First Impression Hardscapes

Founded 2010 • With Angi since May 2010

7154 Montevideo

Jessup, MD 20794

First Impression Hardscapes is the premier hardscape artisan in the D.C. metro area, serving Maryland and Washington D.C. We take a custom approach to designing your driveway, walkway, patio, or pool deck in elegant flagstone or stunning, durable pavers. First Impression’s will turn your hardscape fantasies into a First Impression reality! - OUR MISSION: To provide lifestyle changing hardscapes that are aesthetically pleasing, durable, and have eternal value. - OUR VISION: To be the leading hardscape installer in Maryland and Washington D.C. by becoming home and property owners’ first choice for all of their hardscape needs. - OUR HISTORY: First Impression Hardscapes has over 20 years combined experience in serving the D.C. metro area. Our quality of construction is second to none, and we also pride ourselves in having superior customer relations. All of our crews are completely “in house”; we do not use sub-contractors. We are licensed and insured for all of your hardscape needs. No matter how large or small, we are pleased to transform your hardscape fantasies into a First Impression reality! -- Additional email: info@firsthardscapes.com....

hardscaping (107)Patios (35)lawn & landscaping (23)concrete repair (20)stone & gravel (17)masonry (11)decks & porches (11)concrete driveways (10)drain pipe installation (6)landscape lighting (4)mulch delivering (2)electrician (2)

02/04/2021

Katie M.

They were professional and responsive with the estimate.

Description of Work
Hardscaping.

Work Completed On 02/04/2021

07/27/2020

Randy S.

This was one of the best experiences we have ever had with a contractor. They were on site the date promised, and worked diligently every day until the job was complete. John Morgado - Director of Ops was on site every day and was very attentive to the changes we made along the way. We couldn't be more happy with the final product. Thanks to all of the people that were involved at FIH to make this happen...

Description of Work
New Hardscape Patio, Outdoor Chimney, and replace walkway.

Category concrete repair, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 07/27/2020

09/22/2019

Tamara B.

The company was very professional and did a FANTASTIC job. They had to start completely over which meant a demo of the previous job. One day, they started later than expected and stayed WELL past 5 to finish the job...even when it started to RAIN for several minutes. I will definitely hire this company for any future projects!

Description of Work
The company needed to complete an unfinished project.

Category hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 09/22/2019

First Impression Hardscapes would like to *Thank You* for your wonderful review on Angie's List. It was a pleasure working with you and we look forward to working with you again in the future! Enjoy the new addition to your home!

08/26/2019

Christopher K.

AVOID! Please read my review and be careful before you hire First Impressions Hardscapes. This review will be kept brief, if you want more info, please email me. I have a long driveway with a culvert, 2 pipes going under the driveway. I hired First Impressions Hardscapes to repair the erosion that was beginning to erode under one of the pipes and around the entrance and exit of the pipes. The workers from First Impression Hardscapes came and did all work as promised and all looked good when complete. While working on the culvert First Impression Hardscapes parked their trucks on my lawn and after they left the tires left deep grooves. I called to complain. First Impression Hardscapes workers returned a couple days later and I watched as they kicked leaves in the grooves to fill and try tocover up the grooves. Not one shovel or any tool, just them kicking leaves. I called to complain a 2nd time and was told they would send some one out again, never happened. Weeks later I went out with a shovel and repaired the damage myself. Than we had some heavy rains and that's when the real problems started. The rains in following weeks washed out and ruined the repairs First Impression Hardscapes did to the culvert. I called them and sent photos of what had happened to their repairs. We went back and forth for months...for many months! Finally, First Impression Hardscapes told me they where not going to come back because, the damage was an 'act of God'. READ First Impression Hardscapes contract very carefully, any damage after they leave can easily be called 'an act of God', never thought it would happen to me but, it did. First Impression Hardscapes also claimed they did the work to a once in a 100 year rain standards, noope. The rains where heavy but, once in 100 year heavy rains, no. The work First Impression Hardscapes did was no where near once in a 100 year standards, and that claim was laughable! So, the culvert waits and continues to erode until, I figure what to do next. You have been warned about First Impression Hardscapes from someone who hired and paid them good money. (Be weary of whatever First Impression Hardscapes responds with below, they strung me along for close to a year only claim 'act of god') Best of luck with all your projects.

Description of Work
Repair to culvert

Category drain pipe

Work Completed On 12/25/2019

10/27/2018

Theresa N.

It didn’t happen because apparently the job was too small

Description of Work
Stone wall repair

Work Completed On 10/27/2018

07/23/2018

Ann H.

They came and promised an estimate in 2 days, but no estimate 10 days later.

Description of Work
masonry repairs to walkway and patio

Work Completed On 07/23/2018

Hello Ms. [Member Name Removed], First I would like to apologize for the experience you had. I would like to please ask you to give us the chance to speak with you to clarify what had happened and if possible provide you with the estimate expected. I usually have all the costumer information of all of our appointments but I can not find yours which makes me wonder if it was one of our representatives you met before. Please feel free to contact us at your convenience at our office # 410.799.0299. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you soon. Manuela or Karen

07/12/2018

Jeffrey P.

The work quality was first rate. Would have appreciated them being more responsive to my emails and calls.

Description of Work
Removed cracked concrete stairs and walkway and replaced with new staircase and pavers walkway

Category hardscaping

Thank you so much for your nice review and for taking the time to share your experience with us. All First Impression Hardscapes staff are very happy to be a part of the improving of your home. Hopefully we will have the chance to provide you with our services again in the future!

06/13/2018

benjamin K.

Looks great and job finished ahead of schedule.

Description of Work
paver patio, wood stairs, and masonry

Work Completed On 06/13/2018

12/31/2017

Christopher K.

On my shared driveway I noticed the concrete culvert was beginning to erode and shift. The crew came when scheduled to repair the culvert. The drainage area needed to be reshaped and have stone added to help with erosion issues. A cement footing was created to help hold up the concrete tubes and than concrete was packed in around the tubes help hold them in place. The job took several days to complete. I am very satisfied with the overall work. There was a lot of work put in to make the finished job look good and it does look good. I am giving a B for quality because the trucks they parked on my yard left large ruts in my yard. I watched the workers kick leaves over the ruts to hide them. When I complained they sent some one back to fix the ruts. That some one came back and with his foot kicked the top of ruts off, jumped back in the truck and left. I still have ruts that I will fix with my shovel and rake in spring. Such a shame. I will defiantly use them again in the future.

Description of Work
Drainage culvert needed repair.

Work Completed On 12/31/2017

10/06/2017

BARRY R.

Exceeded our expectations - they were meticulous! They did a beautiful job and without hesitation highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Installed pavers along walkways and driveway from my house..

Work Completed On 10/06/2017

07/13/2017

Michele L K.

Best money I ever spent on a home project!!! Better than I could have imagined.

Description of Work
Replace concrete steps and relay patio flagstone

Category concrete repair, pavers, gravel, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

Work Completed On 07/13/2017

06/12/2017

Robert M.

Extremely pleased with the work performed. They had a large crew working the hardscape in sections, making the job go quickly They expanded the scope of work, with out added cost, to include cleaning and re-sanding an adjacent paver walk to match the work performed on the pool deck. Highly recommend using them!

Description of Work
Replace concrete block retaining wall, repair and re-sand pavers, replace composite decking

Category decks, hardscaping

Work Completed On 06/12/2017

06/08/2017

Josephine W.

They were amazing. I mean it really looks good. I think that if I paid less, it might not have looked quite as good. They were really professionals that knew what they were doing. The way they did the retaining wall just looks really really nice. I would give them higher than an A in some way. They were so nice. There were so many of them, and they worked so fast. They were experts. The salesman was also excellent because he took into part what I was trying to convey, and he designed it. He kept showing me, and we kept sort of tweaking it. You want that. They were punctual. They were scheduled for a week or so later, and I called and asked if they could come earlier because they had an opening in their schedule. They like to keep their crews working constantly, and I had really wanted it done as soon as possible. So I agreed. They came and they were right on time. They worked very hard. They always cleaned up after themselves. I mean so many leave a mess or leave a part of it undone. Plus, it just exceeded my expectations of how it looked in the end.

Description of Work
They did a flagstone patio for me. They also did a retaining wall and curved three stairs up.

Work Completed On 09/15/2016

06/08/2017

Charles G Aboyoun A.

They did an excellent job. We have referred them to several people and they have been very happy.

Description of Work
I used First Impression Hardscapes for pavers. They did the front walkway and also put a circle kit on the back patio. They replaced the whole thing -- the back patio.

Work Completed On 04/15/2013

First Impression Hardscapes would like to *Thank You* for your wonderful review on Angie's List. It was a pleasure working with you! Enjoy the new addition to your home!

05/26/2017

Tasha W.

The person they sent was friendly but the estimate was to high for what I wanted to do. I would recommend them.

Description of Work
They came out for an estimate but they couldn't help me.

Work Completed On 04/22/2017

Ms. [Member Name Removed], Thank you for your kind review and wonderful grading here on Angie's List. We understand that this kind of work can be pricey but we also believe that it's possible we made and error on our end. If you would like, we'd be happy to send out a different designer to look over the work you originally requested to make sure you were given a fair estimate. If that sounds like something you would be interested in, please let us know by calling us at our office at (410) 799-0299. Thank you for your time and best of luck to you!

05/22/2017

Robert S.

Existing plants (azaleas and iris) were moved and replaced without a problem. Carefully worked around old wisteria vine without issues. Wall was installed exactly as expected. Encountered unexpected problems with plugged existing drainage pipes which needed to be replaced. This was done at a minimum of extra cost and the replaced drainage system was better than the one originally in place. This understandably delayed completion of project by about a week which was otherwise on time and within budget. Staff was pleasant, knowledgeable and accessible. I definitely would use them again.

Description of Work
Replaced treated wood retaining wall with brick wall with stone weather cap.

Category concrete repair, landscaping, masonry, pavers, gravel, drain pipe, hardscaping

Work Completed On 05/01/2017

05/01/2017

chris K.

After, they left, i did not see a dead/fallen leaf in my yard, flower bed or driveway. very good job!

Description of Work
Fall clean up

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 01/01/2017

03/26/2017

Erik A.

Did not hire since I could not even get a quote

Description of Work
I couldn't get a timely quote after waiting nearly two and a half months! The contractor visited our property on January 30 for a quote. After I didn't hear back for a few weeks, I followed up and was told that he would like to meet in person to go over options. We met February 15. After not receiving the quote for a few weeks after this meeting, I followed up again and was promised a quote by March 15. As of March 26, about 2 and half months since I initiated contact, I still haven't received a quote. This is for a $15 - 20K job. I suspect this is a good contractor but the poor communications are worrisome.

Work Completed On 03/26/2017

Dear Mr. [Member Name Removed], First Impression Hardscapes would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We hope that that things have been resolved and have progressed in positive fashion since. Please, let us know if we may be of further assistance to you. Thank you for time.

03/21/2017

Denise D.

While the work went well initially, the end of the job (when foreman was not present) did not go well and wall had to be fixed twice - because the first repair was sloppy and created additional damage. Work was completed a little over 3 years ago and wall is again cracking. If using this provider I recommend the homeowner be present for duration of job to ensure proper attention to detail and understand if there is an problem your correspondence may not promptly be addressed.

Description of Work
Had a retaining wall and pavers installed.

Work Completed On 03/01/2017

11/14/2016

Deborah F.

Very thorough preparation--removal of prior driveway, substantial excavation to permit required base of crushed stone and sand, concrete footings around perimeter of driveway to stabilize edges of paver driveway. Very nice work setting pavers, setting trim pavers on edges, trimming pavers to fit where driveway wasn't square, and applying polymeric sand to seal joints.

Description of Work
replaced asphalt driveway with pavers

Work Completed On 09/27/2016

08/04/2016

Patricia H.

Dustin was good to work with. He listened to what I wanted and also made some suggestions. The contractors arrived on time at day break and worked until dark to finish the job on time. They worked very hard. We have been very pleased with the result.

Description of Work
Installed a forty foot front walkway and built two steps on the side of front porch. Also fixed a drainage issue front the downspout near the walkway. They removed existing pavers and stacked behind our shed for us to use on another project. This was a fairly long walk up hill.

Work Completed On 04/29/2016

06/27/2016

Bill and Barbara T.

I signed a contract in January 2016 with First Impressions Hardscapes to extend my patio this year. The work was done in March In setting up the frame they drove a stake in the ground and broke a pipe in our underground sprinkler system. When the technician from the sprinkler system can to turn on our sprinkler they noticed that one area was not working. Upon investigation they discovered that the pipe was broken. I called First Impressions Hardscapes and advised them of what had happened when their people came to extend our patio.We took pictures of the broken pipe and sent it to First Impressions Hardscapes along with a copy of the bill I received from the sprinkler company. In May I contacted First Impressions Hardscapes but there was no response. I contacted them again in early June and still no response. On June 21st I again contacted the representative of First Impressions Hardscapes and was told the request would be passed on to the billing department. The company, in my opinion was refusing to reimburse me for the damage they incurred until I advised them that I was going to write a letter to the Better Business Bureau and Angie's List. I received an email on June 22 stating that they would pay for the damage. To date I have not received payment. I will not recommend then to anyone.

Description of Work
First Impressions Hardscape extended our patio.

Category concrete repair, hardscaping, patios