few days had a bid in. We agreed to move forward. Since then, calls and emails were only returned by the supervisor, who prompted us to contact the carpenter, but frequent calls have resulted in no response. The supervisor still responds, but is unable to get the work done for us.

Description of Work
Called for estimate on exterior wall for a large garage sometime in August 2016.

Category handyman service

We are disappointed in this review which specifically notes lack of responsiveness. We met with this client on three different occasions regarding the project in addition to telephone conversations. Each time our technician arrived to begin work, the customer had changed his mind about how to proceed and asked us for a new bid. Customer service and technical expertise is critical to our success. Please read further for our many excellent reviews.

11/07/2016

Cynthia M.

Smoothly. Work was professionally done in a timely manner.

Description of Work
Cabinet raised to fit new, taller refrigerator.

Category handyman service, woodworking

Great to hear about your experience with our professional service! Thank you for taking the time to let others know about how we work.

07/08/2016

Anita E.

Timely service. Molding was purchased for the perimeter of the tile at the carpet line. The installer drilled through both the wood molding AND the tile pieces. I went downstairs to check the work and caught him after he had drilled through three tiles. I had checked the placement of the square tiles for color and pattern. I did not expect him to drill through the tile for the molding. It was made right but 1/3 of my second choice tiles had to be used and they did not coordinate as well as the the ones I had initially chosen that he drilled through.!

Description of Work
Ceramic tile placed by door in otherwise carpeted room.

Category handyman service

We do not have any record of performing service for this customer in our system and are working with Angie's List to have the review moved to the appropriate service provider. Please read further for our other excellent reviews and call our office to find out more about our experienced insured professional technicians. We are committed to customer satisfaction as demonstrated by our many Super Service Awards.

10/28/2015

Gwendolyn U.

This was my first experience with Mr. Handyman, but I'm sure it won't be the last. As a single homeowner with a busy work schedule, I have a pretty narrow window for getting home repairs done, and the list keeps growing and growing. Usually, things don't get done until they become somewhat of an emergency, and that's what happened with my garbage disposal. It hadn't been working for some time, but I just ignored it (who has time to cook anyway?), until this weekend when it stopped draining altogether. After consulting Google and trying a few things unsuccessfully, I submitted an online request for service from Mr. Handyman on Monday night. By Tuesday at lunch time, they called me back to schedule an appointment for the next day (which happens to be my only day off during the week). The phone experience was extremely efficient and friendly. This morning they called to let me know that they had had a cancellation, so that they could come early, which at first didn't work for me, but when my schedule unexpectedly changed, I called back, and they were more than accommodating, and I was able to have Ron come to my home early. They called when he was on his way, and he was able to fix the problem in mere minutes. Not only did he fix what turned out to be a very simple issue, he didn't make me feel silly for not being able to fix it myself, and showed me what to do if it happens again, and even left me with the right tool to use if I need it in the future! He apologized for having to charge me for a full hour, and offered to look at any other projects I might have. He gave me some good advice on some lighting issues in my living room. I'm sure I'll be calling them again for the rest of my to-do- list!

Description of Work
Repair jammed/clogged garbage disposal

Category handyman service, lighting, plumbing

How nice to hear that our efforts at providing superior customer service hit the mark again! We appreciate the time you took to let us know that our professional service was a great value to you. We look forward to your next call.

10/06/2015

Julie Ann B.

Ron arrived early and got on the list promptly. He made some additional recommendations at my request and his input was greatly appreciated, espcecially when a plumbing question was about galvinized pipe. I like that he was comfortable telling me what was beyond his capcity to tackle, and the recommendation to delay a deck repair until more favorable weather conditions. After the repairs, everything was cleaned up spick and span.

Description of Work
Straightened and secured damaged aluminium siding, reapired a kitchen light fixture, realigned a storm door and patched some concrete in the foundation.

Category concrete repair, handyman service, lighting, plumbing, deck cleaning, doors

We truly appreciate your effort in letting other members know about our professional services. Our employees are experienced, insured and interested in providing top notch customer service. We look forward to assisting you with the deck in the spring!

09/27/2015

Gwendolyn R.

I had a long list of "honey-do" type tasks that needed completing. None of them required a specialist so I searched Angie's List for handymen and found Mr. Handyman. The company sent Ron, who turned out to be a real gem. He removed the truly hideous and ancient vertical blinds, installed three curtain rods, a security bar for my sliding patio door, two safety grab bars in the bathroom, and placed wall hangars for a 30-pound mirror. Since the company charges by the hour, I worried that the handyman would try to stretch out the time, so that I would have to pay more. However, Ron completed these tasks in two hours, which I thought was the appropriate time. After I finish my next honey-do list I will definitely use Mr. Handyman again.

Description of Work
Completed various home repair tasks.

Category handyman service, window treatments

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you had a great experience with our professional technician. Our experienced technicians are efficient and reliable. We look forward to hearing from you with the next list!

09/21/2015

Robert Z.

I let him know what I was looking to have done and he gave his input and everything was performed correctly as far as i'm concerned. They were honest.

Description of Work
He handled home repairs for me.

Category handyman service

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to other Angie members! We appreciate your business and are glad that our professional technician demonstrated expertise and honesty. We strive to provide the best customer service through good communication and efficient work. We look forward t assisting you again in the future.

09/06/2015

Sharon F.

He came out to clean our gutters and found we didn't have debris in them. Since I was paying for a service call anyways we decided to have him tear down ivy off our chimney. He worked very hard and and was able to get the ivy down. I would hire this company again. The only problem I have is how they charge the customer. It worked out for me in my situation. The guy was there about two hours.

Description of Work
Came out to clean gutters, but ended up taking the ivy done from our chimney.

Category gutter cleaning, handyman service

We are happy that you were pleased with our experienced professional technician. Because we only hire full time experienced professionals, we know that we can guarantee their work and that they are efficient with each project. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we look forward to helping with you next project list.

07/24/2015

Steven H.

I had an issue, but it was quickly resolved.

Description of Work
an estimate

Category contractors, handyman service, woodworking

Thank your for taking our follow up phone call so that we could resolve your concerns. Communication is key to our focus on customer service. Our customers value the professionals that we employ and we look forward to assisting you with your projects.

06/28/2015

James L.

We had some plumbing issues and the Plumber had to cut a hole in the wall to reach the pipes they had to replace. So we then had a large hole in the bedroom wall. As we did not want to wait a long time for this to be repaired and I had the week off from work so I could get the room painted real fast and as I knew Mr. handyman could get the job done is a short amount of time I call MR Handyman of Grand Rapids. And just as I had thought they would be able to have the hole fixed in a very short amount of time. While it took 3 trips the hole was fixed and the work done was very good, One complaint I will make is that there is a charge for each trip to your house. And you have to pay for ever day. So that make the price rather high for the work done, Bottom line good job but rather expensive

Description of Work
Repaired large hole in wall.

Category drywall, handyman service, plumbing, interior painters

We appreciate the time it takes to post a review and are happy that you see the value of our service. Drywall repair projects usually do require us to drive to your home more that one time. Our professional technicians collect for their labor each. Efficient and experienced technicians are our employees and we are happy that have acknowledged this. We look forward to providing service again to you in the future.

06/08/2015

Janet S.

I was impressed by the quick response from the Mr. Handyman office after sending my initial request for service. Within a day they had us scheduled for early the next week. It was helpful that the same person could repair our foundation issue as well as install the light fixture, saving us from the cost of hiring 2 different professionals. John arrived promptly at 8:00 a.m. as scheduled, and worked efficiently, showing me what he was doing throughout to make sure I agreed. The issue wasn't exactly where we thought it was, and he did a good job of investigating other possibilities and adapting his repair based on that. Hopefully it will work! Update - When John installed the light fixture, he showed me where 2 of the globes didn't fit correctly, said there was a defect. I made a trip to the lighting store where I purchased the fixture, asking about getting replacements, and they told me it wasn't a matter of fit, but the way he put it together. She showed me in the instructions where the part he said didn't fit was supposed to go - inside the globe as a spacer, not on top of it. I know he saw the instructions because he gave them to me for reference. Apparently he didn't look at them. So I had to go back and fix all the ones he hung improperly as well as install the remaining ones. Frustrating when we paid money to have an "expert" do it right. Update 6/18 - After posting my update regarding the incorrect light fixture installation, I received a call from the Mr. Handyman office. The person I spoke with assured me customer satisfaction was very important to them, and after asking a few more questions, asked what she could do to make our experience "right." She offered to reimburse part of the service cost, which felt very fair. Today I received a check in the mail, as well as a coupon for future services. I would use Mr. Handyman again, especially after their quick resolution and concern for a positive customer experience.

Description of Work
Investigated and filled foundation gap that was allowing pests into basement storage room. Also installed replacement bathroom vanity light fixture.

Category handyman service, lighting, home remodeling

Thank you for commenting specifically why you like our service! We strive to be responsive, efficient and accurate in everything we do.

03/31/2015

Jordan C.

Bob was great! He removed the cabinet and built in the filler piece and it fit the dishwasher perfectly.

Description of Work
Removed kitchen cabinet and built cubby in preparation for dishwasher

Category handyman service

Thank you for making the effort to let other members know about our professional technician services. Our technicians are experienced carpenters and we appreciate your feedback. We look forward to providing you service again!